• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Pubg and Fortnite ruining the game scene?

Jingo

I know, its a strong title, but i cant really think otherwise.

These games can put even non gamers playing.

I had friends of mine that Hadnt turned on their consoles for months and now are spending money like crazy on those, and playing those games for days!!

This gives the developers the wrong idea of us gamers, since they are appealing mostly to casuals who want a no brain funny game to play with their friends, but worse, applying tons of microtransations to these games only incentivates other companies to do the same.to their games.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Phone games ruined traditional gaming years ago, and the culmination of that is this huge focus on microtransactions we see now. But 2017 was the best year of regular games in a very long time. So I dunno. Also PUBG is fun as hell.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
People can play whatever they want. You realize that video games are a business first and the goal is to make money. It's up to the users to not purchase micro transactions.

Battlechili

Banned
Video games can appeal to a wide range of people
Its okay if people are playing a game that you perceive as casual.

Also Fortnite is fun and the Battle Royale aspect of it is free to play. The fact that it has an in-game cash shop to buy cosmetics imo is forgivable due to this. The cosmetics don't affect gameplay. As for microtransactions in general, the best thing you can do is to not pay for them as your method of fighting them. Trust me when I say that the majority of games aren't going to become battle royales. You don't have anything to worry about.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

Those two games aren't going to make other games disappear. There are many players on a lot of other games for you to be a part of.

Crew 511A

A little sensationalistic there, OP. I don't care for the way the industry is going right now, but this ball's been rolling for a long time.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Complete nonsense.

Your statement is unproven by the simple fact that if gamers are enjoying a game and think they are getting value from it.

Last edited:

Podge293

The fact it's bringing non gamers back is surely a sign that it's doing great things for the scene.

Hardcores won't keep the industry alive. Casuals will

Graven

Even if heavy microtransaction games of a multitude of genres keep gaining strenght, there will always be a place for the more tradicional approach as well, there is nothing to worry about.

TheFarter

Banned

I had friends of mine that Hadnt turned on their consoles for months and now are spending money like crazy on those, and playing those games for days!!

This gives the developers the wrong idea of us gamers, since they are appealing mostly to casuals who want a no brain funny game to play with their friends, but worse, applying tons of microtransations to these games only incentivates other companies to do the same.to their games.
Must be a Fortnite player... dude isn't spending money on PUBG after initial purchase.

Lilseb93

I don't see how. I can simply ignore them. There's plenty of games that appeal to me. Appealing to a more casual crowd is not something I'd worry about. It's micro transactions, loot boxes, and other shady things that companies pull that bother me. A game being popular isn't a bad thing. Now if there wasn't enough single player story games compared to all the big multi player games then that's different, but there is. 2017 alone was a great year for single player games. 2018 is looking good too.

Last edited:

Feeroper

PUBG and Battle Royale style gaming is fun. However I do see OP's point though - the level of success these 2 are having will cause other companies to adjust what they are doing. It could end up being a glut of Battle Royale style games that eventually fizzle out though.

It could be worse though, since PUBG is a ton of fun at least. If it wasn't this it would be something else.

Gamegeneral

They're the new thing. Companies are gonna copy them, and put their own spins on it. They aren't "Ruining" it, they're creating a trend. It happened with call of duty clones, and dotas, and etc.

loki 16

I don’t think so. It’s just a new type of game that is exploding right now. Just like movas and mobile games. Games for the hardcore will be fine. If you want something that maight actually change things look at the GaaS genre. Every big publisher seems to be going that way.

I think battle royale is a fun mode but I personally wouldn't want to play a game like it all the time, I remember playing Counterstrike as a kid and I hated the downtime between rounds. These games are that, but the death means you're out out? Nah thanks. But if other people like it, sure.

It's a bit like saying sports games ruin gaming. It's just a niche.

Majukun

i'd say ea,ubisoft,activision and konami didn't need the existence oif pubg to try their hand at microtransactions..it's free money for them

it's up to the consumers to actually man up and stop buying those products before it's too late.

WaterAstro

X One X player here.. never noticed the choice... not sure why you'd pay lot's of money for cosmetic stuff that doesn't matter.
Uh, didn't Microsoft and PUBG just rewarded their Xbox players with 30 thousand FREE points? meaning they aren't usually free.

People pay $1000 for their CS Go knife to be golden. They're called whales.

ReBurn

Gold Member
If these weren't the games people want then nobody would be playing them. It's about as far from ruining something as you can get.

Uh, didn't Microsoft and PUBG just rewarded their Xbox players with 30 thousand FREE points? meaning they aren't usually free.

People pay $1000 for their CS Go knife to be golden. They're called whales.

They are also called morons.

Last edited:

Artistic

Do wonder what game has generated more money between Fortnite and PUBG on the XB1.

Even if other staple FPS or shooters incorporate a Battle Royale mode, not sure how'll it'll compare to those two.

prag16

Banned
Nah, garbage mobile "gaming" is your scapegoat if you need one.

And eh, Fortnite BR is meh... dimestore PUBG. PUBG is damn good.

I hope those PUBG devs invest in some talented programmers.
The game looks and runs terribly.

I feel like the game style deserves better tech.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Also I dont think gamers can be pigeonholed into just "hardcore" and "casual".
There are gamers who only play cod and fifa and could beat hardcore gamers very easily at those games, and they play those games many hours a week.
So I think the casual gamer does not exist, people who game still go pretty hardcore but they just dont brows gaming forums and arnt having heart palpitations if there preferred gaming console has less "p's"

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I thought DayZ and the numerous zombie games like PUBG were going to be around longer than they were. MOBA's are still going strong, but you don't always hear about them. Indie games, just the name, isn't always heard everywhere you go. It's considered a "smaller studio". All those things were at one point in time the "flavor of the week" or the "topic of the week".

I have nothing against PUBG, but it's not something that I would play instead of a single player game.

There's all sorts of facets that don't appeal to the "hardcore gamer" because the industry is massive. Costs of games go up, so we see DLC and micro transactions everywhere. People don't want to pay full price for a mobile game, but they're all for paying .99 to whatever for ingame items. It makes sense some days and others it's like we entered the Twilight Zone.

We could have PUBG be big now, but give it another 5 or so years and God only knows what people will jump in to play. Games are also notorious for being popular for a certain period of time and then the industry recycles their audience. All this talk about "new gamers" this gen has been rediciulous if you ask me. Did everyone they were trying to appeal to retire? Did they somehow see a new market this gen versus the last? I could assume it's because they're seeing revenue from other outlets or that they always did that. But is there any real way to predict what's going to happen? IMO gaming could be 80% shovelware and it could all collapse on itself in 5+ years. All the talent is wasted on games that nobody wants or hates.

I doubt that's gonna happen, but who really knows. The players of PUBG might have to quit because they grew up or for some other random reason. PUBG might not have their "for life" gamers who want to spend $60-$100 for a game later on in life.

Is your grandma still playing a Wii? :/

Last edited:

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
No. Don't be so alarmist. There are plenty of people gravitating towards those games, but we're in a time where we've gotten Cuphead, Nier Automata, Breath of the Wild, Original Sin 2, as well as a lot of really promising stuff in the pipeline. Not only are these games good, they've found respectable-sized audiences. Let people enjoy PUBG and Fortnite. There will always be developers that chase the latest fad (and often fail). Meanwhile, there will still be studios making great games like those mentioned above.

bobbyphunk

Neo Member
nice to see pubg on xbox. gives me a chance to play a game that grabs me and whatever i end up ranking i can play over and over again without losing interest and yes it takes away from the grind of other games

bluntfeather

Neophyte
Feels like I'm in one of those youtube threads where someone says something so obviously wrong and of course never returns to support or acknowledge their wrongness.

Also the microtransactions are an entirely excusable joke in pubg, garbage cosmetic items such as skirts that go for hundreds of dollars to some idiot. In fortnite at least when I played the battle royale there were no MT's

Every human being is a potential gamer. Personally, I prefer BR games over single-player walking simulators that supposedly have amazing stories that belong to comic books and not video games.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
I consider myself a hardcore gamer, and most of my game time is currently spent on PUBG. Nothing wrong with the game, it's tons of fun, microtransactions lend themselves well for this type of game (see Fortnite) and it's highly competitive.

I'd like to ask the OP, what would you consider to be a hardcore gamer's game? What defines a game for the hardcore and one for the casuals?

VertigoOA

Banned
The faux outrage over cosmetic lootboxes and microstransactions is outrageous. They're non issues and don't have any legitimate impact of gameplay.

sinnergy

Uh okay, so OP, your friend can't be a gamer? Seems that the game is fun, and the microtransactions don't matter ... it's about fun..

MistBreeze

Im not worried I feel this gen is far better than ps360 gen, there are plenty of genres revived, japanese gaming scene is great on consoles, capcom is going strong with re7 and monster Hunter , even persona is fuuly recognized and liked, fighting games going back to scene with tekken 7 with high sales

We hope BR games get people back to consoles then they will get into many genres of gaming

Jingo

Uh okay, so OP, your friend can't be a gamer? Seems that the game is fun, and the microtransactions don't matter ... it's about fun..
Of course he can be a gamer, i was just refering the fact that pubg and fortnite made some of my friends come back to gaming after had the consoles disconected for months.

Many of them dont give two shits about gaminf, even found them a waste of time but there they re, usually non gamers giving the wronf idea to developers, that was my point, i have nothing against more people playing, is better, just gives more power to these battle royals easy grab money games.

Alx

casuals who want a no brain funny game to play with their friends

I'm not even into BR, but I'm all for "no brain funny games to play with one's friends", I think it's the heart of gaming even. If you need brainy stuff to make a game enjoyable then it's not a very good game to begin with.

CeeJay

I've been playing PUBG on Xbox for a while and didn't even realise I could buy BP with real money, the game certainly doesn't heavily push people to buy them and the model doesn't incentivise people to buy them with real money rather than just earning in normal gameplay. Fortnite on the other hand does, I agree with that.

WaterAstro

I've been playing PUBG on Xbox for a while and didn't even realise I could buy BP with real money, the game certainly doesn't heavily push people to buy them and the model doesn't incentivise people to buy them with real money rather than just earning in normal gameplay. Fortnite on the other hand does, I agree with that.
Uh, Fortnite mtx is literally the same as PUBG. All cosmetics.

Top Bottom