• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS Global Testpunch Thread: Let's see if this has LEGS

Sadist

I need to work on my movement lol

But overall a good first impression. The normal loadout works well, but fiddling with the other Arms needs more time. You can really do some serious using the right strategy.

Also people really love to grab.

Makonero

It started to click when I started playing like a boxing game and not a fighting game.

Yep. My muscle memory from Punch Out Wii motion controls kicked in right away. I'm surprised so many are having issues (other than connectivity--I have the fasted internet I can get here and I'm still getting kicked out half the time. Super annoying.).

I'm really impressed. Can't wait to play more of this with more modes, more characters and more ARMS. I feel like I'm getting used to certain characters already (Master Mummy is a beast! Love him with the faster ARMS!) and I can't wait to try out the rest of the ARMS users.

The Adder

Banned
3 for all are no fun

3 For Alls are GREAT. You just have to out think your opponents. Don't let anyone hide. Try to make your opponents start fighting one another. Those were the most fun I've had and I loved everything about this game.

What I've learned:
1. You can't beat me in a 3-For-All
2. You CAN beat me in a free for all
3. I am god damned unstoppable one on one
4. I cannot win V-Ball to save my life
5. Mechanica is my main.

Weird game. Volleyball is boring, 2v2 is so good! Looking forward to the campaign, it has potential to be Punch Out version 3.0 if The characters end up distinct

Strings

Stopped 45 minutes in, half and half with split joy-cons and pro controller. Have gone from maybe 5% interest to a generous 1% :/

Like, it's fine... But that's all it is, and this is the base that the entire game is going to be built on.

FFA is fine if you know how to switch targets, which is Up d-button or right stick.

ARMS is basically the boxing version of Virtual On. I imagine there's more depth in there, but I'm waiting for the rest of the arms to be useable.

Dynheart

Banned
No, but being dismissive toward someone who doesn't agree with you is.

I do not think the person is being dismissive, but rather questioning the rather weird statement. 1-2 Switch, with it's obvious production values, should have been a pack in title. Saying ARMS should be is really not a logical stance, but rather an inflammatory statement looking for a response: and the person got it.

Thanks for all the replies regarding traditional controls.

I loved the motion controls, but it's good to know the standard control setup is good for when I play in portable mode.

ZugZug123

Game plays great, servers are stable and I even found my main :) Went something like 10-2 with Mechanica. Still debating if I will buy it though, I am really no good on any fighting game

Will definitely buy all the amiibos if they release them though :p Nintendo can always find a way into my wallet.

Just adding: played for almost 40 mins in portable mode only. No issues with it at all.

Rodin

pro-controller is just me spaming buttons. not as fun as motion controls. 1 vs 1 is a lot of fun with motion controls.
When you start learning strategies and how the game works in general spamming buttons means getting your ass kicked, especially if you play against someone who knows what he's doing. I'm loving the depth, i learn something new at every match.

Cyanity

Banned
I feel like the motion controls will be better once people figure them out. Like, I still have no idea how to dodge.

Started the first half-hour with a winning streak and ended the last one with a mostly-losing streak, lol.

Regardless, it was great! Looking forward to launch. Machanica FTW

It's kind of hilarious how people are going "no depth!" when I can just apply basics from other fighting games and steamroll people, imagine with all ARMS avaiable and people figuring out the game. I do agree that 3-4 people Deathmatches kinda suck tho lol

77 points off one hour, not bad.

spelen

Game machanics are solid. Wish I could have a little more control over movement in the air and on the ground. Might have more to do with my lack skill lol. Also landing the special moves is so rewarding.

I Liked Min-Min's weapons, but Ribbon girls ability.

Helix seems to be the guy you use after you learn how to properly play, I looked like an idiot trying to use him and his weapons

NotLiquid

Starting to really get into the habit now of exploiting each arm as it's own separate mixup weapon. Throwing a Dragon arm to cover my opponent's flank while occasionally throwing a curve with the left to anticipate the opponent's motion. I've seen some of my opponents to some crazy things I wouldn't even think of like punching upward with their Dragon to provide cover fire from above which might be hard to prepare for. There's some incredibly creative usage of the ARMS here that I really feel like I need to get used to but has a breadth of potential.

Overall I'm having a shit ton of fun and I can't wait for all the content later down the pipeline.

Also 1v1v1v1 gets too much flack. It's fun as hell to take advantage of an opening much like Smash Bros and go to town on some unsuspecting players.

BossRush

I never lost a single 1v1 or 3 person free for all, I lost 2v2 because it's a garbage mode that sucks and I hate it. And v-ball because I didn't know grab was to set the ball for a spike.

I HATE that moving the arms is mapped to move your character, it makes the motion controls the absolute way to play the game.

Everything else is great. All the characters were fun except for master mummy

Kicko

So what are the general consensus for the motion controls? I'm seeing a mix of yay and nay here.

I never trust GAF's opinions when it comes to input methods. A lot of gamers here seem incapable of adapting and adjusting to new styles of play. It's like reliving the days of the N64 all over again with people swearing off the analog stick.

B00TE

Motion controls took a few matches to click, but they did in a big way. Will try a controller for the next test round. MAN, that was fun! I'm sold on it.

Top Bottom