• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Argentinian prosecutor who claimed cover-up over 1994 bombing found dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
i'm no gun nut, so is there any way someone can shoot themselves without ending up with traces on his hands?

I'm not a scientist™, but It seems extremely unlikely to me. I never bring white/nice clothes to the range because powder residue can cause tiny burns and stains, and I generally use a .22lr competition pistol, which doesn't have a big muzzle flash nor anything like that.

Edit: It looks like he was shot with a Bersa Thunder 22.

2m68T7s.jpg

I don't think it's possible such a small pistol wouldn't leave traces of gun powder on his hands, specially if fired at point blank.

ElFly

Random updates:

-The (alive) prosecutor on this case is going to shoot a similar gun to see if it can leave no residues.

-It seems a police inspector entered the apartment just minutes before the (alive) prosecutor entered.

-It seems there was another way to enter the apartment, from the other apartment, through an airway for the air conditioning maintenance.

-The argentinians courts just released the full text of the presentation Nisman was going to do. It's long -300 pages-, but obvs doesn't really the full details of the investigation.

Facundo_Lopez

Neo Member
Man, this country is so fucked up.

For the people who are not into the story, let's just say that half of the population hates the president, and the other half has been brainwashed into thinking that the country is going well even when the minimum salary is no more than 500U$S/month and if you earn more than 1000U$S/month then you have to pay taxes called "Profit Tax" which takes 30% of your salary.

To give you a perspective, we pay 800U$S for a PS4, and you can't import anything without paying 50% of taxes if they allow to import something.

We just had a shortage of tampons because of the stupid importation laws... Imagine that.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Random updates:

-The (alive) prosecutor on this case is going to shoot a similar gun to see if it can leave no residues.

-It seems a police inspector entered the apartment just minutes before the (alive) prosecutor entered.

-It seems there was another way to enter the apartment, from the other apartment, through an airway for the air conditioning maintenance.

-The argentinians courts just released the full text of the presentation Nisman was going to do. It's long -300 pages-, but obvs doesn't really the full details of the investigation.
If you're talking about Sergio Berni, he's the "Security secretary" (don't know the equivalent term in English). That means he's a member of the current government, which makes him an interested party in this mess. There's no way to know what did he do when he was alone inside the apartment, or if he tampered with the crime scene or stole any evidence.

Terrible. Simply terrible.

daniels

Man, this country is so fucked up.

For the people who are not into the story, let's just say that half of the population hates the president, and the other half has been brainwashed into thinking that the country is going well even when the minimum salary is no more than 500U$S/month and if you earn more than 1000U$S/month then you have to pay taxes called "Profit Tax" which takes 30% of your salary.

To give you a perspective, we pay 800U$S for a PS4, and you can't import anything without paying 50% of taxes if they allow to import something.

We just had a shortage of tampons because of the stupid importation laws... Imagine that.

Why is he still alive? i mean with half the population hating this dude there is bound to be some frustrated crazys among them.

Why is he still alive? i mean with half the population hating this dude there is bound to be some frustrated crazys among them.
The president is a woman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cristina_Fernández_de_Kirchner

You could ask the same about why Obama is still alive I guess. Maybe the crazies are not skilled enough? I've certainly seen K sympathizers claim that the opposition wants her dead, but the opposition in general denies this, obviously.

The sad part is that, for the region, that's a very high minimum wage and, at least compared to Brazil, pretty standard taxation.

We get a 60% tax on imports, tho. Plus a flat ten brl handling fee if it comes by mail. Fun times.

Oh man, the tampon stuff is all kinds of sad. A cabinet chief legit saying "yeah, about that... we just incompetent". Yeesh.

M.D

Haven't been able to find an english source, but apparently they found a hidden door leading to his house from another apartment

Elchele

I honestly think iranian agents or something among those lines killed him. It would be weird for the government to do it, it was way too obvious and could only harm their image even more

I will always remember a conversation I had with an Argentinian couple 2 yars ago while I was vacationing in a resort, they were telling me how great the country was doing which is so a stark contrast from I have read, I asked them about the foreign currency control and the economy in general and the guys just said: blah that foreign currency control doesn't affect us! We Argentinians have always saved money in dollars so we all have dollars, he then proceed to tell me there is no better country in the world, that nowhere else can you find such tasty food, specially the meat; after a while he stopped talking and asked me: so what about your country ?(I am from Canada) and then he said: If I have to guess your country is as advanced as Argentina right?
All this made me doubt all the news about Argentina, was he speaking the truth? Or was he so brainwashed, probably from a rich minority unaffected by the country's Crysis?

Tagyhag

I will always remember a conversation I had with an Argentinian couple 2 yars ago while I was vacationing in a resort, they were telling me how great the country was doing which is so a stark contrast from I have read, I asked them about the foreign currency control and the economy in general and the guys just said: blah that foreign currency control doesn't affect us! We Argentinians have always saved money in dollars so we all have dollars, he then proceed to tell me there is no better country in the world, that nowhere else can you find such tasty food, specially the meat; after a while he stopped talking and asked me: so what about your country ?(I am from Canada) and then he said: If I have to guess your country is as advanced as Argentina right?
All this made me doubt all the news about Argentina, was he speaking the truth? Or was he so brainwashed, probably from a rich minority unaffected by the country's Crysis?

Actually Crysis is from Germany.
Sorry sorry I had to :p

My neighbors are Argentinian and they're always talking bad about the president and their politics, but when they have people coming over for vacation who make far less per year, it's crazy to see how nationalistic their relatives are. I can always tell when my neighbors struggle to not say anything bad about the country when they come (I assume there's just no reason to instigate anything). My relatives from Japan are the same way, they don't recognize that there's an age/gender equality problem in the country.

Can't disagree with the food though! It's a cornucopia of the best foods Latin America and Europe have to offer.

To be fair, every country has its share of people who think it's the best by a country mile, especially here in the US. It's all about being educated and open minded. Obviously not everyone in Argentina is going to be like the one couple that you met.

Elchele

I think the problems have gotten worse recently, specially the economics. But still, Argentina is a really beautiful and unique country, specially compared to the rest of Latin America. People here actually have money to go on vacations every year, something incredible for me coming from a Central American country where just the high class could go on vacations.

Obviously the country is very badly managed. I can't blame all on Cristina, since they also are carrying with all the shit right-wing presidents (Menem) and dictatorships did in the past.

There are some great policies in the country, like having almost all the electronic stuff assembled in Tierra de Fuego so it gives jobs to a lot of people (with good pay) and makes the country self-dependent in some areas. They don't even sell iPhones because they aren't assembled here.

The inflation is fucking horrible, tho. Hopefully the next government will be able to control it a bit, at least, instead of ignoring it like Cristina does. Crime is also a huge problem, mainly because of the drug traffic/production. I think they should also put some new laws about immigration, control it a bit more to avoid so many peruvians, Bolivians, etc from coming in without a cent or a job.

In general I like the country, the people are great, the cities are beautiful, the women are fucking beautiful, food is great, the whole culture is amazing, but the country is badly administrated.

Madness

I honestly think iranian agents or something among those lines killed him. It would be weird for the government to do it, it was way too obvious and could only harm their image even more

What does it do to their image if Iran, one of the more poorer nations in the middle east, crippled by sanctions, and watched by the US/Israel like a hawk, is able to get its agents into Argentina, assassinate a prosecutor who was about to present his evidence before a high level trial that supposedly would shed light on Argentinian collusion during a bombing? It's simple, the government had him killed. They probably paid off a low level policeman or security agent to do it, and that's that. It's happened all over the world.

What does it do to their image if Iran, one of the more poorer nations in the middle east, crippled by sanctions, and watched by the US/Israel like a hawk, is able to get its agents into Argentina, assassinate a prosecutor who was about to present his evidence before a high level trial that supposedly would shed light on Argentinian collusion during a bombing? It's simple, the government had him killed. They probably paid off a low level policeman or security agent to do it, and that's that. It's happened all over the world.

Iran's supposed poverty has not stopped it from sending billions in aid to prop up the Syrian regime, hold massive influence in Iraq and Lebanon and supporting Shi'ites like the ones who took power in Yemen just now.

Iran has also had dozens of dissidents and former Shah regime members assassinated in Europe in the 80's and 90's, they have the capability to carry out murders abroad. Including the one on Shapour Bakhtiar who was under police protection at the time in Paris.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Iran is hardly a poor country, particularly when compared to Argentina. Despite the sanctions, it has a more than significant industry and some decent cash flow, not to mention influence in its region.

ElFly

Haven't been able to find an english source, but apparently they found a hidden door leading to his house from another apartment

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...locksmith-as-secret-third-entrance-found.html

If you're talking about Sergio Berni, he's the "Security secretary" (don't know the equivalent term in English). That means he's a member of the current government, which makes him an interested party in this mess. There's no way to know what did he do when he was alone inside the apartment, or if he tampered with the crime scene or stole any evidence.

Dang, I had just heard about it when I posted it. Dunno how good the newspaper I link here is.

http://www.buenosairesherald.com/article/180054/gov’t-defends-berni’s-actions-at-nisman’s-apartment

CFK is now claiming it was a murder and that it is part of a montage against her. Will post an english source when available.

http://cooperativa.cl/noticias/mund...de-que-no-fue-suicidio/2015-01-22/071212.html

She posed a series of rhetorical questions - asking why Mr Nisman cut short his family holiday to return a week early and make the accusations against the president, and even whether it was more than mere coincidence that his flight back to Argentina was on the same day as the Charlie Hebdo memorial marches in Paris. She didn't make clear why this would be suspicious.

Really scraping the bottom of the barrel there, huh?

sibarraz

Banned

Argentinians had a reputation in LA as the guys who always think way too high of themselves. The food part is right though. And I always had fun when I go to argentina, even as a chilean I feel great there, I don't had this impression of argentinians when I'm on their country. But outside is true

That being said, people are very poor there, the poster above said that they had lots of money to travel but that doesn't really mean that much, one year ago lots of argentinians came to chile just to buy electronics and other things because the inflation there is way too fucking high.

Also, Cristina is insoportable, but like Argentinian journalist said, 54% of argentinians are responisble of nisman death too

Carlius

Banned
lol gotta love all the hate for my awesome president. love her and argentina is doing a lot better than what the media is putting out. after 20 years in new york, argentina is my new home and i would never go back to the usa. people hate her cause they cant steal money anymore, the people with money hate her. just like the republicans hate obama. they cant rob people anymore, thus they hate her.

argentina is doing fine.

Elchele

Looks like the government is 100% that it was murder now. Wonder what made them change their opinion so fast

That being said, people are very poor there, the poster above said that they had lots of money to travel but that doesn't really mean that much, one year ago lots of argentinians came to chile just to buy electronics and other things because the inflation there is way too fucking high.

There are a lot of poor people nowdays, yes. But not as much as in Chile. Of couse people who live close to Chile would go there to buy stuff if it is cheaper, that's just common sense.

Don't know where you get "people are very poor there" from that. The existence of middle class in Argentina is the main reason why this country and Uruguay are different than the rest of Latin America.+

lol gotta love all the hate for my awesome president. love her and argentina is doing a lot better than what the media is putting out. after 20 years in new york, argentina is my new home and i would never go back to the usa. people hate her cause they cant steal money anymore, the people with money hate her. just like the republicans hate obama. they cant rob people anymore, thus they hate her.

argentina is doing fine.

Damn, Cristina even has bots in Neogaf.

sibarraz

Banned
There are a lot of poor people nowdays, yes. But not as much as in Chile. Of couse people who live close to Chile would go there to buy stuff if it is cheaper, that's just common sense.

Don't know where you get "people are very poor there" from that. The existence of middle class in Argentina is the main reason why this country and Uruguay are different than the rest of Latin America.+

Damn, Cristina even have bots in Neogaf.

"Villas Miseria" are something quite common in Argentina, or LA for the matter. The middle classes doesn't mean anything either, Chile, Peru had them too, and slowly Bolivia is getting one.

Argentina is no different that any country here, obviously when you are tourist you only watch the pretty stuff, same with Chile for example

Tagyhag

argentina is doing fine.

The difference between Obama and Kirchner is that Obama would have been impeached for the K-Money controversy. :p

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The fact that we do our best to avoid saving money in Argentinian pesos (ARS) should tell you everything you need to know :p

There are some great policies in the country, like having almost all the electronic stuff assembled in Tierra de Fuego so it gives jobs to a lot of people (with good pay) and makes the country self-dependent in some areas. They don't even sell iPhones because they aren't assembled here.
This is not completely true. They assemble the products indeed, but every single part is imported, which creates an extra cost for the consumer.

argentina is doing fine.
Dude, c'mon. Don't tell me you truly believe this BS.

Plus, you're also forgetting that she became even richer after her husband became president. Who's stealing now?

Elchele

"Villas Miseria" are something quite common in Argentina, or LA for the matter. The middle classes doesn't mean anything either, Chile, Peru had them too, and slowly Bolivia is getting one.

Argentina is no different that any country here, obviously when you are tourist you only watch the pretty stuff, same with Chile for example

Middle class it he most important part of a society to grow. If you think it doesn't mean anything, you have no idea of what you're talking about.

I have been living here, so I have seen the pretty and the ugly of the place. I'm not saying it is a magical place, but to say "people are very poor there" is absolutely stupid.

sibarraz

Banned
Middle class it he most important part of a society to grow. If you think it doesn't mean anything, you have no idea of what you're talking about.

I have been living here, so I have seen the pretty and the ugly of the place. I'm not saying it is a magical place, but to say "people are very poor there" is absolutely stupid.

Im saying doesn't mean anything in that sense that argentina and uruguay are different from the rest of LA because they had middle classes.

Tecl0n

Whoever writes the president's online status/postings needs to be fired, jesus.

Berni is not security secretary, he is the sub/vice. The real security secretary is a woman who has been away from public light since she was appointed.

Argentina is different because it's the only country in record that went from developed to developing. In the beginning of the XX argentina had the infrastructure of a fully developed country, so we had a head start on the other south american nations.

jett

D-Member

argentina is doing fine.

I lol'd.

Argentina is different because it's the only country in record that went from developed to developing. In the beginning of the XX argentina had the infrastructure of a fully developed country, so we had a head start on the other south american nations.

It's amazing how at one point the Argentinean peso had the same value as the USD.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Did you guys ever recovered from the corralito?
Kinda. People can freely take their money from the banks now, but I think those who had their dollars exchanged for pesos back then haven't gotten them back or any kind of reimbursement. I may be wrong though, as I was 10 when all that happened and couldn't really understand what was going on.

Berni is not security secretary, he is the sub/vice. The real security secretary is a woman who has been away from public light since she was appointed.
I think you're talking about the Security ministry, of which María Cecilia Rodríguez is indeed chief (http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministerio_de_Seguridad). Berni, at least according to Wikipedia, is in charge of the Security secretary (http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergio_Berni). As far as I know, they are different things.

Elchele

Can you elaborate on this?, do you mean different better?.

Yes. The huge majority of countries in Latin America are 1-3% super rich high class, then you have different levels of poor people. Middle class are a very small percentage.

edit: double post, sorry.

Tecl0n

I think you're talking about the Security ministry, of which María Cecilia Rodríguez is indeed chief (http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministerio_de_Seguridad). Berni, at least according to Wikipedia, is in charge of the Security secretary (http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergio_Berni). As far as I know, they are different things.

oh boy i've been spouting wrong info for a week now.

It's amazing how at one point the Argentinean peso had the same value as the USD.

If you are talking about the 90's that was a bloated convertion rate that took all of the country's reserves and an insane amount of debt to maintain

Beardz

I spent 2 weeks in Buenos Aires, most of the time I was in Puerto Madero, beautiful part of the town, but also I went to another not so good parts of the city, overall was a great experience.

With all the people we talked, 100% of them hated Cristina, they talked about how bad the economy was, a lot of poverty and stuff like that. One taxi driver even told us about his "sick" daughter, basically he was telling us that story to get money from us. I noticed a lot of graffiti against the government. There were those water tanks near the Pink House and a lot of barricades around the place.

Funny fact, we were riding one of those double decker buses with no roof, we were around "Barrio de la Boca" when I see a kid (almost a teen) walking on the sidewalk looking at me. I don't know why but he looked suspicions, then suddenly he threw a big ass rock at us! I had to dodge that shit, WTF kid!.

jett

D-Member
do you mean in the 90s? Because, AFAIK, that was "artificially" done and Argentina is still paying the price for that

oh boy i've been spouting wrong info for a week now.

If you are talking about the 90's that was a bloated convertion rate that took all of the country's reserves and an insane amount of debt to maintain

oh.

I didn't know the details.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I spent 2 weeks in Buenos Aires, most of the time I was in Puerto Madero, beautiful part of the town, but also I went to another not so good parts of the city, overall was a great experience.

With all the people we talked, 100% of them hated Cristina, they talked about how bad the economy was, a lot of poverty and stuff like that. One taxi driver even told us about his "sick" daughter, basically he was telling us that story to get money from us. I noticed a lot of graffiti against the government. There were those water tanks near the Pink House and a lot of barricades around the place.

Funny fact, we were riding one of those double decker buses with no roof, we were around "Barrio de la Boca" when I see a kid (almost a teen) walking on the sidewalk looking at me. I don't know why but he looked suspicions, then suddenly he threw a big ass rock at us! I had to dodge that shit, WTF kid!.

There's a huge problem with violence and teen gangs in Argentina, much of it born during the previous crisis and exacerbated under the kirchnerismo. Some of those kids will blast you in the face for whatever change you carry in your pockets.

Kandinsky

Yes. The huge majority of countries in Latin America are 1-3% super rich high class, then you have different levels of poor people. Middle class are a very small percentage.

edit: double post, sorry.

Well you're wrong then, it is not the 'huge majority of countries in LA' at all like that.

argentina is doing fine.
I'm not sure how anyone can even begin to claim that argentina is 'doing fine'. It's a bit better in many regards when compared to 2001, but not by much, especially taking into account how much money went into the coffers in that period, there's nothing to show for the so called 'decada ganada'.

Cristina's government has been easily the worst since the return of democracy 30 years ago, yes even worse than anything Menem could muster.

People don't hate Cristina because 'they can't rob the people anymore', WTF dude? Cristina and Nestor stole most of their personal fortune straight from the Country. Sure, some of her fortune she made before she began her political career, but... while She claims she was a 'successful lawyer', most of that money they made from that period was from foreclosures, but that's nowhere near enough how much she has. She's corrupt, maybe the most corrupt president we have ever had, and with each passing day, with each new Facebook update she makes, the more I think she's the one behind Bisman's death.

And the K's sworn enemy is Clarin, right? But you seem to forget that Clarin and Kirchners were best of buddies until Nestor attempted to buy them and they had the audacity to say "no".

Argentina is different in that they slaughtered almost completely their indigenous population.
Just the other day, another Qom got killed, but no one is talking about that.

http://www.pueblosencamino.org/inde...bra-marchas-en-paris-ni-diran-todos-somos-qom

Neither Cristina, nor her allied Governors bother to give the Indigenous leaders a hearing, but even the Pope had time for them so maybe Cristina and co just hate 'those damn savages' or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom