• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple's Sept. 1st Event |OT| - Now with live streaming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabottemp

Banned
mine's in londonderry, NH and I'm in portsmouth. fedex is giving me an estimated delivery of the 5th. I have super high hopes it'll be here on friday.

So I just bought season 1 of castle
hope it's good, bought it cuz of fillion
and season 1 of chuck
never seen it, hope that's good too
. I have a long list of stuff I want to buy but sadly I have a ton of bills due this week.

Here's hoping apple adds more and more movies in hd.

cabot said:
im so confused about engadgets review with networked drives. basically all i want is to have an external hdd hooked up to my mac mini via firewire and load it with video content.

will that setup be compatible with the new apple tv???

I'm doing the same thing. Just make sure it's all iTunes compatible and in iTunes and you should be fine.

Soybean

I didn't care about the Apple TV at all, but I totally neglected to consider the effect of hackage. There could be some excellent software coming. That plus Airplay would sell me on it.

Blackhead

Redarse
Soybean said:
I didn't care about the Apple TV at all, but I totally neglected to consider the effect of hackage. There could be some excellent software coming. That plus Airplay would sell me on it.
Yeah but I don't want to buy a product on potential. I'll have to wait and see how easy the jailbreak process will be and if a jailbroken AppleTV could easily be upgraded to enable AirPlay.

Picked up an Apple TV this morning. Got there 20 minutes after they opened and someone brought out about a dozen of them. Seems like they got a big shipment in yesterday and are slowly putting out some each day. Pretty crappy, but expected.

So if you plan on getting one at an Apple Store, try to call or get there when the store opens.

numble

The PlayOn app was just released. It let's you play normal Hulu, Amazon VOD, CBS.com, etc. by transcoding it or something and sending it to your iOS device.

Downsides:
The app that sits on your desktop is only for Windows at the moment.
It looks like they're not using the default video player on iOS, so that might mean AirPlay won't work with it when that's out.

dyls

I have to go to the Apple Store today anyway. I kind of hope they don't have it in, because I'm pretty sure I'll end up buying one if it's there.

Shouldn't there be an official Apple TV thread or something, or at least a title change for this thread? It's no longer all that related to the Apple event that happened three weeks ago.

Blackhead

Redarse
Tobor said:
It's worth $99 to me as a Netflix/iTunes box and wireless adapter for iPad/iPhone video.

Anything else is gravy.
Except it's not usable as a wireless adapter for the iPhone/iPad video now and you'll have to wait until November to find out how well it works... I would seriously consider it as a $99 accessory for my iOS devices (I've spent more on accessories before) but all the AppleTV is useful for now is Netflix/iTunes. There are too many ifs and buts, at the moment, to take the AppleTV seriously

Tobor

Charred Greyface said:
Except it's not usable as a wireless adapter for the iPhone/iPad video now and you'll have to wait until November to find out how well it works... I would seriously consider it as a $99 accessory for my iOS devices (I've spent more on accessories before) but all the AppleTV is useful for now is Netflix/iTunes. There are too many ifs and buts, at the moment, to take the AppleTV seriously
Oh, come on, you spent $70 for a stylus. ;)

Flek

Banned
DoctorWho said:
It simply doesn't detect all your videos/music.

It will default to an on board HDD if you try and copy something to it.

yeha but it still shows it but the moment you want to play it itunes doesnt see it and gives you a error. Or did apple change this with some recent itunes update so that the files wont show up as long as the drive isnt connected ?

Walked in and picked up an Apple TV today, they seemed to have plenty although apparently were sold out about an hour later.

It's teeny-tiny! Hard to get too excited about it until more content providers signed up but I think at least it will become my Netflix/YouTube TV box of choice. Will set it up later tonight.

Blackhead

Redarse
Gary Whitta said:
Walked in and picked up an Apple TV today, they seemed to have plenty although apparently were sold out about an hour later.

It's teeny-tiny! Hard to get too excited about it until more content providers signed up but I think at least it will become my Netflix/YouTube TV box of choice. Will set it up later tonight.
You're back! :D

Er, so... does the AppleTV YouTube channel have access to everything on that site or is it just the same YouTube that the other iOS devices have? Is it possible to send a youtube link from a macbook to a WiFi connected AppleTV? Will you have a Tested episode for AppleTV?

Charred Greyface said:
You're back! :D

Er, so... does the AppleTV YouTube channel have access to everything on that site or is it just the same YouTube that the other iOS devices have? Is it possible to send a youtube link from a macbook to a WiFi connected AppleTV? Will you have a Tested episode for AppleTV?
Not sure how complete YouTube is but I suspect it's the iOS version. I'll probably be on Tested next week talking about it once I've had more time to play with it. So far: ridiculously easy to set up and use and probably the best Netflix TV box there is, but Apple definitely needs more studio/content partners than they have right now if this is really going to take off.

SuperPac

Gary Whitta said:
probably the best Netflix TV box there is, but Apple definitely needs more studio/content partners than they have right now if this is really going to take off.

I love the netflix interface on the apple tv, but it's missing one thing I consider pretty important - doesn't show you what episodes in a TV season you've watched. Another gripe I have is it doesn't mark things in your iTunes library as watched. So I watched the finale of Louie last night which I had a season pass to in iTunes on my Mac and it's still marked as new.

I'm really impressed with the speed and responsiveness of the interface compared to the original aTV. also really happy it finally has an auto-sleep option. Though it seems I couldn't wake it from sleep just using the iPad remote app - it wouldn't connect.

Blackhead

Redarse
^^^
it's coming out in January
on Sprint

Tobor said:
Oh, come on, you spent $70 for a stylus. ;)
Well I'd didn't want to admit that my iPad accessory fund is coming from trading my iPhone 4 for an iPod touch after all my griping in this thread :lol . Which reminds me: you were right; very few of the camera apps work :/. But the iPod touch is so thin, with that nice curved back, and I'm shallow enough to be happy with that. Heh
Gary Whitta said:
Not sure how complete YouTube is but I suspect it's the iOS version. I'll probably be on Tested next week talking about it once I've had more time to play with it. So far: ridiculously easy to set up and use and probably the best Netflix TV box there is, but Apple definitely needs more studio/content partners than they have right now if this is really going to take off.
Damn, my laptop starts the fans every time a YouTube video is playing and I'd love to watch music videos (vevo etc), trailers and those talks @ google on a bigger screen. Maybe when Airplay is available you could send the link to the AppleTV... I dot get why AppleTV doesn't stream all video formats (like AirVideo). The iPod is very popular because it plays mp3s so why can't Apple see the same reasoning for avis/mkvs/fulldvdrips :/

I'll probably be happier with a Boxee box if it delivers on the promised features

kaskade

I keep telling my dad to get the apple TV right now for Netflix. He doesn't want to spend the money on it though. Right now he doesn't use the streaming at all. I keep telling him he's missing out.

Jasoco

Banned
I wish AirPlay worked from computer to computer like AirFoil does. I'd want to play my music from iTunes on my MacBook to iTunes on my media server Mac since it's the only way (Besides connecting my iPod to my Mac then playing the music in iTunes from the iPod) to preserve playcounts. And Playcounts are the MOST IMPORTANT thing in my Music library. Seriously. If I can't update the playcount, I won't use it. It wouldn't be a problem if iTunes updated playcounts when playing from Home Server.

I could spend $25 and get AirFoil, but I'd rather have it for free.

Apple should build AirPlay into all their media-capable software and have it open so other media apps could use it. QuickTime streaming a video to another QuickTime, iTunes to iTunes, iTunes to Plex/Nine or Boxee.. (If you so choose to use that.)

cabottemp

Banned
So what are people using to import their dvd library so they can use it with appletv?

I'm using ripit and handbrake. Anyone got any advice on good settings for Handbrake?

rezuth

cabot said:
So what are people using to import their dvd library so they can use it with appletv?

I'm using ripit and handbrake. Anyone got any advice on good settings for Handbrake?
I'm using MacTheRipper

cabottemp

Banned
rezuth said:
I'm using MacTheRipper

are you satisfied with the video quality?

I haven't been too happy, I've been fiddlefucking with the settings and trying different things for a couple hours in handbrake.

Tedesco!

cabot said:
are you satisfied with the video quality?

I haven't been too happy, I've been fiddlefucking with the settings and trying different things for a couple hours in handbrake.

Lately Handbrake has been performing poorly. I've removed and reinstalled the program, but it seems I have having more issues with the films I rip. I'm ready to look for another alternative.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Wow, ok i know 10 day bump and that but i just splurged and bought myself the new iPod Nano 16gb to tide me over till my phone contract runs out and i can get an iPhone. Fuck me this is the most beautiful little device ever, everything works so perfectly,i haven't checked this thread but has anyone else bought this?

Also i'll point out that lately i've succumbed to the Apple shinyness (first apple product i've ever bought, i wanted an Android, but i'm getting an iPhone. I thought this thing looked stupid on the ad, then i used it and wow. How the fuck do they do it? Amazing what a shiny touchscreen can do to people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom