• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP Top News AP Exclusive: 'Bathroom bill' to cost North Carolina $3.76B over 12 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Despite Republican assurances that North Carolina's "bathroom bill" isn't hurting the economy, the law limiting LGBT protections will cost the state more than $3.76 billion in lost business over a dozen years, according to an Associated Press analysis.

The AP analysis (http://apne.ws/2n9GSjE ) — compiled through interviews and public records requests — represents the largest reckoning yet of how much the law, passed one year ago, could cost the state. The law excludes gender identity and sexual orientation from statewide antidiscrimination protections, and requires transgender people to use restrooms corresponding to the sex on their birth certificates in many public buildings.

Still, AP's tally ( http://bit.ly/2o9Dzdd ) is likely an underestimation of the law's true costs. The count includes only data obtained from businesses and state or local officials regarding projects that canceled or relocated because of HB2. A business project was counted only if AP determined through public records or interviews that HB2 was why it pulled out.

Bank of America CEO Brian Moynihan — who leads the largest company based in North Carolina — said he's spoken privately to business leaders who went elsewhere with projects or events because of the controversy, and he fears more decisions like that are being made quietly.

"Companies are moving to other places because they don't face an issue that they face here," he told a World Affairs Council of Charlotte luncheon last month. "What's going on that you don't know about? What convention decided to take you off the list? What location for a distribution facility took you off the list? What corporate headquarters consideration for a foreign company — there's a lot of them out there just took you off the list because they just didn't want to be bothered with the controversy? That's what eats you up."
C77bsTMXwAAWHP1.jpg

https://apnews.com/fa4528580f3e4a01bb68bcb272f1f0f8/AP-Exclusive:-'Bathroom-bill'-to-cost-North-Carolina-$3.76B?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=APSouthRegion

Wish North Carolina would give me, say, $0.01% of that loss so I could redo my bathroom, and then I'd gladly invite any people NC considers undesirables to use it.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
But they love money. Someone on their end needs to do a hate vs money cost benefit to understand how and when they actually focus on profiting off of the LBGTQ group versus spewing vitriol against them.

Afrodium

Banned
Hold up, how can this be when the Republicans are the party of personal freedom and fiscal responsibility? 🤔

bionic77

Discrimination, much like freedom, isn't free.

And there are a lot of shitty Americans who are willing to pay the price to be disgusting human beings.

Maybe "God's Will" can compensate them.

They've got a contradiction here. Catering to the free market or catering to fundementalists.

And Texas wants its own bathroom bill ugh

Yep. All this because people are frightened of a non-existent threat/seek to torture a group of people who just want to be left alone. But I guess that's the tenor of a lot of GOP/Christian policies nowadays.

old

I thought Republicans were "pro-business".

It's all they talk about especially when it comes to workers rights, consumer rights, and social spending.

Ridley327

Texas keep playing with that bullshit

Does the GOP in the state figure that the businesses that are already firmly rooted in the state would be help weather the storm that would undoubtedly happen? I just can't understand what they have to gain in votes for a base that isn't likely to vote outside of the party in the first place with how much they stand to lose in state business.

Guevara

It's probably something crazy like $100,000 per transgender person denied access to a bathroom.

Hard not to take that personally!

Slayven

Does the GOP in the state figure that the businesses that are already firmly rooted in the state would be help weather the storm that would undoubtedly happen? I just can't understand what they have to gain in votes for a base that isn't likely to vote outside of the party in the first place with how much they stand to lose in state business.

The NFL told them not to do it, and the governor told them to piss off.

hom3land

Such a cluster fuck. The only thing good that came out of this is a new beer was created. After HB2 was passed, tons of breweries in nc got together and created "Don't be mean to people a Golden rule sasion" it was a limited release but now it's a regular on tap at my local brewery. Proceeds go to LGBT organizations.

i3sc5Bm.jpg

"Conservatives" continue to cut social programs just to waste money on bigotry.
Its insane to me that their priorities skew this way but... c'mon, they've lost or are losing every other fight.

Kept black people down for as long as humanly possible, eventually told to fuck off.

'Okay, fine but surely you guys still hate 'the gays'?'

Told to fuck off on every front and then gay marriage passes as a federal law.

Now they're targeting transgender people and whilst they will still continue to fight against black people, gay people and - to an extent - women they've got their new 'vogue' target and they'll throw everything at making sure they don't look like a bunch of cunts again. They will.

Tripon

The NFL told them not to do it, and the governor told them to piss off.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/03/24/straus-fiercely-condemns-bathroom-bill-talks-local-control/

Texas House Speaker is also opposed.

Texas House Speaker Joe Straus on Friday gave perhaps his harshest condemnation yet of the controversial “bathroom bill” championed by Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick.

Straus said the bill, which has drawn the ire of Texas businesses and been criticized as discriminatory against transgender people, felt “manufactured and unnecessary.”

“If we’ve gotten to the point in our civilization, in our society, that our politicians have to pass bills about bathroom stuff ... I mean, we’ve gotten really out of control,” he said.

"For it to get this much attention in a legislative session is astounding to me," he added.

It's important to note that the $3.76 billion number is the absolute low end of the scale based on this analysis - they only counted losses that they could absolutely attribute to the bathroom bill, but other losses which may have (or will) occurred but weren't blamed publicly on the bill weren't counted.

it's funny because if they want their way a woman who has completely transformed and looks like a man will have to urinate in the women's restroom and their poor granddaughters will have to see it

it's funny because if they want their way a woman who has completely transformed and looks like a man will have to urinate in the women's restroom and their poor granddaughters will have to see it

i'd imagine they don't think that will happen because part of their vision for the future is probably to ostracize transsexuals with such intensity that people give up on transitioning.

doesn't seem to be working out for them.

NandoGip

While I seriously enjoy these homophobic, bigoted fuckers getting what they deserve, I'm increasingly becoming more and more weary about how much influence corporations have on our lives.

The way we wage war politically nowadays is through the movements the giant companies make based on our feedback. If our politicians fuck up we plead to our overlords to take a stance against it. It's like making a deal with the devil.

most of the state assembly doesn't care that about the losses, because it disproportionally impacts cities with people that they don't even pretend to represent. Many of them want the cities to suffer the same decline and hardship that the rural places in NC have gone through during the tobacco wars/bailout and deindustrialization.

deadlast

This shit is driving normal NC people crazy. Religious zealots are the assholes behind all of this. I wish we could sue over this bill.

turtle553

That would be a pretty good protest. Have fully transitioned men just stay in the women's room in public areas to demonstrate the craziness of the law and how they are doing nothing illegal. Like the statehouse bathrooms.

That would be a pretty good protest. Have fully transitioned men just stay in the women's room in public areas to demonstrate the craziness of the law and how they are doing nothing illegal. Like the statehouse bathrooms.

That took place before. It should happen often though because apparently it wasn't clear enough. The people who make these laws think trans people are just faking for attention anyway so it's hard to get it through their thick heads

tomtom94

Disappointed that the given reason seems to be "we don't like controversy" not "we don't like discrimination" but still pleasing to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom