• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prebuilt PC suggestions

Kacho

It cost me roughly $2,000 to build my most recent PC. I'm rocking a 4070ti and i7-12700k, not even close to top of the line, but I'm very happy with it. Expect to spend that much or more depending on the GPU you want.

Don't sleep on other stuff you need like a good mouse, keyboard and monitor. The first time you jump into PC gaming is expensive!

Good luck bro. The performance gains are going to blow your mind.

Last edited:
4080 or higher
12700k or higher
DDR5 6000 or higher

120hz vrr display once funds allow.

check out microcenter if one is nearby. good bundles and they offer building services.

itll be a big jump over consoles.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I’m primarily on Ps5, but about a year ago I grabbed a pretty solid mid to lower-high range laptop for a fair price so I could play some Steam games. I also have TV that caps at 60fps and it works perfect with that. I don’t use a mouse and keyboard and use a Turtle Beach Recon controller when I play on it. I don’t know much about PC’s either and it was the perfect purchase for me. I might get into desktop at some point in the future, but right now money and time are a bit tight.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
First off, congratulations for coming aboard!

Second, I agree with bits and pieces of those posting. I'm still very much an enthusiast and build my own machines (and like some have said, that takes a little dedication), but if you're really chasing top-end perf. in something like Cyberpunk, you are probably going to need to think $2500-$3000 at a minimum!

I'm currently rockin' a 13900K, 3090 Ti (EVGA), 96GB of DDR5, and 6TB NVMes. I struggle with Cyberpunk only because I'm missing a 4090 and my machine cost well North of 3 bags! At the same time, play it smart. Try to buy reputable and not just give up your dough for the sake of power without research!

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Dont settle for anything lower than 4090. 4080 or 4080 Supers are vastly underpowered in comparison.
Nah.

OP, avoid the 4090, unless you really want it.

Klosshufvud

First advice in PC gaming; top presets in games are a hoax. Usually they add ton of garbage like intense DoF and motion blur that bog down performance and makes games look worse. Once you learn how to adjust a game to your personal taste, performance tends to be saved on big time.

Second advice; top of the line equipment is no guarantee of future proofing. The only way to future proof yourself is to learn to compromise and be versatile. With that in mind, I would not recommend top of the line specs. You just create a bad habit of wanting the absolute best all the time.

Third advice; don't be too afraid to look in the used market. PC components are durable as fuck. A second-hand PC/component may perform just as well as one brand new for multiple hundred dollars less.

Last advice; a great monitor is a game changer. You need one with GSync, 120hz, great IPS color range and brightness and minimum 1440p resolution.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Punished Miku Punished Miku you should create an account with Steam, GOG and Epic Games now so you’re ready. You can redeem the free games to have a collection ready-to-go.

Also start buying up some back catalogue for cheap through sales and 3rd party places such as the legendary CD Keys etc.
That is good advice. Should have done that long ago, but better late than never I guess.

Its probably been said already but you can order parts and sent them to a builder for like 100 bucks if tou dont want the headach of building it. Stretch that 2500 budget much further.

It would be the difference of having a pre-built with a 4070 vice a self built w/4080 S

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I'm totally clueless in terms of gaming PCs, but I'm looking to make the switch. What do you guys recommend? I can google it and I get a bunch of top 10 lists that seem sponsored, and they don't really tell me all that much in terms of practical results I can relate to.

I would like to try games over 60 fps sometimes, but my TV caps at 60 I think. I would prefer a TV over getting a monitor for it, so I may just have to wait on that until I upgrade my TV in several years.

Trying to get a sense of the price I can expect at the very least for gaming that is relatively future proof, and at least a small step above current consoles in terms of performance.

$2000? $2500? Just to put this in terms of something I can understand, what is the cost of a PC running top performance Cyberpunk settings?

I been in your shoes and ended up learning the hard way than building your own is so much better. I get your not wanting or capable of building a system so I will make a suggestion. IF you're going to go Pre-Built id highly recommebnd a Corsair.

People will have other opinions, but I have bought 2 of them in the past for people in your situation. Both of them were dead quiet, and performed flawless for gaming. I will caution you however that they like other prebuilt basically lock their bios from future upgrades unless they release one. So you won't be able to go to a board manufactures site and download the newest update for ram speeds etc.

They do this for support reasons. People will install "unverified" stuff and have issues calling them for support. The told me point blank that this is how almost all the vendors do.

Now Im sure you can find a few that don't lock it down, but you probably don't get support.

However those Corsair vengeance machines are still rocking 3 years later without issue.

Also i actually really enjoying building PCs so if you decide to build one yourself instead of going pre-built id be more tha. Happy to walk you through it step by step over discord. ( I have been in the computer business for 20 years)

Is it cheaper to build a PC? I have friends willing to teach me but just curious

it most definitely would be cheaper if you know what you're doing and pick the parts. I remember when I got my current pre-built, I look on Alienware and iBuypower and compare the same spec with the Newegg build tool. Alienware was over $500 more expensive than building it myself. I ended up going with iBuypower which is only $200 more than if I do it myself.

calistan

There's no guarantee this will always be the case, but in the past if you went with an AMD CPU it was often possible to upgrade to a better one in a few years without having to throw out your entire motherboard. With Intel it's generally game over for your PC if you decide the processor isn't up to the job anymore.

That's getting dangerously close to self-built though...

not that anyone here would get this, but just a heads up to make sure you buy from a reputable company if you don't want all your digital info got jacked.

SantaC

Make sure you go for a 13600k or there about to take advantage of PLAYSTATION 3 emulation.
PS3 emulation is the real deal right now, you can play the games with superior performance and it’s transformative.

You’ll also be covered for Xenia as it improves. So yeah, don’t cheap on the CPU because you’ll be stuck with it for a long time. GPU, if you’re bound to a 60hz TV then you can get a used 3070
terrible advice. AMD is faster in PS3 emulation

Many of the big names have build kits. Like Lego's you get everything in one box with picture instructiions.

SantaC

Intel gives best performance in a lot of emulators. Intel only do 2 gens per “platform” (basically motherboard and CPU slot).

So don’t cheap and get a 10 or 11 series CPU, which surprisingly some prebuilt machines still have.
you are straight up lying. the 7800X3D is better than intel in PS3 and switch emulators.

RagnarokIV

terrible advice. AMD is faster in PS3 emulation

you are straight up lying. the 7800X3D is better than intel in PS3 and switch emulators.

Yeah no shit? The 7800X3D is more expensive than a 13600 so I’d expect so.

My original post was “13600K OR THERE ABOUT

Considering a 7800X3D is above, I’d expect to it to perform better you donut.

I assume your tv is 4k. 4k is still expensive to run on pc. 4k users are like sub 5 percent on steam surveys if I remember correctly.

You can build a desktop for like 800 bucks that will crush 1080p. 1440p looks great but gets a little pricier. Then there's 4k which is why people are suggesting video cards that range in the 1,000 to 1,600 dollar price range.

I'd recommend a high refresh rate monitor regardless of what resolution you choose. You're gonna want the mouse and keyboard experience some of the time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom