• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS twitter thread (?)

Souzetsu

I have all the times for the Testpunch on my phone's calendar to alert me when they start. I don't want to accidentally miss an event like I did with the Splatoon 2 Testfire.

jdstorm

Banned
That's a really interesting perspective and I like that you put a lot of thought into it. I do disagree on a few things though. I think the appeal of Nathan Drake's and the Joel's of videogames is that they're tapping into the typical age of the average playstation player, probably someone in their 30s with kids which is why older nurturing father figure protecting and guiding younger character are so popular nowadays, see also: God of War.

For ARMs though, the targeted demographic is much younger and meant to have wider appeal. So the face of the game is younger and has aspirations and dreams to be a top ARMs competitor. It makes sense to me that the face of the game is motivated entirely by competing since that's what the average player is going to be if they pick up this game.

Not going to derail this thread any further. My issue is less with Springman as a design but more with how the visual iconography points to the player being a goofy best friend vs being a typical everyman.

The Nintendo equivalent would be making Smash Bros for the first time and putting Waluigi front and center. Waluigi is a perfectly fine character design, but he doesnt represent the everyperson in the way Mario does.

Springman's design also pales a bit in comparison to how well Twintelle, Minmin, Helix, Ribon Girl, Mechanica and Master Mummy manage to blend similar Retro Americana inspired elements with the modern in a much more interesting way. However that is probably best left for another thread.

For instance analysing how MinMin manages to the blend the girl next door asthetics of Gidget (Gidget 1959) and an extreme athletic look of Faith Conners (Mirrors Edge 2008) with a modern take on the 90s Nickelodeon colour palate as seen in Splatoon is fantastic and worth discussing. Twintelle is similarly briliant (Not trying to start anything with Twintelle fans)

Anyway. Lets get excited for the Testpunch.

Neiteio

Spring Man is a fantastic design.

Hey, do you guys think Helix tastes like lime Jell-O, or maybe Mountain Dew?

Switch 2 better have HD Taste

Not going to derail this thread any further. My issue is less with Springman as a design but more with how the visual iconography points to the player being a goofy best friend vs being a typical everyman.

The Nintendo equivalent would be making Smash Bros for the first time and putting Waluigi front and center. Waluigi is a perfectly fine character design, but he doesnt represent the everyperson in the way Mario does.

Springman's design also pales a bit in comparison to how well Twintelle, Minmin, Helix, Ribon Girl, Mechanica and Master Mummy manage to blend similar Retro Americana inspired elements with the modern in a much more interesting way. However that is probably best left for another thread.

For instance analysing how MinMin manages to the blend the girl next door asthetics of Gidget (Gidget 1959) and an extreme athletic look of Faith Conners (Mirrors Edge 2008) with a modern take on the 90s Nickelodeon colour palate as seen in Splatoon is fantastic and worth discussing. Twintelle is similarly briliant (Not trying to start anything with Twintelle fans)

Anyway. Lets get excited for the Testpunch.

This is absurd. Just say you don't like Spring Man's design, because justifications make little to no sense

Neiteio

Indeed. Game isn't out yet and I already find him very iconic. Dat hair!
Yep, Spring Man has this lovely sort of Tex Avery quality to him. Feels like something Nintendo would've had on an arcade cabinet in the early '80s, but modernized for the here and now. Great stuff.

Doorman

I sure as hell wouldn't equate him to Waluigi at any rate, aside from the fact that they both have kinda-long noses. All of the characters do just fine, and arguably most importantly, they're all instantly distinct from one another in color, silhouette, and movements. I'm super-excited to see what other concepts they might have in store for future fighters.

Back onto the main topic, given that they've been doing these countdown gifs with Helix for just the Testpunch, I can only imagine what they might have going during E3 week and the leadup to the game's actual release.

I wouldn't compare Spring Man to Waluigi at all.

I would say it's more like ... if Mario was front and center but had on his American Flag alt colors, random bits of Strikers gear tossed on and no hat and NO Mustache.

Like ... why you trying so hard to make a lil American flag blob look hip yet familiar? >_>

NEO0MJ

2nxPcrz

But like, replace the toad with Helix and the roadblocks with punches.

Neiteio

No idea why they tweet this countdown images so late. It's already less than a day left at this point.

qtC3NZB.gif
Hahaha, this is fantastic

Can someone make a post with all of the countdown gifs? I want to bookmark it so I can revisit it for fun in the future.

Neiteio

I guess to the laymen who doesn't know about their crazy alien gift, the ARMS just look like elaborate tattoos when in coiled-up form, lol

Tweet
"Looking at the number of people participating in the Test Punch...feeling deeply touched See you again tomorrow!!!"
DA1fCsfVYAE1Obd.jpg:orig

Tweet

"The performance is about to begin! Are you prepared!?"
DA3x_75U0AAlOoU.jpg:orig

Tweet
"Thank you all for your time this early in the morning!! The next round begins tonight at 9PM JST!"
DA4EPH0UAAAfMKR.jpg:orig

finally translated? okay.
For fighter profile comparison. japanese version translation.
http://nintendoeverything.com/arms-updated-character-profiles/

Ribbon Girl
Weight: As much as my fans love me!
Weight No comment

Min Min
Weight: I’m on a diet…
Weight Unimportant

both versions refuse to say their weight but the Japanese profile does it in a bit more charming way. no big deal or anything.

Mintendo Noodle House
isn't that perfect for the upcoming nintendo theme park? do it nintendo !

Also more tweets

特バネです! ファイターを選ぶとき、Lスティックを押し込みながら上下左右に入れて、Aボタンを押すと、ファイターの色を変えられます! 今夜21時のウデだめしで、おためしください!!

https://twitter.com/ARMS_Cobutter/status/868724199665262592

ダウンしたら、Joy-Conの向く方へ起き上がります!追撃を回避しましょう!!

https://twitter.com/ARMS_Cobutter/status/868738884749844481

new art

のびーるウデだめし、おつかれさまでした!いい汗かきましたか? 来週は一部ルールを変更して開催します!お楽しみに~ ・開催日:6/3(土)、4(日) ・開催時間:9:00~9:59、21:00~21:59、27:00~27:59

https://twitter.com/ARMS_Cobutter/status/868918482938638336

----------------------

6/3(土)・4(日)の「のびーるウデだめし」では、「バスケット」も遊べます! のびーる両ウデで、相手をゴールに叩きこめ!!
https://twitter.com/ARMS_Cobutter/status/869139348893048834

6/3(土)・4(日)の「のびーるウデだめし」では、「マトアテ」もプレイ可能! マトも相手も...まとめてぶっ叩け!!
https://twitter.com/ARMS_Cobutter/status/869139660336898048

two video clips of Hoops and Skillshot next ,
two mini-games playable in the second round of Global Testpunch sessions;

---------------------
and finally.

ARMS協会が分析した結果、「ウデだめし前半戦」で特に人気のあった2人が判明しました!第1位がニンジャラ、僅差で2位にミェンミェン、という結果でした!パチパチ~ ただARMS協会によると、勝率1位は他に譲ったようです...続報をまて!

https://twitter.com/ARMS_Cobutter/status/869161666922938368

a video clip of Ninjara and Min Min, which were the two most popular characters during the first batch of sessions of the Global Testpunch.

translations by :
http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/a...s-official-twitter-account-may-29th-june-4th/

apparently. Ninjara was number 1 with Min Min very close to him at second place.

Dystify

So do we know if that last "?" on the character select screen is Random, or one last character to reveal?

There aren't any other characters to be revealed. We get the 10 they announced. Future characters are added via DLC, but are not in the game as of now. It has to be a Random character selector because of that, I guess.

Neiteio

There aren't any other characters to be revealed. We get the 10 they announced. Future characters are added via DLC, but are not in the game as of now. It has to be a Random character selector because of that, I guess.
It might be the boss character, if the boss character is unlockable. If he's not, I could see him being a future free update.

Regiruler

There's the boss. It wouldn't be inconceivable that he's under NDA if there's a secret way to play him in 1.0.

But the question mark in particular is probably the random selector.

Top Bottom