• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple’s M2 Pro and M2 Max are FAST! Mac gaming benchmarks

Are you excited for the ARM future?

• Yes!

Votes: 62 49.6%
  • No, I like drawing 1,000w+ while gaming.

Votes: 63 50.4%

• Total voters

Skifi28

YsQ41Ew.png

Epic 50/50 split.

calistan

Got one! Went for the 16 inch Macbook Pro with 1TB storage. The screen is beautiful. I'm a bit out of practice with MacOS, it has been many updates since I last used it. Where's the Mac HD icon in the top right?

I'd love to do a gaming benchmark but my Mac Steam library advises me to use a PC.

gMh2rCU.png

STARSBarry

Gold Member
definitly want to see what ARM can do even if I don't personally use a Mac

from the benchmark the M2 max seems to be hitting RTX 2060 + 9600k levels at least in terms of gaming performance

certainly a massive increase over what Mac's previously could achieve which was essentially the ability to play games from 10 years ago via emulator.

Last edited:

calistan

Found a native version of Darwinia (copyright 2005) in my library and that gets about 75 fps. Couldn't hear the fans come on, so either it's silent or it's stuck in some kind of energy saving mode. Not really a games machine, at the end of the day.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I’m all for it, i don’t much about gaming on Mac as I don’t use one (wife loves her MacBook Air) but id definitely give it a shot.

Does steam even work on macs?

I think we should go back to RISC eventually but I want Apple to die. It was complete crap having to pay for a subscription service to run your own software on your own iOS device. I'm glad they fixed that now but I'm not going back.

calistan

I just splash-ed 4k dollars on M2 Max 14" due to wanting to have a lot of RAM. I hope I will recover from it this month...
Screen size was the priority for me so I went for the 16”. They’re so beautifully built, all smooth curves and flush edges. Weighs about the same as my old 13” 2009 model. The sky is the limit for pricing though!

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Screen size was the priority for me so I went for the 16”. They’re so beautifully built, all smooth curves and flush edges. Weighs about the same as my old 13” 2009 model. The sky is the limit for pricing though!
I have capable PC, this is just for the coding in bed and mac/iOS part. I needed Max, because I am now at the position for porting games, so I said why not MacOS, I am pretty good at writing bindings from any Graphical api to metal, so I need that POWER. Thankfully I buy it for a price which is what is my current salary, which is huge here in CEE.

SNG32

You’re an idiot, gaming isn’t the idea of Apple and not why people purchase them. Look at video processing times, and export they blow everything out of the water. Even gaming through virtual machine now they’re managing just fine for those weirdos who play games on laptops.

The M2 Pro chips are actually fucking insane, you have single core speeds the same as a i9 12900, multicore speeds the same as a 3960x threadripper. All while being a cm thin with display and lasting 20 hours on a charge and this is only their second gen. They have the best chip engineers in the business at the point right now.

If I could get one of these and they put boot camp on it I would be all over it, my Carbon X1 even being the best of PC laptops in its class is absolute crud bucket in comparison and sick of the absolute turd battery life of real world use being 6-8 hours.

If people can’t see ARM is the future I feel sorry for them.
Until I see that big dick cpu running last of us part 1 better then I9 I don’t I don’t give two shits. Gaming is trash on a Mac and it is not for me.

Hardensoul

I played World of Warcraft on my Christmas vacation. Game played steady 60fps in 20 man raid and during the Community Feast event which can lag the whole zone, I had no issues with the M1 on my Macbook 512GB. WoW seems to be a really good port, other than that I don't play games on my MacBook

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Expect more big games on Mac, with my name plastered as a lead port engineer :messenger_sunglasses:

That's great to hear! Congratulations.

While you wait for M1chi do his handywork, you can check Asahi Linux which is a distro for mac silicon. The team has gotten proton working and 2d games are playable. 3d games partially since they're still in the process of reverse engineering the apple gpus, but some do work.

MadPanda

Banned
Either way, I agree that ARM and Silicone are the future. I wouldn't be surprised if our gaming is mostly relegated on small form factor machines like Mac Mini or NUC or your Phone even in the next decade. Power draw on these things are amazing as well.
That's what the talk was around the lunch of ps4 and xbox one. Yet a decade later and nothing has changed despite the massive improvement in power and mobile games. Why would it in the next decade?

lmimmfn

When I worked in Apple in '97 it wasn't interested in gaming other than backwards compatibility, it's still not interested in gaming(other than mobile gaming with that sweet cut), it's only a niche part of the ecosystem and will remain so until they take it seriously.

Last edited:
That's what the talk was around the lunch of ps4 and xbox one. Yet a decade later and nothing has changed despite the massive improvement in power and mobile games. Why would it in the next decade?
Yeah. Until someone out there makes a portable/hybrid gaming PC running on ARM that rivals Steam Deck (or ROG Ally if that becomes a contender)...

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah. Until someone out there makes a portable/hybrid gaming PC running on ARM that rivals Steam Deck (or ROG Ally if that becomes a contender)...

Now that sounds solid! Or just iPAD's with a controller/ mini iPAD with handles like what some companies make, even Sony does for phones:

hddyuYQB72Cb59wddbtezX.jpg

M1/M2 could come to phones later when we reach 1nm, I guess.

Last edited:
Top Bottom