• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Argentinian prosecutor who claimed cover-up over 1994 bombing found dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
oh.

I didn't know the details.

It was a law what made the conversion between AR$ and US$ equal, of course the only way to keep the "magic conversion" was to sell everything the state had to private companies, until you run out of things to sell and then... well you know.

Elchele

It was a law what made the conversion between AR$ and US$ equal, of course the only way to keep the "magic conversion" was to sell everything the state had to private companies, until you run out of things to sell and then... well you know.

They should do it again. I want to go to Miami for the weekend

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Well you're wrong then, it is not the 'huge majority of countries in LA' at all like that.

Although 1-3% figure is indeed wrong, most of Latin America has indeed a very lopsided wealth distribution, with Uruguay, Chile, Costa Rica and Argentina being the less unequal, in that order.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
The sad part is that, for the region, that's a very high minimum wage and, at least compared to Brazil, pretty standard taxation.

We get a 60% tax on imports, tho. Plus a flat ten brl handling fee if it comes by mail. Fun times.

Oh man, the tampon stuff is all kinds of sad. A cabinet chief legit saying "yeah, about that... we just incompetent". Yeesh.
Most of the region has shit import laws, here in UY it's somewhat better now since we have up to 5 imports of max USD 200 (including price, taxes, shipping) a year, after that or if the cost is over USD 200, you have to pay 60% of the cost in taxes plus various fees to customs (for example, if you get something that costs USD 201, you'll have to pay about USD 300 extra in taxes and fees to get it out of customs).

lol gotta love all the hate for my awesome president. love her and argentina is doing a lot better than what the media is putting out. after 20 years in new york, argentina is my new home and i would never go back to the usa. people hate her cause they cant steal money anymore, the people with money hate her. just like the republicans hate obama. they cant rob people anymore, thus they hate her.

argentina is doing fine.
Is this real life?

Don't know where you get "people are very poor there" from that. The existence of middle class in Argentina is the main reason why this country and Uruguay are different than the rest of Latin America.+
I'm assuming you mean larger middle class and better wealth distribution.

Argentina is different because it's the only country in record that went from developed to developing. In the beginning of the XX argentina had the infrastructure of a fully developed country, so we had a head start on the other south american nations.
The fact that Argentina could be very well be a superpower and it isn't due to all the corruption and bullshit pains me to no end.

There's a huge problem with violence and teen gangs in Argentina, much of it born during the previous crisis and exacerbated under the kirchnerismo. Some of those kids will blast you in the face for whatever change you carry in your pockets.
That's more of a staple of the region, it's very common here as well and has become more pronounced in later years as people have learned how shit our laws can be (mainly that incarceration is optional and entirely up to the judge, if a person turns 18 while doing time he/she cannot be moved to a proper adults prison, and that criminal records are expunged when a person turns 20 if he/she didn't do any offenses after 18)

Argentina is different in that they slaughtered almost completely their indigenous population.
Uruguay slaughtered all of its indigenous population.

So, there's this journalist that tweeted about this before anyone got wind of the situation, he fled the country because he claims that Argentine Inteligence was following him around and was afraid for his life.

This government didn't have a better idea than to publish the guy's personal flight information.

ElFly

Government is also claiming that the prosecutor's accusations are ridiculous, and that will end in the garbage can because they are so terrible. They say they were probably fed to Nisman by someone else, to later kill Nisman and give the accusations value through his death.

Dunno if anyone in laws has given them a look.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So, there's this journalist that tweeted about this before anyone got wind of the situation, he fled the country because he claims that Argentine Inteligence was following him around and was afraid for his life.

This government didn't have a better idea than to publish the guy's personal flight information.

Link?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Reporter who first tweeted news of prosecutor’s death flees Argentina

At 11pm after meeting with his source, Pachter, who works for the web version of the English-language Buenos Aires Herald, wrote on his Twitter account: “I have just been informed about the incident at the home of prosecutor Alberto Nisman.”

About a half-hour later he tweeted: “They found Alberto Nisman in the bathroom at his home in Puerto Madero lying in a pool of blood. He wasn’t breathing. The doctors are there.”

With his tweets, Pachter was the first journalist to break the story of Nisman’s death. Since then, Argentinean society has been rocked by the ongoing investigation into the case and speculation concerning the evidence he had compiled against Fernández de Kirchner and other officials.

After discovering he was being followed by intelligence agents, Pachter said he had to flee the country. He first boarded an Aerolineas Argentina flight to neighboring Montevideo, Uruguay on Friday.

From South America and with a stopover in Madrid, he flew to Israel, a country where he holds citizenship and he says he “spent the best years” of his life.

As the case unfolds, journalists in Argentina are once again feeling the same sense of pressure they did 18 years ago when photographer José Luis Cabezas was killed after taking photos of Alfredo Yabrán, a businessman who was linked to corruption cases during the administration of President Carlos Menem.

Pachter doesn’t know why anyone would want to threaten him on Twitter or by telephone, but he fears his life is in danger. He claims that his phone was tapped and that he was followed “for at least several hours” by a person he believes was an Argentinean intelligence agent.

“Since this has happened, I keep asking myself what would have occurred if I hadn’t posted that tweet,” said a travel-weary Pachter, who only carried a small backpack with him at the airport outside Tel Aviv. His stay in Israel is indefinite.

“Maybe they had another plan, and my tweet, which took place some hours before anyone suspected, ruined someone’s plans. I still don’t know but I intend to find out,” he said.

“I think it had something to do with a cover-up [on behalf of the authorities]. This is all so strange. The government contradicts itself one day to the next.”

In a surprising development, the government news agency Télam revealed Pachter’s whereabouts, including making public a copy of his airline ticket to Montevideo. It was later reproduced on the Casa Rosada presidential palace’s Twitter account. Later government officials said the journalist was headed to Tel Aviv.

Absolute madness.

Hohoho, this is highly peculiar

Argentinian government moves to dissolve domestic intelligence agency

Argentina’s president, Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, has announced a draft bill to dissolve the country’s domestic intelligence agency amid government suspicions rogue agents were behind the death of Alberto Nisman, a state prosecutor investigating the 1994 bombing of a Jewish centre.

Scorched earth it is. Interesting.

What are the chances that this bill becomes law?

Elchele

Welp, this thing is going places. I don't even know who is most likely to blame for the assassination at this point

Madness

Welp, this thing is going places. I don't even know who is most likely to blame for the assassination at this point

Damn, pretty intense. I stated earlier in the thread it wasn't iranian agents but probably some cops or secret police type agents who probably took him out. Even if Iran was involved it's not easy to see someone in their intelligence service receive a call to make the "problem go away" for a sum of money.

Oh, and this is how she decided to show herself on live TV yesterday:

xnYEQTT.jpg

She's playing the victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom