• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Applying for jobs is exhausting and soul-crushing

Bluemongoose

Neo Member
so i really want to work for delta, but they're not hiring for my position right now

i just graduated from college, and it could be six months before that position is posted...

do i keep working in retail until then? or should i look for college graduate work? what kind of job would i even look for, given that my degree was a big old nothingburger? aagh

Find out the head of human resources and write them an email and cover letter. Can't hurt. I'm in the same boat as you with my nothingburger. Be proactive. Just because they aren't hiring doesn't mean you can't contact them. Try other airlines as well.

Bluemongoose

Neo Member
So I just sent an email saying I was interested in a job and I was going to attach my resume for their consideration. I forgot to attach my resume. I then sent an identical email, but with the resume attached. Please tell me what I did was the right thing and that this won't affect whether or not I get a call back. Please?!!?

Hey, if you sent it like right after I would see that as less serious (IMO) but to me it would look worse depending on how much time had elapsed between the two. Happens to the best of us, though. No point in worrying about it and hope for the best.

Nevasleep

I'm currently in my notice period, but don't really want to work it, anybody have experience of negotiating down their notice period?

Rommel

Just a heads up for anyone who is a Software Dev or Engineer, my company is currently hiring a number of positions. A majority of the positions are Sr level. We have offices in San Francisco, Lehi UT and Dublin, Ireland.

This is an established tech company (30+ years) that is currently seeing rapid growth. Shoot me a pm and I'll link you to the job board and if your experience matches the job description I'd be willing to refer you.

I just have to work, period. I won't listen to any stupid advice my parents give me, and I just have do what I need to do. You guys have to trust your gut, and don't be afraid to move or take certain jobs that "are below you". Millennials are hurt because of this thinking.

I responded to a whole bunch of Craigslist ads, and I already have an interview scheduled for tomorrow. A lot of these "legit" companies and startups just aren't responding right now, so I take what I can get in the meantime. I can do something at least!

The ad itself isn't all that specific, but the pay seems pretty decent. I just need some structure to make the search for my career job a bit more bearable.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I had an interview, knocked it out the park, afterwards, my prospective boss gave me a tour around the location and had me meeting people that I would presumably work with. However, I was just doing some due diligence and I noted that the job was reposted on their website. The requirements are the same as before. People have been telling me to chill out but I really want this job and my latent anxiety is flaring up a bit. I still apply everywhere because I won't stop till I get a new job but this one fits like a glove. Anyways, anyone with any advice on this or similar situations, please comment because it's greatly appreciated. Thanks.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I had an interview, knocked it out the park, afterwards, my prospective boss gave me a tour around the location and had me meeting people that I would presumably work with. However, I was just doing some due diligence and I noted that the job was reposted on their website. The requirements are the same as before. People have been telling me to chill out but I really want this job and my latent anxiety is flaring up a bit. I still apply everywhere because I won't stop till I get a new job but this one fits like a glove. Anyways, anyone with any advice on this or similar situations, please comment because it's greatly appreciated. Thanks.

First of all, keep looking. You never know what is going to happen until you sign on the dotted line. As far as the reposting, it may have been an internal classification change that you can't see. They may have catered it more towards your salary demands and/or skills. I went through that before. I had the same questions and turns out they moved the job to a another salary level and had to repost it.

Just got a rejection letter from a job that I thought I had a good chance at. Feels bad brehs.

Same boat for me also. Don't get hung up on it, I've spent the past week being down on my self and it just ruins any motivation or productive work I could be doing. Keep at it you'll get somewhere eventually :)

gamz

Just got a rejection letter from a job that I thought I had a good chance at. Feels bad brehs.

I had a great interview last Monday and I thought for sure I was a shoe-in, but been told they are still interviewing through this week and I'll know on Friday. Which has me concerned because why are they still interviewing if (I was told) I was the best they had so far.

Good thing I have a 2nd interview on Thursday on a job I REALLY want!

*crosses fingers*

It happens man. A few weeks ago I had to take a test for the FBI. I was super confident that I passed it. Right when I got home I already had an email saying I didn't pass it and I could try again at a later date. I was extremely disappointed.

You just have to keep trying. You'll land something eventually.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Been applying for 2 months now. And not a single call or email. I don't know what I am doing wrong but all this has just left me depressed and just feeling empty as a whole

Been applying for 2 months now. And not a single call or email. I don't know what I am doing wrong but all this has just left me depressed and just feeling empty as a whole

Have you tried getting someone else to overlook your CV for some feedback? Depending on what industry your applying in there may be some people who work in it to have a look and give you some tips. For example I'm trying to crack the media industry and there is a Facebook group where you can post your CV to gather feedback.

I would also make sure any covering letter you send is short and tailored to the places your applying for. Don't get down about your lack of responses their may be nothing wrong with you applications but definitely see it as a sign that maybe something needs tweaking. Keep at it you'll get there :)

gamz

Did you have your resume professionally done? When I had mine done (I used fivver) I got a ton more hits. Also, are you on linkedin.com?

Well, GAF, after 3 years of being technically unemployed (I did complete a MS and an internship during that time, though) I've received a job offer for a state government job that allows me to work from home several days a week, has flexible hours, and pays 53% (!!!!) more than my previous data analyst position. I'm pretty floored and it couldn't come at a better time in my life. I start next week.

I applied for the position online and the whole process took about a month, which from my understanding is pretty fast for state government.

Keep trying! I had several close calls about a year ago and was really discouraged.

StoneFox

I have a phone interview tomorrow for what I believe to be a call center job for $16 an hour (it was kinda vague "need phone and computer skills"). It was pretty much the last thing I wanted to get an interview for since I hated my call center job so much last time that it caused me to suffer panic attacks.

I might be willing to try it again since I have a bit more experience talking to people (albeit in person) but I just get flashbacks to a year ago and think that maybe I should decline the job outright and find a reason revealed in the interview. :/

But then I feel kinda guilty wasting the interviewer's time, but the hiring process is a two way street.

JDHarbs

Entering month 7 of my job search. I took a part time gig at a pizza place nearby just to earn some money while I keep applying. I also finally start volunteering this week after a near 5 month long on-boarding process. Hint: don't volunteer at a hospital unless you REALLY want to.

Actually having things to do now should definitely help my mood, but I'll admit that I got low enough over the past 6 months that I had to start attending a support group.

I only ever had 2 recruiters reach out to me via linkedin. One rejected me, and the other hasn't responded since they contacted me. No freelance gigs for awhile either so hopefully I hear from them eventually.

Need to keep pushing though. Something's gotta give eventually.

RoKKeR

Drop in on this thread from time to time but keep your head up! Had this happen to me at the end of last year and it really sucked, but you pick yourself and keep grinding and something will come through. It does suck when you think you've got it, though. It's alright to be bummed for a bit but it means you were on the right path.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Did you have your resume professionally done? When I had mine done (I used fivver) I got a ton more hits. Also, are you on linkedin.com?
No and yes. I'll look into it. Thank you.

Have you tried getting someone else to overlook your CV for some feedback? Depending on what industry your applying in there may be some people who work in it to have a look and give you some tips. For example I'm trying to crack the media industry and there is a Facebook group where you can post your CV to gather feedback.

I would also make sure any covering letter you send is short and tailored to the places your applying for. Don't get down about your lack of responses their may be nothing wrong with you applications but definitely see it as a sign that maybe something needs tweaking. Keep at it you'll get there :)

I just talked to an employment agency today. They said it looks fine. But told me to see if I could make it better. So I am going to spend tonight and see what I can do.

Thank you both.

Beat me record for number of applications submitted in a day.

Cmon. I wanna get out of my mother's house.
I don't I've ever seen such a relatable post in my life.
I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.

LNBL

So my recruiter just said he forwarded the case i made to the Chief international officer, any tips on what I can mail him as a thanks for the update or something? Really want to come across as eager to work there.

blitz64

Although I finally found a job now.

I always come back into this thread to remind myself to be grateful for the job I have now. I can end up back into job searching any day with a layoff.

FiggyCal

Banned
I just did a HireVue interview. It's for a company that I would love to work for, but that I doubt will even touch my resume. It was a good learning experience though. I stuttered a lot - so i don't think it went well - but I never expected to get the job in the first place.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
2.5 years ago I started my current job when this thread was created. Its been a long time, good to see this thread still going. how you guys doing?

I am starting my new job hunting from today. Wish me luck.

dukeoflegs

I sent out an email with my resume to a company for a job that I think I am well qualified for plus it is for a position I really would like. But...I sent out a draft resume I was working on it has 3 or spelling errors and a couple grammar issues, should I send a new email with the updated resume and an apology?

gamz

I sent out an email with my resume to a company for a job that I think I am well qualified for plus it is for a position I really would like. But...I sent out a draft resume I was working on it has 3 or spelling errors and a couple grammar issues, should I send a new email with the updated resume and an apology?

Not sure what is proper, but I'd do just that. Re-send it out.

entremet

Letters are better than calls lol.

I once got a call--who does this these days?!

I got all excited since I thought it was gonna be an offer, then I heard the tone in their voice.

I had a good laugh at an employment "survey" I took today while applying for a retail position. It's been over a decade since I worked retail and right so this may be old news to many but I couldn't believe some of the questions. Several questions on wether it's okay to do heroin before work, how often do you get in
pshyical fights with people; that kind of thing.

Also the whole process took over two hours, I met with three different, people and now have to wait to see if they call me back for a second interview. I remember when getting a retail job was quick, easy, and the decision was made on the spot. /old man ranting

If I want to get into software development should I take a Microsoft Software Development Fundamentals cert? My main area of interest is web applications as well as mobile (iOS and Android) development.

mhayes86

Don't stop looking, but don't let it worry you too much. It could just be timing. Quite a few people on my project are leaving since the contract is up in a year, and my team alone just had four people leave over the last two months.

Did you email your interviewer to thank them for the tour and such? After some time, follow up with them to show that you're still interested.

Rommel

I've gotten one Gaffer's resume in front of recruiters and hiring managers here. Plenty of positions to go around if you are interested.

Associate (Jr?) Developer (just graduated CS major with a previous internship or a year of experience)
Software Developer
UX Designer
Sr Software Developer
Sr Software Engineer
Sr UX Design/Lead
Product Manager
Number of internships in varying departments

If you are interested I'll forward you the link for job descriptions. Most jobs are located in Lehi, UT or San Francisco.

Good luck job hunters, I know it sucks.

Flux

I had a good laugh at an employment "survey" I took today while applying for a retail position. It's been over a decade since I worked retail and right so this may be old news to many but I couldn't believe some of the questions. Several questions on wether it's okay to do heroin before work, how often do you get in
pshyical fights with people; that kind of thing.

Also the whole process took over two hours, I met with three different, people and now have to wait to see if they call me back for a second interview. I remember when getting a retail job was quick, easy, and the decision was made on the spot. /old man ranting
It wasn't even that long ago when that was a non issue. During highschool I walked in, had two interviews and was told to start the next Monday. The job market sucks right now and with that, the selection process is stingy. Hang in there.

Anybody ever come out of an interview feeling great but for every minute after you hang up and they haven't called back you star second guessing yourself more and more?

Yeah me neither.

Just wrote up an inquiry email about a summer job at a resort (I'm taking Hospitality and Tourism Mngmt. in school right now and could use the experience) and accidentally sent it without a subject title.

I hate myself. I really do.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
First of all, keep looking. You never know what is going to happen until you sign on the dotted line. As far as the reposting, it may have been an internal classification change that you can't see. They may have catered it more towards your salary demands and/or skills. I went through that before. I had the same questions and turns out they moved the job to a another salary level and had to repost it.

Don't stop looking, but don't let it worry you too much. It could just be timing. Quite a few people on my project are leaving since the contract is up in a year, and my team alone just had four people leave over the last two months.

Did you email your interviewer to thank them for the tour and such? After some time, follow up with them to show that you're still interested.

Thanks for the replies.

I did the follow up email to the interviewer the day of. Since ten days passed, I did another email yesterday to let him know that I am still interested in the position. He told me that they are still in the process of interviewing for the position and their HR moves notoriously slow. The minimum requirements for this degree is an MBA in healthcare management ( I possess that) in addition to superior Excel skills (I have that too), among many other things. I think that their pool of people is shallow because of the requirements involved and while I may be the best (only) applicant now, they want to get more people in.

Charcoal

So I had a technical interview Wednesday afternoon and the recruiter said that I should hear back by the end of the next day (Thursday). I sent a follow-up email saying thank you, but still haven't heard anything back.

Should I send a message and ask what's up?

gamz

So I had a technical interview Wednesday afternoon and the recruiter said that I should hear back by the end of the next day (Thursday). I sent a follow-up email saying thank you, but still haven't heard anything back.

Should I send a message and ask what's up?

No, you already sent a follow-up. Recruiter's are notorious for not getting back in time. They deal with a glut of people at any given time. I typically form a relationship with my recruiter and stick with them.

Top Bottom