• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Appreciation to Goemon

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
ganbare-goemon-3-de-super-nintendo-traducido-al-ingles-english.jpg

A series of video games that I always wanted to play, but in Mexico a game of this series never arrived or it was so rare or unknown, but coming from Konami, it caught my attention, the humor and how Japanese it was.

I imagined their video games very entertaining, with humor and very charismatic characters.

I hope Konami makes a compilation.

I always wanted to play the SNES and N64 games, but I never saw a physical game of the series.

maxresdefault.jpg

she was my favorite character

37157.png

done__remake___yae___mystical_ninja_goemon_by_banchouforte_dekyqf4-250t.png

Katajx

Gold Member
I want to try the SNES games and maybe the ps2 ones. The only one I played was the first one on 64 and I think it was pretty great for it’s time in the N64 adventure game template.

I haven’t found another game that made me feel that way. I had no idea who these characters were or what I was doing and then you get a kaijuu sized battle and I don’t think I’ll ever forget I am Impact.

Also, I think I only ever saw this game the few times I rented it and then never saw it again.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Goemon arrived in Mexico, All the USA releases to be exact, even club Nintendo made publicity
TEz7fhk.jpg
I know, but in the 90s it was very difficult or complicated to go to a store and see the physical game, you had to go to unofficial places to buy it and with luck, because of the limited catalog and copies, and those places were and are dangerous.

That happened to me with Megaman X2.

Naked Lunch

Buying the SNES original on a whim back in the day was like finding a hidden treasure - and somehow the game was 2 player co-op!
The game was funny as hell too. The music is timeless. My sister, who really doesnt even game - remembers the music like yesterday when I booted it up for the first time for her in decades.

Fans of the franchise did some amazing english translations of all the other SNES versions (1-4) in recent years. Very high quality games.

I was a big fan of the 2.5D N64 game too.

Sadly I never finished any of them. Might have to get around to that...

Last edited:
I know, but in the 90s it was very difficult or complicated to go to a store and see the physical game, you had to go to unofficial places to buy it and with luck, because of the limited catalog and copies, and those places were and are dangerous.

That happened to me with Megaman X2.
To be honest I never had that issue

I always buyed my games on oficial Nintendo stores, and they always have tons and tons of stock, but I lived in Mexico City

Btw my mom annoy so much the dudes at gamela, its a fact im the first person to own ocarina of time in Mexico, even before the oficial release (good times)

kubricks

I absolutely love the SNES entries, spent so much time playing coop with my friends back in the days.
I think there were 4 entries in SNES, and they all have English patch now.

Davevil

What a memory, with the first episode on the SNES in Japanese. I didn't understand anything..but the skits and game modes made up for everything.
a true masterpiece

kubricks

What a memory, with the first episode on the SNES in Japanese. I didn't understand anything..but the skits and game modes made up for everything.
a true masterpiece

There are English patch for them release on 2020.
If you are into rom hacking you can try them out.

Celine

It was a fantastic series on SNES and N64.
Can't wait to play the spiritual successor Otogi Katsugeki Mameda no Bakeru: Oracle Saitarou no Sainan!! (same producer of the original series).

Last edited:

Impotaku

Have had a love of the series going all the way back to the famicom/GB era, pretty much played & completed every single one of them. Although there are a lot of really poor Goemon games not all of them were made by the same teams these are the ones i kept in my collection. Ignore the other games with them i don't have them all together in one pic some are scattered in other parts ofthe collections now boxed up.
WQsUnN3.jpg

02jonjB.jpg

IOuF4Yw.jpg

c0C5JeF.jpg

rkg0ZDY.jpg

I got the N64 game as a 10-year-old kid in 1998 and I fucking loved it. When the goddamn SINGING MECH showed up my head exploded.

It's the only game in the series I ever played but I still think about it randomly to this day.

Fuz

Banned
It was a fantastic series on SNES and N64.
Can't wait to play the spiritual successor Otogi Katsugeki Mameda no Bakeru: Oracle Saitarou no Sainan!! (same producer of the original series).

Oh this looks awesome!

Neff

Love these games. The first one on SNES was my first ever American import (I'm a Brit), and the first platform/adventure game I bought after SMW, and it blew me away.

Buying the SNES original on a whim back in the day was like finding a hidden treasure

I had already seen it get strong reviews in magazines at the time so I expected something good, but I didn't know what a crazy ride and how much of a flashy showcase for the SNES it would be. It just constantly delivered and impressed without ever slowing down for a minute. Fantastic game.

Where's our compilation, Konami?

Nonehxc

Have had a love of the series going all the way back to the famicom/GB era, pretty much played & completed every single one of them. Although there are a lot of really poor Goemon games not all of them were made by the same teams these are the ones i kept in my collection. Ignore the other games with them i don't have them all together in one pic some are scattered in other parts ofthe collections now boxed up.

c0C5JeF.jpg
In the bottom left game...

that's a...strange flute and stranger reaction. 😐

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
This did come out in Mexico. Konami sold the first game in North American with the Westerned title "The Mystical Ninja." I've seen Super Famicoms sold here used too..

The other two or three Ganbare Goemon games were JP only for the Super Famicom. I bought them on eBay like 9-years back for $12 a piece. I've also seen the N64 cart. Never picked it up though. Rendering Ganbare Goemon into 5th gen 3D just looked awful. The originals still hold up.

Jsisto

Man I hope they rerelease the 3d Zelda-like N64 one at some point. That game was amazing and hilarious.

Last edited:

ramuh

I remember the SNES one and being scared as a kid of the ghosts in the first level. Felt so sorry for those villagers.

Impotaku

The closest we are going to get to Goemon now is mameda no Bakeru, sadly Konami don't love Goemon enough to give his games the compilation treatment they deserve. Goodfeel got really close on their first attempt with mameda no Bakeru it really has the exact same feel of a goemon game it's pretty big too at 63 stages to totally 100% it took 25 hours to find everything. The theming on the levels is peak 3D Goemon, the only thing missing to make it feel identical is there are no hub towns to explore and buy stuff at and play minigames besides that it easily goes up against some of the best in the Goemon series.
ISQdSIF.jpg

Nonehxc

Oh THAT game lol, yeah that anime/manga series is a weird one to say the least, VEry strange GBA game comes with special 3D glasses that you use while playing.
You have an impressive collection.

Of all these, I only ever played seriously Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon 64, which still sits a few meters above my head right now in its shelf. It was awesome, an odd and fun game, so so weirdly japanese. I loved the Mecha Battles haha.

😄🤖🤜🏼💥🤛🏼🤖

I also finished one or two of the SNES ones on emulators, dunno if they were translated ROMs or USA, or if they were ever released in Europe.

It's not a series I've been following, because I think with Goemon you have to be pretty active and alert, having your antenna directly tuned and laser focused on anything Goemon coming in the West, because it seems every time a new game comes here I'm like 5 years late and it's gone everywhere LOL 😆

But for damn sure it's one of my beloved franchises from the past, so much fun spent going around busting heads with that smoking pipe. 😄

Skelterz

It’s genuinely one of the best kept secrets on the N64 Mystical ninja Goemon, I’d do anything for a remake for switch it’s such a great game.

Good-feel the dev studio behind yoshis crafted world (Ex Konami Goemon devs) have just released a spiritual successor exclusive in Japan I'm hoping it comes to the west.

Top Bottom