• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Musical movies the most unpopular or worst genre in cinema?

nush

7 brides for 7 brothers is wonderful.

I like musicals.

I've watched that theatrically, that's how I understood why the genre is popular. Not really the same when your previous experience is something your mum would watch on TV at the weekend.

Hudo

I find musical movies to be a very good gateway to opera music. That's at least how it happened for me. It's been a while since my last opera,tho. The last one I've seen was Philip Glass' Akhnaten 2019 at the Metropolitan Opera (the set design and composition is out of this world, man)

Seriously i sing this kinda stuff out loud as i walk down the street all the time....or while taking a shower...or while taking a shower on the street

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Musicals are awesome when done well.

Absolutely. They're wonderful representations of the music and dancing of their respective eras. And they really could dance back in the day!

The musical also brought us two of Hollywood's greatest dancers: Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire. And let's not forget about one of the best singers to come out of Hollywood: Judy Garland.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
One to thing to look out for in Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire musicals are the specialty numbers that showcase...

dancing on roller skates

dancing with firecrackers

tap dancing and drumming at the same time

dancing with trash cans

Eleanor Powell did things like dancing with lassoes ...

tap dancing with a dog

etc. It was all exceptionally clever stuff.

Laptop1991

I liked the old ones from the 60's and 70's and the Disney films from those times, but not a fan of the modern musicals, they lack the quality and atmosphere and ambience of Oliver and Half a Sixpence, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Mary Poppins, Bedknobs and Broomsticks etc, maybe because it's my youth but i don't like them now.

Majormaxxx

As a kid I hated musicals, Disney animated singing and poems of all kinds, especially poems made for kids. As an adult I appreciate poems, appreciate children's literature, and also appreciate the singing in musicals.

Most still look goofy but I still appreciate the artistry.

That said, I really like some - Miss Saigon, Grease, Hair, the French musical movies of Jacques Demy - check out The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. It is a rollerocaster.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
There was a time, when musicals were the top grossing movies. So there was a market for it.
My guess is that people's taste in music got so varied, it's a lot more difficult to make a musical that has broad public appeal.

Personally, I never enjoyed the genre and would avoid it for the most part.
If someone invited me to go watch something like La La Land in the cinema, I would bend over backwards to get out of it.

There are some musics that are good, but they are the exception.

So say Good Morning!

JCK75

All I can say is.. the moment someone bursts out singing in a movie.. I'm usually out at that point.
The exception would be movies about musicians.. School of Rock and Lords of Metal are movies I quite enjoy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom