• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone Tinker With XNA Beta?

sirris

Has anyone here tried working with the XNA beta yet?
If so, do you really need C programming language to work with it?
Any info anyone has about it is appreciated. I'd really like to get my feet wet
and I think this may be a great way to start doing that. I know they are going
to offer 360 support and game trading over Live in future iterations.

bluemax

Banned
You actually need C#. Right now XNA only works with MS VC#Express, so if you're like me and have the full version of VS2005, you'll still need to install VC#Express.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Its more like Java than C++, but you should be able to pick it up easily if you know either.

bluemax

Banned
Wikipedia said:
XNA Framework

The XNA Framework is based on the .NET Framework 2.0. It has been designed with an extensive set of class libraries, specific to game development exercises, to promote maximal code reuse across target platforms. It will also include a version of the Common Language Runtime, which is optimized for gaming requirements, to provide a managed execution environment to the XNA games. The runtime will be available for Windows XP, Windows Vista and the Xbox 360. Since XNA games will be written for the runtime, XNA games will run on any platform supporting the XNA framework, with minimal or no modification. Games targeting the XNA framework can be written using the C# language.

The XNA Framework thus encapsulates low-level technological details involved in coding a game, making sure that the framework itself takes care of the difference between platforms when games are ported from one compatible platform to another, and thereby allowing game developers to focus more on the content and gaming experience. The XNA framework will integrate with a number of tools, such as XACT [1] etc., to aid in content creation, as well. These tools can help author the visuals or sounds in the game, and model characters with life-like dynamism.

Currently games on the XNA framework can only be written using Microsoft's own C# programming language. XNA FAQ

In short XNA let's you write your game once independent of hardware, and then it can later be interpreted on 360/PC without having to overhaul your code.

It is not a game engine like say Torque or something.

Top Bottom