• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade style racing game Xenon Racer releasing March 26th on Switch, PS4, X1, Steam

Bullet Club

Game Features

- Race at top speeds in electric vehicles boosted by Xenon gas
- Drift through the streets of cities like Tokyo and Dubai in 2030
- Triumph in singleplayer, split-screen & online multiplayer championships
- Customize your car with tons of parts to create the ultimate racing vehicle

Gameplay Stream

Barnabot

Sounds very promising but I gotta ask is this going to be 60fps on Switch? And will be some (cool) music playing while we are driving the cars?

Rayderism

Looks cool, and Ill surely buy it, but it just doesn't look over-the-top enough for an arcade racer. Wreckfest can't come soon enough.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
I love arcade racers, but this looks a bit slow and the car designs are fugly as

Skyfox

Preordered for switch!

Fingers crossed!

(For those wondering why anyone would preorder anything - I get where you’re coming from but there are just not enough arcade racers - especially on switch, so I want to support it a bit)

Last edited:

Bullet Club

Xenon Racer Open Beta is now available!

Hi everyone!

Arcade racing is back, because the open beta for Xenon Racer just went live!

This open beta will run from February 27th 9:00am PST until March 6th 9:00am PST and will contain 4 tracks (of the 40 in total) and 2 cars (of the 18 in total). It also includes full customization options with all options unlocked from the start. This way you can adjust the vehicles to make it unique!

We'd love to hear what you think, so if you have any feedback, please let us know via our survey: https://goo.gl/forms/8UIQZvgn0c87xEtn1. We're also giving away one Xenon Racer game key for a platform of choice for EVERY 100 respondents we get, so the more people respond, the more prizes we'll give out!

That's not all, because there's two more ways you can win the giveaway! We have a leaderboards contest and a photo mode contest.

Leaderboards Contest
End in first place on the online leaderboards of one of the 4 tracks in the game and win a Xenon Racer game key for a platform of choice! 4 keys in total will be handed out in total and winners will be announced in the Steam Community Hub of Xenon Racer as an announcement and on Discord (https://discord.gg/8C4VYkP).

Photo Mode Contest
Make the most beautiful shot in photo mode! Access photo mode in the pause menu during a race or select photo mode in the garage to set up your picture and use F12 to capture. Share it to Facebook, Twitter or Instagram using #XenonRacer for a chance to win one of the 6 Xenon Racer game keys of choice! Winners will be announced in the Xenon Racer Steam Community Hub and on Discord (https://discord.gg/8C4VYkP).

I'll see you all on the track ;)

-Marten

https://steamcommunity.com/games/899390/announcements/detail/1800782304051105748

Last edited:
I've been playing the Beta on Steam for a bit since it dropped. Pretty decent old-school arcade racer based on what's available in the demo. The PC version has a few options to tweak, but I'd like a few more like the option to tone down the FOV fish-eye lens effect when going fast.

Beta is here:

Cars control well, it's the standard lift-drift arcade setup. Essentially if you aren't drifting you aren't going around the corner. Once you get used to it, or if you grew up with arcade racers, it's fluid. Drifting or hitting pads on the track recharges the car's battery, which is essentially the boost. The two beta tracks are pretty neat. There is a Tokyo track and a track based in Lake Louise up here in Canada not too far from me so that was kind of cool to see. There's no real-time weather or daytime changes but each track has a day/night/sunset/foggy selection and each one looked nice as a whole. The AI in single player wasn't bad, they have a tendency to commit suicide from time to time, but overall they were pretty good at not being complete assholes. The music in the Beta is alright, not spectacular but not offensive.

There are some inconsistencies in the visuals, like some of the trackside details. The crowds make the crowds in Forza Motorsport games look good, the motion blur effects are way overdone (you can tone them down on PC) and the texture work is very inconsistent. Some trackside object texture work is low end, but in racing you'll never notice. The Tokyo track re-used a billboard of a woman holding chopsticks too often (multiples on screen at once) which was a little distracting. This is a beta and so I'm not going to hold too much against the visuals. It does have some really well done effects I will bring up though.

The car models are pretty nice, there is a decent amount of detail here, and some of the cars change shape during the race. The cars are all pretty interestingly designed, with ties to real cars here and there, but looking completely original, I think they're the game's high point. The game employs some really well executed screen space reflection, including self-reflection. The only other racing game I've seen that uses SSR for self reflection on the cars is Driveclub. Overall the game looks nice minus the motion Blur and the fisheye lens effect which could both be toned back a bit. If some of the small details can be ironed out before the full release it'll look great.

Edit: I completely forgot to mention the customization. You can edit the car's liveries and paint including the wheels and glass. It's not as robust as Forza's setup, but it's pretty nice. you can also change the car's aero package, wheels, and charging system which all affect the car's performance.

Based on the beta I'm looking forward to the full game

QhxsSj4.jpg

72kKDTM.jpg

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Not bad looking. But I'm desperate for a balls to the wall arcade racer on my pc so I'll take anything.

EDarkness

I want to try this game, but I'm worried that the NS version is gonna suck. I'll probably check out some streams if some Nintendo sites get the game to see how it is.

Skyfox

I’ve written about this game a few times on gaf and around the net but it’s like firing blanks.

I play this game every day on Switch.

I’ve got 33 games on this platform and countless others on Xbox and PlayStation and this is what I’m playing because it’s fucking phenomenal.

Music, graphics, gameplay, style, fun.

NO one is playing the best arcade racer on switch. Not even talking about it.

It had a crap launch and needed a patch but for the love of God someone please back me up here.

I’m playing it right now and I’m pretty sure no one else is playing it on Switch. I’ve been to the Xenon Racer discord and there’s like 3 people over the space of a week.

It’s like discovering a working hoverboard in an abandoned skate park - brilliant fun but so bizarre to be the only one enjoying something so cool.

I’ve written about this game a few times on gaf and around the net but it’s like firing blanks.

I play this game every day on Switch.

I’ve got 33 games on this platform and countless others on Xbox and PlayStation and this is what I’m playing because it’s fucking phenomenal.

Music, graphics, gameplay, style, fun.

NO one is playing the best arcade racer on switch. Not even talking about it.

It had a crap launch and needed a patch but for the love of God someone please back me up here.

I’m playing it right now and I’m pretty sure no one else is playing it on Switch. I’ve been to the Xenon Racer discord and there’s like 3 people over the space of a week.

It’s like discovering a working hoverboard in an abandoned skate park - brilliant fun but so bizarre to be the only one enjoying something so cool.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I still update the Forza 7 OT when they add things and I've never sparked a conversation. I barely got anything going for the Horizon 4 OT here either. It's catching lightning in a bottle with racing games right now unless the game rhymes with Rand Roorismo Rort.

It really is a fun game, very old-school arcade and requires twitch precision on some of the tracks. AI is still bordering on simpleton, but it's no worse than the old racers I grew up with. I had a lot of fun with the beta on PC and they've been updating since launch.

Top Bottom