• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Army to allow completion of Dakota Access oil pipeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

The Army told Congress on Tuesday that it will allow the $3.8 billion Dakota Access oil pipeline to cross under a Missouri River reservoir in North Dakota, completing the disputed four-state project.

The Army intends to allow the Lake Oahe crossing as early as Wednesday, according to court documents the Justice Department filed that include letters to members of Congress from Deputy Assistant Army Secretary Paul Cramer.

The stretch under Lake Oahe is the final big chunk of work on the 1,200-mile pipeline that would carry North Dakota oil through the Dakotas and Iowa to a shipping point in Illinois. Developer Energy Transfer Partners had hoped to have oil flowing through the pipeline by the end of 2016, but construction has been stalled while the Army Corps of Engineers and the Dallas-based company battled in court over the crossing.

The Standing Rock Sioux, whose reservation is just downstream from the crossing, fears a leak would pollute its drinking water and is likely to file a legal challenge to the Army's decision to grant an easement. The tribe has led protests that drew hundreds and at times thousands of people who dubbed themselves "water protectors" to an encampment near the crossing. ETP says the pipeline is safe.

apnews.com/87381a7d1abd4817a8991b0c8caea8ee/Army-to-allow-completion-of-Dakota-Access-oil-pipeline?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

Carry on protesting!

This seems like they're allowinf this to happen in the middle of the shitstorm that has happened over the last two weeks and hope it goes under the radar.

Wulfric

To be clear, the article does say the Army Corps of Engineers.

It's still a shitty situation though; haven't the native people been through enough already? Let them have this one brief respite.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
So I read a conspiracy theory that Bannon really wants to get protestors to show force against the authorities so he can have a televised display of cops cracking down in full military gear. Just to show what happens when you push against the administration.

In all honesty, if there was ever any truth to that, we're going to see it at Standing Rock.

I'm worried that those protests will be the first true bloodshed by the President against American citizens. Especially if military vets show up and help defend the protestors?

That shit is gonna be a powderkeg

As messed up as this is, I think violence against veterans protesting might be one of the only things that could break the camel's back right now. I hope they're all safe, but I also think it's about to get violent. We're potentially going to see an unstoppable force fight an immovable object. And hopefully it wakes people up.

Wulfric

Let's see the federal government not lift a finger when that thing inevitably leaks.

People will suffer (some already have) because an old fat guy in a suit wants more cash, environment be damned.

Beartruck

Time to start sabotaging construction equipment.
This. All they had to do was reroute a pipe a few miles, but they couldn't bother because fuck native americans. Lets see if they still feel it was worth it when a couple bobcats get torched.

KingK

I can't help but feel that this is going to end in a lot of bloodshed. I hope I'm wrong.

Stay strong protesters.

So I read a conspiracy theory that Bannon really wants to get protestors to show force against the authorities so he can have a televised display of cops cracking down in full military gear. Just to show what happens when you push against the administration.

In all honesty, if there was ever any truth to that, we're going to see it at Standing Rock.

I'm worried that those protests will be the first true bloodshed by the President against American citizens. Especially if military vets show up and help defend the protestors?

That shit is gonna be a powderkeg

And in true ironic fashion of the highest order, it will be perpetrated against the only true "Americans" that ever set foot in this land.

Isn't someone just going to blow it up or something crazy?

I mean honestly I don't know much about what's going on but are they building through native Americans land? If so to me that seems like it'd be an act of war. Who owns the land rightfully?

Tripolygon

Banned
This news just came at the right time. I've just finished a course on native Americans and how they were systematically decimated and had their land stolen.

This country has done some really really horrible shit.

I need to research which country has done the least amount of awful shit to its land and people. Probably Tonga or some other island country.

Now is the time for subterfuge and sabotage. Break their shit.

I need to research which country has done the least amount of awful shit to its land and people. Probably Tonga or some other island country.

Now is the time for subterfuge and sabotage. Break their shit.

The best way to hurt the oil industry is via their wallets. Things like the divestment movement are really effective. Also, do whatever you can to limit your fuel consumption. If you can go hybrid or electric do it and never look back.

I hope in about 10 years time I'll be able to afford to power my home and car with solar. When that becomes affordable for regular people, along with self-driving cars, the power and influence of the oil industry is going to take a huge hit.

NimbusD

Trump will absolutely send in the national guard. People are going to get hurt. Fuck trump and fuck republicans.

pr0cs

http://www.theamericanmirror.com/photos-fields-trash-left-environmentalists-pipeline-protest/

North-Dakota-camp-4.jpg

This news just came at the right time. I've just finished a course on native Americans and how they were systematically decimated and had their land stolen.

This country has done some really really horrible shit.

thats fake history written by brainwashed Ivy league elitist (((((("professors"))))))))) who are KNOWN globalists and Soros operatives.

Europeans aka Americans came to civilize and save the brutal barbarian cuck natives. FACT. believe me.

I thought I read somewhere that the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe was asking protesters not to come back, that they want this to be fought legally in Washington. But I dunno what else can be done at this point, since construction has already resumed.

pr0cs

Let me guess. Both sides are the same? Or maybe the protestors were no angels?
I don't recall seeing any pipeline camps left in such sorry state, mind you I've only been on a few different crews in my lifetime but both crews had a mandate to keep the camp clean and reclaim whatever land needed it when camp was pulled.
I just find it hypocritical, protesting dirty oil but it's okay to protest and leave a mess since they're fighting "the man"

Ephidel

Why is the army letting them though after they stopped it?
After all the protests last year, in December the Army Corps of Engineers said they wouldn't grant an easement allowing drilling under the lake, and the Assistant Secretary of the Army for Civil Works said "the best way to complete that work responsibly and expeditiously is to explore alternate routes for the pipeline crossing"

Those people have now basically been told off and told to get on with it.

Trump signed an Executive Order on Expediting Environmental Reviews and Approvals for High Priority Infrastructure Projects - basically, getting that shit done faster.

Then he issued presidential memoranda "Regarding Construction of American Pipelines", "Regarding Construction of the Keystone XL Pipeline", and "Regarding Construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline"

This is the wording of the start of the memorandum on Dakota Access
Accordingly, pursuant to the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, I hereby direct as follows:

Sec. 2. Directives. (a) Pipeline Approval Review. The Secretary of the Army shall instruct the Assistant Secretary of the Army for Civil Works and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), including the Commanding General and Chief of Engineers, to take all actions necessary and appropriate to:

(i) review and approve in an expedited manner
, to the extent permitted by law and as warranted, and with such conditions as are necessary or appropriate, requests for approvals to construct and operate the DAPL, including easements or rights-of-way to cross Federal areas under section 28 of the Mineral Leasing Act, as amended, 30 U.S.C. 185; permits or approvals under section 404 of the Clean Water Act, 33 U.S.C. 1344; permits or approvals under section 14 of the Rivers and Harbors Act, 33 U.S.C. 408; and such other Federal approvals as may be necessary;
The bolding is mine.

Basically: The people who previously refused to grant an easement and allow construction are hereby ordered to take all necessary action to review and approve construction, including approving easements.

That was just part i. Part ii told them to consider whether to "rescind or modify" their reports from December and whether to withdraw their intention to perform another environmental impact survey. Part iii told them to consider previous reviews and determinations as satisfying policy requirements and laws that require reviews to have been carried out. Part iv tells them to "review and grant" waivers, and part v tells them to issue any approved easements and rights-of-way immediately (after notice is provided to congress).

So basically, the army is letting them now because they've been told they have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom