• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS twitter thread (?)

LotusHD

Banned
If we only get one character in Smash: Spring Man

If we got two: Spring Man and Ribbon Girl (Though if they're gonna be DLC, perhaps Ribbon Girl isn't a big enough contrast to Spring Man.)

If we get two and they care about popularity: Spring Man and Twintelle (as of now)

If we get two and they don't want a character that's kind of similar to Bayonetta: Spring Man and Min Min

If we get three: Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, and Twintelle (Min Min if they care about the above)

I mean we already have Bayonetta.

We don't need a similar character...

I mean, it's not like Smash Bros. isn't known for having "clone" characters and such, plus ultimately, they're really not that similar. Like there's the time thing, and that's it.

If anything I think Twintelle's popularity will probably let her be an assist trophy.

She's the kind of character Sakurai made ATs for. It's to let characters who are popular but not important enough to be playable still make some noteworthy cameo other than being a regular trophy or sticker or something. Characters like Waluigi, Dark Samus and Ashley.

Village

What's the story here? I thought Game Freak had a lot of say in which Pokemon got in and thought that they recommended Lucario.

Sakurai literally saw a sketch of Lucario and went " this shit is going to be fire"
Lucario wasn't done. IIRC remember him talking about this in a interview and it makes sense, there are some characters that he has to have seen before those games have even come out. That isn't to say every pokemon excluded is shit.

Sakurai knows better than to select that bait.

That's crap and you know it. the litany of fire emblem characters

I mean we already have Bayonetta.

We don't need a similar character...

They aren't really similar. Most notably, she wont use her limbs , or at least how i would do it. Bayonetta will actually hit you. Characters barley using their limbs facinates me. And it will be interesting to see

Village

Think that was Graninja, no?

I think it might have been both. But if its greninja, that proves my point because with lucario he was still design to be the it pokemon.

Greninja means he had a choice and he was like " this shit is fuego"

That sort of thing is one my favorite stories to hear about media when someone is like " here is my design" and the other person is like " yo this shit is fire, you have actually discovered fire"

If anything I think Twintelle's popularity will probably let her be an assist trophy.

She's the kind of character Sakurai made ATs for. It's to let characters who are popular but not important enough to be playable still make some noteworthy cameo other than being a regular trophy or sticker or something. Characters like Waluigi, Dark Samus and Ashley.
apparently important enough to get a crazy amount of merchandise including 3 seperate 3DS themes, her own whole sets in badge arcade, 2 official webcomics and actual physical merchandise ...oh and an April fool of an actual game :p

13ruce

Banned

But she is more popular than Spring Man and Ribbon Girl it would be a shame if those meh characters are chosen above her or others imo. Even Cobra man looks better than them.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
2tomW.jpg

https://twitter.com/ARMS_Cobutter

So good
Design is grate but the color scheme is top notch
Tooooooo Yattaman I love it

But she is more popular than Spring Man and Ribbon Girl it would be a shame if those meh characters are chosen above her or others imo. Even Cobra man looks better than them.

You do realize Spring Man is the face of ARMS. His face is on the cover of the game so he will be the priority going forward.

And no he's not meh as he gives of a more timeless old school design which can't be said for Twintelle.

Edit: Also I'm not hating on Twintelle as its great to have a brown skin female character. Although its annoying that she's only known by her ass. Please don't get me started on the massive amount of videos on YouTube only pointing at her ass regarding her design.

I wish people would stop shitting on Spring Man. His design is very good. He's the standard main character that all these games have. He's Mario. That's how you look at him and he has a great look to him.

I look forward to seeing him in Smash and not twintelle because of her ass.

Deku89

I would like to see all of the characters in Smash as alt skins, but I know that's not going to happen. Spring Man is the definite representative with maybe Ribbon Girl as an alt (if they are in Smash at all).

There were also these too images posted (talking about jumping/charging/dodging). I think the first one shows off the charge effects quite nicely.

Find it interesting they've been tweeting all through the weekend. I wonder if it was planned or if the reaction to the Direct got them to bring up the schedule a bit to keep up momentum.

Tweet 1

Tweet 2
The amount of little details on the characters is insane. I've seen AAA games running on my PC but seeing Nintendo finally getting to this level with their art-styles is great.

LotusHD

Banned
I would like to see all of the characters in Smash as alt skins, but I know that's not going to happen. Spring Man is the definite representative with maybe Ribbon Girl as an alt (if they are in Smash at all).

I mean, some have quite the unique ability, so I don't know why you'd want them to be just a skin anyways.

The thing with Spring Man is that he's only "boring" in the context of ARMS' roster. In Smash Bros., however, there'd be no one like him. No other character would fight with stretchy extendable arms.

I'd compare him to that of say, Ryu. In Street Fighter, Ryu isn't anything special in comparison to the rest of the cast, but in Smash, he's one of the most unique characters the series has seen, considering no one else on the roster has his special inputs and light/heavy attacks. It's the same exact thing with Spring Man. He could be Smash's answer to SF's Dhalsim.

Neiteio

The thing with Spring Man is that he's only "boring" in the context of ARMS' roster. In Smash Bros., however, there'd be no one like him. No other character would fight with stretchy extendable arms.

I'd compare him to that of say, Ryu. In Street Fighter, Ryu isn't anything special in comparison to the rest of the cast, but in Smash, he's one of the most unique characters the series has seen, considering no one else on the roster has his special inputs and light/heavy attacks. It's the same exact thing with Spring Man. He could be Smash's answer to SF's Dhalsim.
Yep. Also, Twintelle would feel kind of dull on the Smash roster. We already have Bayonetta with the similar physique, including pretty much identical legs, lower torso and pants. Not to mention the slowdown effect.

Plus, I want to see Spring Man fight Little Mac.

Regiruler

Given we're rather close to release and pretty much everything in the base game has been covered already, not going to update the OP until the twitter starts posting DLC-related information.
Tweet: Seems the stages for Hoops, V-Ball and Byte and Barq's home stage are all on a 'resort island' run by the ARMS Association.

DAazOQ7XoAAbkRI.jpg

DAazVE5XUAAyWlT.jpg

DAazYE8XoAEpOPd.jpg

DAazZNhWAAAlrYb.jpg
What's with the giant fans?

TheMoon

Given we're rather close to release and pretty much everything in the base game has been covered already, not going to update the OP until the twitter starts posting DLC-related information.

it's an arena on a boat, a floating island next to a real island basically.

I vote we say screw the debates and hope that they go full FE on this series in the next Smash.

Give us 3 ARMS characters. I want it all! Let basic bitch boy in (not trying to hate, Spring Man isn't lame in the grand scheme of things. He's just literally the most boring basic thing about this game from a character design stand point. Sure, you can say the same for Ryu. But Nintendo owns this series and can actually grab more than one character if they please) But I'd also love Ribbon Girl and Twintelle.

That being said I'd want Twintelle above all else. I'm a firm believer that ST and ARMS will be big new IPs for smash and it's a shame if marketing push makes it so that what appears to be a clear fan favorite can't be played.

Yep. Also, Twintelle would feel kind of dull on the Smash roster. We already have Bayonetta with the similar physique, including pretty much identical legs, lower torso and pants. Not to mention the slowdown effect.
Didn't stop them putting in multiple sword dudes with similar movesets that they only diversified signficantly later in the series, two pink puffballs, two monkeys, multiple 'princess types' and so on :p Besides, outside of the extendable arms, spring man pretty much IS toothpaste little mac.

Dyle

I'm not entirely sure, but I would bet that the fans are to push the ball inbounds, so that it never goes out of bounds.

Da-Kid

I like these past games Nintendo has been given these new IP's their own language and lore. It would have been interesting if they were Androids, but them just being a cool mutation is interested too.

They're essentially Olympians.

It's also pretty funny how people can gain the ARMS ability at any given moment. You'd think it would be like the X-Men where certain people are born mutants...

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
apparently important enough to get a crazy amount of merchandise including 3 seperate 3DS themes, her own whole sets in badge arcade, 2 official webcomics and actual physical merchandise ...oh and an April fool of an actual game :p
Direct me to these webcomics please

Kouriozan

It's also pretty funny how people can gain the ARMS ability at any given moment. You'd think it would be like the X-Men where certain people are born mutants...
Maybe those people died, were genetically modified and then "they woke up" with ARMS.
The Direct mentionned they never remember how they got those, hmmmm....

Direct me to these webcomics please

:D
they're in japanese though, just to warn you and they're laid out funny so you have to read from top left to bottom left then top right to bottom right :p (also be aware that the first comic is two pages, you need to click the arrow at the bottom to see page 2 :p )

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/kids/151014/ashuley/index.html
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/kids/160401/band_brothersp/index_a.html

Translation of comic 2 (courtesy of glowsquid on the warioware forums):
Panel 1: Ashley Debut Live Hall
Panel 2: Waaaaa! (like a playful scream/shout i guess)
Panel 3: Barbara: Ashley, I'm counting on you!
Ashley: Barbara-sama, I'm being paid hourly, right?* (crowd cheering in the background)
Panel 4: If Ashley stars in my production, [there'll be] massive profits!**
Panel 5: (cheering)
Panel 6: ...
Panel 7: Ashley: I forgot... the lyrics... (audience begins to chatter)
Panel 8: Barbara: Oh no
Ashley: (zzz....)

worth noting the second comic also announced that Ashley has her own song called 'Ashley Fantasy' on the latest Band Brothers game :p

Harpoon

Maybe those people died, were genetically modified and then "they woke up" with ARMS.
The Direct mentionned they never remember how they got those, hmmmm....

It's already been established ARMS have been around in this world for millennia; this isn't the result of some government organization capturing them and doing experiments on them. Especially when Helix is already an attempt at artificially recreating ARMS.

Also I think someone would notice if it was only people who had died running around with ARMS.

It's already been established ARMS have been around in this world for millennia; this isn't the result of some government organization capturing them and doing experiments on them. Especially when Helix is already an attempt at artificially recreating ARMS.
It's almost like no one was even paying attention to the first 5 minutes of the direct with the number of weird theories and questions

Doorman

It's almost like no one was even paying attention to the first 5 minutes of the direct with the number of weird theories and questions

A lot of people hadn't been paying attention to any of the information or developer comments with regard to controls, online play, additional content, or anything else. Why start now?

Nia

:D
they're in japanese though, just to warn you and they're laid out funny so you have to read from top left to bottom left then top right to bottom right :p (also be aware that the first comic is two pages, you need to click the arrow at the bottom to see page 2 :p )

This is news to me. Put Ashley in everything. Yeeeeeeeeeees!

SalvaPot

Still no game tho.

Even Tingle got not one, but two games.

Neiteio

Ashley should get her own game where she travels through the Nintendo-verse and has to dress up like the characters in each world before finding her way home

Oh my LAWD, that Ashley Majora's Mask set is just... I LOVE IT
Me too :D

Ashley should get her own game where she travels through the Nintendo-verse and has to dress up like the characters in each world before finding her way home
Haha, cosplay adventure sounds fun :3

I'd rather just have Crazy Galaxy.
That too :p

So... I feel I may have pulled this thread slightly off-tangeant :p
To get back on track: It looks like Mechanica is next up on thet twitter with them mentioning that her jets can keep her in the air for 2 seconds tops (and apparently have enough thrust to easily fly with 545Kg weight):
https://twitter.com/ARMS_Cobutter/status/866775935256674304

I've actually always been a little dubious about the usefulness of her very limited hovering capabilities but I don't have hands on with the game. It just seems quite minor compared to Ribbon girls quad jump plus fastfall.

edit: and of course in the time it took me to type that we're already back on topic anyhoo XD

Neiteio

Bet we are gonna have a character with stretchy legs.
It'd be a little weird to have someone putting these gloves on their feet. Remember, every character is able to use every glove. :-O

But I agree, it could be cool. Like a breakdancing fighter with stretchy legs or something.

Speely

Banned
It'd be a little weird to have someone putting these gloves on their feet. Remember, every character is able to use every glove. :-O

But I agree, it could be cool. Like a breakdancing fighter with stretchy legs or something.

What if they walked on their hands?? :0

Village

You do realize Spring Man is the face of ARMS. His face is on the cover of the game so he will be the priority going forward.

And no he's not meh as he gives of a more timeless old school design which can't be said for Twintelle.

Edit: Also I'm not hating on Twintelle as its great to have a brown skin female character. Although its annoying that she's only known by her ass. Please don't get me started on the massive amount of videos on YouTube only pointing at her ass regarding her design.

Eh, I think you can change direction of a thing if people don't like it or don't care. And I don't think he's timeless, he's just dull as shit. It happens in comics quite frequently, you push who works and who doesn't you use less. I'm one of the few people who actually liked cyclops but i'm not going to pretend he needed to be the leader of the X men forever, people like storm wouldn't have thrived if they just stuck to their guns forever. All i'm saying is, it would be really smart if they went " this is the character people actually like " and went with it

Because he isn't timeless. He's new, he's super new. He isn't ryu, soinc, megaman, mario, whatever spring man and ribbon girl have no pedigree, and if they see a better response to Twintelle than those two, they could just push her more. I'm not fond of status quo pushing, i'm a fan of pushing because people are interested in something genuinely. When you push because " this person needs to be the face" that's how you end up with boring ass wrestlers no one liked being champions and no actual interesting change.

Top Bottom