• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are videogames too long and too big now ?

Pachinko

Video games have been around for a long ass time now and many of us here on GAF have probably been around through much of their existence but these days there is one aspect of game design that is really starting to creep into the forefront of importance and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

What I speak of is nothing less then over all game length. I'm not talking about replay value either, that's a different facet. This is something that used to get constantly scrutinized , especially during the early PS2 era. (2000/2001 for those just old enough to use the internet)

Personally, I'm finding that games these days are largely over designed and topped up with mandatory filler - that is widget hunts throughout vast in game territory that are required to progress through a games story. In other cases this content is largely optional but it feels like there is far more of it there than their needs to be.

For those among us that are a little older - what was a more memorable experience in hindsight - finishing something like Parasite Eve, Metal Gear Solid or even a play through of Chrono Trigger OR spending 60-80 hours trudging through an Elder scrolls game or finding 400 trinkets in the newest Assassins creed ?

It seems the days of a well produced 8-10 hour experience or even a 20 hour RPG are pretty well dead now and I really don't know how I feel about that. Well, other than old.

I bring this up in light of many recent titles out there that fall victim to the what I'll dub "open world creep" , that is - in order to make a player think they're getting 60$ worth of game they make damn sure that even menial tasks take way longer than need be for minimal gain and they make sure there are hundreds of said tasks to accomplish. In the end you have a 60 hour + experience that feels hollow. It's not so much that this is always the case mind you but it seems to be the norm on an ever increasing level annually.

I mostly made this thread after seeing Dark_castle's Xeno blade thread , he just got burnt out after playing the game for too long and I feel that's a valid issue. Even a fun game gets boring eventually if there isn't enough variety and at a certain point you want to see a narrative end. If there exists a second reason for this threads existence - it's Metal Gear Solid 5's fault. I LOVED the first MGS on playstation and the more I think about it the more I feel like it's not only one of the best games of all time but it's head and tails the best entry in it's series too. It represented the finest action stealth game possible within the limits of what the PSone was capable of. Every sequel has in some way felt more and more over designed - too much nonsense story, too many characters , levels are too big , the simple act of wandering through a jungle becomes too complicated , etc etc. The fifth one actually really does nail the core game play better than any entry outside of the first BUT there is absolutely zero reason for Afghanistan to be so damn big or that it lacks a more intuitive fast travel system or that some missions involve getting past 4 or 5 checkpoints just to get to the actual town or barracks the mission itself is set in. The MGS portion of the game is at odds with the attempt at making it an open world experience. Will I get my "money's worth" , I suppose but I'm in my 30's. I'd rather get more value out of the time invested.

There's a nice equal medium with hours of play versus number of unique experiences found within and I think we've passed a threshold with too many games into the bad side of this. Or maybe I'm just a jaded old man ? I don't know , what does NEOGAF think ?

OnPoint

I remember saying a game could last 5-10 hours and I'd be fine with it 10 years ago.

Now I'm ok i they last 2-5 hours. I just don't have the time I used to, but filler in games today actually makes me kind of mad. Please don't waste the limited amount of time I do have to play.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
There needs to be a better balance of quality content. I'm fine with spending a lot of time with a game if there's a lot worthwhile in it but content bloat has hit the industry hard.

Even though there have been some great ones lately and some great looking ones on the horizon, I'm looking forward to the end of open world being used as a way of making a game "next gen".

FluxWaveZ

Made a thread about this a few months back. A lot of people did think that several games these days are bloated with meaningless content, artificially extending their length.

Of course, I prefer shorter games with good pacing and which are consistently good to long games with a lot of padding. I do like longer games if they still manage to have good pacing, though.

gugeifer

Jeez, decide already.

Previous gen it was all "10 hours is too short, not a game", now it's omg overdesign and stuff.

Games are a stuff of great difference for all the tastes out there.

With some exceptions of special games near to my heart (FFXV, MGSV, Mass Effect, and other ocassional J/WRPGs) I dislike long ass games. I'm loving MGSV but I'm 100 hours in and with still a few more missions to the end and I could double that time if I wanted a 100%. And as great as that game is it does have a lot of bloat and needless filler that could've shorten it a lot (repetitious errands in Chapter 2 I'm looking at you). And people complained that other MGS games had story filler.

15 hour games are my sweet spot but if a game is excellent I won't mind for it o extend to 20-25 hours (like TLoU).

I don't have the time or will to sink another 100 hours to Witcher 3 (another game im interested in) after MGSV.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Good thing there are plenty of games to chose from and I am not forced to play these games that are too long and drawn out. Hell, I can decide if I don't want to play them even while playing them.

It is all about knowing what you are getting into.

antitrop

I'm okay with long games, if the pacing and variety of content and environmental design can sustain it.

I can play Dark Souls for 60 hours and not really get bored, because the encounter and level design is so ridiculously varied that it keeps itself from being repetitive.

By the end of Chapter 1 of Metal Gear Solid V (50 hours), I was pretty sick of the two relatively small and sparse environments the game had to offer, as well as the repetitive Side-Ops. Then I got to Chapter 2, lol.

Bloated open-world collectathons like Mad Max and anything Ubisoftish are the worst about it, really. Those are the ones that have me nostalgic for the overabundance of tight, scripted and more evenly paced games we had last generation. I really like my 10 hour third-person cover shooters. =/

KevinCow

Banned
I think they're too big in the sense that publisher spend waaaaaayyyyyy too much money on things that 90% of the audience is never going to see, and then they have to sell like 8 million copies to make their money back.

But too long? Nah. There are still plenty of games of all lengths out there, short and long.

Anno

Eh I don't think so. There are more games than any reasonable person can play across all sorts of lengths. This year in particular has had a lot of longer games receiver a lot of marketing but I don't think that's reflective of the industry overall.

Illucio

Banned
Yes and no.

My problem is that games are long filled with cheap content just so they can boast it's a big/long game. Because a lot of people think that longer games = Better games which is blasphemy.

I want long/big worlds filled with quality content. But that's asking to much I suppose.

Big? No. Long? No.

Bloated? Sure.

Too much narrative tripe and repetitive filler to pad things out. Apparently those are what publishers see as "value". Personally, I consider it a minor miracle when gameplay is unfettered by constant "cinematic" interruptions, quick time events, or endless content recycling to stretch out the experience.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well, I saw people a couple years ago complaining exactly the opposite. It is like that Miyamoto meme complaining about fans not getting happy with anything on zelda anymore-

I'm okay with long games, if the pacing and variety of content and environmental design can sustain it.

I can play Dark Souls for 60 hours and not really get bored, because the encounter and level design is so ridiculously varied that it keeps itself from being repetitive.

By the end of Chapter 1 of Metal Gear Solid V (50 hours), I was pretty sick of the two relatively small and sparse environments the game had to offer, as well as the repetitive Side-Ops. Then I got to Chapter 2, lol.

Bloated open-world collectathons like Mad Max and anything Ubisoftish are the worst about it, really. Those are the ones that have me nostalgic for the overabundance of tight, scripted and more evenly paced games we had last generation. I really like my 10 hour third-person cover shooters. =/
There with ya.

I assume you must've fucking loved The Last of Us as much as I did.

Skux

Jeez, decide already.

Previous gen it was all "10 hours is too short, not a game", now it's omg overdesign and stuff.

Games are a stuff of great difference for all the tastes out there.

This is pretty much it. If you are into certain kinds of games and game lengths, read some reviews and impressions and stick to games you'll enjoy and see value in at the price points they sell for. No one's forcing you to play through MGSV or Witcher 3.

It depends on the game. I'm thrilled that I'm 50 hours into MGSV and am only at 40% completion. On the other hand I love Life is Strange and have only put 10 hours into it.

redcrayon

It's something AAA stuff seems prone to at the moment, just as shooters were a trend last gen. Fortunately, just because such trends are visable, doesn't mean they take up a huge percentage of what's released when you take all types of games into account. There are hundreds of games released each year that aren't part of an AAA mega-franchise that needs to be all things to all people to turn a profit on it's bloated budget.

I am slightly concerned about Xenoblade X though. The 14-year-old me would have been like 'I'm gonna comb that whole planet inch by inch!', the 36-year-old me is more like 'I just want to get out of the tutorials in the hour I have to play this week'.

Too long? Which games, Im constantly seeing games end at around 10 to 12 hours, how is that too long. These can be finished in just three or four weeknights.

I love my long 80+ hour jrpgs and Bioware games.

dp
06437933-782b-4fb0-9a73-8fb6c50c3ee5_f_faec872c89.jpg

MrGummy

No, Just the older you get, the less time you have to play games.

I've had MGSV since release, and i'm only 4 hours in.

Everybody bitched about the 8-10 hour games not worth buying, unless they're on sale or as just a rental and everyone praised the GTA series. So here we are.

cyba89

You don't have to collect all the 400 trinkets in an Assassins Creed game to have a fulfilling single player experience, you know? Or any optional filler content in any game (that's why it's called optional).

And JRPGs were always long-ass games. Don't know why that's suddenly a modern Xenoblade-specific thing.

I remember saying a game could last 5-10 hours and I'd be fine with it 10 years ago.

Now I'm ok i they last 2-5 hours. I just don't have the time I used to, but filler in games today actually makes me kind of mad. Please don't waste the limited amount of time I do have to play.
Exactly why I loved the Order when I got it for 30 bucks. Took me about 8 hours and I loved every min. Too many games now are too fucking big so I just lose interest and never go back to them. Looking at you Arkham Knight with your stupid riddles. Also looking at you Dragon Age and Assassins Creed Unity. Too much unnecessary filler bs.

Mostly, yes. The widespread integration across genres of randomization via loot or CCG-like booster pack rewards and grinding to progress and fill out XP bars doesn't help curb this issue, either. The lack of variable pricing for standalone releases that encourages publishers and developers to bloat their games to appear valuable keeps this happening to a great degree. Add in the more directionless theme-park open world approaches many games have and it all ends up feeling like all bread and no meat and veggies.

KTO

I'm with you. For me the biggest problem feels like the creep of dailies from mobile games and MMOs into stuff like MGSV and Destiny.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Most are bloated to hell and quite boring. They have the same content as last gen's 8 hour campaign stretched out to 30 hours.

redcrayon

Everybody bitched about the 8-10 hour games not worth buying, unless they're on sale or as just a rental and everyone praised the GTA series. So here we are.
Also, publishers realised that last gen's tacked-on multiplayer was a jack-of-all-trades approach, so now we have single player games with huge amounts of filler content and online-multiplayer-only titles.

I really like my 10 hour third-person cover shooters. =/

61788038.jpg

If the mechanics are tight enough, my ideal is a 10-12 hour campaign, complemented by other single player content (challenge maps, etc). If the game is great (RE4, The Last of Us) I can tolerate the campaign stretching into the 15-hour or so range. Anything past that starts to overstay its welcome. That (well, among other reasons) is why I'm generally not drawn to RPGs.

CHC

There's just been a lot of this kinda thing lately, especially this year. I really do miss a good linear experience here and there but they still exist.

It's not even about open world really, it just about unlock-based gameplay. Things becoming always online and heavily based upon grinding the same minimal gameplay to get more stuff.

But then again things like Unharted 4, Halo 5, Bloodborne, etc all provide tight single player campaigns without tons of bloat, travel, or filler.

I think it's just a trend but it's starting to saturate the market. It's a reaction to "cinematic" that was so hot late last generation - this is now about "emergent" or "vast" or "massive." There will be a swing the other direction before you know it.

MGSV and BD:FF should've been half as long. I do like games providing plenty of content, just make it feel optional
I played Year Walk on the Wii U last week. The game was 5-6 bucks and about as long as your average movie but felt like a complete experience. MGS is about 80 hours long but feels incomplete.
A balance needs to be struck.
If your studio can't make a game that feels like a $60 experience without padding then you should probably not make games that cost that much

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Mostly agreed OP. Long games are only as good as the quality of their content. I enjoy every moment of the Soulsborne games (even better is their high replay value too) and they are quite long, but not 200 hours long filled with padding and bloat and boring grind.

The Ubisoft-style of open-world games is of zero interest me to me because not only is the core gameplay mediocre at best, there's just so much of it, heaps of quantity over quality. I'm not going to bother with MGS5 either, not unless it's practically free (because FucKonami and FucKojima too), it's a shame that MGS had to follow the Open-World (tm) trend when its gameplay is really not suited for it.

I spent about 15-20 hours on some Ys games, however, and they are so much fun and just the right length, no crappy filler to be found. I'd be perfectly fine with a perfectly paced, well-crafted, fun ~10 hour game over a repetitive and coma-inducing AAA 1000 hour game.

There needs to be a better balance of quality content. I'm fine with spending a lot of time with a game if there's a lot worthwhile in it but content bloat has hit the industry hard.

Even though there have been some great ones lately and some great looking ones on the horizon, I'm looking forward to the end of open world being used as a way of making a game "next gen".
I see what you did there :)

You don't have to collect all the 400 trinkets in an Assassins Creed game to have a fulfilling single player experience, you know? Or any optional filler content in any game (that's why it's called optional).
That's not a good defense. Optional content should still be fun. Something being optional doesn't excuse it from being crap.

Not to mention, when a vast majority of your game's content, optional or not, is of filler quality, well, you got yourself a truly shit game.

Tons of content in Bloodborne and Final Fantasy VI are optional, but they're still amazing. I want more Cainhurst Castle and less Deliver Stupid Letter to Grandma or Kill 10 Bafmodads.

And JRPGs were always long-ass games. Don't know why that's suddenly a modern Xenoblade-specific thing.
The longer old-school JRPGs were long, but well-paced and not full of filler like Xenoblade was. Thinking of 25-50 hours games like Breath of Fire III, Xenogears, Suikoden II, Final Fantasy VI, Shining Force II, FFTactics.... and there were also plenty of JRPGs that weren't that long (10-20 hours) and just perfectly paced like Phantasy Star IV, Suikoden 1, Chrono Trigger, and they also had tons of cool optional shit in it. Not 90% filler.

I don't think it's a case of games being too big. I think it's a case of games being too padded. You have have a game that's huge, but manages to stay entertaining throughout and doesn't outstay it's welcome. It's just hard to maintain that level of consistency, which is where a lot of developers seem to struggle.

And/reas

Neo Member
for me the sweet spot is between 15 and 30 hours.
30 hours for a Jrpg is ok, 15 Hours for and action adventure is ok.
Everything else is just too much or not enough.
If you are not able to tell a decent story in 15-30 hours then the game failed.
No amount of collectibles, side missions, challenges will keep me interested.
I play games for story and that's it.

Mathieran

Banned
I like some of the longer open world games and I also like shorter linear games. There are plenty of games to choose if both types. I think the important thing is to not overdo one or the other.

No way, I loved the length of Witcher 3, MGSV, Pillars of Eternity. I don't like things such as the timer/F2P bullshit in MGSV (unfortunately, since I liked the rest of the game) and those Ubisoft open world towers/feathers, but most of the games that I play are fine.

Plus, if you want shorter games there are a dozen (hundred?) indie games that might suit you.

gelf

Some games don't make all the filler entirely optional though, thats when its a problem. I never do the Assassins Creed style optional collection crap but I still find some games overly padded around the good bits I want to play. 2nd chapter of MGSV is certainly feeling this way now.

The thing is, a lot of the bloat is optional. Ubisoft-style nonsense collectathons aren't integral to the games they're in. They're just there as an additional thing you can spend your time with the game doing to stay longer in a game world you presumably enjoy. Sure, it'd be nice if these side activities were more fun and had some real thought put into their design, but flags or whatever are going to be low on priority list when allocating resources.

Have more than one game on the go at a time if you feel you have to do that stuff. Cleanse the palate from time to time. Or appreciate that you've conditioned yourself to feel you have to and take steps to unlearn or mitigate that behaviour.

Its becoming like a second job/work for me. I'm still having fun with games like MGSV and Witch er 3 but I prefer shorter more linear experiences. I've yet to finish either of the two I mention. Inquisition took me like 6 months.

MajorTom

Yes some games are definitely too long. Everything seems to be open world too now.
I actually really enjoyed The Order 1886 because it was fairly short and linear.
I don't want all games to be like 1886 but we definitely need more like it.

I don't really mind. I'll just play them until they're over. If they're good they're good, if they're not i just move onto other stuff before coming back to finish them.

Top Bottom