• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Can any 6+/S+ owners speak on reading on the device? How is it?

Like ebooks? It's nice. Better than a 5 that's for sure. Screen space is hells appreciated

I still prefer ebooks on e-ink screen > tablets > phones in that order, but if I'm caught in a bind I make do with my S+

johnsmith

remember me
Anybody else's phone stuck on this when trying to open the music player today?

Ivlb0Uc.png

Like ebooks? It's nice. Better than a 5 that's for sure. Screen space is hells appreciated

I still prefer ebooks on e-ink screen > tablets > phones in that order, but if I'm caught in a bind I make do with my S+

Yeah I'm big on ebooks and the experience will determine if I spring for the +.

Red

Anyone else having a lot of trouble with wifi speeds?

These tests were all done on the same network, to the same server. It's frustrating to see my connection constantly fluctuate, and I usually leave wifi off completely now. My 6s+ and my wife's 6s both do the same damn thing. All the other devices on our network are fine.

Tizoc

Just got my iPhone 6S Plus yesterday, thing is really nice but I need to get a screne protecter and a case of sorts for it.
Anyways I'd like some assistance: What are good free apps for
1- Playing video files on an iPhone specifically .mkv files
2- What's a good CBZ and CBR reader app? I got some books via humblebundle.com and I want to read those files on my iPhone.

jts

...hate me...
Just got my iPhone 6S Plus yesterday, thing is really nice but I need to get a screne protecter and a case of sorts for it.
Anyways I'd like some assistance: What are good free apps for
1- Playing video files on an iPhone specifically .mkv files
2- What's a good CBZ and CBR reader app? I got some books via humblebundle.com and I want to read those files on my iPhone.
1-VLC

2-I used do use Cloudreaders and it worked well, but maybe it's not the hot thing anymore though (just looked at it, looks very outdated)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

These tests were all done on the same network, to the same server. It's frustrating to see my connection constantly fluctuate, and I usually leave wifi off completely now. My 6s+ and my wife's 6s both do the same damn thing. All the other devices on our network are fine.

Judging by the time stamps it looks like wifi or server congestion? How many connections share the channel and is the speed pattern consistent in those times of day?

Lupercal

Banned

To many devices at the same time? There's always a cap on wifi and the more on it, the slower it gets.

Try connecting with only your phone on it.

Red

To many devices at the same time? There's always a cap on wifi and the more on it, the slower it gets.

Try connecting with only your phone on it.
Our phones are pretty much all the traffic on the network. I have two PCs and a Chromebook which were not in use at the time of the last two tests. The network is password protected so I shouldn't have any piggybackers.
Judging by the time stamps it looks like wifi or server congestion? How many connections share the channel and is the speed pattern consistent in those times of day?
It feels completely random. You can see how much it changed with minutes in the test from 1/12. Sometimes it's like a hose with a kinked line, that repairs itself after a speed test. It will load nothing, I'll check speeds, then for a few minutes it's fine again. Sometimes I need to reset the entire network. It's very frustrating. I don't know if it is an iPhone problem or a network problem, but like I said I don't have much trouble with my other devices. I can stream HD content on my PCs just fine, but on my phone that's a big fat nope.

My router is a surfboard SB6141. My modem is a 2013 AirPort Extreme. I would not expect problems with these devices.

Noema

These tests were all done on the same network, to the same server. It's frustrating to see my connection constantly fluctuate, and I usually leave wifi off completely now. My 6s+ and my wife's 6s both do the same damn .

Are the iPhones connected to the AirPort via 5Ghz 801.11ac? What about the other devices? Are they on 5ghz or 2.4ghz?

Vyer

Our phones are pretty much all the traffic on the network. I have two PCs and a Chromebook which were not in use at the time of the last two tests. The network is password protected so I shouldn't have any piggybackers.

It feels completely random. You can see how much it changed with minutes in the test from 1/12. Sometimes it's like a hose with a kinked line, that repairs itself after a speed test. It will load nothing, I'll check speeds, then for a few minutes it's fine again. Sometimes I need to reset the entire network. It's very frustrating. I don't know if it is an iPhone problem or a network problem, but like I said I don't have much trouble with my other devices. I can stream HD content on my PCs just fine, but on my phone that's a big fat nope.

My router is a surfboard SB6141. My modem is a 2013 AirPort Extreme. I would not expect problems with these devices.

have you updated the AirPort lately?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
The iPhones are on 5GHz, but everything else should be on 2.4GHz.

It's on the latest firmware.

I don't know what these numbers mean but here is what info I'm getting for the frequencies by way of the iOS app:

Do you have similar issues if you connect the iPhones over 2.4GHz? 5GHz is generally less congested but typically has shorter range, less ideal to use inside buildings with thick walls etc.

Rocketz

So I went out today and picked up the 6s+ since I had an upgrade available on my phone. I was coming from the 5s. Jesus this thing is big. I guess I'm just used to the smaller sized screen I had before. I need to use it for a few days to see if I want to keep it. I want the upgrades but the phone may almost be too big for my liking now that I finally have it.

Red

Do you have similar issues if you connect the iPhones over 2.4GHz? 5GHz is generally less congested but typically has shorter range, less ideal to use inside buildings with thick walls etc.
I haven't tried. I would have to mess with the airport tool on a PC. I don't think that is the problem though. Speed fluctuates regardless of where I am, even if I am standing right next to the airport.

My total internet-connected devices
2 PCs
1 Chromebook
1 Smart TV (rarely connected)
2 iPhones

All these devices are connected to the same network but not all of them have wireless ac or wireless n support, so I assume the airport hands out frequencies per device despite a single 5GHz network being created.

Noema

I haven't tried. I would have to mess with the airport tool on a PC. I don't think that is the problem though. Speed fluctuates regardless of where I am, even if I am standing right next to the airport.

My total internet-connected devices
2 PCs
1 Chromebook
1 Smart TV (rarely connected)
2 iPhones

All these devices are connected to the same network but not all of them have wireless ac or wireless n support, so I assume the airport hands out frequencies per device despite a single 5GHz network being created.

I'd try testing the iPhones over 2.4ghz. Not because of something intrinsic to 5ghz, but rather a problem with the airport having to deal with both protocols.

Sometimes routers give inconsistent performance when they have to deal with several client devices over b, g, n and ac. I had a problem at home where 802.11n devices had horrible performance but g devices worked fine. Turns out the legacy mode the router used to support older b/g devices was the culprit.

haha, yeah I'm super hyped now I've got around to doing it.

I did exact same thing in November, came from an iphone 4 from 2010...

Which gets me to my next question, is there an app where I can use my old iPhone 4 as a remote (viewfinder ans snap photos) to control the camera on my iPhone 6S?

Surprisingly Google search wasn't a big help here.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
We have a couple of speakers around the house with the old 30 pin iPod adopters on them as docks. Looking to add either a Bluetooth or AirPlay adapted to them, and just wondering what the difference would be? Bluetooth is simpler and would also work with my wife's android phone. But if I start playing Spotify on the iPhone over Bluetooth, can I use another app or will anything that plays sound be played over BT (like keyboard clicks or notifications?)

Noema

I did exact same thing in November, came from an iphone 4 from 2010...

Which gets me to my next question, is there an app where I can use my old iPhone 4 as a remote (viewfinder ans snap photos) to control the camera on my iPhone 6S?

Surprisingly Google search wasn't a big help here.

Camera+ has a feature called airsnap which might be what you are looking for.
Camera+ said:
AirSnap’ is a feature with which you can remote control an iPhone or iPad using another so that you can capture photos and videos wirelessly. Simply pair and instantly get to trigger the clicking of photos and videos using any 2 iOS devices like iPhone, iPad and now Apple Watch.

EDIT: Apparently the iPhone 4 is too old to run the app, as it requires iOS 8.

Jimrpg

Has anyone read Daring Fireball's 'review/critique' of the iPhone 6s battery case?

It was on Dec 11, 2015. http://daringfireball.net/

I've generally liked a lot of his writing, and he was kinda biased in the past. But his justification on the battery case is delusional. The battery case is horrible and looks horrible. The morphie cases are so much better. Does Apple really need to show how thin the phone is at all times? There are enough users out there without a case or a thin leather case. It's ridiculous.

NawidA

Banned
Has anyone read Daring Fireball's 'review/critique' of the iPhone 6s battery case?

I've generally liked a lot of his writing, and he was kinda biased in the past. But his justification on the battery case is delusional. The battery case is horrible and looks horrible. The morphie cases are so much better. Does Apple really need to show how thin the phone is at all times? There are enough users out there without a case or a thin leather case. It's ridiculous.
why not just link it?
http://daringfireball.net/2015/12/the_curious_case_of_the_curious_case
price is that case's real crime

Yup.

The iPhone 6S Plus is still such a stunning piece of tech. My favorite iPhone ever. So snappy, and the display is gorgeous. It feels so nice to have the most cutting-edge iPhone on the market instead of being 2 or 3 gens behind. lol

The iPhone 6S Plus is still such a stunning piece of tech. My favorite iPhone ever. So snappy, and the display is gorgeous. It feels so nice to have the most cutting-edge iPhone on the market instead of being 2 or 3 gens behind. lol

Undoubtably the greatest piece of tech I've ever owner... but I still don't love the design. There's an air of cheapness to it when compared to the more premium design of the 5.

Camera+ has a feature called airsnap which might be what you are looking for.

EDIT: Apparently the iPhone 4 is too old to run the app, as it requires iOS 8.

Thanks so much for the reply and research, yup, I noticed the iPhone 4 cannot run it, since the app is only iOS8 an later compatible (iPhone 4 capped out at iOS7xx)

I payed a buck and bought the app anyway and wrote an email to the developer ...Stating that it should at least be iOS7 compatible to make the best use of old idevices (as remote controls) Doubt I'll hear anything back from them.

I did install it on my old iPad 3.. the app is really clunky but works I guess, but it sucks that both devices have to be on Bluetooth AAAAAAND Wifi, which really sucks, since wifi really limits the remote capabilities... (The reason I want this is to go out in the woods, parks and snap Photos on a tripod with me in the shot)

So it doesn't only work on Bluetooh, it also needs wifi and I have to lug my big ass iPad with me and use that as a remote, instead of my tiny iphone 4.

All a developer has to do is make an app that is iOS7 an iPhone 4 compatible and can work reliably only on Bluetooth, with a decent range (couple of meters) And this would be a really useful and a great app. As of now it is very limited and half assed, barely worth a buck.

Red

Undoubtably the greatest piece of tech I've ever owner... but I still don't love the design. There's an air of cheapness to it when compared to the more premium design of the 5.
I don't know if I would call it cheap, but the 5 was definitely a looker. I still like the 4. I'm a fan of that industrial look, with the different materials. But the 5 was a stunner. Looked like a piece of jewelry, the way the chamfered edges caught light. The 6 is kind of boring. It is nice but doesn't leave a very strong impression. I like the curved glass, but that's something you kind of forget about after a while.

Number45

My daughter has a 5S and I much prefer both the look and feel of the 6 personally. I'd place the 5 after the 4, with both after the 6.

FerranMG

Ok, I think I have an issue with background refresh with my new 6s+.
Reeder doesn't do it.
Downcast doesn't do it as often as configured in the settings.
Spark doesn't seem to always send notifications when a new mail is received, meaning that maybe background refresh for push notifications doesn't work.

I've checked the settings for all these apps, and everything seems to be correct.
The phone was set up as new a month ago, and afterwards I downloaded my iCloud settings, but I didn't restore the previous backup I had.

Anybody else found similar issues?
Any other apps I could use to test if background refresh works correctly?

I don't get your reasoning. His priority order is plausible. He admits that it fails on looks. But the rest of his reasoning is sound. I mean, my own impressions from trying it in the Apple Store:

- The corners are much more soft/rounded than the pics suggest. The bump is obvious, but this is otherwise the same thing as the official Silicone case, meaning it's comfortable to hold, won't scratch your phone, and is all one piece.

- It uses Lightning. For me, this means I can charge wherever and I don't have to take it out of the case. I don't have to setup a specific MicroUSB charge point, like I would have to with the Mophie line. I'm not going to lose it either. It just stays on, like the Silicone case I already have.

- No operation required. You can't turn it on or off. Charge % shows up in iOS alongside the internal battery and any BT 4.0 devices you have.

Look, the price sucks. And anybody can tell they could have found a better appearance. But it is obviously the easiest charge case to use day-to-day for their intended market, and the fact that it has Lightning pass through alone is probably the winning feature for me. (I think the Mophie Juice Pack Reserve looks much better, but still loses on feel and the charge port) Price is the biggest drawback, as mentioned here in the thread.

The downside I wasn't expecting is that the case is fitted for the 6S, not really for the 6/6+. You can use those models with it, but it sits inside the charge case with a mm or two of excess. This means the fingerprint scanner is a subtly harder to use and some typing may be a bit uncomfortable based on the size of your thumbs. :/

Red

Ok, I think I have an issue with background refresh with my new 6s+.
Reeder doesn't do it.
Downcast doesn't do it as often as configured in the settings.
Spark doesn't seem to always send notifications when a new mail is received, meaning that maybe background refresh for push notifications doesn't work.

I've checked the settings for all these apps, and everything seems to be correct.
The phone was set up as new a month ago, and afterwards I downloaded my iCloud settings, but I didn't restore the previous backup I had.

Anybody else found similar issues?
Any other apps I could use to test if background refresh works correctly?
I can't help, sorry, but this does remind me to ask: what is the purpose of background refresh? If I want to check content in an app, I need to open the app... Which forces a refresh. I get notifications for new content in apps without enabling background refresh. What is the advantage in using it?

I can't help, sorry, but this does remind me to ask: what is the purpose of background refresh? If I want to check content in an app, I need to open the app... Which forces a refresh. I get notifications for new content in apps without enabling background refresh. What is the advantage in using it?

The idea is that apps will refresh in the background when you're not using them so that when you do it is up to date without waiting for it to update when you open it again. Supposedly it will do it intelligently based on when you'd most likely use the app or just at certain times of the day. Some apps are good about it like Tweetbot, others are hogs like Facebook.

Red

Is t more useful on older iPhones? My 6s+ refreshes so quickly without it, I don't see the point in ever turning it on.

It doesn't seem to offer a big benefit to me personally, but I have it on all the time and doesn't seem to tax the battery much. It varies from app to app as far as how it handles background app refreshes. Some apps update location data so that it gives more relevant information to the area you are in.

From what I've read it gets better over time, knows how often or how little to refresh based on usage and to do it when the signal is strong/using Wifi or plugged into power.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Is t more useful on older iPhones? My 6s+ refreshes so quickly without it, I don't see the point in ever turning it on.

It's one of those features that when it works it's essentially invisible. I have it enabled on Twitter and News, basically makes me never having to wait for any timelines or articles to be fetched when I open those apps. I know you don't have to wait long without it but as I said, it's one of those invisible convenience options.

FerranMG

Sometimes it's the network connection that is slow, not the phone. In these situations, when I open Reeder or Tweetbot, for example, it's really convenient to have the content already downloaded and ready to consume.
Another example is Downcast, which theoretically will refresh the podcast feeds on the background and download new episodes of I'm connected to WiFi.

Background refresh is useful whenever you are in not ideal network circumstances.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Argh for fucks sake. My phones fucked. I have an iPhone 6 Plus and I can't hear people talking and if it's on loud speaker it's laggy and cuts out. :(

Lexxism

TouchID is getting useless as month pass by. I kept getting "try again" whenever I use it. There are times when I have to put the PIN.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
TouchID is getting useless as month pass by. I kept getting "try again" whenever I use it. There are times when I have to put the PIN.

Never had any issues with the sensors in the 6 and 6S so far unless it's wet outside and as a result fingers are slightly moist.

Touch ID is one of my favorite features I think, lifesaver now that any apps can make use of it.

Pepiope

That's actually been happening to me quite a lot too. I think I need to delete my prints and do it again. Hopefully that helps.

Top Bottom