• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

Mortemis

Banned
Fuck yeah, just heard about the student discount.

Nice to hear that they're redesigning the app. Hope they redesign the lockscreen for music, it's been looking plain since iOS 7. (Or since forever)

Ashhong

The one and only thing I absolutely want is a way to manually upload songs from my PC while also using iCloud library.

Either that or the Google Music way of forcing our version of the song to upload instead of matching with Apple.

PLEASE

Two Words

Why doesn't Apple Music just let you choose your favorite artists? The artists it gives me to select from aren't really my favorite. I feel like I have to choose from the random ones it offers me.

HUELEN10

The one and only thing I absolutely want is a way to manually upload songs from my PC while also using iCloud library.

Either that or the Google Music way of forcing our version of the song to upload instead of matching with Apple.

PLEASE
I found a way, but it is semi-controversial and tedious, but I can confirm it absolutely works.

I will be writing an article about it in the coming days. Now, all I have locally on my phone is the Beatles, that's it.

Chao

So, did apple music improve since its launch? Tried the 3 month trial when it released but found the app confusing and not as intuitive as spotify.

Is it worth it now?

So, did apple music improve since its launch? Tried the 3 month trial when it released but found the app confusing and not as intuitive as spotify.

Is it worth it now?

I mean, I always found it worth it, but I'd say wait for the overhaul (or at least, the details of the overhaul) at WWDC. See if they changed what you found confusing about it

Ashhong

I found a way, but it is semi-controversial and tedious, but I can confirm it absolutely works.

I will be writing an article about it in the coming days. Now, all I have locally on my phone is the Beatles, that's it.

Please link it here and/or PM me. I would love this. I currently use Google Play too upload my music which is a decent alternative.

FYI regarding the student discount and family sharing

If you're a part of a family membership
If you’re already part of an Apple Music Family Membership, you probably don’t need a Student Membership.
If you're in a Family Sharing group, and you change to a Student Membership, your family organizer will be billed for both your Student Membership and the Family Membership to Apple Music.
If you’re the organizer of a Family Sharing group, and you change to a Student Membership, the rest of your group will lose access to Apple Music. The next time they sign in to Apple Music, each family member will see an option to join as an individual member. If you remain the family organizer, you'll continue to be billed for your Family Sharing group's iTunes purchases, including memberships and subscriptions.

I am a family organizer, looks like I can't partake in this discount. Also if you are a member of a family, making your account student will charge the family organizer an extra 5$ lol. So basically do nothing if you are in a family

On the student discount, I signed up for Unidays (btw, I have a .edu account working for a college but I'm not a student though maybe I'll go back soon for a masters). It took a while to get it to work, I decided to try on the PC and was having issues going into iTunes > Account > Manage Subscriptions. Took some time for the student link to pop up for Apple Music, when it did I would click on it to verify if I was a student but then Chrome (my default browser) doesn't open iTunes links in iTunes itself, but in Chrome, which gives me a download iTunes page. Had to open another random iTunes page and tell Chrome to open it in iTunes. Once I did I had an issue with it saying I was already a subscriber to Apple Music.

Not sure why I didn't try the iTunes account on my phone, because that worked way better once the link appeared. Clicked on it once and after logging in to my .edu portal it worked fine.

I too wish there was a manual 'force upload' feature in the future. Would make it easier to not get mismatches.

For You with Connect makes sense, hopefully they can fit a page for sharing playlist with friends.

Wait really? So you just need to activate from a .edu email?

I am a student, but given how the process worked to sign up for Unidays I could see not needing to actually be an active student. Basically you create an account with your normal home email address like Gmail. It then asks you what .edu address you want to send the verification email to so you give them that. You log into the .edu email and click the verification link in the email they sent you.

Ashhong

I am a student, but given how the process worked to sign up for Unidays I could see not needing to actually be an active student. Basically you create an account with your normal home email address like Gmail. It then asks you what .edu address you want to send the verification email to so you give them that. You log into the .edu email and click the verification link in the email they sent you.

I think it somehow checks your student status using your email. Is this the same system as Spotify? I couldn't use my old email because I wasn't an active student. Then again there's no for year max with Spotify

I think it somehow checks your student status using your email. Is this the same system as Spotify? I couldn't use my old email because I wasn't an active student. Then again there's no for year max with Spotify

Different verification company than Spotify. Spotify uses SheerID and I know they verify if your an active student as they ask for info such as your birth date and full name that it checks against a database. From what I remember from signing up for Apple Music with Unidays is that it doesn't ask for the amount of info that SheerID does, but that doesn't mean that they don't have a way to verify college enrollment status.

From what I remember about SheerID though is that they never make you verify you have access to a student email with a verification email, where Unidays does which is what makes me believe all Unidays is doing is verifying that you have an active .edu email instead of actually checking your current enrollment status.

Yeah, from when I did it, Unidays just had me login to my campus portal to verify. I'm a staff person but we all use the same system to login. When iTunes verified via Unidays it went through since Unidays had me as active.

Oynox

Just decided to give the three month trial a go since there is a student discount now. Coming from Spotify, I appreciate the integrated Music application a lot but on the other hand I really miss a webplayer or at least a decent iTunes function. It is so hidden in iTunes in my opinion. And I miss the community playlists of Spotify :(

ecurbj

I never understood why there isn't a web application for Apple Music yet. Beats Music had an web application. It sucks that the service is restricted to iTunes and you need to have iTunes installed to access Apple Music :(

So question about iCloud Music Library. I don't have a Mac right now so all of my organization comes from the iOS music app. I was under the impression that if I delete something from my library that I purchased, it will show up under my Hidden Purchases in the iTunes app, since, you know, I own it. To test this, I deleted Alessia Cara's EP from My Music (the EP isn't for sale anymore, so it's also not on Apple Music). It no longer shows up in my library. It also doesn't show up under my hidden purchases in iTunes, but it DOES show up in my normal purchases list. Is that how it's supposed to work? I feel like it would function differently if I had done all this on my Mac

So question about iCloud Music Library. I don't have a Mac right now so all of my organization comes from the iOS music app. I was under the impression that if I delete something from my library that I purchased, it will show up under my Hidden Purchases in the iTunes app, since, you know, I own it. To test this, I deleted Alessia Cara's EP from My Music (the EP isn't for sale anymore, so it's also not on Apple Music). It no longer shows up in my library. It also doesn't show up under my hidden purchases in iTunes, but it DOES show up in my normal purchases list. Is that how it's supposed to work? I feel like it would function differently if I had done all this on my Mac

I think it is supposed to come up under purchases. To put something in Hidden Purchases requires iTunes and to go under iTunes/Account/Purchases then if you 'x' out the titles they go under Hidden Purchases.

I think it is supposed to come up under purchases. To put something in Hidden Purchases requires iTunes and to go under iTunes/Account/Purchases then if you 'x' out the titles they go under Hidden Purchases.

But I thought that with iCloud Music Library and Apple Music all my purchases show up by default anyway, ever since that iTunes in the Cloud update a couple years ago?

But I thought that with iCloud Music Library and Apple Music all my purchases show up by default anyway, ever since that iTunes in the Cloud update a couple years ago?

It does and that's how it's supposed to work. If you are trying to hide your purchases, you can only do that with iTunes on Mac/PC after signing into your account and hiding purchases. If you delete from your Music app, it can be found again in purchases, it doesn't hide it from there. You can go to your Purchases on iOS by going to iTunes>Purchased>Media type.

If you're on your Mac, deleting from your library does the same thing. You have to go to iTunes Store > Account > Purchases > and then select the items you want to hide from your purchases/Cloud. I had to do this because I got a regular movie and an unrated version later and decided to hide the original one.

Interface tweak are fine but nothing in 12.4 improves the Apple Music experience.

It surely doesn't, I already dislike the media picker thing, I liked having the symbols, that was never an issue with anyone I think. Now it's an extra click to choose something other than music.

Hoping iTunes 13 brings the real change we need.
lol

(also how are you a junior member?)

- The new user-interface ditches the current colorful and translucent look in favor of a simpler design that emphasizes black and white backgrounds and text.

- The new interface will eschew color in the user-interface, album artwork will become “huge” and a larger part of the interface in order to avoid a dull black and white look.

Ugh. Fuck Black and White. I love that the color of my artwork changes the color of the album list/playlist. It's vibrant and one of the things I love about Apple Music.

Of all the complaints I never thought: "Man, it'd be so much better if this shit were colorless and dead..."

btkadams

Has anyone had any success streaming Apple Music to their PS4 via DLNA?

The Spotify PS4 app has worked great, but I'd really like to use my Apple Music playlists instead. I was just looking at jamcast which is supposed to stream live PC audio (whatever you have playing on your computer) over DLNA, but I cannot get it to work with my PS4. The PS4 doesn't show up as a device on my computer for me to be able to stream the live audio, despite Jamcast being browsable on the PS4 in the media player app.

Moozo

Scoop gurman:

http://9to5mac.com/2016/05/04/apple-music-ios-10-revamp/

- The new user-interface ditches the current colorful and translucent look in favor of a simpler design that emphasizes black and white backgrounds and text.

- The new interface will eschew color in the user-interface, album artwork will become “huge” and a larger part of the interface in order to avoid a dull black and white look.

- make better use of Apple’s in-house San Francisco font, including larger, black, bold text for menus and tabs.

- Additional 3D Touch shortcut previews and better promote the ability to share songs. However, the social Connect feature will remain mostly unchanged in this year’s revamp.

- The new service will also discontinue the “New” tab, which is a jumbled list of top charts, genres, featured music launches, and curated playlists. It will be replaced with a section called “Browse” which better organizes the aforementioned content.

- The Beats 1 Radio service is unlikely to see notable interface changes this year.

- wide-ranging support for song lyrics

- The new version of Apple Music will be fully released as part of iOS 10 this fall and will first launch in beta this summer via the developer and public betas of iOS 10

- Apple Music updates will also expand to the Mac via a minor iTunes update (a larger revamp of iTunes on the Mac is expected by next year) 😫

-Apple planned to release iTunes 12.4 for Mac “weeks ago” with minor interface changes, but the rollout is likely delayed until summer.

I haven't properly compared, but how much of this was actually correct?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so the 10 beta is mostly hit and a little miss.

doing a lot of things now takes one or two more taps, BUT, the interface is WAYYYY cleaner. So I'm not really sure how to take that.

they moved the "..." to Force Touch on iPhone 6s.. which is mostly good, but then they have both the icons AND words.. which looks ugly. Also wondering how this works on pre-6s. If it works differently, I see this being a problem for someone moving from a pre-6s phone to a 6s+ phone (as in 6s or later)

itunes match songs continue to be a redheaded stepchild inside of iCloud Music Library.. I am debating on just killing my Match sub this year.. though the thought of bringing my library back into Music is terrifying.. You are limited with your sharing options for iTM songs, including being nuked from shared playlists on other people's versions of that playlist, DESPITE the song existing in Apple Music.. and when you go to add an AM version of the song to the playlist, if it's in iTM it will always add YOUR library song (aka iTM)..

For You is greatly improved. I love having the heavy rotation section, I like it breaking out "Today's playlist suggestions", etc.

"Browse" (the new New) is cleaner, but I like it less. I liked having more information presented all at once. With that being said, I normally dove deeper into each area anyway.... so it may just be a familiarity thing without really changing my habits.

Obviously the separate Downloaded Music area is a god send to most. As is being able to manage it from both within Music and within Settings.

overall the update is more better than not. IMHO it looks a little uglier and a bit less like iOS in general.. but it is cleaner and such.

Oh, the new Now Playing bar at the bottom is 100 times better.

what notable interface changes were there?

In all of music? I mean... everything. Navigation of the entire app is almost completely different now. Most of it (as I said above) takes a tap or two more, but everything is a lot cleaner now.

what notable interface changes were there?

It's much easier to see what's on right now. When you explore the schedule/shows/hosts you will easily see the shows that are available on demand by scrolling down. I think before it was a little more buried.

Overall I like the organizational changes to Apple Music but just not a fan of the big bold fonts and little graphical differences like the colored backgrounds. I'm hoping over the summer they get a lot of feedback and tweak the look of it to be a little less big. Also I want a playlist tab back.

If you guys get on the public beta, definitely send feedback. Last year I sent suggestions in and they implemented dinner of them eventually

Take a look at the changes: http://9to5mac.com/2016/06/13/new-ios-10-music-app-design/

zedge

What? Free dinner with iOS beta?

;)

It looks cleaner for sure. But I would prefer a bit more color. Not too keen on swiping to get the music controls in the action centre either. I think it's called action centre? Bottom swipe.

What? Free dinner with iOS beta?

;)

It looks cleaner for sure. But I would prefer a bit more color. Not too keen on swiping to get the music controls in the action centre either. I think it's called action centre? Bottom swipe.

Control Center I'm not sure I like it either but the way it is now with iOS9 is a little too much going on at once for most people I think.

The slide over is almost like the old days when you double clicked the home button to look at recent apps and swipe to the left for Music controls. (Except it's now to the right)

Control Center I'm not sure I like it either but the way it is now with iOS9 is a little too much going on at once for most people I think.

The slide over is almost like the old days when you double clicked the home button to look at recent apps and swipe to the left for Music controls. (Except it's now to the right)

I completely understand why they would want to change the control center. I can easily see a ton of users swiping up and just being baffled by all the options presented

That said they could organize even the new one a bit better

kinda liking the new layout, but everything looks too big, like it's zoomed in:

screen-shot-2016-06-14-at-7-46-11-pm-png.635993

borghe

Control Center change is an improvement IMHO, and I'm someone who uses it all of the time.

Not an improvement, can't find a way to rate songs (aka stars, not heart/like).

Doh.

mid83

I resubbed to Apple Music for a month to see if it's any better compared to last year.

Is the sound quality better than Spotify or am I just crazy? I have both apps set to high quality (Spotify is on extreme) and I played several songs on both and AM def. sounds better. Maybe it's just me. Anybody else know how AM compares to the other services (minus that high quality Tidal plan)?

I resubbed to Apple Music for a month to see if it's any better compared to last year.

Is the sound quality better than Spotify or am I just crazy? I have both apps set to high quality (Spotify is on extreme) and I played several songs on both and AM def. sounds better. Maybe it's just me. Anybody else know how AM compares to the other services (minus that high quality Tidal plan)?

256 AAC (which Apple Music is) sounds better than 320 MP3 (which Spotify does on Extreme)

Control Center change is an improvement IMHO, and I'm someone who uses it all of the time.

Not an improvement, can't find a way to rate songs (aka stars, not heart/like).

Doh.

I'll be pissed if they got rid of stars... I prefer something more than binary for rating my music....

Still a beta, I'm sure they'll throw back in the stars. It's such a big part of iTunes.

Also they will probably make adjustments to the font sizes/weight. Used it for a bit and I got over the big fonts but they can definitely be smaller. Like the way they've organized it. For a bit I wasn't sure if it was actually an improvement but I think it's because I spent a year getting used to how the iOS9 app works.

The black/white interface seems to be a precursor for a dark mode next year which I'll welcome.

borghe

first 11 months of apple music were a fun ride.

last month on the ios 10 beta has been meh.. 100% down to it being a beta.. like, not even concerned.. just annoying that simple stuff was lost in the UI rework that I used regularly, and having to wait for it to be added back in.

so cautionary tale.. don't beta unless you are ok with beta-ing..

interesting note is that lyrics were working perfectly for a while, and now they are gone. like gone gone.. lyrics doesn't even show up as an option on things that PREVIOUSLY had lyrics.. after reboot. so apparently they can turn that off(?)

edit - oh, as for the service in general, as a Match subscriber it's been near perfect (aside from it's shady handling of match.. but I get that..). I will actually cancel my Match sub this fall.. at which point I am guessing I will have some new pain getting my library into Music then (assuming Match doesn't just transfer it over)

Top Bottom