• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS is about to outsell SFV. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sephi22

I think the reason is simple. Nintendo is a trusted company, ARMS had a great trailer and looked fun, and SFV got terrible word of mouth.

How has the release of a new fighting game fractured the community? Especially since it came out 7 years after the initial release of the last one?
I'm not the person you quoted, but I was talking to Irontriggor yesterday and he said the Pakistani SF scene is weak compared to 4 days now and some players have gone back to 4.
Don't know if it's the case elsewhere. Anecdotally I'm still able to find a lot of matches on PS4 USF4

I'm not the person you quoted, but I was talking to Irontriggor yesterday and he said the Pakistani SF scene is weak compared to 4 days now and some players have gone back to 4.
Don't know if it's the case elsewhere. Anecdotally I'm still able to find a lot of matches on PS4 USF4
Don't know about the going back to 4 bit , but yeah, the scene is really weak here. I entered the scene with SFV but got soured on the game pretty hard when S2 came out so even I'm not involved in the scene anymore.

It's basically him, and 2 other Paki guys that play the game regularly. Everyone else either plays KoF or Tekken or have just stopped playing for real life reasons (kids, moved abroad, etc)

Btw, where are you from, somewhere in the middle east?

ksamedi

Sometimes I wonder how much sense it makes to release sequals to already good fighitng games. Im a big fan of SF2 and know the mechanics. I bought the Switch version too, but I barely have any interest in buying 5. I guess relearning the same game with added abilities kind of turns me off.Id rather buy a new IP fighter. ARMS is fun because its a new take on the fighting genre and is very simple to get into. Thats why it probably will sell more.

Oh thats an easy answer

8QbG9jY.jpg

DAELZvoXgAAkTNs.jpg

if anything nintendo added more complexity into smash 4 compared to melee. upon release melee was shunned as a game on the level of mario party. its hardcore community just stayed on for ages and studied the game thats all there is to it.

i havent played for honor but i fail to see how this game is similar to arms. it is a melee game not a projectiles game. arms is more projectile based.

In what way do you think it has more complexity? Ultimately, wave dashing, shine cancels, etc in melee allowed players to craft their own combos and unique playstyles for various characters. It seems far more indepth than Smash 4, and competitive players also tend to appreciate that execution barrier, as it relates back to the easy to play, hard to master design ethos that makes these games popular.

As for For Honor and Arms, I think you're looking at the games wrong. Crucially, both of them have attacks that are thrown at the player in a number of directions, and its then your opponents job to respond to those attacks via evasion, blocking, or some form of counter. They both feature a very similar guessing game to one another, and even the meta is similar as a result, where faster attacks and characters are typically more prominent in competitive play because they are more challenging to anticipate.

Deguello

In what way do you think it has more complexity? Ultimately, wave dashing, shine cancels, etc in melee allowed players to craft their own combos and unique playstyles for various characters. It seems far more indepth than Smash 4, and competitive players also tend to appreciate that execution barrier, as it relates back to the easy to play, hard to master design ethos that makes these games popular.

As for For Honor and Arms, I think you're looking at the games wrong. Crucially, both of them have attacks that are thrown at the player in a number of directions, and its then your opponents job to respond to those attacks via evasion, blocking, or some form of counter. They both feature a very similar guessing game to one another, and even the meta is similar as a result, where faster attacks and characters are typically more prominent in competitive play because they are more challenging to anticipate.

See? It took ages for that jargon to appear. When Melee was released, it didn't exist, so people were saying it was a casual party game for kiddie kids who kid around being casual, but now we have all these terms which makes it complex!

Give it time and ARMS will get the same. 5-10 years from now, we'll be talking about how "ARMS 3 ruined the series because they took out the Terwilliger Tap and the Bounce Buffet, nerfed the Spark Twist and made Jamingo's Folly almost impossible to pull off. And Don't even me started on the new mechanics of Shine Spliffing. Ever since that came in, playing handsies in the mid game metagame became reliant on your knowledge of Frank's Maneuver, and he quit telling people how to do it after EVO disqualified him for trying to do an F-M in real life, killing two small dogs."

Majukun

sfV came out really barebone and focused on competitive laying and that alone from what i can remember..someone who isn't gonna play competitive online had little reason to but him back in the day

i have no idea about the state the game is right now..but first impression counts...

meanwhile arms it's ona console with relatively few competition..that's why nintendo games have such absurd attach rate.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
sfV came out really barebone and focused on competitive laying and that alone from what i can remember..someone who isn't gonna play competitive online had little reason to but him back in the day

i have no idea about the state the game is right now..but first impression counts...

meanwhile arms it's ona console with relatively few competition..that's why nintendo games have such absurd attach rate.

Wii u launch had tons of third party competition. They all bombed outside of Nintendo titles. That's not the reason for consoles at least. Not for handhelds either frankly.

MrCarter

If you can't see how much more complex Ken's animation is, then you are much more disingenuous than I thought. An increased framerate isn't going to give SF4Ken the intricate arms and hands animation of SFV, a more believable spinning motion, or the natural feet re-positioning on the ground.

The guy is clearly delusional.

v1oz

Bro wait till the next Super Smash Bros comes out! See how that outsells every other fighting game out there.

False. Neither of these games get a pass. The issue is that their issues are only a fraction of SFV's issues and beyond that, SFV is always called the "king of fighters" so of course it gets highlighted more than anything else. People wanna say "SF runs the FGC and has the most players" well shit don't get mad when people bring it up more.

People have constantly brought up the issues with other fighters, you saying they haven't means you aren't looking around.

LMAO. Are you serious? Tekken 7's console release got a huge fucking pass. Weak single player content, horrendous loading, online issues, Pre-order DLC character, input delay issues, and a lack of QoL features. Some of these are the same mistakes that SFV got crucified for but T7 largely got a pass for it.

synce

Would say there's tons of fighting games available on PS4 and PC, and not many on Switch, but I highly doubt there's much overlap between the Arms audience and the FGC

JimiNutz

Banned
One game launched extremely bare bones with its focus almost 100% on the competitive hardcore (the vocal minority).

The other game is a brand new exciting IP on a new console from a proven developer with a focus on fun for everyone...

Celine

Nintendo.

A little less provocative version:

ARMS is a new game on a brand new and popular console that doesn't have a large library of the game or busy schedule of releases yet.

Do we really need to explain this?
Reading your post I think it should be explained :p

Did people go out and bought Wonderful 101 en mass because there was very little new games for WiiU? No, the game bombed.
However in the same situation people bought roughly 5 million units of Splatoon.

The reason is that people won't buy a game that isn't enticing to them just cause there is nothing else to play on a console because today there are many other avenues that can provide you with gaming.

MrCarter

The outrageous and exaggerated internet hate parade and campaign against anything Capcom does in the fighting game scene is as powerful as ever.

Tekken, king of fighters, and injustice get a pass on every issue they bring to the table but people will make threads and spend hours posting about how sf5 has ugly menus or some animation looks weird.

That's what happens when something is the most popular in a genre, and despite the "hate" the real irony is that most people continue to play the game and enter tournies with the amount of players. Just look at EVO a few weeks ago, it was a massive success for Capcom with over 516K viewers tuning in to watch Tokido's victory - will ARMS ever get to that stage? Highly unlikely.

nynt9

List the major alternatives on the PS4 by the time SFV released. There wasn't many major fighting games at the time.

Someone already did that earlier in this thread. Injustice remaster, MKX, GGXrd, blazblue, USF4 and several other smaller titles were already on PS4 when SFV came out. At least let's not outright lie.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Someone already did that earlier in this thread. Injustice remaster, MKX, GGXrd, blazblue, USF4 and several other smaller titles were already on PS4 when SFV came out. At least let's not outright lie.

That's one major game, 2 niche games and two ports. Exactly my point. USF2 probably outsold at least 2 of those. Considering this is two years into the consoles life that's fucking nothing.

Funny how ppl conveniently forget that SFV has been released on platform(s?) that has an audience tens of times bigger than the Switch...

"But SFV has competition!"

Yeah, it's platform also has many, many more people, especially fighting game enthusiasts that buy those games. Swicch has under 5 mil atm I believe.

ARMS is just that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom