• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS debuts in Japan at 100K, nearly Tekken 7 + SFV debuts combined

gtj1092

Japan is a big market for Nintendo. I mean, obviously.

How many copies are you expecting it to sell in Japan 300K plus?

Just think NA will generate the vast majority of sales. If Japan is a large percentage of the sales just can't see the game selling all that much. Unless it's an incredibly slow burn or is bundled in the future.

heringer

I don't see how a causal party game beating out two fighters is surprising. This was to be expected.

bait.gif

Yukinari

Pokken also debuted stronger than SF5 did so i mean literally anything can top SF5.

I hope Arms gets the DLC support it needs considering Splatoon is out next month.

By install base ARMS did better than Splatoon. If there were more Switch systems out there it would have likely outsold it.

Higher install base doesn't necessarily mean more sales -- the Switch's install base is active as its new, where as when Splatoon launched, the WiiU was on its deathbed and definitely didn't have the full (however many million units it sold) user base as active players. By the time May 2015 rolled around, many WiiU owners could have easily moved on to a next gen system, which renders a user base argument pretty weak.

Well deserved. My daughter and I can't put our copy down. I wonder if this is also a case of franchise fatigue or the Japanese just not too big on consoles. I hope for Capcom/Monster Hunter World that it's just franchise fatigue and not Japan not caring about console games.

DNAbro

Just think NA will generate the vast majority of sales. If Japan is a large percentage of the sales just can't see the game selling all that much. Unless it's an incredibly slow burn or is bundled in the future.

Splatoon sold over a million in Japan. I'm not saying it's going to reach Splatoon level of sales but if it continues selling it will do very well.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

Yeah I think 400K-500K.

Oregano

Higher install base doesn't necessarily mean more sales -- the Switch's install base is active as its new, where as when Splatoon launched, the WiiU was on its deathbed and definitely didn't have the full (however many million units it sold) user base as active players. By the time May 2015 rolled around, many WiiU owners could have easily moved on to a next gen system, which renders a user base argument pretty weak.

Splatoon ended up outselling every PS4 game in Japan so the user base definitely hadn't moved on to a next gen system.

Vinnk

That's not always how it works. If every Switch owner had bought Arms, you may have a point.

I ABSOLUTELY believe that there are additional customers who would have bought ARMS if they would have been able to buy the system required to play it. It's true that this is not always how it works, but it IS usually how it works for popular software on heavily supply constrained hardware. Look at Wii Sports.

Impressive debut, I'm curious about NA numbers too. And please for the love of god cool it with the ARMS/LEGS jokes, or at least read the thread first to see how many people have already made those jokes.

Yeah it's at the 8 year high now. I'm a bit worried it might drop if the Switch stock issues don't get solved quickly enough, but I'm a happy investor right now.

Mark1

Definitely need to pick this up along the way. More or less completed zelda and mario kart at this rate. Wasn't going to wait until mid July for Splatoon2 and Sonic Mania/Mario+Rabbids in August

casiopao

Definitely need to pick this up along the way. More or less completed zelda and mario kart at this rate. Wasn't going to wait until mid July for Splatoon2 and Sonic Mania/Mario+Rabbids in August

Snipperclips bruhhhh. Go get that one too lol.

Madao

fun fact: ARMS's debut also beat the LTD of every F-Zero game in japan.

if a new IP can outsell those on just 2-3 days of sales, F-Zero will be dead forever.

Top Bottom