• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone use Mail in OSX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I get mail, the dock icon shows a red dot with a number in it. Sometimes it's 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. What the hell does it mean? It changes all the time, and I can't figure it out.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
That's the number of unread emails you have.

Really? Must be a glitch or something, but at work when I received ONE email, it said 3 in the circle... I only had one unread. Weirdness.

Macam

Banned
I don't believe there's a way to turn it off by default, but I'm sure there's a program or hack for that. If it says 3 unread messages in the Dock, you may have unread messages in your Junk folder if the filter is turned on (check Junk under Preferences). Also make sure the Search field in the top right is empty, as it may not be displaying all of your messages if something is in there.

ckohler

I really like Mail. Simple, easy. No extra fluff. It works great.

As for the extra numbers, do you have more than one inbox configured? Or maybe you have unread messages in other folders than your inbox?

I've got Entourage (Office 2004), I just don't trust it to be as clean and simple as Mail. I'm sure it's loaded with tons of extra features I'll never use. Plus the new Mail.app cinubg in Tiger has tons of integration with both Spotlight and iPhoto.

I use both Mail and Entourage and even though Entourage has more features, I still prefer Mail. I hate that Entourage doesn't let you have the option of turning off the no pictures display, and it seems to be very slow in displaying the mail. Mail on the other hand is simple and easy, the way a mail program should be.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Mail's great if you don't want to make emails embedded with HTML code.

I find Thuderbird superior, though it sucks I can't use my VCards with it.

Address book support *sucks* on MACs when going from email package to email package.

hobart

I don't remember precisely what they were... but I do remember getting slightly excited at the upgrades to Mail listed in Jobs' keynote for Mail in Tiger.

Kola

I've been using Mail for quite a time, very slick and cool interface. But since I've got a Gmail account I've stopped using Mail. I need to access my mails whereever I am and I don't carry my notebook around with me all the time.

Gantz said:
Entourage > mail.app :D

Are you insane?! Entourage is a slow, clunky mess. Like others, I love Mail for being simple, and quite fast.

Kola said:
I've been using Mail for quite a time, very slick and cool interface. But since I've got a Gmail account I've stopped using Mail. I need to access my mails whereever I am and I don't carry my notebook around with me all the time.

I know you can access your Gmail vial Apple Mail, but that doesn't really help you. Too bad its via POP and not IMAP, otherwise you could use both.

Phoenix

FortNinety said:
Are you insane?! Entourage is a slow, clunky mess. Like others, I love Mail for being simple, and quite fast.

Uh, what version of Entourage are you using? Entourage 2004 is neither slow nor clunky.

gigapower said:
Yep, Phoenix speaks the truth. I really like Entourage 2004.

Interesting... I've heard Office 2004 in general to be slow (slower than X). Am I wrong? If so, I might get the suite just for Office (I'll stick with Mail, thank you very much).

Phoenix

FortNinety said:
Interesting... I've heard Office 2004 in general to be slow (slower than X). Am I wrong? If so, I might get the suite just for Office (I'll stick with Mail, thank you very much).

Whomever told you that must have heard from a friend of a friend of a friend with 128MB of RAM on a G3 that it ran slower on his machine because Office 2004 has been a much better experience for me than Office X EVER was.

Phoenix said:
Whomever told you that must have heard from a friend of a friend of a friend with 128MB of RAM on a G3 that it ran slower on his machine because Office 2004 has been a much better experience for me than Office X EVER was.

Well... again, this just proves that you can't trust jack shit from idiots on Mac forums. The GAF has proven itself ten times more valuable than the MacAddict forums or the ResExcellence combines.

So... just to make clear, since I'm a hardcore Word User, is 2004 better than X? I heard that it was slower and that the akward text rendering that I hate so much in X is still present.

Hell, now that I looked, I even asked about this not too long ago but didn't get too many responses.

God's Hand said:
Really? Must be a glitch or something, but at work when I received ONE email, it said 3 in the circle... I only had one unread. Weirdness.

This also could be mail that is in your Junk box. Sometimes it happens. For me my box is always 150+ from all the work and junk mail sent to me. Guess that is what happens when you have 3 active e-mail accounts all the time.

gigapower

I should say that my machine is a Dual G5 1.8Ghz with 1GB of RAM and it Office 2004 runs really smooth for me.

FortNinety have you though about trying Pages?

Phoenix

I run Office 2004 on a Dual 2.5Ghz box and a 1.25Ghz Powerbook. Both run it fine - I do have 1GB of RAM though, and I think that is the key.

gigapower said:
I should say that my machine is a Dual G5 1.8Ghz with 1GB of RAM and it Office 2004 runs really smooth for me.

FortNinety have you though about trying Pages?

I have thought about it. I'm just worried about compatibility issues.

Phoenix said:
I run Office 2004 on a Dual 2.5Ghz box and a 1.25Ghz Powerbook. Both run it fine - I do have 1GB of RAM though, and I think that is the key.

Well I have a eMac running 1Ghz and 1GB of ram, so I would assume that 2004 will run fine for me.

missAran

In theory Entourage can replace Mail, iCal, and Address Book -- but my guess is that using Mail, iCal, and Address Book is still better. As a general rule, I usually use Apple's software to Microsoft's.

Fort: Yes, I'm running an eMac with less memory and it works very quickly. But still, no read receipts, which is bad for my line of work. I'm going to ask to see if Thunderbird is OK with my IT guy,

Aran: I use iCal lot, but mainly to publish schedules on out intranet. It's good, barebones stuff, and great for a cross-platform environment.

missAran

WasabiKing said:
Aran: I use iCal lot, but mainly to publish schedules on out intranet. It's good, barebones stuff, and great for a cross-platform environment.
When it comes to minimalism, Apple does it best. I had the "standard" Apple set up until AdiumX adulterated it. Now, I'm even considering going the Camino / Thunderbird route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom