• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Games Better Than Ever?

Sjefen

Even though there are some shady business out there in the gaming world, games have really gotten really good over the last decade and I think we have an amazing 2018 in store.

Absolutely, anyone who says otherwise is simply a damn crazy person.

There is a vast sea of diversity in the medium now. It's not like the last console generation where genres died off and everything basically became homogenized. Now, we have video games that can appeal to pretty much everyone.

Lusankya

In terms of gameplay.... well, not so sure. Some games have great gameplay, some games are boring as hell.
I mean, yeah, but that was true every single year since the introduction of video games. To be honest I don't mind if there are many "too easy, too casual" games as long if there are many games that suit my taste. And so far I always found more than enough games for me every year.

It's constantly changing. I think if you weren't there in the beginning, it's kind of hard to judge. What is ancient technology now, was the newest of the newest back then. It was amazing.

I agree here. It's hard to fairly judge the quality and influence of older titles if you didn't experience them at the time of their release. Although it's not unfair to say that some games have aged rather poorly and some other quite well.

It's cool that today we have super easy access to all new and many old games and the only way you could be dis-satisfied with gaming is if you only like some very specific genres which have died over time or are only getting a couple of releases.

Zzzonked

Three of the best games I've ever played came out this year, so yes.

PUBG
Divinity Original Sin 2
Zelda BOTW

Also, the list in OP is terrible.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
2017 is very stacked, like 1998 level.

The "B" and "A" level games there year are all AAA in retrospect. Mario and a Zelda.

Great Japanese games (as usual), that are ALSO selling.

Sonic even had a good game.

And Edith Finch!!

Durante

My favourite genre (CRPGs) is doing better than ever, so I 'd say so.
Really? Divinity 2 stands as one of the all-time greats for me. The more time I spend with it the more I enjoy it. I'd still rank Torment higher (cliche, I know) but Divinity 2 has everything I look for in a rpg and then some.
Same here.

Fukuzatsu

As someone who didn't really get into gaming until the PS1 came out, I've never had any kind of nostalgia for the SNES or even the PS1/N64/Saturn era in general. There were a lot of games I enjoyed (Megaman, Mario, Castlevania, Final Fantasy, what have you) but I would never want to trade the fidelity and depth with which I can enjoy games now for what we had back then.

Your list is very heavily-weighted to systems before 2000, I have a feeling mine would look very different.

Best post of the thread.

Nah, games like Breath of the Wild, Bloodborne, Doom, Mario Odyssey, Bayonetta 2, Tropical Freeze, The Phantom Pain, Nioh, Prey, Hitman, The Witness, Overwatch, Rocket League, Cuphead and tons of others are praised because of their gameplay.

If anything, we're seeing more player agency and freedom. Not just in immersive sims like Prey and Dishonored 2, but also in games like Hitman, BotW, SMO, PUBG, TPP and Divinity Original Sin 2.

There is hand holding in big AAA games, often optional, but they represent a small percentage of all games.

That and gaming should not just be for a small hardcore Elite.

Terrorblot

I'd say Video Games are at the best they've ever been for sure! Plenty of big budget games with dev teams with enough freedom to try new things, Indie games are easier and cheaper to make than ever before allowing for nostalgic genres and styles with some of those games being every bit as good as the actual classics, and online gaming is thriving. Also, you keep thinking that we've seen everything there is to see but new subgenres and niches are cropping up all the time like MOBAS, survival games, Hero shooters, battle royale games, Rocket League, etc.

That being said as a "culture" we really need to grow up and put the rampant trolling, racism, sexism, homophobia, etc to bed and make it known that there's no place for it here. And of course Loot Boxes are gambling and should be regulated.

Surfside

Banned
Nah, games like Breath of the Wild, Bloodborne, Doom, Mario Odyssey, Bayonetta 2, Tropical Freeze, The Phantom Pain, Nioh, Prey, Hitman, The Witness, Overwatch, Rocket League, Cuphead and tons of others are praised because of their gameplay.

If anything, we're seeing more player agency and freedom. Not just in immersive sims like Prey and Dishonored 2, but also in games like Hitman, BotW, SMO, PUBG, TPP and Divinity Original Sin 2.

There is hand holding in big AAA games, often optional, but they represent a small percentage of all games.

I agree, Pubs seem to have more confidence in the players abilities again. Even Nintendo gives it's games more freedom. Also i agree that gaming isn't just for the hardcore, i'm just glad that there's more choices for everyone. Not every game needs to be made with everyone in mind.

Games are great, probably better than they've ever been - expect for that year when everyone was 14. Those will always be the best.

Also now is the best time to be playing Video Games. It says so on my tshirt, so it must be true.

Timu

Yeah, I'm glad these games exist as well, they helped this gen a lot.

Clod83

The best era to play videogames IMHO was between 1987 and 1994 when we had simultaneous C64, Amiga, Pc Engine, Megadrive, SNES, Neo-Geo, Arcade games at their best + a Pc market rising.

Top Bottom