• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armband-wearing Nazi roams Seattle instigating, gets KOed, removes armband and leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oh, I'm aware it's just I'm seeing users talking about the YT bullying part. Here's a comment from another YT upload a user responded:

Xtreme Logic
This is unacceptable. We don't know for sure the man was a Nazi. The swastika is also the Hindu symbol for prosperity, the only thing we hear him say is "they deserve welfare". This in itself does not indicate the man is a Nazi, hence for all we know this video could be a hate crime towards a Hindu. This is why we need to wait for all the FACTS. Even then, punching people for opposing beliefs is wrong.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Some of those "violence is not ok" posts though...

0ec90da3f0248cc5d507e8ad8c1bbb33--movie-tv-michael-okeefe.jpg

Can't live in videogame bubbles forever. The world is a shitty place and violence sometimes gets shit done for people who are getting fucked up by shit people. It sucks but that's the reality we live in.
Pretty much

ash321

I'm the opposite.

To do this, the guy has an obvious mental illness.
So if he wearing a nazi symbol he have an obvious mental illness
???
So all racist have a mental illness ?
Is the fuckers that shout "Blood and soil" and run over a women also have mental illness ?

He could also have been very easily killed by the punch.
Poor that fucker, maybe shouldn't wear a hate symbol in public. Next time maybe wear a "I hate N*****" sign. So social media can blame the victim more

There is a problem here, punching it away doesn't solve it.
Last time the whole world unite and shoot them till the fucker that instigating it suicide in a bunker, now we should have a proper conversation right ?

Mr. RPG

The "solution" to Nazism is to:

A.) Establish a civil front line that makes these fucks uncomfortable to show up like this asshat did today by any means necessary. Out protest them, insult them, report them to their employers and get their asses fired, and- yes- punch the fucks in the face and let Antifa do their thing. Make it so that being a Nazi actually ruins your life short of going to prison.

B.) Reform the police force, and by reform I mean burn that shit to the ground. We know there's a white supremacist element running through America's entire police force. We know Nazis serve among the "good cops." This isn't new. Let's stop pussyfooting and push forward with active solutions such as establishing independent boards, pushing for tougher laws, and yes, protests and violent actions because fuck Nazi cops.

C.) Progressives and their ilk need to stop inviting these fucks onto shows to "debate." Let's be fucking real here. No one goes into Nazism ignorant and open-minded. You're either on board with this shit or you aren't. Inviting them on our shows and podcasts and Twitch livestreams only normalizes their views by giving the appearance that they are worth talking to and have a side that's worth hearing out. They're not, and they don't. Fuck 'em.

D.) Push for stricter hate speech laws. The first amendment survived incitement laws. It will survive adding Nazism to that list.

E.) Republicans are clearly for white supremacy. Ergo, vote for the Democratic candidate in all levels of elections, even if your progressive unicorn doesn't get on the ballot. Seriously, what the fuck guys? This is literally the easiest thing to do and you keep fucking it up.

I agree with all of this, though, except the bit about punching people in the face.

phanphare

Banned
I'm the opposite.

To do this, the guy has an obvious mental illness. He could also have been very easily killed by the punch.

Instead of playing twitter vigilante people should inform the police, let them handle the situation and hopefully see that he gets some help.

This whole idea that all police are corrupt nazis is nonsense. The idea that twitter groups should be used to find and publish personal details is kind of frightening.

you should be thanking the guy then. if being a Nazi is a mental illness then this caring civilian was just delivering his medicine and making sure it was the proper dosage.

Man, stepping back into this thread and some people sure choose the strangest hills to die on. And I see that we're now moving to the mental illness excuses. Not sure why some people feel the need to defend people openly identifying as Nazis with the trite old line of reasoning that, "Well, they can't possibly be that kind horrible person without some sort of medical condition!" Newsflash, there's a good chance they are, and unlike a person who's a minority the target on their back disappears as soon as they take off their cute little swastika armbands and slink off into the sunset.

Theres been videos of people getting SLUMPED for YEARS!!!!!!!!!

One NAZI gets ROCKED and youtube becomes disney quick!

Wtf are these tech companies on?!!!

I'm the opposite.

To do this, the guy has an obvious mental illness. He could also have been very easily killed by the punch.

Instead of playing twitter vigilante people should inform the police, let them handle the situation and hopefully see that he gets some help.

This whole idea that all police are corrupt nazis is nonsense. The idea that twitter groups should be used to find and publish personal details is kind of frightening.

Stop it. You're insulting people with actual mental illnesses.

He's subscribing to a hateful ideology. That has nothing to do with being mentally ill.

Finally was able to see the clip. Pretty much what I expected. Like how do you not expect to get punched in the face spewing that garbage while wearing a swastika armband? People are not going to tolerate that shit, especially people of color.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
I was - I have been demodded as a knee-jerk reaction to someone not understanding my point, or not being able to tolerate it. That's fine with me. Anyone who knows me or has read anything I've posted in the past knows that I am not in any way a Nazi sympathiser or apologist. I am, however, a big believer in justice, and that means that I'm going to be against vigilante violence, whether it's against Nazis or not, and whether it's by police, random bystanders or Batman himself.

I thought long and hard before using those words (and before posting in this thread at all), and I did it because what matters isn't necessarily what you or I think about the legitimacy of their position. What matters is that someone has set themselves up as judge, jury and potentially executor in this case. And whether they're right or not is irrelevant. Because if they can set themselves up in that way, even for a righteous cause, other people with differing viewpoints can and will as well. You hate Nazis, right? Of course you do. All right-thinking people do. But there are people who believe that other positions are just as bad. And while it's easy to say that these people are wrong, that doesn't take away from the fact that they believe they're not, with just as much fervour as you believe that Nazis are wrong. And if this punch is justified, then they can feel justified in taking the same approach.

This isn't moral relativism. I'm not saying at any level that these positions are equivalent. What I believe doesn't matter in any of this - what matters is the belief of the people throwing the punch, or swinging the axe, or pulling the trigger, or whatever action they believe is justified.

In fact the way you get rid of moral relativism from the equation is by saying that no, the decision is not one to be taken by individuals; it's to be taken by a firmly established law. Yes, I understand a lot of why this doesn't always happen in the US. That doesn't mean that the 'right' approach is to turn to vigilante violence, though. I can see why it's tempting, and I can understand why people do it and support it (and even why there's a mob reaction against everyone who rejects it). But I can't condone it.

And for everyone criticising me for using the phrase 'political position' to describe Nazism, would you not describe it as an extreme right-wing ideology? Because that's the language of politics. Placing it outside that sometimes is a dangerous move, because it treats it like it's some kind of special case, and it isn't. It's an example of the worst one of the most unpleasant extremes in politics has to offer, and treating it as something separate makes it more difficult to say that other positions in the same part of the political spectrum have many aspects that are just as bad.

I respect that you had the conviction to post, knowing it could cause you to lose status.

I'm also very happy, based on the content of your post, that you are no longer a mod in a position of authority.

This newest post reeks of bothsides, so I'm going to move along.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'm the opposite.

Racists don't need a mental illness to be racist. This shit is fucking insulting.

FranF

Banned
This fucking Nazi deserved to get his shit rocked. Only thing that worries me is that they have the gun culture, the police and the military and we don't

Get armed or flee everyone. Stay safe.

I was - I have been demodded as a knee-jerk reaction to someone not understanding my point, or not being able to tolerate it. That's fine with me. Anyone who knows me or has read anything I've posted in the past knows that I am not in any way a Nazi sympathiser or apologist. I am, however, a big believer in justice, and that means that I'm going to be against vigilante violence, whether it's against Nazis or not, and whether it's by police, random bystanders or Batman himself.

I thought long and hard before using those words (and before posting in this thread at all), and I did it because what matters isn't necessarily what you or I think about the legitimacy of their position. What matters is that someone has set themselves up as judge, jury and potentially executor in this case. And whether they're right or not is irrelevant. Because if they can set themselves up in that way, even for a righteous cause, other people with differing viewpoints can and will as well. You hate Nazis, right? Of course you do. All right-thinking people do. But there are people who believe that other positions are just as bad. And while it's easy to say that these people are wrong, that doesn't take away from the fact that they believe they're not, with just as much fervour as you believe that Nazis are wrong. And if this punch is justified, then they can feel justified in taking the same approach.

This isn't moral relativism. I'm not saying at any level that these positions are equivalent. What I believe doesn't matter in any of this - what matters is the belief of the people throwing the punch, or swinging the axe, or pulling the trigger, or whatever action they believe is justified.

In fact the way you get rid of moral relativism from the equation is by saying that no, the decision is not one to be taken by individuals; it's to be taken by a firmly established law. Yes, I understand a lot of why this doesn't always happen in the US. That doesn't mean that the 'right' approach is to turn to vigilante violence, though. I can see why it's tempting, and I can understand why people do it and support it (and even why there's a mob reaction against everyone who rejects it). But I can't condone it.

And for everyone criticising me for using the phrase 'political position' to describe Nazism, would you not describe it as an extreme right-wing ideology? Because that's the language of politics. Placing it outside that sometimes is a dangerous move, because it treats it like it's some kind of special case, and it isn't. It's an example of the worst one of the most unpleasant extremes in politics has to offer, and treating it as something separate makes it more difficult to say that other positions in the same part of the political spectrum have many aspects that are just as bad.
I'm glad you're no longer a mod. Nazi's do not deserve a platform. De-modding you for sympathizing with Nazi's is not a knee jerk reaction. It's one that is long over due. That kind of irrational hatred does not deserve a platform. Your "honesty" means very little when you try to stand up for people in favor of Nazism.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
I actually smiled after watching the video. Should I feel bad?

nah

I'm the opposite.

Well he sure as hell had a mental breakthrough considering the cops said that he took the armband off after everything that went down. These types of dudes feel like they are covered under Trump's racist umbrella only to find out the hard way that the only one who gets away with that shit is Trump.

Sunster

I was - I have been demodded as a knee-jerk reaction to someone not understanding my point, or not being able to tolerate it. That's fine with me. Anyone who knows me or has read anything I've posted in the past knows that I am not in any way a Nazi sympathiser or apologist. I am, however, a big believer in justice, and that means that I'm going to be against vigilante violence, whether it's against Nazis or not, and whether it's by police, random bystanders or Batman himself..

lol wouldn't Gotham have been destroyed from the inside out by Scarecrow, thrown into chaos by Joker, and then nuked by Bane without Batman? But hey, as long as the rule of law is upheld to the letter.

i-Lo

Did mental illness sweep across Germany 70 years ago?

Every fucken time there's been a story about overt racism the excuse for "mental illness" shows up. I need these people to find me a study where "racism" is shown to be "mental illness" in itself. Otherwise, I find it disgusting for people to always use that label to dissociate the act from corollary responsibility.

Also, people bitching and moaning about violence, to them I say this (Personal opinion): Yes, there are better ways to deal with this. Look at Germany where Nazi imagery is unlawful (iirc). But in your god's country it's all about that "1st Amendment" which is all well and good but it doesn't mean that others have take it up the ass or look the other way. In the age of internet where these bigoted ideologies are reverberating and being amplified to the point where these fuckers are becoming brave enough to shed their anonymity like their bigoted idols without fear of recriminations, turning the other way is no longer an option. I don't condone violence but last time I checked NOT ONE freedom was won without physical and mental struggle.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Some of those "violence is not ok" posts though...

0ec90da3f0248cc5d507e8ad8c1bbb33--movie-tv-michael-okeefe.jpg

Can't live in videogame bubbles forever. The world is a shitty place and violence sometimes gets shit done for people who are getting fucked up by shit people. It sucks but that's the reality we live in.
Yep. Nazis should never be allowed to walk the streets displaying their horrible ideology. If it takes a few punches to stop them, so be it. They're the ones who decided some races and religions were inferior, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom