• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you a based Linux gamer?

Are you a based Linux gamer?

• Yes, Debian-based

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Yes, RPM-based

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Yes, Arch-based

• Yes, Slackware

• Yes, other

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • No, because I'm extremely cringe

Votes: 13 56.5%

• Total voters

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Linux sucks donkey balls.

Prove me wrong.

Linux offers all the bells and whistles of Microsoft Windows or MacOS without the bloat. It is extremely customizable to the point of emulating whatever flavor/version of Windows/MacOS you want visually, you can actively use the search without it loading up microsoft edge and bing, and nearly any game is playable thanks to Valve's efforts and Wine support.

I have mine customized to look just like the Windows 95 Desktop environment, down to the smallest detail in glorious 4K. My biggest worry was game support, but thankfully I can play every single game I own with better performance than when the PC was running Windows.

Kar

Linux offers all the bells and whistles of Microsoft Windows or MacOS without the bloat. It is extremely customizable to the point of emulating whatever flavor/version of Windows/MacOS you want visually, you can actively use the search without it loading up microsoft edge and bing, and nearly any game is playable thanks to Valve's efforts and Wine support.

I have mine customized to look just like the Windows 95 Desktop environment, down to the smallest detail in glorious 4K. My biggest worry was game support, but thankfully I can play every single game I own with better performance than when the PC was running Windows.
Try to play valorant.

Zathalus

I don't really see the point for my desktop. I don't really care overmuch for customization, and it has been over a decade since I have had any major issue with Windows.

Hudo

Currently on Fedora Silverblue via UniversalBlue images. Had no issues playing anything. Even older (non-GoG) games are easier to run than on Windows, imho.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I work with Linux for a living, but sadly I'm too cringe to game on it at home.

The impression I'm getting from some of you is that it's a worthwhile endeavour?

Drew1440

Hardly anyone I know customises their OS appearance anymore, everyone just uses the stock Windows 10 theme. People don't even change the ringtones on their phone, always hear the default Samsung/iPhone ringer.

Also if anyone's a Steam deck/OS user, that's now Arch based

kikkis

I used Linux for couple of months but I don't recommend it to anyone. I fail to see what this mysterious bloat is, no benchmark or game seems to run significantly better on Linux. You can't even adjust scroll wheel speed which by default is frustratingly slow. Package manager is nice until you realize lot of stuff requires custom commands to get them to download.

Bashtee

Linux offers all the bells and whistles of Microsoft Windows or MacOS without the bloat.
sudo apt uninstall Faust

But on a more serious note: I simulate Ubuntu in VMs for work and other distributions for containers, but I'm not interested in using it as a day-to-day driver.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
After my experience with Steam Deck, I'd be totally open to Linux gaming...most games do "just work," but since I work full time and have a family...the idea of finicking around on my desktop with something that I can't just setup out of the box and go is less appealing these days. A Windows 11 Pro key was like 30 bucks when I built my new PC and it runs exceptionally well, especially when taking just a couple minutes to turn off any bloat. W11 sucks shit on my work laptop though, because all the bloat can't be turned off plus IT and the OEM has all their additional bullshit...

In conclusion: yay Linux...maybe someday.

Quasicat

I use Windows at work, MacOS for productivity and media at home, and Linux for gaming. I’m still fairly new at Linux, but I like it so far. Valve has made it really user friendly based on some of my research and I like the customization of it.

Debian-based
Good Morning Comedy GIF by Paramount+

TronNerd82

I work with Linux for a living, but sadly I'm too cringe to game on it at home.

The impression I'm getting from some of you is that it's a worthwhile endeavour?
I would say so. It'll take a bit more tweaking and configuration for some games, but if you're willing to do so, it becomes a very rewarding experience.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Kubuntu on my main desktop which I do game on some. My big gaming rig is Windows. And then Steam Deck. I look forward to the day when all my PCs are Linux.

Top Bottom