• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are we going to talk about Skyrim and Fallout 4 having more concurrent players on Steam than Starfield?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Starfield is the most generic trash, with shitty UI menus, terrible performance on console (that shit does not feel 30 at all). Its barren, those missings are struggle through menus, fly for few seconds, land, go somewhere for 5 minutes go back to ship take off, go through menus, land > mission ends.

Its truly game of our time.

Fallout 4 is amazing in my opinion and I played shit out of that. Starfield I couldn't bare 4 hours. And I payed for that FOMO early access. Still 900CZK in drain

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Wasn’t Fallout 4 Complete Edition just on sale for $10?

I mean, which would you choose?

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Fallout 4 even with all it's problems shits on Starfield. Imagine if we would have gotten a Fallout 5 in the southeast region so we can see the gator men. Instead we got "NASA Punk".

Hero_Select

13k doesnt seem as bad when you consider that a lot of people probably have this on Gamepass. All of my friends played it that way. But yeah, it's less and probably reflective of it's quality at least when compared to Skyrim.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
"modders will fix it!"

Ok but If no one is left to play and modders don't give a shit to make the mod then who wish fix the game Todd?
Unless modders discover a way to make exploration fun I have little interest in playing mods. Lack of interesting exploration/rewarding players for traveling off the beaten path is what did this game in for me. It removed the best aspect of Bethesda games.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Are we going to talk about people who start thread titles with "Are we going to talk about..."?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yes, so all those Steam players just migrated to Game Pass, right?
No they stopped playing as often or as much or just plain moved on. It happens to most games after the initial release and then you get spikes with sales etc.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
No they stopped playing as often or as much or just plain moved on. It happens to most games after the initial release and then you get spikes with sales etc.
Yeah, so after a mere 3 months, 96% of the player base on Steam moved whereas BG3 managed to retain 20% of a much larger group. A game of that caliber and length being played less than Skyrim and Fallout 4 on Steam is disastrous. It's not a 10-hour cinematic. Then there are the atrocious player reviews.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
On Xbox Far Cry 6 is now ahead of Starfield.
Make sense. FC6 just came out for GP.

No different than Powerwash Simulator being played more than Spiderman 2.

774orF2.jpg

Beechos

Starfield is an OK game. I think people were expecting too much from it and the xbox exclusivity didn't help. I'm glad to see the success of bg3 hopefully crpgs will get more mainstream commercial success since it looks like this is the game that put alot of new players on to crpgs. I guess the bad news though is ms owns most of the crpg devs out there.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
It’s currently the second most played single player game on Xbox. Over 3 months after it came out.

Just stop with these damn threads.
They literally can't. These Kats are so damn hurt. One can just whisper Starfield and they rage like apes carrying the Rage virus. It's mad and fascinating.

Thirty7ven

Banned

774orF2.jpg

But Spider-Man 2 isn’t on PS+, RDR2 isn’t on Gamepass, and truereophies is not fucking PSN data, it only has 3 million users.

But whatever man, let’s keep on making excuses till the end of days.

Skifi28

"modders will fix it!"

Mods.

Many, many mods.
You know things are bad when even popular Bethesda game modders quit because they don't care about the game.

Creator behind hugely popular Skyrim co-op mod gives up on the Starfield version of it because, drum roll please, 'this game is f***ing trash'

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
But Spider-Man 2 isn’t on PS+, RDR2 isn’t on Gamepass, and truereophies is not fucking PSN data, it only has 3 million users.

But whatever man, let’s keep on making excuses till the end of days.
Powerwash Simulator even outranked Spiderman 2 last week according to the chart.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Powerwash Simulator even outranked Spiderman 2 last week according to the chart.

A chart with 3 million users data.

What is your point? And is Spider-Man 2 on PS+? You can’t even make a right comparison with the bad data you picked.

Not so bright are you? Fuckin hell mate. Grab a spoon and leave the fork alone.

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: GHG

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
No one can deny that this game has been a disappointment. Similar to Halo Infinite, Forza, Sea of Thieves, Fallout 76, and Cyberpunk, it hasn't met expectations. But we live in a society where a disappointing game has a chance for redemption. Not easy, but not impossible.

In that list are 4 games that are excellent games, disappointing at launch or not. And keep in mind the general casual gamer isn't like people on this forum, they don't care if halo infinite or forza got a metascore of 7 or 9, they just know it was on gamepass and it was fun.

In that list are 4 games that are excellent games, disappointing at launch or not. And keep in mind the general casual gamer isn't like people on this forum, they don't care if halo infinite or forza got a metascore of 7 or 9, they just know it was on gamepass and it was fun.
the point is that games can evolve and improve over the years and even make a comeback like No Man's Sky. Or even exists and thrive in their little bubble like Scam Citizen, DayZ (back in the day) despite being perpetually unfinished.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
No one can deny that this game has been a disappointment. Similar to Halo Infinite, Forza, Sea of Thieves, Fallout 76, and Cyberpunk, it hasn't met expectations. But we live in a society where a disappointing game has a chance for redemption. Not easy, but not impossible.
My main qualm with this game is not how mediocre it turned out to be it's that they wasted 8 years on this which means it delayed the release of the next Elder Scrolls game by that much and that in turn delayed Fallout 5 even further so now I could be looking at a scenario where I would have to wait until 2035 or more for the next Fallout game to come out if nobody else besides Bethesda gets a chance to make one in the intervening years.

Last edited:

Fredrik

No official mod support yet is one reason.
And BG3 having 150k concurrent is another, I too am playing BG3 instead right now, will go back to Starfield again afterwards.

Laptop1991

Better games as posted, better mods, better atmosphere, better traversal and discovery, just better all round, but we should have newer entries by now of both in my opinion, Fallout 76 and Starfield are the cause of that and they are nowhere near as good

Dazraell

It's gonna get even worse next year

Fallout 4 and Skyrim are giving a lot of reasons for players to try them after years because of the high profile mods. There is also the upcoming Fallout show that may build some extra momentum for Fallout games alongside upcoming next-gen upgrade for Fallout 4. The PC version will also have Fallout London total conversion mod released soon and that one shapes up to be a whole game on its own which may give the game some additional positive buzz

Starfield will receive modding support next year so players will start fixing the game in a way they want, but community behind it won't be as big as for these two franchises as game wasn't that good as they were hoping. It's not impossible to turn this around for them, but it's not gonna be an easy challenge

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Bruh....WHAT FAILURE?? What EXACTLY didnt they deliver? TF are you talking about? Lol. The game is a success on every metric including financial. Guaranteed franchise now. 13 million players and climbing (it was 12 million last month) That number will grow after the next update

Like, what failure??

After you hyped up Starfield and called people nuts for saying Zelda, Spider-Man 2, and Hogwarts would sell more than Starfield. You just lowered the bar on Starfield's success after calling it a generation-defining game.

Fredrik

Starfield will receive modding support next year so players will start fixing the game in a way they want, but community behind it won't be as big as for these two franchises as game wasn't that good as they were hoping. It's not impossible to turn this around for them, but it's not gonna be an easy challenge
Yeah one of the biggest problems right now is no official modding tools, everything is like a hack now, lots of limitations. They talked so much about how the modding capabilities would turn it to a heaven for modders. It should’ve been there at the early access release. It’s always more of a struggle to get people back compared to keep people from leaving.

Last edited:

Dr.brain64

I may replay fallout 3 and nv for the millionth time. They are such amazing games. I may replay oblivion and skyrim too.

Never touching starfield though.

Dazraell

I may replay fallout 3 and nv for the millionth time. They are such amazing games. I may replay oblivion and skyrim too.

Never touching starfield though.
I bought a Steam Deck a few months ago and I'm actually really excited about playing older Bethesda games on it. I still have dozens of smaller games to finish before it though, but I do plan Oblivion as the first

When I think about Starfield, it's just "nah, maybe in several years lol". I've seen this game at friend's place, we played it for several hours and what I've seen is enough for me for a long while

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
What might be a more interesting metric is how much people that don’t like Starfield, the amount of time they spend thinking about Starfield.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Because Bethesda needs to acknowledge that their game is fucking whack and that they're stuck in the mid 2000s. They can't go on to make the next TES with that mindset or it'll be another trainwreck. They got their heads so far up their asses that they think it's the players who are wrong.

They stubbornly cling onto that Frankenstein engine and their outdated game design philosophies and now look at the result.
100% Agreement here, though Starfield probably would have had me hooked if it had exploration like F04 or Skyrim until I hate rushed to finish it. The lack of good exploration really highlighted how shitty their games are outside of creating some desire of what is over the next hill. What's worse with Starfield is that they doubled down on the MMO grindy side of things like how FO76 was. It sucks. I don't want a game to make it clear to me that I need to grind for 100 hours or play multiple times to get most of the interesting level ups. I just want to play for 40 hours or so and move on to a different experience. Todd Howard sees a tiny fraction of players who keep playing Skyrim for years, and thinks that designing to those obsessive people ( because his ego only sees these people and their obsession with his game ) is good.

I hope that seeing 2 games get shitty receptions from fans will have MS step in and give someone else at least voting rights on the design of TESVI

Dazraell

Skyrim, I can understand. But Fallout 4?

It may be surprising cause the base game was very meh, but Fallout 4 has a huge modding community. When you take a look at mods that were released, F4 has a lot of high quality stuff relased by fans. Some mods are pretty much proper expansions in terms of scope. Things like America Rising adding a new faction storyline with Enclave, The Bleachers series expanding Diamond City, SimSettlements which expanded building features and added proper story attached to it. There is also a whole remake of Point Lookout, F3, FNV and even Fallout 76 map being remade on this engine and upcoming London mod which scopewise looks like a standalone game

Last edited:

jm89

Except it is different.

The only way to play spiderman 2 is too pay for it, whilst powerwash simulator is on the lowest tier of ps plus.

So it's not geting that worthless engagement metrics like starfield has.

Reactions: GHG

GHG

It was just added to game pass.

Starfield has been on gamepass since the day of its launch and was supposed to be the game of the forever that would be played by everyone for generations.

It's player count has catered on Steam, the Steam reviews continue to crater and FC6 is being played more than it on Xbox.

That's some fall from grace.

killatopak

I am playing Skyrim right now with FO4 on the side.

My motivations is the survival mode. I also slapped a survival mode mod that differs from the official one. It contains stuff that you can customize and synergizes with other mods. Vanilla survival mode is very restrictive in terms of cold parameters and I was able to tinker other stuff for the new one I am using.

FO4 survival mode is perfect for me. Much better than Skyrim's imo. Especially their damage balancing. Skyrim is just too damage spongy.

I'll dive into Starfield once a survival mode update releases that makes your inventory actually useful and not just a place to stuff clutter.

Belthazar

No? Just that Skyrim and Fallout 4 are still massively popular due to mods. You can't honestly believe they would have nearly as much players today if the mod scene didn't exist.

The thing is... The mod scene for those games exists because both were already popular and had staying power. It's delusional to expect the modding community for Starfield to be anywhere close of Skyrim's and Fallout 4's.

Anyone expecting the game to be revived due to mods is in for a rude awakening when the mods simply don't come.

Top Bottom