• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Reports record results, 47.8mil iPhones, 22.9mil iPads, wall street still mad

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcfrank

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-reports-record-results-213000877.html

Apple® today announced financial results for its 13-week fiscal 2013 first quarter ended December 29, 2012. The Company posted record quarterly revenue of $54.5 billion and record quarterly net profit of $13.1 billion, or $13.81 per diluted share. These results compare to revenue of $46.3 billion and net profit of $13.1 billion, or $13.87 per diluted share, in the 14-week year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 38.6 percent compared to 44.7 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 61 percent of the quarter’s revenue.
Average weekly revenue was $4.2 billion in the quarter compared to $3.3 billion in the year-ago quarter.
The Company sold a record 47.8 million iPhones in the quarter, compared to 37 million in the year-ago quarter. Apple also sold a record 22.9 million iPads during the quarter, compared to 15.4 million in the year-ago quarter. The Company sold 4.1 million Macs, compared to 5.2 million in the year-ago quarter. Apple sold 12.7 million iPods in the quarter, compared to 15.4 million in the year-ago quarter.
Apple’s Board of Directors has declared a cash dividend of $2.65 per share of the Company’s common stock. The dividend is payable on February 14, 2013, to shareholders of record as of the close of business on February 11, 2013.
“We’re thrilled with record revenue of over $54 billion and sales of over 75 million iOS devices in a single quarter,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “We’re very confident in our product pipeline as we continue to focus on innovation and making the best products in the world.”
“We’re pleased to have generated over $23 billion in cash flow from operations during the quarter,” said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple’s CFO. “We established new all-time quarterly records for iPhone and iPad sales, significantly broadened our ecosystem, and generated Apple’s highest quarterly revenue ever.”
Apple is providing the following guidance for its fiscal 2013 second quarter:
• revenue between $41 billion and $43 billion
• gross margin between 37.5 percent and 38.5 percent
• operating expenses between $3.8 billion and $3.9 billion
• other income/(expense) of $350 million
• tax rate of 26%
Apple will provide live streaming of its Q1 2013 financial results conference call beginning at 2:00 p.m. PST on January 23, 2013 at www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/earningsq113. This webcast will also be available for replay for approximately two weeks thereafter.
This press release contains forward-looking statements including without limitation those about the Company’s estimated revenue, gross margin, operating expenses, other income/(expense), and tax rate. These statements involve risks and uncertainties, and actual results may differ. Risks and uncertainties include without limitation the effect of competitive and economic factors, and the Company’s reaction to those factors, on consumer and business buying decisions with respect to the Company’s products; continued competitive pressures in the marketplace; the ability of the Company to deliver to the marketplace and stimulate customer demand for new programs, products, and technological innovations on a timely basis; the effect that product introductions and transitions, changes in product pricing or mix, and/or increases in component costs could have on the Company’s gross margin; the inventory risk associated with the Company’s need to order or commit to order product components in advance of customer orders; the continued availability on acceptable terms, or at all, of certain components and services essential to the Company’s business currently obtained by the Company from sole or limited sources; the effect that the Company’s dependency on manufacturing and logistics services provided by third parties may have on the quality, quantity or cost of products manufactured or services rendered; risks associated with the Company’s international operations; the Company’s reliance on third-party intellectual property and digital content; the potential impact of a finding that the Company has infringed on the intellectual property rights of others; the Company’s dependency on the performance of distributors, carriers and other resellers of the Company’s products; the effect that product and service quality problems could have on the Company’s sales and operating profits; the continued service and availability of key executives and employees; war, terrorism, public health issues, natural disasters, and other circumstances that could disrupt supply, delivery, or demand of products; and unfavorable results of other legal proceedings. More information on potential factors that could affect the Company’s financial results is included from time to time in the “Risk Factors” and “Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations” sections of the Company’s public reports filed with the SEC, including the Company’s Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended September 29, 2012, and its Form 10-Q for the quarter ended December 29, 2012 to be filed with the SEC. The Company assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements or information, which speak as of their respective dates.
Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along with OS X, iLife, iWork and professional software. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store. Apple has reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices with iPad.
NOTE TO EDITORS: For additional information visit Apple’s PR website (www.apple.com/pr), or call Apple’s Media Helpline at (408) 974-2042.
© 2013 Apple Inc. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, Mac, Mac OS and Macintosh are trademarks of Apple. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.

artist

Banned
bomba

applelinechart8wups.jpg

applepiechart2qsm4.jpg

Talon

Q1 2013
$54.5 billion in Revenue (up 17.6% over same period last year)
$13.1 billion in Net Profit (up 1% over same period last year)
47.8 million iPhones (up 29% over same period last year) <---goddamn
22.9 million iPads (up 48.7% over same period last year) <---stacks on stacks

Q4 2012
$36 billion in Revenue
$8.2 billion in Net Profit
26.9 million iPhones

Q1 2012 - Same period last year
$46.33 billion in Revenue
$13.06 billion in Net Profit
37.04 million iPhones
15.4 million iPads

More details after the call at 5 PM Eastern.

TUSR

Banned
The Company posted record quarterly revenue of $54.5 billion and record quarterly net profit of $13.1 billion, or $13.81 per diluted share. These results compare to revenue of $46.3 billion and net profit of $13.1 billion, or $13.87 per diluted share, in the 14-week year-ago quarter.

Same net for two years in a row?

Mental numbers.

mcfrank

Q1 2013
47.8 million iPhones (up 29% over same period last year)

Q4 2012
$36 billion in Revenue
$8.2 billion in Net Profit
26.9 million iPhones

Q1 2012 - Same period last year
$46.33 billion in Revenue
$13.06 billion in Net Profit
37.04 million iPhones

More details after the call at 5 PM Eastern.

Also with 1 fewer week in the quarter than a year ago.

I'm curious what "mad" means? Maybe they feel the company is valued fairly or even high at this point. How likely do you guys think it is that Apple is undervalued right now, given that it is contending as most valuable company on the planet?

Darkkn

Q1 2013
47.8 million iPhones (up 29% over same period last year) <---goddamn
22.9 million iPads (up 48.7% over same period last year) <---stacks on stacks

How come sales are up significantly but profit is up only 1%?

Talon

I'm curious what "mad" means? Maybe they feel the company is valued fairly or even high at this point. How likely do you guys think it is that Apple is undervalued right now, given that it is contending as most valuable company on the planet?
Wall Street is historically bullish on tech stocks.

Anno

Oh noes, only +18ish% y/y with one fewer quarter and more than 25% of its market cap in cash? Whatever will I do? Hopefully it tanks tomorrow so I can add.

The P/E of Apple seems absolutely bonkers compared to, say, Amazon.

mcfrank

Mad means the stock was dropping when I posted this and all of the articles are "Apple Misses" Not apple misses their own guidance mind you, but apple misses what Wall Street estimated they would sell (shouldnt it be Wall Street misses since is their job to predict?)

Guevara

Wall Street’s consensus numbers were $54.58 billion (Apple just beat that), 50 million iPhones (Apple actually sold 47.8 million), 23 million iPads (Apple just about made it, selling 22.9 million), 12 million iPods (under Street estimates), and 5 million Macs (well under Street estimates).​

thought this was a good summary.

LCfiner

Honestly surprised by the massive drop in Mac sales. down to 4.1 from 5.2 million. that'a s a big drop. not surprised by the continued ipod sales drop.

Not too surprised by the drop in margins based on their comments on the ipad mini margins being lower than the larger ipad. But it's a fairly large drop so I guess they're getting lower margins on their iphone sales, too.

I wonder if they'll hint at the ipad mix during the conference call.

edit: OK, that apple table above shows ipad units up almost 50% but revenue only up 22%. but iphone units and revenue increases are almost identical. So perhaps the ipad mini is mostly responsible for the margin drop (still crazy high for most CE companies)

WHY IS MY AFTERMARKET FIGURE DOWN -5%

They were overvalued originally. There are a bunch of idiots expecting them to double annually.

Ignore the on the face numbers. Only think anyone involved in the stock should worry about is what they value the company at in relation to their own stocks.

Honestly surprised by the massive drop in Mac sales. down to 4.1 from 5.2 million. that'a s a big drop. not surprised by the continued ipod sales drop.

They basically killed the iPod with terrible pricing and turned what should have been a growth market with their computer side into a contraction by releasing more expensive products that added no functionality.

Anno

Mac shortage hurt, as did slightly compressed margins due to a ton of roll-outs last quarter. 30% of the market value is cash/investments. Seems insane that the stock should be worth even this amount, but I'll take it!

mcfrank

Not too surprised by the drop in margins based on their comments on the ipad mini margins being lower than the larger ipad. But it's a fairly large drop so I guess they're getting lower margins on their iphone sales, too.

The iMac was not available for a large chunk of the quarter + iPads cannibalizing mac sales is my guess.

They were overvalued originally. There are a bunch of idiots expecting them to double annually.

Ignore the on the face numbers. Only think anyone involved in the stock should worry about is what they value the company at in relation to their own stocks.

After more than a -25% drop since Sept and people still feel it's overvalued?

zou

lol, wall street is "still" mad because guidance came in lower than expected and they declined to give earnings guidance (for the first time).

But keep on playing that victim card.

Tobor

edit: OK, that apple table above shows ipad units up almost 50% but revenue only up 22%. but iphone units and revenue increases are almost identical. So perhaps the ipad mini is mostly responsible for the margin drop (still crazy high for most CE companies)

Post PC world is catching Apple at last. Luckily, they are covered.

After more than a 25% drop since Sept and people still feel it's overvalued?

It was overvalued when it got to that level. Am not sure its real value personally.
But generally ignore everyone else, try and concentrate on the numbers themselves if your that interested.

Stock could be back up next week, it could be down further. Its unimportant, its only a tool to identify what the market values Apple at, not their real value.

Too often I think people seem to think success = stock increase; but its not, growth = stock increase. Net Profit is up just 1%; obviously a few people were expecting that revenue, just maybe not those costs.

Their value has not increased.

Weenerz

Banned
Wow. People must be buying ipads for their pets by this point.

Upgrade and push to family members. Gave my mom my first iPad when the iPad 2 came out, when the first New iPad came out, I gave her my iPad 2 and she gave my stepfather the original. Waiting for the "5" and then she will get the New iPad. I'm sure lots of people do it.

Same with phones.

Too often I think people seem to think success = stock increase; but its not, growth = stock increase. Net Profit is up just 1%; obviously a few people were expecting that revenue, just maybe not those costs.

Their value has not increased.

This is true for my portfolio lol.

Maybe the new iMac didn't hit the right notes with people? Maybe consumers aren't ready to lose the optical drive yet from their home computer, and there is no retina resolution either (I know the reasons before you jump) - iPad has a higher resolution screen than a 21.5" iMac! Desktop computer sales are down anyway, and the iMac is really fucking expensive too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom