• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: Private lives exposed by Wikileaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenov

CqjAOv_UkAA27k6.jpg
I imagine Assange himself typing this up, in his little dingy corner of the Ecuadorian embassy. All hunched over and intensely paranoid at every sound outside the room.

Hazmat

That first week or so where Wikileaks seemed cool before exposing themselves to be unbearable assholes was pretty neat.

Armaros

Lately Wikileaks has been doing a stellar job of proving it's a credible organization. Their Twitter account is now linking to Vince Foster conspiracy theories from the Daily Mail.

WikiLeaks had 'Ukraine was using the airliner as a decoy so thats why Russia shot it down' on their twitter.

Jenov

This is why I feel movies about Assange, Snowden, etc. are released way too soon. History isn't written until decades after.

The Bush movie by Oliver Stone didn't even mention sub-prime, Enron, or all the other economic disasters Bush oversaw, which if they made that movie today would be a larger focus I feel like, and 10 years from now might be about the patriot act.

Agreed.

taoofjord

I imagine Assange himself typing this up, in his little dingy corner of the Ecuadorian embassy. All hunched over and intensely paranoid at every sound outside the room.

Do we have any proof that Assange is still the man in charge as opposed to the public figurehead?

When Assange was on Bill Maher he said "we're working on it" in regard to getting their hands on a d releasing Trump's tax returns. The following day the Wikileaks twitter account denied this. This could be taken to mean that there's some division within the organization. Or am I possible misreading the situation?

Oersted

The point is, someone somewhere thought there was value in releasing this stuff. Proponents of Wikileaks come in all shapes and sizes. Its use can be co-opted by anyone, with any agenda. The concepts of journalistic standards, integrity, confidentiality, exist for reasons and they aren't all about keeping people in the dark. When these things are foregone for the sake of transparency, there will be side effects, as demonstrated in the OP. That is what I mean about not considering the consequences.

No. The sideeffect of blowing the whistle on warcrime is not posting the adresses of rape victims online.

It is the effect of being against secrecy which many at Wikileaks disagreed with and abandoned it.

Yeah, thanks to Wikileaks the people of the Middle East are now safe.

Did you even think a second before writing this.

This is why I feel movies about Assange, Snowden, etc. are released way too soon. History isn't written until decades after.

The Bush movie by Oliver Stone didn't even mention sub-prime, Enron, or all the other economic disasters Bush oversaw, which if they made that movie today would be a larger focus I feel like, and 10 years from now might be about the patriot act.

No. Snowden went lengths to make sure too private or dangerous infos do not get leaked.
Wikileaks is just dumping stuff online at this point.

Hell, Snowden just openly critized Wikileaks for the very same thing this article critizes Wikileaks.

kavanf1

No. The sideeffect of blowing the whistle on warcrime is not posting the adresses of rape victims online.

It is the effect of being against secrecy which many at Wikileaks disagreed with and abandoned it.
I think it's clear that the concept of Wikileaks was always destined to fail - the revelations in this thread only emphasise that. The clue is in the name. When something's reason for existence is to leak stuff, then regardless of how noble the original intentions, it's just going to be a matter of time before it gets used for something beyond its original purpose.

The hypocrisy in Assange's position is palpable. He is Doctor Frankenstein and now he's trying to disown the monster.

Joni

Just to clarify, wikileaks aren't Trump supporters, just disgruntled Bernie fans who would see the world burn over having Hillary run the US. See the recent episode of Real Time With Bill Maher that featured Assange to get clear signs of this.
No, they are Putin supporters. They support Trump because Putin does. They have nothing to do with Bernie.

In addition to outing the Saudi man, the site has published the names of teenage rape victims, medical records, financial data, and information relating to paternity disputes, custody fights, and other family concerns, the AP reports.

WikiLeaks has published highly personal data on many private citizens around the world, including the name of a Saudi Arabian man arrested for being gay, an Associated Press investigation has found.

Publishing the name of the Saudi man is “an extraordinary move given that homosexuality can lead to social ostracism, a prison sentence or even death in the ultraconservative Muslim kingdom,” the AP reported today.

The news service, which is not publishing names or other identifying details from the WikiLeaks files, contacted 23 people who were affected. Most of them live in Saudi Arabia, where the site is censored, so they did not know their information had appeared there. Some were unfazed when told of the situation, but some were “horrified,” the AP notes.

“This is a disaster,” said a Saudi woman who had taken on debt to support a relative who was ill, without telling other members of her family. “What if my brothers, neighbors, people I know or even don’t know have seen it? What is the use of publishing my story?”

International LGBT rights activist Scott Long told the AP that with the publication of personal information on anyone persecuted for being gay, “you’re legitimizing their surveillance, not combating it.”

Assange did not respond to the news service’s multiple requests for an interview, nor did he answer written questions it sent. After the AP published its article, he tweeted that it was “recycled news” and “not even worth a headline.” Assange lives at the Ecuadorian embassy in London, where he was granted asylum after being accused of rape and sexual assault in Sweden.

Assange and other WikiLeaks officials once said they had a process in place to prevent private citizens’ information from being exposed, with journalists and others going over documents to flag and/or redact sensitive data. But that process eventually fell apart, as Assange found it delayed the release of information, and now there is apparently little scrutiny of leaked files before they are posted, the AP reports.

Assange is fucking garbage.

Wikileaks is garbage.

I hope no one who hated what Gawker did to Hogan and Thiel are pro wikileaks.

http://www.advocate.com/media/2016/8/23/wikileaks-outs-saudi-gay-man-rape-victims-and-more

Debirudog

What the fuck is with this bullshit.

Russialeaks needs to burn. Fuck this needless and reckless terrorist organization that is basically endangering an innocent man's life.

Ahasverus

And there is this guy here on GAF with an Assange avatar that calls it "hero".

Screw everyone who is behind these Putin shills, coward human trash.

I had a journalism teacher that was a huge Assange fan and still occasionally raves about him on Facebook. What a fucking time to be alive.

Debirudog

Assange and other WikiLeaks officials once said they had a process in place to prevent private citizens’ information from being exposed, with journalists and others going over documents to flag and/or redact sensitive data. But that process eventually fell apart, as Assange found it delayed the release of information, and now there is apparently little scrutiny of leaked files before they are posted, the AP reports.
I think this pretty much says it all about Assange. Fuck this guy's safety, let's just release the information already...and for what???

But he's a rapist, so it's not surprising.

Damerman

the best outcome of this is if, and this is a massive if, the world decides to finally call saudi arabia on it's bullshit and cut that country down if it commits any atrocities against gays.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
image.php

"Not even worth a headline"

Fuck you, Assange. I'm glad that he's been essentially imprisoned in that embassy, he pretty much jailed himself.

Assange is now touring his new book who "prove" that ISIS was armed by Clinton and the US planned to overthrow the syrian "government".

He just became a glorified satellite of RT.
He is doing a lot of damage in the "radical left" worldwide though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom