• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: Private lives exposed by Wikileaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replicant

What a bunch of ASSHOLES. The repercussion for that Saudi man could be severe but do these ASSHOLES care?

Same with the rape victims. What is the purpose of leaking the name of the victims? This action is a harassment and should be treated as such.

Altazor

if anyone cares, WL denied they were involved in this:
No, WikiLeaks did not disclose "gays" to the Saudi govt. Data is from govt & not leaked by us. Story from 2015. Re-run now due to election.

In any case, whatever the truth is, the fact remains that innocent people's lives are at risk due to a careless, unnecessary leak.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
if anyone cares, WL denied they were involved in this:

In any case, whatever the truth is, the fact remains that innocent people's lives are at risk due to a careless, unnecessary leak.

What the hell does this story have to do with the election?

Apollo

Banned
You come in here specifically to say this yet you don't clarify what you mean?

because I don't have to explain myself to you or anyone. Getting sick of ppl on this site always trying to change other ppl's views. Deal with it....I love leaks.

Debirudog

wikileaks basically sent a gay man to die.

it doesn't get anymore simple to read that there existence brings nothing but trouble.

cdyhybrid

because I don't have to explain myself to you or anyone. Getting sick of ppl on this site always trying to change other ppl's views. Deal with it....I love leaks.

You don't have to explain yourself, but we also don't need to wait for you to explain yourself to find your posts incredibly distasteful :3

An innocent man in Saudi Arabia is probably going to be put to death because of wikileaks. Wikileaks is garbage.

Remember that Assange considered 1300 deaths a price well worth paying for what he saw as a good thing.

When I try to question him about the morality of what he's done, if he worries about unleashing something that he can't control, that no one can control, he tells me the story of the Kenyan 2007 elections when a WikiLeak document "swung the election".

The leak exposed massive corruption by Daniel Arap Moi, and the Kenyan people sat up and took notice. In the ensuing elections, in which corruption became a major issue, violence swept the country. "1,300 people were eventually killed, and 350,000 were displaced. That was a result of our leak," says Assange. It's a chilling statistic, but then he states: "On the other hand, the Kenyan people had a right to that information and 40,000 children a year die of malaria in Kenya. And many more die of money being pulled out of Kenya, and as a result of the Kenyan shilling being debased."

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2010/aug/01/julian-assange-wikileaks-afghanistan

If you look at malaria in Kenya things were going pretty well before 2007 in reducing the number of deaths but the upheaval caused by the violence undid all that progress.

http://www.who.int/malaria/publications/country-profiles/profile_ken_en.pdf

Xe4

Banned
This is just stupid.

A leak about what Sony is up to, a leak about what horrible things North Korea is up to is not the same like outing a gay man in Saudi Arabia.

One leak is harmless, another neccessary, the last harmful.)))
I was making a joke, paroding all lives matter. Sorry I wasn't more clear : )

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
wikileaks basically sent a gay man to die.

it doesn't get anymore simple to read that there existence brings nothing but trouble.

An innocent man in Saudi Arabia is probably going to be put to death because of wikileaks. Wikileaks is garbage.

No he will (should) not. The Saudi authorities detained him some time ago. Wikileaks leaked his name along this fact. The issue here is that the identity of said man has been revealed to people who weren't aware of his arrest.

It's still a supremely scummy thing to do, specially considering that Saudi society is hardly accepting of gays. Wikileaks trying to say that it's no big deal because the Saudi government already had that information and that this is all a smear campaign utterly reeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom