• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple has cancelled the electric car project after a decade and billions of dollars

daffyduck

Game Of Thrones Wow GIF by SoulPancake

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
With everyone switching to making sex robots, the rate of advancement is going to be insane.

I suspect in ten years we would have people protesting about the treatment of sex robots. In 20 years, those sex robots will be protesting themselves. In 30 years, the regenerative AI will make Terminator.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I think most manufacturers know that electric cars are not making sense financially. The world hasn't moved the needle on that to make it profitable, the infrastructure for it is still in baby steps.

Apple should focus on innovation.

jason10mm

Gold Member
With everyone switching to making sex robots, the rate of advancement is going to be insane.

I suspect in ten years we would have people protesting about the treatment of sex robots. In 20 years, those sex robots will be protesting themselves. In 30 years, the regenerative AI will make Terminator.
I'm failing to see a problem?
g4QyCoZ.jpg
yH6lXBx.jpg

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Margins are super low (compared to regular Apple products), you have to keep service parts for decades, regulation, etc.

Never made sense in my eyes for Them to do it. Tesla was a lucky combo of hype thats not achivable by big corpos and they dont have a country pushing for market entry like China does.

cormack12

Gold Member

We will see how much diversity sells when sex robots are mainstream. Can't wait to see the visage of elephant man with a sickly paunch on offer.

Billbofet

Wait, Apple was going to invent electric vehicles?!?!?!
Bummer. Imagine how cool that would be, cars running on electricity!!!

Neon Xenon

This is the very first I've heard of this electric car project from Apple, but I'm not surprised in the least that a massive tech company had an extremely expensive project that they eventually dropped.

You know the Google Graveyard? Wonder how big the Apple Graveyard is.

Quasicat

GM no longer supports Carplay, I no longer look at GM for cars.
Don't know what my next vehicle will be, Maybe an electric Ford Truck.
Absolutely. I went from an Equinox to a Tucson for that very reason. It’s also a big reason why I didn’t even look at Tesla.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

Crazy we’ll probably only be on GTA 8 by then

xrnzaaas

Too bad, I bet they would put some premium car brands to shame when it comes to the creativity of naming and pricing options that should be standard on the car.

sankt-Antonio

I don't understand how bad your project planning must be for you to take 10 years to realize the idea is bad.
You have to get in the trenches and spend money to know how, when and at what cost autonomous driving is possible.
No one is gonna tell you. Because no one outside of companies doing it know the facts. Musk is full of shit.

Turns out it’s quite far out. As an Apple car that’s not fully autonomous is a no go, the project had to die.

sankt-Antonio

Didn't we know that since a few years ago when Uber was constantly pushing back their strategy to turn all their vehicles into autonomous ones?
Uber's business is delivering pizzas and being a fancy taxi app, not cutting edge of autonomous driving, no matter what they told their shareholders.
A guy (Geohotz, famous PS3 hacker has a startup) with a phone and a connection to a cars internal electronics can make it drive on its own, the problem is how to deal with unforeseen circumstances on the road. Sounds trivial, but its the reason this is not happening atm.

SJRB

Gold Member
Like Elon said a decade ago: making a concept car is easy. The hard part is high quality cost efficient production lines.

Kudos to them for trying, though. And respect for throwing in the towel even after spending billions on R&D.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
We'll probably see autonomous cars start to hit the road by 2030. The bigger issue - I think - is that producing and maintaining them is a very expensive business that requires monumental investment. Even if someone else handles the charging grid, you still have to build a nation-wide chain of auto shops in every country which you intend to launch, and train mechanics and create supply chains for spare parts. Not to mention the huge cost of production facilities.

For all the shit that Tesla gets, this is a very difficult thing to achieve and it's not at all clear that it can be done with Apple's usual profit margins. That's the biggest issue here, and I'm surprised Apple was ever confident enough to believe otherwise.

When you add to it the legal and legislative hurdles of getting government approval for your autonomous vehicle in every country which you intend to launch, it seems quite daunting for a non-automotive company.

This would have been orders of magnitude more expensive than launching the iphone, no matter how you look at it.

Top Bottom