• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armband-wearing Nazi roams Seattle instigating, gets KOed, removes armband and leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venfayth

The point of punching Nazis is:

1) Punching a Nazi is cathartic and therapeutic
2) Fuck any idiot who thinks they can proudly be a Nazi
3) Teach Nazis to be afraid of displaying any kind of Nazi regalia or thoughts in public

It's not going to cure Nazis of their beliefs, but it will keep the enterprising ones quieter.

We're going to have to do something about the buffoon in the White House (or rather, golfing in Florida or whatever) before we see a decline in this ideology, I think.

I think there are a couple different things going on in here ... For me, I get the provoked response attack. I'm half-Jewish, I get having a swastika thrown in your face makes you want to lay the guy out.

What I'm not ok with is a coordinated effort to hunt the guy down and attack him. For me, that's a line too far.

Sure, I don't really think using social media to organize assualting people is a good thing. I'm also pretty sure it's not legal. But I'm not really sure if this dude got clocked because of Twitter or he got clocked because he was talking shit similar to what he did on the bus. Nor do we even know if the dude who threw the punch even knew about the guy before the incident.

I'm not too concerned either cause ultimagely we have an isolated incident of a dude with a Nazi band getting punched out. We don't have am epidemic. And to top ot off my issue woulf only be if the police just stopped enforcing the law in these cases. If people are gonna punch individuals wearing hate sysmbols and police are going to treat the assaults as crimes what else can we do?

I'm not gonna punch anyone but if someone weighs the options and chooses to punch a Nazi it's not like we can do anything else.

I really worry, that 5-10-20 years from now, that this behavior and behavioral mode of responding to things I hate with violence, will have mainifested itself into another form, like a boomerang.
Neat. You're decades, if not hundreds of years late on the response to violence thing though. Jim Crow, slavery, 'manifest destiny' against the indigenous people of America (and around the world). Or does your anti-violence creed only apply in regards to whites? Asking for a friend.

Any Nazi bold enough to show their asses get *everything* they have to coming to them.

norm9

To be fair, Nazi "children" ranges in age from highschool to son of the prez, so it's kind of a gray area in regards to punching.

SummitAve

Banned
Congratulations, you proved that punching a Nazi strawberry is counter-productive. Pack it up.

??? My point was against generalization of violence against arbitrarily defined groups. Not that I could find something that is nazi that shouldn't be punched.

Enzom21

You apparently know what to do, so what have you personally done to fight hate groups? Why did you skip over that question? I'm assuming it's a lot since you're telling people their business. Inform me.
I skipped it because it’s irrelevant. Unlike yourself, I’m not in here telling folks to hand hold nazis to more progressive views. Also, unlike you I don’t have a history of bitching about how racists are treated.

This reads like a comedy story.

Seriously though, I would have a bit of sympathy if he keep his head down. Harassing people while wearing a Nazi symbol is the opposite of that.

Maebe

On the contrary. I am glad people who are NOT minorities are upset about discrimination against minorities. Be it against people of color, creed or sexual orientation. What I was pointing out was that as a minority and as a person whose close circle is just simply more minorities, we NEVER talk about violence like this. Self defense, sure. But going out and punching nazis and other racists we deal with on a daily basis? Never. I just wanted to know if i have been living in my own bubble where we dont just go out looking for trouble.

I guess so.

How is anyone involved "looking for trouble"? Besides the neo nazi.

Briarios

God damn.

What could the cops have done in that situation aside from break up the escalation and tell everyone to go away? Freeze peach and all of that means he can't be silenced by law nor forced to take off his armband.

To say nothing of the white supremacist infection of our law enforcement that allowed a Nazi to shoot at people in Charlottesville and beat a black man and largely get away with it, but that's another story.

I dunno, break up the situation and tell everyone to go away? People here are suggesting he had to be hunted down because he was an imminent threat, so, yeah ... Do your due diligence before taking the law into your own hands.

But, of course, we're talking about two different situations here. The actual occurrence where he ran into someone that engaged him and the suggestion of the OP that he was targeted by antifa. The hypothetical bothers me, the actual occurrence, not so much.

Foggy

??? My point was against generalization of violence against arbitrarily defined groups. Not that I could find something that is nazi that shouldn't be punched.

ARBITRARILY. DEFINED. GROUPS.

giphy.gif

SummitAve

Banned
I skipped it because it’s irrelevant. Unlike yourself, I’m not in here telling folks to hand hold nazis to more progressive views. Also, unlike you I don’t have a history of bitching about how racists are treated.

Why are you attacking me, and falsely saying I have a history of bitching about how racists are treated? When all I did was share my experience and ask for yours?

Nepenthe

I dunno, break up the situation and tell everyone to go away? People here are suggesting he had to be hunted down because he was an imminent threat, so, yeah ... Do your due diligence before taking the law into your own hands.

But, of course, we're talking about two different situations here. The actual occurrence where he ran into someone that engaged him and the suggestion of the OP that he was targeted by antifa. The hypothetical bothers me, the actual occurrence, not so much.

Yeah, telling people to disperse doesn't make the Nazi take off the armband and shut the fuck up. You know what made him take off the armband and shut the fuck up? That dude pulling up on him.

I also have no real moral quandary with Nazis being identified on social media and hunted down, so to speak.

Agremont

I can understand the initial negative reaction to seeing someone get knocked out. I dislike violence too. But it doesn't take much to think past that initial reaction and realize that he got off easy. Also, a punch is nothing in comparison to his vile ideology.

Maybe it even knocked some sense in him. One can at least hope.

Neat. You're decades, if not hundreds of years late on the response to violence thing though. Jim Crow, slavery, 'manifest destiny' against the indigenous people of America (and around the world). Or does your anti-violence creed only apply in regards to whites? Asking for a friend.

Any Nazi bold enough to show their asses get *everything* they have to coming to them.

WTF are you talking about?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
At what point is a dude LITERALLY WEARING A NAZI ARMBAND while harassing minorities being arbitrarily defined as one?

Merc_

How many nazis have you punched and converted? Why are you here?

I'm here because I enjoy watching Nazis get theirs. I'm also not the person going through the thread whining that Nazis should be babied and have their hands held in order to stop them. So again, why are you here and not out there talking Nazis out of their hate since it's so effective?

jph139

We're going to have to do something about the buffoon in the White House (or rather, golfing in Florida or whatever) before we see a decline in this ideology, I think.

That's the problem though, isn't it? The US is not equipped to deal with the rise of white supremacy. The current administration is sympathetic on a good day and actively supporting it on a bad one. Local branches have been infested with it for over a century. Kicking out one guy isn't going to change things.

Talking Nazis down isn't going to happen, obviously, and mass violent action is even less likely, as the majority of the US is comprised of White Moderates who would (rightly or wrongly) see an extermination OF the far-right and BY the far-right as equally reprehensible.

Which leaves us with moderate, individual violence, like this dude getting punched. Which is useful in stopping one instance of violence, useless in stemming the tide of the larger movement, and illegal regardless.

What we NEED to do is address the problem legislatively, getting the mandate of the collective citizenry to harshly condemn public acts of hate. We NEED to reform the law enforcement and justice department to make it less likely to protect hateful ideologies. We NEED to give a voice to the people being victimized by Nazis rather than having them represented by right-wing politicians that are actively working against them.

Which is, of course, significantly harder than just punching guys, one by one, and hoping they get scared off. You can watch the whackamole all day and tweet about violence being the only language of the oppressed, but even if you truly think it's a moral right, and I don't, it's not a practical solution.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
While i certainly don't feel bad for a Nazi that was harassing people getting clocked, the mob mentality of people online searching someone out and tracking them down to attack them is a slippery slope i feel.

What's to stop any group from adopting something like this to go after someone that they don't like, or who happens to believe something differently than they do? Once word spreads of what really happened in this case, the dude would possibly have a case at suing someone for tracking him down and attacking him. I mean the evidence is everywhere in the Tweets. Again, don't feel bad for the guy, but there's alot more to think about here.

This guy is wearing an armband that has been a symbol for an idealogy that embraces genocide. Perhaps a nice sunday afternoon chat in the park will fix this thing right up.

SummitAve

Banned
ARBITRARILY. DEFINED. GROUPS.

giphy.gif

Lots of hate groups use nazi symbols, and believe it or not they don't all believe in the same things. There is no nuance generalizing them. To my point, how does one draw lines for those that are products of their environment and those that are not?

Nepenthe

The slippery slope doesn't really work because there is no equivalence in hunting down a Nazi for harassing the minorities he wants to kill and hunting down a black man for being born with too high a melanin expression for some people's liking.

You might as well ask why it's okay to shoot the guy breaking into your house and not the toddler riding a bike on the sidewalk.

You know when you say slippery slope, you're no different from the right wing moralists who go on about hypothetical concerns and build up strawmen for their arguments rather than focus on what actually happened.

Manu

While i certainly don't feel bad for a Nazi that was harassing people getting clocked, the mob mentality of people online searching someone out and tracking them down to attack them is a slippery slope i feel.

What's to stop any group from adopting something like this to go after someone that they don't like, or who happens to believe something differently than they do? Once word spreads of what really happened in this case, the dude would possibly have a case at suing someone for tracking him down and attacking him. I mean the evidence is everywhere in the Tweets. Again, don't feel bad for the guy, but there's alot more to think about here.

Um, you mean like racists and hate groups have done for a long time now?

Lol. If we actually had hate speech laws like Europe and Canada we most likely wouldn't have Nazis parading around in the streets killing people and fascists in the White House right now.
Lol. Because Europe is a racist free utopia with absolutely zero political violence.
The Constitution is an archaic document made by a bunch of rich white slave owners back when the country was just an agricultural backwater and the only mode of land transportation was horse and buggy. It is not infallible.
Not infallible, but difficult to change by design. But you have a lazy empty argument here. oh no it's old. So? Oh no some of the people who wrote it had problematic aspects. So?

This will not end well for our country. This is what the wealthy and the powerful want. A race / class war. Its the same shit, different century.
Unarmed Black people getting shot by cops who get acquittals in the court system is the usual order of business in America, but a Nazi degenerate getting punched is what you feel is the beginning of some great American peril? That's the breaking point for you?

WTF are you talking about?

You walked in here with your ridiculous thesis that responding to things one hates with violence will result in something bad a few years down the road. Completely ignoring the fact that colonizers have been inflicting violence against indigenous peoples, POC for hundreds of years. But now that Nazis are getting their teeth knocked in, it's a problem.

You'd have to be naive or flat out disingenuous to act like this is brand new.

tl;dr - your post was bollocks and you're being called out for it.

Ahh, the Nazi apologists.

Should get a nice swastika pic in their tag.
Agreed. No joke.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Violence is usually inexcusable, people.

All he did was wear a swastika, then provoke a giant black dude and call him an ape.

Usually.

Lots of hate groups use nazi symbols, and believe it or not they don't all believe in the same things. There is no nuance generalizing them. To my point, how does one draw lines for those that are products of their environment and those that are not?

No joke, can you step away for one second, pause... maybe reread a couple of your own posts before continuing?

Imagine it was another person.

Shaanyboi

Banned
If only there were some kind of easily identifiable iconography with symbolic weight with which we could identify these people...

And why do hate groups use Nazi symbols?

Are nazis legally allowed to shoot people in self defense when others punch them? That's where my mind always goes to when reading gaffers constantly and enthusiastically cheer punching nazis. You gotta figure they're the type to exercise their 2nd amendment rights at higher rates than normal, too. I wouldn't think about risking some shit like that unless I knew they were unarmed.

Nope you're not doing this.

You are seriously doing this?!

You are seriously telling us not to generalise hate groups using nazi symbols?

HTTP3d3dy5hbmltYXRlaXQubmV0L2RhdGEvbWVkaWEvYXByaWwyMDE0LzUyMTg3LVBpY2FyZC1GYWNlcGFsbS1naWYtbnhPTS5naWYlog.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom