• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Event Jan19 |OT| Students of the US... you've nothing to lose but your bookbags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Highlighting interactive content is dumb IMO.

It's not about the quality of the books. It's about the price/business model, and content availability/partners.

LCfiner

It's not about the quality of the books. It's about the price/business model, and content availability/partners.

I Imagine that's coming later in the presentation. If it doesn't then all this is relatively useless.

The price of these books has me very worried, especially considering you probably wont be able to share them or gift them later on to others like you would an actual paper based book

angelfly

Real whiz-bang of a conference they have going so far.

73f77b2e-817a-4482-9633-2e22a4d37cfa.jpg

So they consider the iPad to be durable? I can throw my textbooks across the room all day long and they'd still be perfectly usable.

sk3

Banned
No public school will have this shit. This is for rich private schools. For Uni, there may be a paper version and an ibooks version, but this will not revolutionize anything.

bob page

How is it dumb? It keeps a log of your highlights in each area of the book so you can keep track of important content, then make note cards/questions out of them.

All of this looks great. I wish this would have come a few years earlier when I was still a student.

No public school will have this shit. This is for rich private schools. For Uni, there may be a paper version and an ibooks version, but this will not revolutionize anything.
Their main target is probably going to be college. I can see lots of people dropping $500 on an iPad and using that as their main device for school now, especially vs. the alternatives.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
So they consider the iPad to be durable? I can throw my textbooks across the room all day long and they'd still be perfectly usable.

and what the hell does current mean?

anyway the whole etextbook thing falls apart when you need to use two+ etextbooks at the same time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How is it dumb? It keeps a log of your highlights in each area of the book so you can keep track of important content, then make note cards/questions out of them.

All of this looks great. I wish this would have come a few years earlier when I was still a student.

Who cares if the content availability isn't there?

SimleuqiR

The price of these books has me very worried, especially considering you probably wont be able to share them or gift them later on to others like you would an actual paper based book

I wonder what the cost difference is between building an iPad (or any ebook device) versus actually making a book, and what effect it has on the environment?

Is it really more eco friendly?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Shouldn't we wait until the end to see if they announce any partners?

If you want I can just lock the thread so that people don't react prematurely, but as-is I think it's pretty typical that people react to announcements in the order that they occur.

sk3

Banned
So there we go. Students in public schools now have to pay for their own books.

That's not going to work.

sruckus

Why can't schools pay for them? They have many advantages and it'd be like $15 * number of students each quarter. Not that bad,

I wonder what the cost difference is between building an iPad (or any ebook device) versus actually making a book, and what effect it has on the environment?

Is it really more eco friendly?

Just one book? Nope, but who's going to load just one book onto their iPad?

nel e nel

How many folks hating on this have been in college recently?

$499 can be the average cost of textbooks for one semester, especially in the sciences. And what if the department decides to change textbooks after a semester? Or a revised edition comes out? Well, that chemistry textbook you thought would last you 3 semesters is now out of date.

I really hope for the sake of students - and especially ones that rely on grants/scholarships/work to pay for tuition - that we are seeing the beginning of a new way of dealing with textbooks.

Kindle already has some offerings, but there is a desperate need for an overhaul in that segment of the education industry.

survivor

Banned

$499 can be the average cost of textbooks for one semester, especially in the sciences. And what if the department decides to change textbooks after a semester? Or a revised edition comes out? Well, that chemistry textbook you thought would last you 3 semesters is now out of date.

I really hope for the sake of students - and especially ones that rely on grants/scholarships/work to pay for tuition - that we are seeing the beginning of a new way of dealing with textbooks.

Kindle already has some offerings, but there is a desperate need for an overhaul in that segment of the education industry.

Is there a way to resell these books? I always do that for my college books and generally either make a profit or get close to making my money back.

Tobor

If you want I can just lock the thread so that people don't react prematurely, but as-is I think it's pretty typical that people react to announcements in the order that they occur.

That wasn't my point, it was just fairly obvious they were going to announce the content at the end.

I hope so as well.

I hope to see independent authors start making textbooks for iBooks given how easy it seems to be.

kehs

Banned

Most professors will also tell you that it's bullshit, and you can get away with older "revisions" because most "updates" are minor things that have little impact on the subject matter.

Posted this in the other thread, but thought it fit in here too. As a future teacher my only concern so far is books that are written and designed around state specific achievement tests. In Florida many of our textbooks are designed for the FCAT tests and as of now the books look like they aren't that differentiated.

Tobor

So there we go. Students in public schools now have to pay for their own books.

That's not going to work.

If its a personal iPad, yes. If its the school's iPad, they could pay for and download the books by grade before handing them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom