• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Archeblade |OT| Free to Play Arena Fighter now out on Steam

Launch trailer
ss_e643280f9f0644fd417287cc4e676fe50be713a4.1920x1080.jpg
ss_ee82004fd211706f7e270875b326e47829246fc4.1920x1080.jpg

What is it?
An "Arena Fighter", or a third person melee combat multiplayer game. Not actually a MOBA.

Combat
There's a light attack with a three hit combo, a secondary attack that's often a projectile or other "special move", you can block, guard break, launch up, and there's character specific moves like dashing or flight, and moves that use a meter you build up.

Game Types
Capture the Base (Control Points)
Team Last Man Standing (Elimination)
Free for All
Team Deathmatch

Free to Play Stuff
ArcheBlade_Official_02_Chracters.jpg
ArcheBlade_Official_03_GearUp2.jpg

Try out characters in training mode before buying them with in game or premium currency. Buy stronger equipment with in game currency. Buy stronger equipment of the goofy cosmetic item type with premium currency.

slamtastics very important professional opinion
Well, Anarchy Reigns doesn't have a PC version. *shrug*

Shiokazu

i have a serious question.

i have looked the item store, there are some items there that can only be unlocked using gems. And after looking at the stats they give, it leaves a faint feeling of the game being pay 2 win.

what do you think about it?

Shiokazu

does this game work well with a controller?

as far as i saw into it, it do work with a controller, but i could not be sure if it work well with one

one thing for sure, it does not have a button config for controller, unless its hidden in the files of the game. even the tutorial is given out with keyboard and mouse.

It's a UE3 game, to the button config accepts 360 pad input, but I think you have to use Xpadder or JoyToKey or whatever to remap the basic attacks (left and right click) which can't be changed. And you'll have to remember your layout because the ingame prompts won't reflect non keyboard mappings.

I've been playing using a controller it works okay.

The game is clearly designed for mouse though, as often times your combos will whiff unless you keep rotating your camera view to keep your opponent perfectly lined up, and the sensitivity option doesn't affect joystick input.

cripterion

Yep, I tried it yesterday for 30mns or so, everything is mapped correctly to the controller (albeit the power charge being mapped to Y is so so). And I second what Slamtastic said, you'll get your ass handed to you if you use the gameplad, it's easier to go keyboard/mouse combo.

Game is not for me though.

i have a serious question.

i have looked the item store, there are some items there that can only be unlocked using gems. And after looking at the stats they give, it leaves a faint feeling of the game being pay 2 win.

what do you think about it?

Developer's statement:

We want to take this time to talk about the P2W issue as many players are concerned about it.
We’ve had many discussions here at Codebrush after the official launch about this issue, and we want to tell you that the reason we added those items with stats was because we decided that considering the game mechanic of ArcheBlade, it would be difficult for it to turn into a P2W unless we add incredibly advantageous amount of stats to each item.

The current amount of stats applied to each item is the minimum amount we could apply while respecting the players who paid, affecting the outcome of combat to the least extent possible, when two players at the same level, one with GEM exclusive items, and one with Meceta items, fight. All our staff at Codebrush also disagreed with turning the game into a P2W so we feel very sorry to see many of you feel that the game has turned into one.

Elrath’s rank 22 weapon “Claws” which will have a stat that gives quicker full charge in the coming patch, will be the only high tier item available, and the fact that you will be able to purchase it either with GEM or Meceta shows our intention to stay away from P2W.

However we heard your voice loud and clear, and that’s why we’re planning to make an adjustment in this regard in our next patch which is coming soon.

We will continue to listen to your feedback and apply them in the game until you feel assured that the game’s not P2W.

Thank you for your time, and enjoy your game.
Codebrush Games

So they believe that you just have to overcome the paid item's stats with game skill, but intend to do something in a future patch in response to the complaints.

I myself have spending my time playing considering the underlying game mechanics/control/character moves, I haven;t been to the shop for more than characters themselves. If the game manages to hook me and I stick with it, perhaps I'll be angry about the monetization. But a free to play game with advantages for playing versus a $40 or whatever game without is a tough call to make when I don't have $40.

Was on board until I read the part where you have to pay for chars.
You can also grind out in game currency via wins.

Xerotwo

From playing this during Open Beta, it's similar to Smite than any other MOBA with your typical anime character designs included.

What I remembered while playing, the ranged characters made you feel like it was a third person shooter. As for melee/tanky characters, the controls were a bit wonky.

I did remember the game being pretty laggy at times when everyone is at one area, doing all kinds of crazy shit.

Haven't gone back to play it afterwards.

Game is bad, but worth a play to make some quick deposits.

I'd say its bad but worth it to try to fill a niche that I can't get better elsewhere.

I certainly wish there was a better arena fighter of this type (more than 1v1, so not the PC version of Naruto) out there.

I hope Rise of Incarnates ends up more gound based and melee focused than the Gundam games/the footage so far. Or SEGA ports Anarchy Reigns to PC (lol).

Mugaaz

Tried it, it sucks. Matchmaking is complete shit, impossible to find a game. Gave up after 15 mins. Messed around in trial mode, chars were cool but so few moves. Uninstalled.

Techies

I love the Korean style. Need to check it out, it's only a gig and free to play, so can't hurt.
The levels also have the Unreal Tournament charm to it.

Might be the closest thing we'll ever get to Unreal Championship.

Techies

It's not bad, it's not great,it's all-right. There are players though, last time I check there was 2000+ online playing it, so it's not a bad game to jump in and out with. Not sure how long it will last me personally, but atm it's fun and different enough for me.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/archeblade/announcements/detail/1804000826842464336
Dear all,

First of all, thank you all for playing ArcheBlade. Without your support we wouldn’t have gotten where we are now, and you have given us many great memories.

Unfortunately we have bad news to share with you.

Being an indie studio, we have never been in a good situation financially, and it did not get any better as time went. The official release was our last shot to turn things around revamping our monetization system at the official launch.

We had a series of serious discussions here at Codebrush Games looking for any way to keep going with this project but looking at our performance so far after the official release, things don’t look very promising to us. It will require us to increase our sales by many folds just to survive, and considering the game’s monetization system and the company’s limited financial resources, the odds do not appear to be in our favor.

We decided that the only solution available for us is to put the game’s whole operation on hold, and downsize the staff. We don’t have a definite future plan at the moment after this project but we will keep you posted. To be clear, putting the game on hold means the followings.

- There will be no more updates/customer support.
- We will stop saving customer data base.
- However your Steam stats will remain.
- Also the game will remain playable on Steam
- The servers hosted by Codebrush will close, however users will still be able to host servers.

This may come as devastating for all you Archebladers, and we sincerely apologize for this. However we’re afraid that that seems to be the only option available to us.

This will definitely affect all of you who invested in the game, but we will not let your support go to waste and will do our best to compensate your investment in the game. (We will make another announcement as to how we will compensate you so please stay tuned.)

A patch is coming soon after this announcement, so it would be great if you could take your time to read the following details.

- GEMs will no longer be purchasable on the Shop.
- Booster items will no longer be purchasable on the Shop

All our staff at Codebrush Games sincerely thank you for staying with us all this time, and we apologize for this sudden news.

We hope we will see you guys again in the future.
Codebrush Games

rest in pepperoni
4/25/14 - 5/12/14

Qvoth

well the game itself has been on steam f2p page for close to a year right? it's just that the official release was recent

danmaku

well the game itself has been on steam f2p page for close to a year right? it's just that the official release was recent

Yes, I remember playing it in 2013. I like the characters, but the game wasn't very good, combat was just a big spammy mess.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It got stale too fast. There wasn't enough variety, or depth, to keep people coming back.

The most interesting the game got is when I entered some of the 1v1 fight clubs and watched people who were really good play, at which point I realized that this game had the depth of a inflatable kiddie pool.

Shame, really, it could've been good.

Top Bottom