• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arabic student removed from Southwest flight, "why were you speaking Arabic?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next time I'm in the US, I will purposefully find opportunities to speak Arabic in front of people. I'll record any exchanges I might have with Law Enforcement and post it here on GAF.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
This is ludicrous for many reasons. But one thing that I always find funny is that even if you buy into the mindset that every Arab is a terrorist, why would a real terrorist "expose" himself by speaking Arabic loudly, looking particularly devout, and so on. Just like with the "more patrols in Muslim neighborhoods" nonsense, where policemen are apparently supposed to detect terrorists by looking for "terrorist inside" signs on houses, all these reactions make no fucking sense, even if you'd accept the already silly premise.

"Sorry sir, you're not allowed to speak your native language on this flight."

"Sir, I'm gonna have to ask you to stop that...sir, SIR!"

Syriel

i understand the comments i'm reading and i'm concerned..
but let's look at it from the other side of the coin..
there are issue with terrorism? yes..
a random (stupid) joe sees someone from middle east speaking in arab, he cannot understand what's going on, the only thing he can do is one of the following:

1) be a bigot (like the passenger did)
2) be oblivious to everything
3) pray that it's only your pessimism projecting an unrealistic scenario in your mind..

I'm not saying that the passenger did the right thing, far from it, but as it stands now, from a purely practical point of view the terrorism is winning, in making us concerned towards other individual that have not done us any harm and in most case (in pretty much 99,999999999999% or add even some more :) ) are not going to do us any harm.. but they are fearful (stupid, bigot, but ultimately simply fearful) and will try to weasel out of a (unbelievably low chance) problematic situation...

this is depressing because this won't harm the western citizen (i mean, statistically speaking the sheer number of dead due to terrorist attack is so minuscule compared to potential target, that if you were to be a cinic it would be negligible numerically speaking.. being instead a rational human being, even one innocent death is always one death too many), but will only increase the "distance" between western culture and middle-eastern citizen in general that will not be able to continue the (hard and slow) path to a real integration in the western community (and i mean a "civil" integration, not a religious one.. for all i care, if you're a decent human being, you can even be a pastafarian worshipper of the spaghetti god, and i won't be fazed.. what you choose to believe is up to you)...

Thing is, if the racist lady (and the Southwest employee) REALLY thought this guy was a risk to the safety of the flight, they wouldn't have just taken him off and let the flight go on its merry way.

If racist lady wasn't racist and was worried about a true threat, she would have been the first one off that plane.

If Southwest guy wasn't racist and was worried about a true threat, he would have removed everyone from the plane and had the plane and all of the baggage searched.

The fact that they didn't do any checking of the plane heavily leans towards racism rather than true threat assessment.

Mr. Makhzoomi said an F.B.I. agent told him the Southwest Airlines employee who was upset by the allegation of anti-Muslim bias said a passenger reported hearing him talk about martyrdom in Arabic, using a phrase often associated with jihadists. He denied the charge and was allowed to return to the terminal, he said, where the same Arabic-speaking employee refunded his ticket.
LMAO. My Palestinian friends, Muslim and Christian, say Inshallah (or allahu akbar) all the time. Have fun trying to profile literally near anyone who speaks Arabic.

America is such a ignorant cesspit. Especially in regards to language. Holy crap.

Sianos

Speak American or get out. It's that simple, really.

Don't speak American? Start.
It's a particular hilarious notion because the conservatives who cry that everyone must speak American can barely comprehend the language themselves! With how much of their platform, particularly the social side of it, relies on a destitute lack of understanding of how language functions, what exactly a word is - a semantic handle as opposed to a magic spell that can warp reality at will just by using dishonest connotations, and the mechanics of schema construction and categorization, it is truly ridiculous for them to cry about others being unable to speak English when they themselves appear to be recreating the Chinese Room thought experiment. Maybe a bilingual perspective would help them actually understand language. If I hear one more argument by definition that isn't make a meta point about how pointless arguing by definition is, I'm going to be mildly upset and moderately disappointed.

Granted the inability to understand language and its functionality is not an exclusively conservative phenomenon, but their platform relies on it to a worrying extent.

tkscz

What?
American is not a language btw

Is this also a joke to the joke or did the joke fly over your head?

Seriously though, I blame the security more than the lady. Of course some chicken shit is going to assume he has a bomb because he spoke Arabic, but security should've handled that better. Question the lady first.

Wasn't there a story a few years ago about some morons in an American airport who got freaked out because they heard a bunch of Arab-speaking dudes yelling yalla (i.e. HURRY UP) at each other?

cameron

Vigilance! No logic!

I'd assume incidents like what happened to the student here are severely under-reported. Similar to other forms of harassment and discrimination.

better safe than sorry.

You jest, but this is the reason why people get all hand-wavy about various forms of profiling and why they allow it to continue. A brown person speaking a language other than English being enough to raise suspicion is absolutely ridiculous. Might as well entertain concerns about a gremlin sighted on the left wing.

Instead of enabling this behaviour, it should be standard procedure for the cabin crew to ridicule a nosy "concerned" passenger. Sometimes you need to mock the stupid out of people.

Cormano

giphy.gif

lol

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
When do we get gold stars or silver crescents

FoxSpirit

How is that legal? The man did nothing, a lady says "he is making threatening remarks", eventhough she could not understand a word he was saying and bam, off the plane with him.

Since this is the US, couldn't he sue? I mean, holy shit.

Dingens

[...]
From the TSA webpage:
untitled.JPG

You have to take of your shoes during security? The more you know...
is this a common thing in the US? also wouldn't that like prolong the whole procedure? I mean, security checks are already a nuisance but this...?

Next time I'm in the US, I will purposefully find opportunities to speak Arabic in front of people. I'll record any exchanges I might have with Law Enforcement and post it here on GAF.

make sure you don't get sho....
too late

Lamel

Banned
Arabic is spoken by ~300 million people in the world, gonna be hard to avoid it on planes. So dumb.

Acerac

Banned
If inshallah (or allahu akbar) is associated with terrorists, then every single muslim must be a terrorist.

My Christian Mother legitimately believes we should bomb the middle east until there is nothing left.

I refuse to talk politics with her at this point.

YN12

Banned
Guys, seriously, tell me what the hell is going on in the USA.

Are people really terrified of anybody looking like a muslim or speaking arabic?

Is this widespread? How widespread?

I just cant wrap my head around it. Surely this has been blown out of proportion.

FoxSpirit

My Christian Mother legitimately believes we should bomb the middle east until there is nothing left.

Wow, worse than Hitler. Literally. At least his goal was only 30-40 million Jews or so.

Are people really terrified of anybody looking like a muslim or speaking arabic?

I just cant wrap my head around it. Surely this has been blown out of proportion.

Well, I'm French and my girlfriend is American, and her parents don't want us together anymore (after 5 years together) because since I'm a Christian and most of my family is Muslim, I might convert and as such harm my girlfriend by abusing her or selling her as a sex slave.

They're politically left-wing by the way.

BHHtvkJ.jpg

Acerac

Banned
Wow, worse than Hitler. Literally. At least his goal was only 30-40 million Jews or so.

She watches Fox News every day before work, so it's not like she just thought it up herself.

It's frustrating watching it happen, but there's not much I can really do. I just ask her to change the channel when I visit. =/

YN12

Banned
Well, I'm French and my girlfriend is American, and her parents don't want us together anymore (after 5 years together) because since I'm a Christian and most of my family is Muslim, I might convert and as such harm my girlfriend by abusing her or selling her as a sex slave.

Do you live in America or France?

Two Words

My family is Eritrean and often speak Tigrinya. They're all Catholics. They sometime get looks from people even though they're not speaking Arabic. It's close enough I guess for Islamophobes to get uncomfortable.

RoyalFool

Banned
Wait, so he was discussing ISIS to his uncle, loudly, in Arabic, on a plane?

The guys an insensitive idiot. Here in the UK people (inc white Christians) have been kicked off flights for just mentioning the word bomb (normally as a joke).

Blues1990

The anti-Muslim rhetoric is nothing new in North America. I remember Stephen Harper made eliminating the niqab at naturalization ceremonies part of the cornerstone of his political campaign.

But you'd be surprised how a mixture of ignorance & misinformation can make the most rational individual irrational.

Dunlop

The guys an insensitive idiot. Here in the UK people (inc white Christians) have been kicked off flights for just mentioning the word bomb (normally as a joke).

from the op

She headed for the airplane door soon after he told his uncle that he would call again when he landed, and qualified it with a common phrase in Arabic, “inshallah,” meaning “god willing.”

He was kicked of a plane because the current climate allows people to be racist assholes.

I get the whole talking to him while the plane was still on the tarmac for clarification because other customers were concerned, but kicking him off the plane after the explanation is fucking brutal

darscot

The anti-Muslim rhetoric is nothing new in North America. I remember Stephen Harper made eliminating the niqab at naturalization ceremonies part of the cornerstone of his political campaign.

But you'd be surprised how a mixture of ignorance & misinformation can make the most rational individual irrational.

That was such crap from Harper. What pissed me off the most is they made it seem they just wanted to be able to verify the person's identity and it was total bullshit. I am so glad the court struck it down.

Yeah well that's too bad and all, but did you hear they ain't puttin Merry Christmas on the Starbucks cups any more? That's what we SHOULD be talking about.

Blues1990

That was such crap from Harper. What pissed me off the most is they made it seem they just wanted to be able to verify the person's identity and it was total bullshit. I am so glad the court struck it down.

Among the other idiotic stunts he was trying to pull during his time in office, that one in particular pissed me off the most.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Oh yeah, white people are restricted to only knowing English. Can't believe I forgot about that!

What a ridiculous comment and how offensive it must be for millions upon millions of people who are fluent in more than one language.

BRB, gotta tell my best mate to stop speaking Fijian because he is white and he doesn't know WTF he is talking about.

Because someone who bothered to learn Arabic (for purposes other than military) is soooooo likely to profile someone for speaking Arabic.

Two Words

Oh yeah, white people are restricted to only knowing English. Can't believe I forgot about that!

What a ridiculous comment and how offensive it must be for millions upon millions of people who are fluent in more than one language.

BRB, gotta tell my best mate to stop speaking Fijian because he is white and he doesn't know WTF he is talking about.

If she knew what he was saying, then she wouldn't have been bothered by what he said....

My family is Eritrean and often speak Tigrinya. They're all Catholics. They sometime get looks from people even though they're not speaking Arabic. It's close enough I guess for Islamophobes to get uncomfortable.
Lol. I have a bunch of Eritreans at my local church. I guess to an uneducated moron, of which there are unfortunately many, Tigrinya might sound similar to Arabic. That must suck.

So what you're saying is that Arabs can't talk about ISIS?

Of course there's no way anyone on that plane knew what he was talking about, but we'll ignore that minor point for the sake of discussion.

Syriel

That would make them extremely liberal democrats.

What you're describing sounds like right wing religious conservatives (like Tea Party style).

duckroll

Saying "Islamic State" or "Daesh" on an airplane should be taken seriously by anybody and everybody, no matter what your intention/s were.

Really? This is what society has become? The terrorists have won then, if they don't even need to do anything to make you fear. Gimme a fucking break.

Opto

Banned
Saying "Islamic State" or "Daesh" on an airplane should be taken seriously by anybody and everybody, no matter what your intention/s were.

That's unfair for a lot of reasons, but also because they play nothing but CNN in airports. ISIL and the derogative term for them is going to be on people's minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom