• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Rumored to Launch Notch-Less iPhone in 2020

CyberPanda

Banned
Apple may be gearing up to slim down and then completely remove the notch from iPhones over the next two years.

First, reputable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo is out with a new research note today via Chinese website MyDrivers in which he claims that at least one new iPhone in 2020 will be equipped with a smaller front camera lens for an improved screen-to-bezel ratio, suggesting the notch will be slimmer.

Second, the China Times cites an analyst at investment firm Credit Suisse in Asia who believes Apple plans to release one new iPhone model without a notch or Face ID in 2020. The analyst claims the iPhone will instead feature an under-screen front camera and full-screen acoustic fingerprint authentication, which sounds like a version of Touch ID that would work anywhere on the iPhone's display.

The analyst believes all three new iPhones will be notch-less in 2021, completing the transition to under-screen front cameras and full-screen fingerprint authentication. The report claims Apple is likely to develop its own under-screen fingerprinting technology rather than rely on a third-party provider.

Together, these rumors paint the following timeline:
  • 2019: Three new iPhones with Face ID and no changes to notch
  • 2020: Two new iPhones with Face ID and slimmer notches, one new notch-less iPhone with full-screen fingerprint authentication
  • 2021: Three new notch-less iPhones with full-screen fingerprint authentication
Just last week, a report claimed that Apple plans to launch a new iPhone with under-screen fingerprint technology, but the report suggested the device will be limited to the budget-conscious Chinese market, with the under-screen fingerprint technology thought to cost less than Face ID sensors.

Likewise, following meetings with suppliers in Apple's Asian supply chain in May, Barclays analysts claimed that 2020 iPhone models will have acoustic fingerprint technology that could allow for full-screen Touch ID.

The notch has been a controversial design decision since it debuted on the iPhone X in 2017, and it has always felt like a stopgap on the way to an iPhone with a truly edge-to-edge display, so these rumors certainly have some plausibility. However, these reports should still be viewed with some skepticism until they are corroborated by other sources. It is also early, so these plans could change.

The possibility of a notch-less iPhone does look increasingly promising. In January, for example, Apple supplier AMS launched new under-screen ambient light and proximity sensors, while Chinese smartphone makers Oppo and Xiaomi have recently showcased smartphones with under-screen front cameras.

Do you want a sneak peek at the future? Here you go...introducing you to Under-Display Camera technology!#Xiaomi #InnovationForEveryone pic.twitter.com/d2HL6FHkh1
— Xiaomi #SummerBonanza2019 (@Xiaomi) June 3, 2019

Samsung has so far taken a different approach to avoid the notch, with its Galaxy S10 and Galaxy S10+ smartphones featuring circular and pill-shaped front camera cutouts respectively in the top-right corner of the display.

Apple's exact approach if any remains to be seen, but it is certainly starting to sound like the notch might not be around for too much longer.

Mista

Banned
The notch is the edges on top corners? Even though I adapted to them I still want the to go away. Having this tiny space up there covering the screen is stupid

Much of the talk of Iphone 2019 rumors have been around pessimism - Forgettable upgrades, nothing new, no removed notch, no new design, no 5g, not even trying, higher prices.

iOS13 / iPadOS looks fantastic. Really really sick features that are game changers, so its frustrating. My Iphone 6 is just... ugh. I don't know if I can do another year of this.

You get a bit more screen space and then what? I bet some other company is going to beat them to the punch anyway.
Having your phone as a mini projector would be awesome. I saw a guy jogging while he was projecting a movie onto the ground in front of him. Something like that on a phone would be cool, it could act as a screen for facetime or whatnot.

TTOOLL

The screen is gorgeous, but that notch just kills it for me. I wanna buy an iPhone but not the X line because of it. I might get the cheaper 8plus and wait 3 years for a notchless iPhone.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
They're just so many years behind Samsung at this point.

No, not really. It's just a question of priorities.

Yeah, Samsung now has hole-punch displays, but that's because it also has to stick to fingerprint readers (and the current under-the-glass tech is still a bit wonky). Apple has a whole depth sensor array, and it does make a difference when you're unlocking your phone, making a purchase or taking a selfie.

I do think Samsung has an edge in screen resolution and certain aspects of camera performance, but then Apple also doesn't need a gigantic battery even though it has a faster processor. It's just not that clear cut.

Top Bottom