• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade Archives announced for Switch (old Nintendo arcade games retouched)

joedick

I assume Hamster licensed these games, as they have with the other Arcade Archives.

I really hope Switch gets the non-Neo Geo stuff that's been released!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
This is pretty cool, and I'm stoked for Hamster. They really did it with those Neo Geo conversions.

Kind of neat? I mean, it is cool and all, but I am definitely not buying Mario Bros. or Ice Climbers again.

It's not the same game. It's not the same content.

Seriously.

That being said, I think you have to be a big fan of the original games to buy these versions. They're not different enough to purchase if you aren't.

joedick

OP, you mention updated graphics but I think these are the unaltered arcade games. They are updated compared to NES versions, but it looks like they are as they were originally released in the arcades.

RedToad64

It's not the same game. It's not the same content.

Seriously.

That being said, I think you have to be a big fan of these games to buy these versions. They're not different enough to purchase if you aren't.
I am aware that they are different. But if they are like the NES games then they probably have not aged well.

The NES verison of Donkey Kong is shit

If you think the NES version is garbage, go check out the Intellivision or VCS/2600 versions, or even the ColecoVision's. The NES version is excellent by comparison to the other commercially available home ports.

And DK Original Edition, while kind of a sloppy hack, does at least add the missing level (with some sprite flicker due to the NES' limitations) and the DK climbing animation, but you'll notice Nintendo has never put that up for sale....it's only ever been given away as a promotional title. There's probably a reason for even that. EDIT: According to WarioFan63, it was put up for sale on 3DS eShop for the same price as the NES standard version.

mollipen

OP, you mention updated graphics but I think these are the unaltered arcade games. They are updated compared to NES versions, but it looks like they are as they were originally released in the arcades.

Yeah, Hamster has never made graphical improvements to their Arcade Archives titles, so I think the point was indeed just arcade > NES visuals-wise.

On the one hand, good on Hamster for getting Nintendo on board. On the other hand, Virtual Console on the Switch ain't happening this year, and I'm beginning to think that the online subscription is going to be replacing Virtual Console wholesale.

Triple Dash

Neo Member
I'm amazed Arcade Donkey Kong wasn't confirmed. I wonder if we can also get Vs. Castlevania & Vs. Gradius on there as well.

Super pumped for VS Ice Climber. If you haven't played it before, you've never really experienced how fun that game can be. Ice Climber with actually not garbage jumping physics is such a great time.

theclaw135

Banned
And DK Original Edition, while kind of a sloppy hack, does at least add the missing level (with some sprite flicker due to the NES' limitations) and the DK climbing animation, but you'll notice Nintendo has never put that up for sale....it's only ever been given away as a promotional title. There's probably a reason for even that.

Not only did I miss it, 3DS only was a bummer.
Are you listening NOA? (not) We wanted DK Original Edition on the Wii!

This is a neat little precursor to the inevitable Virtual Console stuff they'll give us in 2018. Excited to at least try out Ice Climber and Punch Out!

G0523

Regarding Donkey Kong

Nintendo has never rereleased it (outside of the inclusion in that one DK64 level) because they probably don't actually own the rights to it.

Many of Nintendo's earliest arcade games, Donkey Kong included, were programmed by an outside company named Ikegami Tsushinki when Nintendo themselves didn't really have many in-house programmers. When Nintendo reverse engineered the code to make Donkey Kong Jr. by themselves, Ikegami Tsushinki sued Nintendo and argued that they owned DK's programming. They settled out of court.

Then how were they able to keep the game intact when they ported DK64 to the Wii U VC?

I said this before in the past, but it's still definitely a missed opportunity that they didnt bring Punch-Out!! Arcade to 3DS. It would of literally been perfect with the dual screen setup.

jstripes

Banned
Donkey Kong won't happen, same with DK Jr. and really early Nintendo cabinets because they are not owned by Nintendo. Nintendo partnered with Ikegami Tsushinki for DK1 and the like, then reverse-engineered its code to make DK Jr. They got their hinders sued for the shenanigans and ((lost the rights to DK1's arcade version and the others)).* Of course, they still own the IP and the decent NES ports.

I understand DK1 is in DK64 because Rare made basically a from-scratch recreation of the game without utilizing the original code at all, or something to that effect.

*Technically this part (()) is my speculation since it was settled out-of-court but since those things have never been re-released it's pretty much everyone's conclusion.

Makes me wonder if the original DK source still exists. Probably not, given the age and how Ikegami Tsushinki got out of games.

Interesting that Mario Bros. is releasing on the 27th - normally eShop updates on Thursdays. Is this a one-off, or are we seeing a move to Wednesday updates for non-retail games?

If you think the NES version is garbage, go check out the Intellivision or VCS/2600 versions, or even the ColecoVision's. The NES version is excellent by comparison to the other commercially available home ports.

And DK Original Edition, while kind of a sloppy hack, does at least add the missing level (with some sprite flicker due to the NES' limitations) and the DK climbing animation, but you'll notice Nintendo has never put that up for sale....it's only ever been given away as a promotional title. There's probably a reason for even that.

They actually did put up DK: Original Edition up for sale on 3DS in Europe. I thought it was weird that didnt catch on anywhere else. It costs the same as the regular NES version which last I heard was also still available to buy too.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
This seems like a new take on VC with updated graphics.

Are we sure about that? The dialogue in the trailer seemed to be talking about looking for differences between the arcade versions and their NES counterparts, NOT about these Switch versions having updated graphics.

Is there something showing/mentioning altered graphics between these and their arcade originals? Maybe I'm missing something, but they look the same -- aside from adding in optional ugly blur-o-vision and faux scanlines.

Edit:
Yeah, Hamster has never made graphical improvements to their Arcade Archives titles, so I think the point was indeed just arcade > NES visuals-wise.
... how did I miss both of your posts? Oh well...

BTW, Donkey Kong Original Edition (NES) was also a red-model Wii pre-installed bonus game in PAL regions. (Japan got SMB: 25th Anniversary--SMB1 with the number "25" in the coin blocks--and the US got jack squat, IIRC.)

They actually did put up DK: Original Edition up for sale on 3DS in Europe. I thought it was weird that didnt catch on anywhere else. It costs the same as the regular NES version which last I heard was also still available to buy too.

Ah, I never knew that! I will edit accordingly.

EDIT: Also notable is the DK64 port isn't identical to the arcade version because it was, in fact, a port. One DK enthusiast's (CaptainJivePants) observations:
http://donkeykongforum.com/index.php?topic=1475.0

A few differences I recall off the top of my head.
- Going up to the machine and playing it in the level to get the golden banana and/or Nintendo coin seems to produce the same start as far as RNG/pattern. The "full game" played from the mystery menu does not seem to be as predictable.
- You can hit barrels and flames coming down ladders even when you are standing beside the ladder.
- Barrels are faster.
- Girders seem smaller in general.
- All 5 firefoxes come out quickly on the early rivot screens, and they seem to start off faster (like you would expect on the hard romset).
- Some sprites are different, most noticeably to me was the flames and firefoxes.
- Pie factory flame spawns seem very slow.

Is it available still in US/NA? Just a promo offer back in th day?

Forkball

Rad. When I saw Hamster retweet the Direct, I assumed more SNK games were coming, so this was a nice surprise. Of course I want Donkey Kong, but Mario Bros. is a must-buy and I'm interested in some other titles I never played.

The NES verison of Donkey Kong is shit
It’s pretty accurate, minus the one missing level. The game was one of the most important in Nintendo console history, because when they were designing the Famicom/NES, the goal was to create a game console that could play Donkey Kong. That was the graphics/sound baseline, and at the time in Japan it was far beyond most competition.

Top Bottom