• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

are there any PVP multiplayer turn based games out there?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Turn based RPGS are usually PVE since a lot of them are singleplayer but i wonder how they'd play if you were fighting against another player, where its less about reflexes and more about thinking and strategy. I think that'd be quite entertaining

are there any games like that?

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Not really what you are looking at but Magic the gatering is a pvp multiplayer turn based game. Just not a 3d game but a card game.
Many of those exist, have enthusiast communities and are fun to learn and play.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Heroes of Might & Magic, Age of Wonders and Civilization come to mind.

If you want RPG mechanics the first two still apply.

Doom85

I play Langrisser Mobile and it’s a turn based strategy RPG, and there is an arena mode where you can fight others, either against their preset team controlled by AI, or at certain times during the week against the actual opponent live.

I think the Disgaea games also had an online vs. option, but I might be wrong. Personally RPGs aren’t a genre I’m interested in fighting other actual people in.

Also, Pokémon games, but that should be obvious.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Not really what you are looking at but Magic the gatering is a pvp multiplayer turn based game. Just not a 3d game but a card game.
Many of those exist, have enthusiast communities and are fun to learn and play.
oh snap i completely forgot about card games.
they have a PC version (& its free) too. Thanks for the recommendation!
I think the Disgaea games also had an online vs. option, but I might be wrong.
thats a big one, the idea of strategy PVP in a game like disgaea sounds awesome

Esca

Civilization is quite fun. I don't know if they still do but I remember they had a mode where where you didn't need to be online the entire time and can do you turn when you can.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
this is a bit of a weird one but in my search for multiplayer pvp turn based games i found this little gem

it's a turn based game, but also a fighting game? sort of? You got these 2 little stickmen (you can choose from 4 different classes), and you're placed in a 1v1 scenario where you can select from a large assortment of moves. however the game is paused until you select your move and then submit. then the enemy makes their move. if both of you have submitted, the move both of you guys selected will play out for a couple frames and then you do it all over again. so in a sense, it's a turn based adaptation of fighting games. when you're done, you can watch a replay of all the moves you made happening in real time, and it's really intense and cool to witness

i feel like you should watch the steam trailer to get a good look at what i'm talking about

Last edited:

Sentenza

Both XCOM 1 and 2 have fairly entertaining PVP modes.
Neither of the two really ever took off, though, and the second in particular was crippled by an unfortunate decision from the designers: it forced people to disable all mods before launching the game to find games online.
A far better solution could have been to simply make the PVP mode *IMPERMEABLE* to mods (as "nom atter how many mods you install, they won't affect the PVP part of the game") and let people use them while queuing for an online game.

Doom85

Armello was a decent game, Takes a bit of learning.

Oh shit, I forgot about that one. I subbed to this Indie Game crate for a few months years ago (you got an indie game and a few related goodies each month) and that was one of them, it was fairly good. Also got from the subscription Nuclear Throne (pretty good, though I preferred Enter the Gungeon which I played around the same time) and Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime (still need to play this one).

Top Bottom