• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are things really that bad for North Koreans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
Not trying to start something,
Sampling bias.
but looking at metrics such as (admittedly outdated) HDI numbers and life expectancy rates,
Sampling bias.
it doesn't seem like North Korea is that bad compared to many of the world's developing countries.
Sampling bias.
Obviously South Korea is more advanced,
Sampling bias.
but North Korea's HDI in the last reported figures (1995... so yeah) was .766, which in 2013's ranking would put it at 66th in the world, above the likes of Brazil and Turkey.
Sampling bias.
In terms of life expectancy as of 2011 it's 123rd of 198 at 69 years from birth, which again although not great isn't too shabby.
Sampling bias.

I guess we have to question the validity and reliability of the metrics and the data pretty strongly in this case. That said, the media seems to perpetuate the idea that North Korea is practically hell on earth,
Sampling bias.
but is that really true? (well I guess if you get sent to one of the camps it is, but anyway...)

Sampl--actually this is correct.

Iph

Banned
I'm going to say yes. It's probably worse than most people living in First World countries can imagine. Plus the propaganda/personality cult adds a whole new level of disregard for human life in order to forward the Kim Jong "dynasty". They're living off of the slavery, starvation and abuse of a huge chunk of the population in work camps.

I imagine things could be a lot better, given how much of the population is either starving to death, or having to rely on highly-illegal smuggling rings for basic amenities.

hym

Banned
Yes it does.

The eagerness to believe our enemies are inhuman monsters is great, this has been going on for over half a century, and all we have as evidence are a handful of photographs of skinny kids of the early 90s at a height of a sanction conflict.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
1324311814900.jpg.CROP.rectangle3-large.jpg

All that needs to be said.

Meier

Pyongyang has a nicer public pool than my town.

bNzu9bg.jpg

I don't believe for a second that that's a "public pool." If I had to guess, those people are paid to be in that photo or they are family members of military officials. They will do anything and everything to make the country look more bearable to live in.

Enco

The eagerness to believe our enemies are inhuman monsters is great, this has been going on for over half a century, and all we have as evidence are a handful of photographs of skinny kids of the early 90s at a height of a sanction conflict.
Please...

In his account Mr. Shin claimed to have been a helpless innocent witness to the execution of his mother and brother when Mr. Shin was only 14. He had indeed been helpless, and he had the torture marks to prove it.

“Children in the camps scavenged constantly for food, eating rats, insects and undigested kernels of corn they found in cow dung.”
A few tame quotes from the link I posted.

Fuck sampling bias.

This is true. There are concentration camps and it CAN'T be denied. Do you feel that concentration camps are no big issue or are you denying their existence?

Kinyou

When the DPRK finally crumbles and the U.S. and ROK fully unearth all of the atrocities committed by the Kims, we are going to hate ourselves.
Aren't there also accusations that the west knew about the KZs? I think the harsh truth is simply that atrocities like this aren't considered to be 'worth' a war

Talon

Did I hit a raw nerve?
Meh. It's a country that spent 2000 years as a colony or at least a vassal of China and then spent 1905-1945 under Japanese rule, with stolen or destroyed historical records and artifacts, forced Japanese assimilation for the final 15 years, and cultural suppression. Then the country was split into half, when the historical seat of power has been in the North.

Maybe that's why we look so generic to you?

Just because one North Korean concentration camp has children eating rats doesn't mean all North Korean concentration camps have children eating rats.

Jeez, guys...

Aren't there also accusations that the west knew about the KZs? I think the harsh truth is simply that atrocities like this aren't considered to be 'worth' a war

And they shouldn't be.

This isn't Lybia. North Korea is a high-stake game, you risk creating a greater human tragedy than the one you want to prevent.

Hermii

Yea its pretty fucking bad. Libya during Quadaffi was a paradise in comparrison. Iran is much better. It cant be overstated how bad it is.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Meh. It's a country that spent 2000 years as a colony or at least a vassal of China and then spent 1905-1945 under Japanese rule, with stolen or destroyed historical records and artifacts, forced Japanese assimilation for the final 15 years, and cultural suppression. Then the country was split into half, when the historical seat of power has been in the North.

And when Japan had our Empress whacked in 1895.

I think I did.

All that because I made a comment about how your government chooses to portray your country to foreigners.

Talon

Well, she probably would've been whacked by someone inside the way history goes in that country.

"Marginally competent ruler for more than 5 years? It's time for a coup!"
I think I did.

All that because I made a comment about how your government chooses to portray your country to foreigners.
"Generic soulless country"

It's a good thing ChiTown and I are friendly model minorities.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I wonder if they have to watch out of market baseball games on the Extra Innings package in crappy SD on Comcast even though we pay the same amount for the package as DirecTV customers getting all games in HD. I do.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

A Korean girl was telling me how stupid it was that Canada still had a queen, when Korea had a president.

I told her that's because Japan killed your queen. It went over well.

hym

Banned
Honest question, is there anyone that would prefer to have been born to a random family in Liberia (or another African country with constant civil wars and poverty) instead of North Korea?

Porcile

This is Greece at night

At it's one of the most mountainous countries.

Yep. But North Korea's expansion, following the Korean War was mainly based on the industrialisation of it's own resources - of which it does not have much of.

Living long doesn't reflect the quality of life.

Though life expectancy actually went down after agriculture became the main souse of food for humans, until very recently in our history. If their main source of food is from agricultural sources, they must be eating more than we believe in order to live until 60+.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I don't think a generic soulless country could design stylish Samsung displays or the awesome Hyundai Genesis coupe.

Ironically, North Korea fits that stereotype far better.

Considering that Korea hasn't drowned at some point between China and Japan, their existence is a miracle. Culturally, I'd say they are faring better at keeping their identity better than the English for instance (the Scottish "brand" seems more pervasive than anything uniquely English).

Hermii

I sometimes see advertizing From the South Korean Tourism Bureau on TV, but South Korea looks like such a generic, soulless Asian country.

Have you ever been to an asian country ? I been to a few and none of them are generic and soulless, whatever that means.

Some pics of South Korea:

images

Seoul-Landscape-South-Korea.jpg

Porcile

I don't think a generic soulless country could design stylish Samsung displays or the awesome Hyundai Genesis coupe.

Ironically, North Korea fits that stereotype far better.

Considering that Korea hasn't drowned at some point between China and Japan, their existence is a miracle. Culturally, I'd say they are faring better at keeping their identity better than the English for instance (the Scottish "brand" seems more pervasive than anything uniquely English).

I don't think this is true at all. Most traditional Korean culture in the North has been almost entirely suppressed.

I lived in S.korea for 4 years and it was anything but soulless...unless you count Seoul! huh huh?! (there is a slight pronouncination difference between soul and Seoul, but I digress).

/shrug

Hermii

Though life expectancy actually went down after agriculture became the main souse of food for humans, until very recently in our history. If their main source of food is from agricultural sources, they must be eating more than we believe in order to live until 60+.

I dont think there is any real way of getting reliable statistics out of Nort Korea, so I dont really trust these statistics.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I don't think this true at all. Most traditional Korean culture in the North has almost entirely suppressed.

I guess I should have clarified that I was speaking exclusively about South Korea, North Korea is obviously soulless and sterile.

I dont think there is any real way of getting reliable statistics out of Nort Korea, so I dont really trust these statistics.

Oh I don't either. But if the statistics were true, such a high number would suggest that famine isn't a big problem. I figured other people would cover the whole "those stats are likely fake" thing, and I was right :p

hym

Banned
SMH at so much in this thread.

Chitown and Talon are basically saying everything that I want to say.

I can't watch the video since I'm at work right now, but the best Westerners can witness of NK is the Truman-Show-esque choreographed ride of exactly what they want you to see. No Westerner has actually ever seen North Korea.

Isn't it disingenuous to assume you therefor know what's behind the scenes?

All I can tell from this is and other documentaries is that the Regime in North Korea cares an unhealthy amount about keeping up appearances, that's a remnant of Soviet control perhaps. But unless I can actually see behind the curtain my speculations are as good as his.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom