• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Applebee's - Endless Fries

Status
Not open for further replies.

kewlmyc

I like it, but there's better places to eat that are cheaper though. Not the worse chain sit down restaurant, but not the best either.

mmmmm... unseasoned fries cooked in old vegetable oil with no technique.

Applebees is right next to Olive Garden with terrible food, but at least Olive Garden clean their restaraunts.

zeshakag

Where I live Applebee's removed bone-in wings from their happy hour deals. After that I don't care about Applebee's. What used to be the most economical place for serviceable buffalo wings is now nothing to me.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I'm just spoiled since I live in NYC, but I'd definitely say something like, "Why don't we go somewhere else?" Like I said, there's literally no reason for me ever to go to an Applebee's when I have so much choice and quality around me.

I also live in NYC and have never been to an Applebee's here, but I certainly have outside of the city for any possible number of reasons, either due to lack of alternative options, invitation by friend, or craving for a drink or food. It's not that inconceivable. And it's certainly not hard to understand why someone else may go.

Seanspeed

Banned
Maybe I'm just spoiled since I live in NYC, but I'd definitely say something like, "Why don't we go somewhere else?" Like I said, there's literally no reason for me ever to go to an Applebee's when I have so much choice and quality around me.
I get it man. Max value>friends.

marrec

Banned
quesadilla%20burger.jpg

Applebee's is garbage but this sandwich is so fucking good.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I remember going to Applebee's and not seeing anything on the menu that was interesting. Someone recommended a salad that they liked, and I ordered that. I know that doesn't sound like much, but I never ever order salad as a main dish. The implications that I would do so say a lot about the food at Applebee's.

When it came out though, I didn't like it. The person who had made the recommendation realized that they had asked for some things to be left off when they ordered it and made a substitution for one item. Even the known entity that I'd been pointed to wasn't what was actually good there.

Flo_Evans

So if your friends called you up and said they were going to Applebee's and invited you along, you'd just refuse? Because you wouldn't get your max value for the food?

I just don't understanding taking shit so seriously all the time. Eating out is never max value in the first place. If that's your #1 concern, then just stay in and cook for yourself every single meal for the rest of your life.

I mean shit, I'm a seriously frugal person. I'm big on trying to get good value on things. But there's times to relax that sort of thinking.

I would assume the person was joking and respond with laughter. If it turns out they are serious no, I would not go.

Who's the douche bag who likes to continually drop that he lives in NYC so his opinion on food is supposed to be unimpeachable? Get over yourself, unless you happen to run a 3 star Michelin restaurant in the City living there is no accomplishment.

Aequitas

I've been to Applebee's in the last month or so, and all I can say is the best part about dining there is their new sweet potato fries and dips appetizer.
-Everything else is bland.
-Go to a Bj's instead.

Weevilone

Not as bad as TGIF and it's ok for some cheap drinks and a large menu with a ton of different types of food to choose from. Just don't go expecting high class food and you'll be fine. Can be a perfectly good time still.

As always, everybody on GAF eats only the highest quality foods at 5 star restaurants and anything less is truly garbage and you'd be better off starving to death than eating at a casual/sports restaurant or, god forbid, a fast food restaurant....

Don't forget, elite GAF members only make healthy choices for every meal as well.

LOL, isn't their specialty just hamburger sandwiches? What a thing to be proud of.

Say what you will, but for the price their burgers are good, their sides rarely disappoint, and they make a mean Guiness Float.

Also their promo burgers are hit and miss, but the Hercules one last year was the GOAT:

full_colossus_mobile_53889e2514311.jpg

I think it just gives the chefs an excuse to experiment every so often. One of my fave chains to go to with the family or while I'm on business and don't want to run up the tab.

Everdred

I also hate Applebees. Much prefer Ruby Tuesdays, Fridays or Chilis. I find Applebee's food to be really bland.

Who's the douche bag who likes to continually drop that he lives in NYC so his opinion on food is supposed to be unimpeachable? Get over yourself, unless you happen to run a 3 star Michelin restaurant in the City living there is no accomplishment.
That's real cool calling me a douchebag, tough guy. I mentioned where I live because it's very relevant to the conversation.

Nander

Endless wings - oh yeah! Endless mozzarella sticks - don't mind if I do. Endless breadsticks - I'll take it. But endless fries? I'll pass.

ryseing

So if your friends called you up and said they were going to Applebee's and invited you along, you'd just refuse? Because you wouldn't get your max value for the food?

I just don't understanding taking shit so seriously all the time. Eating out is never max value in the first place. If that's your #1 concern, then just stay in and cook for yourself every single meal for the rest of your life.

I mean shit, I'm a seriously frugal person. I'm big on trying to get good value on things. But there's times to relax that sort of thinking.

I think the argument is you might as well go to a local place with assuredly better food for the same price. Unless you live in a completely rural area there's going to be better equivalents for generic American chain food that have TVs and drink specials.

Daria

when did they get endless fries??? how long is this lasting?? I remember when Bennigans had them and I was very upset when they got rid of them.

Davey Cakes

As always, everybody on GAF eats only the highest quality foods at 5 star restaurants and anything less is truly garbage and you'd be better off starving to death than eating at a casual/sports restaurant or, god forbid, a fast food restaurant....
Nah, I'm not too picky about restaurants. I genuinely find peoples' fascination with fast food to be silly, though. Fries in particular!

Places like Applebee's, TGIF, and The 99 just don't provide great dining experiences. They fill a void of "just some place to go" but that's it.

I will say I have a soft spot for Chili's and I LOVE Texas Roadhouse. But, that's pretty much because, if we're talking casual dining, my ratio of good/bad experiences at those places is favorable in comparison to the rest.

when did they get endless fries??? how long is this lasting?? I remember when Bennigans had them and I was very upset when they got rid of them.
Honest question: why would you want more than the normal portion of fries?

We're talking about a filler food here.

At least when Applebee's had endless riblets back in the day, it was something more substantial.

Update -

The endless fries was only with their handhelds, none of which sounded great. Ended up getting their classic burger with fries. It was alright. About $10. Won't go back but wasn't the end of the world.

Ambient80

Every Applebee's near me has absolutely horrid service. Doesn't matter which one, I'm waiting at least an hour for food and the waitress/waiter is always an ass. It's one of the few places I ever considered leaving zero tip. I don't go there any more, though.

O'Charleys is my jam, though, when it comes to chain restaurants. Chicken tenders with their honey mustard sauce is god-tier snacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom