• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you #normcore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://nymag.com/thecut/2014/02/normcore-fashion-trend.html
Sometime last summer I realized that, from behind, I could no longer tell if my fellow Soho pedestrians were art kids or middle-aged, middle-American tourists. Clad in stonewash jeans, fleece, and comfortable sneakers, both types looked like they might’ve just stepped off an R-train after shopping in Times Square. When I texted my friend Brad (an artist whose summer uniform consisted of Adidas barefoot trainers, mesh shorts and plain cotton tees) for his take on the latest urban camouflage, I got an immediate reply: “lol normcore.”

Handy #normcore identification guide:

http://gothamist.com/2014/02/26/get_the_look_normcore.php

growup.jpeg
Not #normcore

patrik-ervell-new-york-fashion-week-fall-2013-28.jpg

#normcore

What are your thoughts NeoGAF.com members?

Dereck

Read that entire article and still have no idea what normcore is.
Normcore is a humorous fashion trend in which artists and others associated with the “hipster” subculture emulate Middle Americans by wearing ordinary clothing with dull or muted colors.

6e8.jpg

Orayn

I've been doing this for years without realizing it. Most of my wardrobe consists of boring jeans and generic blue and gray sweaters.

Damaniel

Banned
I have a couple pairs of New Balance like that. I don't wear them to make some kind of hipster fashion statement, though - they're just comfortable as fuck. (I work adjacent to Nike's corporate headquarters, and have access to their company store on a regular basis, but I'll still pay full price to buy New Balance shoes rather than subject my feet to Nikes that never, ever seem to fit right).

Einbroch

Banned
New Balance are so comfy. Obviously I don't wear them when going out for a nice evening or whatever, but to the mall, around town, on walks?

New Balance all the way.

Espada

Did they really need to call regular ole comfortable clothes... #normcore? It's not fashion, it's clothing doing what it's supposed to do. This is silly as hell.

kick51

Banned
Normcore is a humorous fashion trend in which artists and others associated with the “hipster” subculture emulate Middle Americans by wearing ordinary clothing with dull or muted colors.

6e8.jpg

patagonia fleeces + tevas are for hippies, not middle america

and they're hardly a "norm" price

I have no clue what the point of these articles were. Typically I'll wear slim (not skinny) Lucky Brand, Abercrombie type jeans with a polo, Fred Perry, Ben Sherman etc.. and a pair of casual dress shoes Steve Madden, Oxford style Doc's etc... I guess this would be normcore?

I have no clue what the point of these articles were. Typically I'll wear slim (not skinny) Lucky Brand, Abercrombie type jeans with a polo, Fred Perry, Ben Sherman etc.. and a pair of casual dress shoes Steve Madden, Oxford style Doc's etc... I guess this would be normcore?
none of what you listed is #normcore. i mean the fact you had to tell us the fit of your denim says it all really.

none of what you listed is #normcore. i mean the fact you had to tell us the fit of your denim says it all really.

Oh sorry, well like I said I didn't really understand the articles point.

EDIT: To be completely honest though everything I listed is my casual wear on the week ends and seem pretty normal to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom