• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prebuilt PC suggestions

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm totally clueless in terms of gaming PCs, but I'm looking to make the switch. What do you guys recommend? I can google it and I get a bunch of top 10 lists that seem sponsored, and they don't really tell me all that much in terms of practical results I can relate to.

I would like to try games over 60 fps sometimes, but my TV caps at 60 I think. I would prefer a TV over getting a monitor for it, so I may just have to wait on that until I upgrade my TV in several years.

Trying to get a sense of the price I can expect at the very least for gaming that is relatively future proof, and at least a small step above current consoles in terms of performance.

$2000? $2500? Just to put this in terms of something I can understand, what is the cost of a PC running top performance Cyberpunk settings?

RagnarokIV

Make sure you go for a 13600k or there about to take advantage of PLAYSTATION 3 emulation.
PS3 emulation is the real deal right now, you can play the games with superior performance and it’s transformative.

You’ll also be covered for Xenia as it improves. So yeah, don’t cheap on the CPU because you’ll be stuck with it for a long time. GPU, if you’re bound to a 60hz TV then you can get a used 3070

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Cyberpunk top level performance is the tippy top of PC performance. You are talking top of the range parts all around.

Mister Wolf

I would definitely get a 4080 Super or 4090 for my GPU. Find a pre-built with that and we can tell you if the other specs a acceptable.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'm probably not going for that then lol.
Yeah even a midrange PC now will get you much better than console performance, high end and you have a good chance of matching the next gen console performance.
Are you sure you want to go pre-built. Part of the fun of PC gaming is building your own PC and nowadays it is painfully easy to do. That way you will also have the confidence to upgrade individual parts as time goes on.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
To get top performance Cyberpunk you would need probably another $1000 to get into a 4090 system but at your $2500 limit you can still grab a very nice PC

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yeah even a midrange PC now will get you much better than console performance, high end and you have a good chance of matching the next gen console performance.
Are you sure you want to go pre-built. Part of the fun of PC gaming is building your own PC and nowadays it is painfully easy to do. That way you will also have the confidence to upgrade individual parts as time goes on.
I like saving money, but that sounds horrible. Never done it, never wanted to do it. I would probably mess it up.

Jinzo Prime

Make sure you go for a 13600k or there about to take advantage of PLAYSTATION 3 emulation.
PS3 emulation is the real deal right now, you can play the games with superior performance and it’s transformative.

You’ll also be covered for Xenia as it improves. So yeah, don’t cheap on the CPU because you’ll be stuck with it for a long time. GPU, if you’re bound to a 60hz TV then you can get a used 3070
What about AMD CPUs?

MiguelItUp

Honestly, if you have a Micro Center anywhere near you, I'd recommend going there. Majority of the time they have prebuilts that fall into that price range and are solid. Or even Newegg, honestly. For example....

A lot of the "build your pc" websites have quite a bit of bloated pricing due to mark ups and labor costs. Getting the parts yourself and getting it built is always the way to go. But getting prebuilts are a nice choice for those that are unable to build them, or get them built. I don't think I'd ever recommend big name prebuilts unless the pricing is SUPER good.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I would visit sites like Techspot and check benchmarks/reviews for GPUs and CPUs. See what fits your budget and is giving you the performance you’re looking for.

I’m not familiar with what PC builders or prebuilts are going for, but there’s an added cost there.

If you want all the bells and whistles like path tracing and DLSS3 then you’re going to want Nvidia. I’m thinking a 4070 Super would be a nice buy. You don’t need a 4080 or 4090.

RagnarokIV

What about AMD CPUs?
It may have changed now, but when I was building for PS3 emulation, Intel was well ahead of AMD in RPCS3.

I was mainly building for Metal Gear Online, which is the most demanding for RPCS3 and the extra frames and intel chip would offer were a no brainer for my circumstances. I went for a 12400 and later upgraded to a 13600k

I bought a Lenovo Legion from Best Buy when it was on Sale a few months ago. It's built really well and is fully upgradable with no weird parts preventing me from changing things out. It's also very quiet. (not as quiet as the new consoles but it's also not a hair dryer. It's also not that large.
I've already added an M.2 SSD and changed the memory from 16GB to 32GB (even though I probly didn't need to yet)

Looks like it's back on sale. This is what I bought.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Honestly, if you have a Micro Center anywhere near you, I'd recommend going there. Majority of the time they have prebuilts that fall into that price range and are solid. Or even Newegg, honestly. For example....

A lot of the "build your pc" websites have quite a bit of bloated pricing due to mark ups and labor costs. Getting the parts yourself and getting it built is always the way to go. But getting prebuilts are a nice choice for those that are unable to build them, or get them built. I don't think I'd ever recommend big name prebuilts unless the pricing is SUPER good.
I may be able to get it built locally. Unclear at this time, but I will look into that more as well. Might have to go that route just to make sure it doesn't have any cringe neon lights on it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
My #1 piece of advice is ignore anyone and everyone telling you to build your own.

Unless you're actively interested in the hobby of it, and want to spend hours upon hours researching and making sure you do it right, it's not even close to worth the hassle. Long ago prebuilts were often terrible and cost way more than doing it yourself. These days it just isn't worth it unless you're a real enthusiast about it. I used to build my own PCs and haven't bothered with the last 2 total refreshes I got.

#2 piece of advice is to shoot for a system + monitor/TV that will do 120hz, it's one of the major advantages of a PC being able to play older titles at higher resolutions and framerates easily. A 4K 120hz monitor is really going to future proof you - you won't run Cyberpunk at 4k120 now, but in X number of years when you upgrade your card again and want to replay it you might.

Also, go nVidia for GPU, not AMD. Their AI voodoo isn't nearly as good.

I used to build my own PC with help of a more knowledgeable friend. but these days I'm older and really can't be bothered with the trouble of doing it myself (TBF these days the process is much easier), I just go with pre-builts. I got my current one from iBuypower like 2 years ago and it's still good right now. I also just recently got one for a friend of mine from Costco which is also great.

O3PO15d.jpg

I'm going to guess something like this one above from back during Christmas would be pretty good for your gaming needs already. it comes with a decent keyboard and mouse too and we got a 34" widescreen monitor for $250 or so, so the whole setup was only $1250 before tax. go check and see if your local Costco/Sam's Club has any good deals going on. they might be worth it.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Good to know. I didn't know if you could really trust people like that when you're about to buy something.
The important thing to know is to have a solid idea of what you want and ask the appropriate questions.

They don't want to lose your business, but if they see you as an uninformed newb, they might take advantage.

Last edited:

Xyphie

I'd avoid Lenovo/Dell/HP etc and go with a company that basically builds computers with off-the-shelf components and offer a warranty etc if you're not comfortable building yourself., you tend to get more value that way. Down the line you should look up some Youtube videos to learn how to install some extra SSDs if you find yourself needing more storage though.

This one from CyberPowerPC is OK if you pick the 32GB RAM upgrade on the options. $1724 for a 7800X3D (~$400) and 4070 Super ($600) build isn't terrible at all and will comfortably get you in excess of 2x console perf. No reason to go higher on the CPU purely for gaming and if you want more on the GPU side select a 4070 Ti Super, 4080 Super (~3x console perf) or 4090 (~4x console perf).

JordiENP

This time I bought a rtx 4060 laptop for $750 I can play cyberpunk at ultra, with rtx at psycho using frame generation (80 fps) and dlss. What I'm trying to say is, you don't need to spend that much.

Last edited:

keefged4

I'm not understanding why people are bringing up PS3 emulation as if its some new revelation, mid range PCs have been able to emulate PS3 for a number of years now. If emulation is your main concern, focus on a high end Intel CPU. If you want a bit of everything then go with a Ryzen CPU, at least a 5 5600 or above. As for GPU, 4070 or 4070 super will easily beat the current gen consoles.

Fredrik

Never had a prebuild, but what about this one?

Mouse:​

Dell Optical Mouse - MS116 (Black)
More Info
Quantity: 1

Keyboard:​

Dell Multimedia Keyboard-KB216 Black (English)
More Info

Wirelessi:​

Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210, 2x2, 802.11ax, MU-MIMO, Bluetooth® wireless card
More Info

Chassis Options:​

1000W Platinum Rated PSU, 240mm Liquid-Cooled CPU & Clear Side Panel
More Info

Storage:​

1 TB, M.2, PCIe NVMe, SSD
More Info

Memoryi:​

32 GB: 2 x 16 GB, DDR5, 5600 MT/s
More Info

Graphics Card:​

NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 4070Ti SUPER 16GB GDDR6X
More Info

Operating System:​

Windows 11 Home, English, French, Spanish
More Info

Processor:​

Intel® Core™ i9 14900F (24-Core, 68MB Total Cache, 2.0GHz to 5.8GHz w/Turbo Boost Max 3.0)
More Info

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
$3,000 for top of the line.

Dont settle for anything lower than 4090. 4080 or 4080 Supers are vastly underpowered in comparison.

4070 is trash.

This is under $3000.

Mister Wolf

Dont settle for anything lower than 4090. 4080 or 4080 Supers are vastly underpowered in comparison.

4070 is trash.

This is under $3000.
Yeah If you are going to make the investment you might as well go all in.

I can recommend Lenovo Legion Tower.

My Tower 7i:

Z790 chipset
13700kf
RTX 4080
32GB 5600 MHz
1 Tb PCIe 4.0 SSD
850 W PSU

I build PC all the time but couldn't beat the pre built price. After all discount and rebate it was like $1680 after tax.

Pros:
The price is unbeatable, it's gonna easily cost 2200+.

Lenovo has been a reliable big brand the build quality is great. Them using Z790 chipset says a lot.

The Lenovo Vantage software is easy to use for overclocking and performance tweaking.

Decent upgradability. 2 extra M.2 slots, 2 more channels for ram. And the GPU clearance is huge so you could upgrade to a 4090 without issues.

Cons:

As pre built machine, you lose quite a lot of MB level controls. There are no ways to overlock in BIOS, you can't do undervolt, etc.

The one I bought is with an air cooler and it was a half-assed one. TDP is only 150 W and that's quite incompetent for 13700kf, especially when you go overlock. Had to tear the whole tower down and switch to a Thermalright cooler. It could be hard for someone not experienced in building PC.

But overall, I am more than happy with my PC. I had to lurk on the deal forum for a while before the deal appeared but really, the final value I got is unbeatable, especially now we have the performance benchmark for 4080 super, lol.

And one last suggestion, go with 4080 or higher if you can. The large VRAM is gonna be very instrumental for frame generation technique. Nowadays there is no true resolution in PC gaming any more, everything is upscaling technique and having a large VRAM is future proof.

More Info

More Info

More Info

More Info

More Info

More Info

More Info

More Info

Intel® Core™ i9 14900F (24-Core, 68MB Total Cache, 2.0GHz to 5.8GHz w/Turbo Boost Max 3.0)
More Info

4070 is trash.

This is under $3000.

on a side note, had Alienware improved their parts and case quality/design? I remember years ago I helped a friend to try fix his Alienware and the case had this weird design that basically traps all the heat inside, and the CPU fan was simply a joke. their price mark up was also a little too much for me to consider back when I was getting my current PC.

amigastar

4070 is trash.

This is under $3000.
If you wanna play at 4k then yes, 4070 is not good but for 2.560 x 1.440 it's alright.

Buggy Loop

Can't you wait 5000 series?

More Info

More Info

More Info

More Info

More Info

More Info

More Info

More Info

More Info

Don't Dell & Alienware have their own custom shit to be sure you will not be able to tinker with? Like custom motherboard, connections, CPU cooler, etc ?

They were badly reviewed by Gamers Nexus & Linus.

Punished Miku Punished Miku I would do a lot of research before buying Dell & Alienware.

@7:48, they still use a proprietary motherboard with front IO attached.... so E-WASTE and terrible upgrade path. DO NOT TOUCH. Seems they haven't learned their fucking lesson.

Fredrik

on a side note, had Alienware improved their parts and case quality/design? I remember years ago I helped a friend to try fix his Alienware and the case had this weird design that basically traps all the heat inside, and the CPU fan was simply a joke. their price mark up was also a little too much for me to consider back when I was getting my current PC.
Yeah I have no idea, just googled on prebuilds.
Personally I would buy a custom build or build it myself. There are lots of experienced people here (not me) that could help choose the parts.
I’m thinking someone kind could start a thread about smaller and more compact PCs for the living room now that many might want to move from Xbox to PC if MS kill the platform.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Man, I wish you were in the UK. I would hook you up.

Budget wise I'm not too sure in the US. And I'm not sure which SI (system integrater) is the best. How are cyberpower, main gear etc?

If people could share some links I'll chime in with any advice I can.

Buy a prebuilt that offers you a good warranty on the entire pc. Building a PC is loads of fun when you know what you are doing but can be hell if you get a faulty part. Being able to return the whole pc and let them sort the issue. If you had one that is, would be much less headache.

Get a 4080 super if you can.

It's not too complicated tbh just want to make sure the manufacturer isn't cheaping out on motherboard, ram, nvme and psu really.

Last edited:
Decent upgradability. 2 extra M.2 slots, 2 more channels for ram. And the GPU clearance is huge so you could upgrade to a 4090 without issues.

Cons:

As pre built machine, you lose quite a lot of MB level controls. There are no ways to overlock in BIOS, you can't do undervolt, etc.

The one I bought is with an air cooler and it was a half-assed one. TDP is only 150 W and that's quite incompetent for 13700kf, especially when you go overlock. Had to tear the whole tower down and switch to a Thermalright cooler. It could be hard for someone not experienced in building PC.
I wish I had got the model you did.
My Lenovo case will not fit a card over 13 inches so a 4090 is out. I will also need to upgrade my 500 Watt power supply when the 5000 series hits.
I'm already thinking about buying the new Thermaltake Tower 300 case ($150) and just moving all the parts over to the new case.

As for the 150 W cooler, Gaming I've never seen it go over 80C, only benchmarking and stress testing does it start to throttle down.
but the Lenovo cases allow for both a bigger air cooler and an AIO up top.

Last edited:
Top Bottom