• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARK: Survival Evolved |OT| Early Access to the Land Before Time

Ghizz

Yeah just crashed from server. Update should take 10ish minutes right?

And we need more people to buy EA and join us on the GAF Server! We're fluctuating around 10-15 people...with a cap of 70!

MGHA

I keep trying to play on the GAF server but raptors keep storming out to the beach to kill me. Names Gamuza.

MGHA

Still not sure how people are playing this even. It's pretty much unplayable on a 970.

Go into your nvidia control panel, click on manage 3d settings and on the Global settings tab, scroll to power management and set it to "Prefer maximum performance" Im on a 680 and medium runs at a steady 35-40 fps.

Ghizz

Still not sure how people are playing this even. It's pretty much unplayable on a 970.

I'm on a 760...just set everything to low and enjoy the gameplay....Graphics can come later! Dinos still look amazing regardless

EDIT: Is there no more password for the neogaf server? Doesn't have the lock sign next to it when I connect....

jocam_

Neo Member
Can anyone provide any detail on the base building? I guess the art style has me thinking something along the way of Rust.

MGHA

After patch, joining servers crashes my game. Im guessing those servers arn't updated yet?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I'm getting crashes as well. Array index 61 out of 35 out of bounds.

Local client says 171.1, GAF server says 171.0 - maybe another update is needed?

----

lol, on the female the "upper face size" slider only affects the left side of the face. Make sure you have that off or you'll get a minor dreamworks-face effect.

23qwerty

I'm on a 760...just set everything to low and enjoy the gameplay....Graphics can come later! Dinos still look amazing regardless

EDIT: Is there no more password for the neogaf server? Doesn't have the lock sign next to it when I connect....

Yeah when I do that I get 15 frames if I'm really lucky.

Go into your nvidia control panel, click on manage 3d settings and on the Global settings tab, scroll to power management and set it to "Prefer maximum performance" Im on a 680 and medium runs at a steady 35-40 fps.

Was already set to that.

JambiBum

I'm getting crashes as well. Array index 61 out of 35 out of bounds.

Local client says 171.1, GAF server says 171.0 - maybe another update is needed?

----

lol, on the female the "upper face size" slider only affects the left side of the face. Make sure you have that off or you'll get a minor dreamworks-face effect.

Might need to update the server again. I just patched and I'm getting the crashes now as well.

updating again now. Sorry, haven't been playing today.

edit - update done, should be up in 5-10 minutes. I will sort out putting the password back on tomorrow when I have a spare minute.

JambiBum

updating again now. Sorry, haven't been playing today.

edit - update done, should be up in 5-10 minutes. I will sort out putting the password back on tomorrow when I have a spare minute.

You can leave the password off if you want. It's not like we are being overloaded with people.

Xyber

Yeah when I do that I get 15 frames if I'm really lucky.

Was already set to that.

I was getting 15FPS when my GPU decided to not work properly and not clock up from idle. Enabling and disabling the display adapter under device manager will reset the card and hopefully it should work as it should after that. The game will close while doing this if you have it running.

You should be getting 40-60 (depends a lot on the area, time of day and weather) on lowest settings with resolution scaling turned down a bit on a 970.

Not great, but at least it's sort of playable. It's far from a great experience right now, but I still want to play it because it's fun. Really sucks sitting here with a 144Hz monitor and a 970 playing games on absolute lowest settings just to get close to 60FPS. :p

Raticus79

Want to enable the map location pointer on the server? I was wondering how that worked and I just saw that it's disabled. Enabling the third person cam would be nice too unless there's a reason you want it off.

JambiBum

Want to enable the map location pointer on the server? I was wondering how that worked and I just saw that it's disabled. Enabling the third person cam would be nice too unless there's a reason you want it off.

You can hit K to go into third person still. You can add map markers to your map by hitting P, but I think I'd like the map location marker enabled too.

Also they fixed an issue with an ini file that was causing fps problems. I'm back to getting 30 when before the new patch I was at like 15.

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member

i tried that, but i get a message saying "Access Denied Failed to apply selected to your system :(

Raticus79

Oh, ok, thanks

I'm going to be working on a base at the West 3 spawn. It's the middle left of the map. (40 lat, 15 long). It faces west across open ocean so you get a nice sunset every day.

Compsiox

Banned
So whats the general consensus for buying this right now?

I loved the DayZ mod, Rust, H1Z1, and even Nether in its own special way.

JambiBum

So whats the general consensus for buying this right now?

I loved the DayZ mod, Rust, H1Z1, and even Nether in its own special way.

If you can deal with sub 30 fps at times then buy it. It has a ton of content and is a lot of fun to play, more so to me than all of those others that you mentioned. If you can't deal with the performance issues then wait until they improve them.

Compsiox

Banned
If you can deal with sub 30 fps at times then buy it. It has a ton of content and is a lot of fun to play, more so to me than all of those others that you mentioned. If you can't deal with the performance issues then wait until they improve them.

Even with a 970 SOC SLI?

JambiBum

Even with a 970 SOC SLI?

SLI is disabled until Direct X 11. It's not so much of a video card issue right now as it is an optimization one. They've been making steady improvements in that department but it still isn't where it should be yet.

Compsiox

Banned
SLI is disabled until Direct X 11. It's not so much of a video card issue right now as it is an optimization one. They've been making steady improvements in that department but it still isn't where it should be yet.

Oh alright I guess Ill hold out for now. Thanks for the info!

Sarcasm

I am like 5 bucks to short and to top it off..steam changed my region to where I am traveling so I can't even use my paypal.

FFFFFF

Pjsprojects

Being early access does this mean it won't be in the Steam sale?
Very interested so if it's just worth getting now then I'm in.

BearPawB

Banned
So is this the new survival horror of the week that is only getting played because twitch streamers are also getting paid to play it?

Or is this any better than any of the other 10000000 early access survival games. And no it isn't automatically better because dinosaurs

Soi-Fong

So is this the new survival horror of the week that is only getting played because twitch streamers are also getting paid to play it?

Or is this any better than any of the other 10000000 early access survival games. And no it isn't automatically better because dinosaurs

Seems like many are enjoying it though. I thought this would have many more pages however.

When H1Z1 launched, it got a ton of pages here in Gaf pretty quickly.

The thing holding me back is the performance really.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

It is automatically better because dinosaurs.

You're right, it's actually automatically better because it's scifi WITH dinosaurs.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Server update / restart in about 10 minutes. Reason: Fix the food consumption rate (Reduced rate of food consumption by 33% as per 171.3 update)

UPDATE: Server is back up.

S0cc3rpunk

Unconfirmed Member
i use a gamepad and it works really well. I do use my mouse to do stuff in the inventory because it's faster but other than that I use gamepad for everything else.

Also the food patch. woo.

i'm trying to use my xbox one controller but doesn't let me :/ i heard the 360 is working good.

Comandr

Even with a 970 SOC SLI?

I have a 970 SLI setup and despite SLI not being supported currently, i get 30-50 frames. Generally always hover around the high 40s until I look inland.

Basically frame rate is not disruptive at all; its constantly getting better, and the game is super fun with tons to do. I'm level 23 and I haven't even explored 2% of the island yet.

Raticus79

The "ARK data downloads" setting should be disabled on the server. It's possible to bring over hacked characters from singleplayer otherwise.

Top Bottom