• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I might be in the minority but in terms of PC gaming I prefer a gaming laptop more than a PC.

Romulus

Might get it down below 80 with a repaste. Although the amount of time I spent repasting laptops and obsessing about heat, fan curves and throttling was somewhat ridiculous.

For noise, just use noise canceling headphones and never date anyone.

Cooling pad worked for me. The actual laptop fans are way louder and do a shitty job by comparison. The pad I use kept the temps low enough so that the laptop fan doesn't turn on max, and with even regular headphones I can't hear it at all.

Last edited:

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Not that 4070ti is a bad desktop by any means, but the 4090 laptop wins.

All depends on wattage supplied to the laptop 4090.

Very few laptops have full 175w 4090s in them and if they do that usually means the CPU has been power throttled to keep them within the limits of current laptop PSUs. Most 4090 laptops are power limited to 130w-150w and thus deliver lower or at best, on par framerates with a 4070ti.

Romulus

All depends on wattage supplied to the laptop 4090.

Very few laptops have full 175w 4090s in them and if they do that usually means the CPU has been power throttled to keep them within the limits of current laptop PSUs. Most 4090 laptops are power limited to 130w-150w and thus deliver lower or at best, on par framerates with a 4070ti.

I would argue the razer used in that comparison video is getting less performance than some of the other 4090 laptop options. I think there's four 175w, so that's a pretty decent list. I would imagine anyone already in the market for a 4090 laptop and values performance would get a 175w anyway.
So the potential to outpace a 4070ti desktop is there with options. But if you don't research and just "want a 4090" laptop then you can easily go on par or lower than a 4070ti. I think its bonkers you can actually choose unwisely and still box with a 4070ti desktop with only 150w.

Kenpachii

U can use a laptop as a mobile desktop pc, it has a hdmi out for gsync. that's what i do.

I have mine hooked up on lg c2 oled at home, and on the road i use the screen on the laptop itself. About the noise, a cooling pad will reduce temps massively, and if u do hate the noise at full usage u can easily remove it with a headphone which on my desktop pc always had on anyway.

Also wattage is lower on a laptop which helps massively with temps in the room.

Honestly, laptops these days are full desktop replacements.

Last edited:

Crayon

Yah, actually I like the idea. Never had a good one, but I have enjoyed a lot of lightweight games over the years on the laptops I've had. I've found a small laptop to be the best portable gaming setup. Sure you can't hold it but i've tried taking pocketable handhelds out many many times over the years and I only end up playing them in situations where I can get settled in like a hotel or a long flight. Most situations like this, a laptop with a slim controller or even on the touchpad would be more comfortable than holding a handheld with my head cranked down at it.

I'd consider a laptop. Desktops are a little cheaper, easier to clean, and the modularity lets you upgrade in chunks. But other than that I think a laptop sounds great.

Then again, the big chunky ones with the cooling for gaming don't appeal to me that much. But you only need those if you want to play the latest, which I have other options for.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I will once the tears stop rolling from your eyes dumdum
Gordon Ramsey Idiot GIF

Romulus

A high end pc and a portable pc handheld is the perfect combination, if you can afford it. Gaming laptops are a mediocre middle ground imo.

Not for me. I travel and pc handhelds are too weak to do high end VR. And regular gaming at way higher settings.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Same here. And I’ll go one step further. I like hooking into my TV and using a controller as opposed to mouse and keys as well. My laptop is pretty solid and realistically I play on PC for some games that aren’t on consoles, I don’t care about much over 60fps if at all, and I’m fine with 1080 and sometimes 4k. For die hard PC folks and those who play competitive games quite a bit, I get it, but for me my simple set up is perfect. Plus I hate sitting at a desk, I do that 40+ hours a week already anyway.

Pop

Same

And I even have a trick for you guys. I use my gaming laptop as a desktop when at home...Shocking I know

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I bought my gaming laptop January 2021. The cost of the entire laptop (i7 11800H/3060/165hz screen) was less than just a 3060 desktop GPU. I actually bought two for the family. They are both still working flawlessly and run everything well. I run most games at 4K with DLSS.
Almost same here, a little less. Mine has a i5 11,400, a 3050 and 144hz. But I mostly play on my tv anyway. Perfect for me.

Zuzu

With Thunderbolt 5 coming out this year we will see a big improvement in the viability of external GPUs which will make laptops even more attractive (but thunderbolt 5 still won't match the available GPU bandwidth and performance of a desktop PC build; still, it should be a lot better).

Last edited:

Boneless

If you hook it up to a tv then its not pc gaming. PC gaming is done at a desk, behind a monitor alt tabbing during loading screens to watch twitch.

Last edited:

Fredrik

It’s a starting point. My PC journey started with a laptop and Marlow Briggs for like a dollar at a summer sale.

Schmick

Basically if I can get performance that’s either close or better than console settings I’m happy. I like the fact that I can hook it up to my TV and take it with me wherever I go. A desktop is cool but to me I already have a PS5 and Series X for stationary gaming. Laptop and Switch for portable gaming. I know most PC gamers look down on laptops but I think they’ve came a long now in giving a great gaming experience.

Anyone else on a similar page?
Combine your laptop with Geforce Now and you are sorted.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Agreed. I travel a lot, and the gaming laptop is a far better solution for me. Hence being currently in Australia, and being able to wade my way thru BG3 on my ROG. I also work on it, so it’s a tax write off. Lovely.

It’s three years old now with a 3070, so I’m upping to a 4080 later this year.

With Xbox shitting the bed and Sony fucking everything off to PC it seems as well, my next gaming laptop will be my primary and possibly only platform for the coming few years.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

Every time i've brought a gaming laptop, i've quickly regretted it.
They're too clunky to easily bring around as portable devices, and not quite there in terms of replacing my high end desktops.
Also, very noisy and uncomfortable.
In order to enjoy them, I need to connect to a monitor and use external keyboard etc.

For me, a good desktop and handheld companions are the ultimate combo.
Currently having a 4090 rig, and a OLED steam deck and a Legion Go as "companions" to that.
If I want to play on the couch, I just dock one of the handhelds and use it as a console on the TV.

RavageX

I wonder about gamers sometimes. Complaints about strange things like noise and, "Oh it weighs 5 pounds, I can barely lift it."

WTF really?

Personally the only gaming I don't do is mobile gaming (because its trash unless you are emulating) and I haven't had any issues switching around happily. Laptop is for when I don't feel like being at my desk, I set it on a stand and play....but guess what? I wouldn't know if its getting hot because I DON'T PLAY WITH IT ON MY LAP.

You should know better.

When I don't feel like tinkering with settings, I'm on my consoles.

When I feel like something a bit different I'm on the switch.

Then the complaining about upgrades. I've had the same laptop for years and it still plays whatever I desire. Not sure what you guys are buying. Research maybe?

Bought a 4090 Legion laptop last year and it has pretty much become my main gaming system where I spend most of my gaming time and where I'll buy multi-platform games. I've been able to play through Alan Wake 2 and Cyberpunk on max/near max settings at 4K60+ fps.

It made sense for me because I didn't have the space for a whole desktop setup anywhere. With the laptop, I can get it out of its case when I'm ready, hook it up to the TV for use, then pack it up when I'm done.

One of the main issues I see people talk about with laptops is the thermals but if you make sure you've got some air flow under the laptop by propping it up with a stand or something, you probably won't have that issue on a newer model.

RoboCain

Gaming laptops are cool, but I feel they are meant for the same crowd that buys pre built desktops. Unless you are cool with casual gaming, you get something bulky, loud and hot, and often more expensive compared with a desktop. And if you only play light games and such, a regular laptop may get you by without having to pay extra for tacky rgb colored hardware.

Last edited:
I needed a laptop for my DJ gigs. Figured I may as well buy a gaming laptop and a decent monitor. So I bought a 16" Legion RTX 3060 3 years ago and it quickly became my main gaming system. I don't think I'll return to building PC's ever again. I love having the extra laptop monitor as well.

SNG32

Every time i've brought a gaming laptop, i've quickly regretted it.
They're too clunky to easily bring around as portable devices, and not quite there in terms of replacing my high end desktops.
Also, very noisy and uncomfortable.
In order to enjoy them, I need to connect to a monitor and use external keyboard etc.

For me, a good desktop and handheld companions are the ultimate combo.
Currently having a 4090 rig, and a OLED steam deck and a Legion Go as "companions" to that.
If I want to play on the couch, I just dock one of the handhelds and use it as a console on the TV.
Honestly I feel that 15.6 and 16 inch laptops are one's you can get away with without them being took clunky. Especially the newer one's. I think once you start getting into the 17 inch range, that's when they start getting uncomfortable. I have a 15.6 now and it's way lighter than the last one I had that had a 1070 in it.

SNG32

I needed a laptop for my DJ gigs. Figured I may as well buy a gaming laptop and a decent monitor. So I bought a 16" Legion RTX 3060 3 years ago and it quickly became my main gaming system. I don't think I'll return to building PC's ever again. I love having the extra laptop monitor as well.
That's what i'm saying. Like fine I get it you have a desktop for gaming. But if your something like a DJ or like an animator a good gaming laptop got you covered. Plus with fsr and dlss it opens you up to alot more games.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Unless you are cool with casual gaming, you get something bulky, loud and hot, and often more expensive compared with a desktop.

My slim 1.9kg ROG Zephyrus with a 3070 plays BG3 on silent mode at about 50-60 fps on high settings just fine.

Not true that gaming on a laptop is always noisy. You just have to sacrifice a little top end performance - which is fine, as I can travel with it. It's often worth the trade off.

Chiggs

Your tastes reflect what's been known to market analysts for quite some time. PC desktops are on the decline.

Source:

The U.S. PC market recorded its first year-over-year growth since the second quarter of 2021, with a 1.8% increase in the fourth quarter of 2023. A decline in desktops offset laptop growth.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Exactly GPUs are priced as laptops now. Atleast with a laptop sure it might not be powerful as desktop gpu but atleast your getting a whole ass computer with a decent gaming experience at the same time.
There was a 4060 laptop that almost tempted me away from a steam deck because it was 800 dollars on sale last week.

I prefer laptops, but I baby mine. Try to avoid long gaming sessions, and run games on mid level settings for the most part. I do keep the 60fps tho… ; ) I just don’t care that much about graphics, it’s almost always artstyle that wins me over, even if it’s graphically kind of rough looking

If portability is very important to you, sure laptops make sense. However I'll seen many people who buy laptops...and keep them in a fixed place. That's utterly pointless.

Hydroxy

Pandemic converted a lot of people from desktop to laptop because laptops were not being price gouged. Today's laptops are so much better than yesteryears. Consume way less space and have the option to carry with you around. Unless I can get significantly better value in desktop, I will stick with laptop only from now on.

Top Bottom