• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct 10th Anniversary - Free to Play Version & Anniversry Edition Announced (Xbox/PC/Steam)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Following the release of the 10th anniversary update, Killer Instinct will have two versions. The free-to-play version will feature one free weekly rotating Fighter and contain the Single-Player, Local, and Ranked modes. For players who want to access all the content, including the full 29-character roster of playable characters and all previously-released DLC, there is the Killer Instinct Anniversary Edition which will be available for purchase.

If you already own the Killer Instinct Definitive Edition, it will be upgraded to the Anniversary Edition for free. Some content present in the Definitive Edition won’t carry over to the Anniversary Edition. This includes the Definitive Edition App and Killer Instinct Classic 1 and 2 on Xbox. If you own Killer Instinct Definitive Edition digitally, however, that content will still be available to be redownloaded at no cost. The ability to purchase fighters individually will be retired; you can either purchase all of them at once via the Anniversary Edition, or you can play them via the rotating fighter feature as part of the free-to-play version of the game.

oJXN4CB.png

F_kVxGwXcAAceOp

Last edited:
So good I almost want to port beg for it. Killer Instinct really does deserve the best, and seeing them give this update out of love is awesome.

//DEVIL//

Honestly this is my fav fighting game of all time. Its not a joke. The only other game that I am super excited to play is Tekken 8.

the DE is on sale right now for like 13$. People should buy it as I think they will shadow drop the game at The Award next month along with BG3 xbox version.

Buy it people. So we can get a sequel.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
This game fucking rules and I will absolutely reinstall for this. It’s such a travesty that Amazon bought the original devs and sent them to languish in their MMO mines or whatever it is they’re doing. Don’t let them fool you into thinking this was a game from Iron Galaxy.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This already was a FTP game with rotating characters. Was it removed at some point?

Anyways I take it I won’t lose access to the original arcade games on PC, from the DE?

graywolf323

so is there anything I'd be missing out on if I didn't grab the current Steam version on sale? I already own it on Xbox but I was planning on getting it on Steam eventually but it's not been high on my priority list

so is there anything I'd be missing out on if I didn't grab the current Steam version on sale? I already own it on Xbox but I was planning on getting it on Steam eventually but it's not been high on my priority list
I think the new Anniversary edition won’t include the original arcade KI and KI2 for some reason, but the current Definitive Edition does. If you have those on Xbox already it probably doesn’t make a difference.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This already was a FTP game with rotating characters. Was it removed at some point?

Anyways I take it I won’t lose access to the original arcade games on PC, from the DE?

No they're just making it two SKUs now, the "anniversary" has all the DLC / premium content.

The game will also be upped to native Series S|X with higher resolution and shit.

Last edited:

Renoir

is this one of those promos where they are testing the waters see if the gamers want more? Sequel might be incoming depending on demand?

graywolf323

I think the new Anniversary edition won’t include the original arcade KI and KI2 for some reason, but the current Definitive Edition does. If you have those on Xbox already it probably doesn’t make a difference.
yeah but the article only mentions those being on Xbox? are they not in the Steam edition in the first place? :confused:

looks like this answers my question, so there's no real difference re: Steam, hmm I'll have to decide before tomorrow whether to grab it now even though it's a bit more than I was hoping to spend vs. waiting for the upgraded edition to eventually hit $10

Last edited:

Shakka43

I can't think of anyone that would legitimately place the original Killer Instinct into a best fighting games list. The 2013 version bests it in nearly every way possible a competes with the greatest fighters of all time, IMO.
Different tastes then, 2013 wouldn't crack my top 10 favorite fighting games list but the original arcade and SNES(which I actually played way more and still do) is an easy #1.

Not a pro fighting player though, and I have fallen out of love with the genre so my opinion is more of a casual point of view than a hardcore one.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Different tastes then, 2013 wouldn't crack my top 10 favorite fighting games list but the original arcade and SNES(which I actually played way more and still do) is an easy #1.

Not a pro fighting player though, and I have fallen out of love with the genre so my opinion is just more of a casual point of view.
KI2013 is flashier, but somehow not as fun.

violence

From what I hear, the reason there’s been no sequel is because there’s only two (non-Indy) western developers that can actually do it. Iron galaxy and NetherRealm. Iron galaxy's plate has been full with other stuff.

I can't think of anyone that would legitimately place the original Killer Instinct into a best fighting games list. The 2013 version bests it in nearly every way possible a competes with the greatest fighters of all time, IMO.
KI2013 may be a more competent fighter by contemporary standards, but it's also a completely watered down, bargain bin representation of the franchise.
it's some modern game with a thin KI skin slapped on top.

If you want KI1 and KI2 and the Definitive Edition content (interviews, artwork, etc), you should buy it now before the update tomorrow.

The reason they couldn't include it in the Anniversary edition is because KI1 and KI2 is rated mature where the new KI is rated T for Teens.
I guess they wanted to reach a wider audience. If you already own the Definitive edition, even with the update, you'll have access to the Definitive edition content and KI1 and KI2 although they didn't specify how you access them yet. James Hoddard, the head of KI, did say they are working on it.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
From what I hear, the reason there’s been no sequel is because there’s only two (non-Indy) western developers that can actually do it. Iron galaxy and NetherRealm. Iron galaxy's plate has been full with other stuff.
What would happen if another developer tried?

RobRSG

Somehow I've never played this 2013 version of KI, but will give it a shot once it gets the Series X native enhancements.
The current version already runs at 4K 60 pretty much maxed out, so I think they will only update the UI elements to 4K as well.

The game already look awesome as is.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I got all of the stuff for the 2016 version but I haven't played it in a while. Looking forward to getting back into it.

Last edited:
IG does great when it comes to gameplay. Since S2, they've made mostly good decisions with the changes they've implemented and they seem to be fixing the worst gameplay offenders with this patch.
Although I think they overbuffed Jago's DP in this, for the most part, I think they've gotten it right.

They need help with the art and human character models as that seems to be their weakest point. I'm looking at Kim Wu, who is still among the fugliest fighting game character ever created. Tusk and Eagle aren't a gems either art wise. When it comes to lighting, I seem to remember that they are limited to what they can do due to the engine Double Helix chose back in the day which was modified from the Buffy game.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If you want KI1 and KI2 and the Definitive Edition content (interviews, artwork, etc), you should buy it now before the update tomorrow.

The reason they couldn't include it in the Anniversary edition is because KI1 and KI2 is rated mature where the new KI is rated T for Teens.
I guess they wanted to reach a wider audience. If you already own the Definitive edition, even with the update, you'll have access to the Definitive edition content and KI1 and KI2 although they didn't specify how you access them yet. James Hoddard, the head of KI, did say they are working on it.
That is how they got me to buy it at £11 something (on sale and with some GP discount maybe)… only way to have KI & KI Classic editions in the digital library even after the “purge”. They could have announced that they would be offered for sale separately though :p.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Rift in space-time. Took centuries to close it last time another developer tried, except nobody knew because closing the rift erased the effort to close it from everyone's memory and reset the timeline.
Thankyou. I had a feeling, but obviously couldn't find it in the records.

Top Bottom