• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Gen 8 remasters dead for next gen? What would you expect from a remake?

cormack12

Gold Member
So, with the enormous gap in power between Gen 8 and the upcoming Gen 9, we look to have full and proper BC on both platforms for Gen 8 games. It's likely both have some sort of native benefit and we won't need a 'boost' mode to switch it on heopfully. What does this mean for remasters? I'm really not expecting to have to pay the same price for a TLOU II Remaster, GoT, or Gears 5 'remaster'. Obivouosly, the Sony games needed a remaster coming from the Cell engines and codebase.

I'd expect resolution improvements, frame rate improvements to just be there and not have to shell out an extra £40 just for the next gen version. I don't think that's beyond a degree of reasonability. Should that extend to textures and asset quality etc. Maybe even recompile options like draw distance, LOD levels, shadows.

If they are going to try and remaster later games from this generation to take full advantage of the new consoles, what are the bare minimum in upgrades/changes you expect, and what price do you expect to be paying

shubik

Hmm yeah I thought about this as well. I guess a treatment like ND did for the last of us remaster. Higher resolution, maybe better textures or performance modes... nothing crazy I guess

vkbest

So, with the enormous gap in power between Gen 8 and the upcoming Gen 9, we look to have full and proper BC on both platforms for Gen 8 games. It's likely both have some sort of native benefit and we won't need a 'boost' mode to switch it on heopfully. What does this mean for remasters? I'm really not expecting to have to pay the same price for a TLOU II Remaster, GoT, or Gears 5 'remaster'. Obivouosly, the Sony games needed a remaster coming from the Cell engines and codebase.

I'd expect resolution improvements, frame rate improvements to just be there and not have to shell out an extra £40 just for the next gen version. I don't think that's beyond a degree of reasonability. Should that extend to textures and asset quality etc. Maybe even recompile options like draw distance, LOD levels, shadows.

If they are going to try and remaster later games from this generation to take full advantage of the new consoles, what are the bare minimum in upgrades/changes you expect, and what price do you expect to be paying

No, you have BC in some XBOX One games, and remasters released after

BC will not improve framerate or resolution for itself, will be patches or games with unlocked framerates or dynamic resolution. So I expect remaster games such as RDR2, GTA V, Sony games, Ubisoft games, Bethesda games, etc

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
25 year old games will keep getting "remasters".

T-Cake

Hopefully this gen will see Infamous, Resistance and Killzone remasters (from Gen 7).

But as for Gen 8, I'd love to see as many devs as possible patching their games, deleting all the different modes for X/Pro games. So instead of having to pick between dynamic 4K30 or 1080p60/1440p60, the games run at 4K60 (or even 4K120 if possible). Things like The Witcher 3, Doom 2016, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Forza Horizon 3+4, Assassin's Creed - Black Flag, Unity, Syndicate, Origins and Oddysey. Save some dev time and use AI to produce new textures and just slot them in.

And how criminal of me to forget Sony's first party stuff - God of War, Horizon ZD, Uncharted 4 + LL, The Last Of Us, etc etc. all need PS5 patches for 4K60 goodness. Especially Sony's first party stuff because it sounds like PS5's BC solution is not going to dramatically enhance any games like the XSX will.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
And how criminal of me to forget Sony's first party stuff - God of War, Horizon ZD, Uncharted 4 + LL, The Last Of Us, etc etc. all need PS5 patches for 4K60 goodness. Especially Sony's first party stuff because it sounds like PS5's BC solution is not going to dramatically enhance any games like the XSX will.

Yeah I'll be honest, if there's no patch for GoT/TLOU II and you're expected to buy them at £40 I'm not gonna be happy with that. At all.

Ellery

They would need to go through enormous lengths in order to make me buy PS4 optimized/remastered games for PS5 again. I expect free patches for some games that increase resolution and maybe framerate/raytracing.

It is much easier for them to develop for the PS5 now and optimize already existing PS4 games and you can always just play the game through BC if you want to. They don't have the leverage of "if you want to play this game on PS4 you will have to pay for it" anymore. Now they have to think differently. They could do it with PS3 (or earlier) games for the PS5, but PS4 titles will be a hard sell as remastered games for the PS5.

Paid upgrade patches maybe. But I think that is a niche market and those that would go for it are also the ones that would be vocal about how shitty that is on social media. (especially when Xbox is doing it for free with OPTIMIZED FOR XBOX SERIES X BADGE).

Remake is a different thing alltogether. A remake is basically a new game based on an already existing game remade from the ground up. If I am interested and they are well made (Like Resident Evil Remake on the Gamecube) then yes those games are worth full price, but that topic is very different from optimized games or remastered games or games that get improvement patches.

So I hope for free upgrade patches that make the games running at full native 4K, maybe 60fps if possible without breaking the physics in the world and RayTracing (not sure how the implementation is going to look like or if it would require substantial work from the developers) other than that I hope PS4 remasters are dead for PS5.

Dontero

Banned
I mean they already announced CB2077 and GTA5 as next gen "remasters". Plenty of other followed like AC Valhala etc.
Here is bigger claim: They will be "remastering" still PS3 games and sell them on PS5 or even PS2 games.

Ellery

I mean they already announced CB2077 and GTA5 as next gen "remasters". Plenty of other followed like AC Valhala etc.
Here is bigger claim: They will be "remastering" still PS3 games and sell them on PS5 or even PS2 games.

I would prefer full BC, but for me personally remastered PS 1,2,3 games are less of an issue, because of how different the architecture is from the PS5.

But I think PS 1,2,3 games are so old now that a remastered version would be nowhere near full price. Maybe put Metal Gear Solid games for 9,99$ on PSN.

GlockSaint

I don't think any ps4 game should be remastered if the ps5 is backwards compatible cause it stands to reason that it will run better anyway, just check out the x1x running older 360 games, they look like remasters themselves lol.
Most remasters tend to be barebones af anyway, higher resolution better fps and that's it, they should die.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Even this gen, the PS3/360 "remasters" are usually just ports of the PC version that came out same day as the originals, with maybe a few extra shaders and some textures. A few times they didn't even bother to re-release the game on PC, and other times, the new version actually looked worse (Arkham, etc).

We will see what happens, but I don't think the gap in power is that enormous, especially when you take into account the One X/Pro versions. I think any next gen ports we get will be even more worthless than most of the ones this gen.

Anki

Banned
I skipped a lot of late ps4 exclusives so i would be happy if they release remastered versions for ps5. 60 fps is all i am asking i dont care if its 1080p or 4k just be 60fps.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I expect to play exactly the same game with NO CHANGES. Just make it 4k/60 or more. Vanilla graphics otherwise. Maybe increase draw distance.
Kinda like halo on pc is happening

At least we had the enhanced consoles so if you never used a Pro/One X then you should have plenty of games upgraded at launch anyway, really no need for remasters of current gen games.

I'd take something like a Motorstorm or Resistance trilogy remaster tho

sn0man

'd expect resolution improvements, frame rate improvements to just be there and not have to shell out an extra £40 just for the next gen version. I don't think that's beyond a degree of reasonability. Should that extend to textures and asset quality etc. Maybe even recompile options like draw distance, LOD levels, shadows.

I feel like resolution is good enough on PS4 that I would prefer (almost expect) 60 FPS and get rid of LOD pop-in. Those two would be nice.
In my wildest dreams I would prefer discs for PS1–4 play out of the gate for PS5. In reality I think you hit the nail on the head. They can get away with old 1–3 PS games and folks won’t complain and personally I won’t touch them but I also won’t complain when they show up.

I’m expecting RT

TLOU RT, COD MW RT, Skyrim RT, etc
Okay... now this is a good call. Experiencing something from PS2 or PS3 with RT could be compelling to many. I would personally rather see a new IP leverage RT but I get this stance.

Kokoloko85

Mass Effect trilogy.

Im hoping Nintendo is going to remaster alot of ther previous games. Even if its Wind Waker HD style

Trogdor1123

You can expect additional fees for upgrading ;)
I can see this for sure. They will offer "upgrades". They won't have remake the game, just patch in the content. Don't need to republish or incur all those extra expenses.

They will make more money this way and reduce their risk.

Fbh

I think the more basic format of the remaster we have now, when it's essentially just the exact same game at a higher res and with smoother framerate will either go away or become a lot cheaper (Say, $10 if you own the "last gen" version).

For anything released for more than like $15 I'd expect some actual work to have gone into it. New assets, enhanced gameplay mechanics, new visual effects, etc. Like the Modern Warfare Remaster which was closer to a remake.

Wvrs

I would pay like $10 for a remaster that is more than just upscaling the resolution and upping the frame rate.

Work in some new textures, add RT, a few other bells and whistles and I'm willing to kick a few bucks in for that patch.

D.Final

Banned
I would pay like $10 for a remaster that is more than just upscaling the resolution and upping the frame rate.

Work in some new textures, add RT, a few other bells and whistles and I'm willing to kick a few bucks in for that patch.
Welp

Top Bottom