• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV+ "Prehistoric Planet" looks absolutely amazing

Vick

TIL t rex can swim
For what it's worth:

Look at this CGI though:

6l9Udzs.gif

jUytbpG.gif

Methos#1975

Im watching the Future is Wild on DVD now and man, really wish we could get a new 4k revision or similar series of this. I love speculative biology stuff.

Kimahri

Banned
Hopefully the Jurassic producers will learn a thing or two. They're so hellbent on making monster movies that they can't allow any scientific accuracy to pass without fucking it up with some atrocious monster nonsense.

Just look at that pyroraptor. Looks great when all you see are the feathers, and then you see the head...

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Looks amazing. Apple TV+ are really bringing out some decent content. Looks like I'm going to have to sign up.

ManaByte

Gold Member
How much is the service? I need that show.
$5.

But they also have a bundle for $20 that gets you Apple TV+, Apple Arcade, Apple Music, and 200GB iCloud space. That’s what I use.

Looks amazing. Apple TV+ are really bringing out some decent content. Looks like I'm going to have to sign up.

Apple TV+ is what HBO used to be. Some of the best streaming shows anywhere on it and they just won Best Picture.

Last edited:

Romulus

It looks great for sure, but I still can't get over the disparity between the original Jurassic Park CGI and modern dino CGI. I was literally a young kid when the original came out and now I'm early 40s. Its an improvement, but its sad to me its even comparable to a 30 year old film.

Vick

It looks great for sure, but I still can't get over the disparity between the original Jurassic Park CGI and modern dino CGI. I was literally a young kid when the original came out and now I'm early 40s. Its an improvement, but its sad to me its even comparable to a 30 year old film.
I think we should stop looking at Jurassic Park for reference. It's clear at this point the movie was a lightning in a bottle made by passionate geniuses at their peak, not indicative of general movies visual effects at all.

And i know the general consensus is that it looks good because of animatronics, that darkness and rain hid flaws, and daytime shots are now dated etc. but no, i saw the movie in 35mm and outside of maybe the first Brachiosaur scene, CG still looks real.

83Cwzqh.png

nkS3lo9.png

Especially thanks to the unparalled realism in animations.

But still, this documentary at the moment looks much more believable than Jurassic World movies to me.

sOhvFc9.gif

2MXc8rU.gif

Kimahri

Banned
I think we should stop looking at Jurassic Park for reference. It's clear at this point the movie was a lightning in a bottle made by passionate geniuses at their peak, not indicative of general movies visual effects at all.

And i know the general consensus is that it looks good because of animatronics, that darkness and rain hid flaws, and daytime shots are now dated etc. but no, i saw the movie in 35mm and outside of maybe the first Brachiosaur scene, CG still looks real.

83Cwzqh.png

nkS3lo9.png

Especially thanks to the unparalled realism in animations.

But still, this documentary at the moment looks much more believable than Jurassic World movies to me.

sOhvFc9.gif

2MXc8rU.gif

This is largely due to animation and color grading. JW is color graded with thr ugly blu filter that poisons almost every movie these days, additionally it's animated like a cartoon. Everything is exaggerated, and this is comoletely contrary ti how they did JP.

Also, I'm surr the effects team on these movies are on a very tight schedule which makes perfection a pipedream. Maybe thr team behind this documentary had more time? And producers wanting animals abd realism instead of movie monsters.

Vick

This is largely due to animation and color grading. JW is color graded with thr ugly blu filter that poisons almost every movie these days, additionally it's animated like a cartoon. Everything is exaggerated, and this is comoletely contrary ti how they did JP.
I personally disagree on color grading, but on animations i'm more than 100% with you.

If Walking with Dinosaurs is still enjoyable today despite the dated CG is largely due to animations being on a league of their own compared to any documentary came later (and imo also Jurassic World movies).

Not sure i'd call Prehistoric Planet's animations perfect from what i can see, as there's still something slightly cartoony about it, but it's obviously a step in the right direction.

Also, I'm surr the effects team on these movies are on a very tight schedule which makes perfection a pipedream. Maybe thr team behind this documentary had more time? And producers wanting animals abd realism instead of movie monsters.
Plausible, studios nowdays demand thousands of shots in a short time. But personally, i think what's really lacking in most companies today is real and utter talent in creating believable images. Being able to use ZBrush, Nuke, OpenEXR and so on doesn't make you an artist, if you get what i mean.

Take Kon-Tiki, absolutely incredible VFX, made by 19 guys ten years ago:

That was talent. But talent is not common.

The funny thing? Years later, that very same company, now hugely increased in number, worked on that awful Blue shot in Fallen Kingdom. I find this bit interesting:

"We have a talented team of roughly 100 people in our Stockholm office, 40% of which have joined us from abroad."

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
I personally disagree on color grading, but on animations i'm more than 100% with you.

If Walking with Dinosaurs is still enjoyable today despite the dated CG is largely due to animations being on a league of their own compared to any documentary came later (and imo also Jurassic World movies).

Not sure i'd call Prehistoric Planet's animations perfect from what i can see, as there's still something slightly cartoony about it, but it's obviously a step in the right direction.

Plausible, studios nowdays demand thousands of shots in a short time. But personally, i think what's really lacking in most companies today is real and utter talent in creating believable images. Being able to use ZBrush, Nuke, OpenEXR and so on doesn't make you an artist, if you get what i mean.

Take Kon-Tiki, absolutely incredible VFX, made by 19 guys ten years ago:

That was talent. But talent is not common.

The funny thing? Years later, that very same company, now hugely increased in number, worked on that awful Blue shot in Fallen Kingdom. I find this bit interesting:

"We have a talented team of roughly 100 people in our Stockholm office, 40% of which have joined us from abroad."

Well, there's art direction and sensible deadlines for you. Compare the amount of creature fx shots in kon-tiki with JW and it's pretty crazy.

I think talent and artistry is a good point though. I tend to think of the people who did Jurassic Park as artists at the pinnacle of their craft, while most people in the vfx industry right now are craftsmen. They have a job to do by a set time, and they have to work fast. Not much time for true artistry all the time, although it happens.

I enjoy watching vfx artists react on YouTube, it gives a lot of insights, and when they have people from weta/ilm joining them, it kinda reveals that there is a ton of talent there. But then someone calls the shots, and if they want raptors reverted to lizards and weirdly wide heads for some reason, they'll get that.

Color grading is no joke though. When Fallen Kingdom came out one of the guys from Jurassic Outpost kept color grading stills from the trailers to have warmer tone more in line with JP, and interestingly enough the CG looked miles better.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
count me the fuck in! looks awesome. i really should join Apple TV+ there seems to be a lot of stuff recently that catches my attention. once my netflix sub ends i'll give it a shot.

Kadve

Modern remake of Walking with Dinosaurs? Getting that feeling at least

For what it's worth:

Considering Spinosaurus went from a T-rex style apex predator to a weirdly shaped crocodile. I don't see why not.
spinosaurus-3d-illustration-picture-id1133234114
1024px-Spinosaurus_aegyptiacus_by_a.r.m.jpg

Kimahri

Banned
I've watched the first episode, and in one word? Wobderful? The glory of this is howprofoundly unspectscular it is. Sure, there's some drama and hunting, but mostly it's just dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals going about their lives.

Can't wait for the next episode

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I've watched the first episode, and in one word? Wobderful? The glory of this is howprofoundly unspectscular it is. Sure, there's some drama and hunting, but mostly it's just dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals going about their lives.

Can't wait for the next episode

Are they hunting other computer dinosaurs?

Top Bottom