• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development Season 5 episodes are "really close" - whole cast returning

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
http://deadline.com/2017/01/arrested-development-season-5-deal-brian-grazer-says-netflix-1201883740/
Yes, we have been down this road before, but this time it looks like it is finally happening: a deal for a fifth season of Emmy-winning comedy series Arrested Development on Netflix. Creator Mitch Hurwitz, Netflix and producing companies 20th Century Fox TV and Imagine TV had long expressed their full commitment to doing a fifth installment of the cult comedy. The main stumbling block had been signing the cast as all actors have other engagements.

“We are close,” Arrested Development executive producer Brian Grazer told Deadline at TCA, where Imagine TV is presenting two new Fox drama series, 24: Legacy and Shots Fired. “I think we found a way to create the compensation structure for all the actors and create a work matrix so they can still make movies and do other things and it will all integrate. So we are really close — I think within a couple of weeks at the most.”
Season 4 had only like three good episodes and they were all at the end. Let's hope they got better scheduling this time so that it doesn't feel like a bunch of single character web series

Blablurn

put me to the group who didnt like season 4 at first but liked it after watching it again.

if they manage to put them all together for season 5 in a good way, ill watch for sure.

I liked Gob's and Tobias' episodes in season 4, but that is pretty much it. The show loses its fire if you separate the its cast. Its an ensemble show and it should focus on that.

I really enjoyed S4 and its non-linear structure, I'll never understand the hate for it.

Yeah, i feel that way too. Though i will admit to being put off by the first few episodes, but by the time it all finished it came together very nicely. Its not that the first episodes were bad, you just needed the entire picture.

I liked the way they told season 4 in theory. They had some clever ideas, it just wasn't all that funny in the end.

The finale was especially disappointing. I thought all those seperate storylines would merge together for a big conclusion but then it never really did. The finale focused solely on Michael and George Michael and most character storylines were just left hanging in the air.

Neverwas

i liked season 4. i think it just set up too many jokes early on that didn't get a proper pay off until much later in the season.

King Kye

Banned
Please, just get on with it.

Season 4 haters irritate me. It was a great and innovative accomplishment given the production's limitations.

Weak AD is still some of the best writing out there imo.

I'm especially glad we got Season 4 as opposed to nothing at all.

y2dvd

Please, just get on with it.

Season 4 haters irritate me. It was a great and innovative accomplishment given the production's limitations.

Weak AD is still some of the best writing out there imo.

I'm especially glad we got Season 4 as opposed to nothing at all.

AD is my top 2 favorite TV show of all times, doesn't mean I can't admit season 4 was weak. Netflix needs to do two main things to fix next season:
1. Get the whole cast on the same schedule.
2. Keep the episodes at "network tv" length. I know Netflix doesn't have to abide by any length, but I've been trained to want AD at a certain length. S4 dragged a lot and can used tighter editing.

jobrro

Just rewatched S4 over the last couple weeks since the first time when it was launched. I know a lot of people didn't like it, but I enjoyed it even though it had differences to S1-3. Very happy to see it continue.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Just finished rewatching S4.

I'm not sure if I do or don't want this.

But I agree, ensemble or bust. As resourceful as 4 was, a lot of it was weak and disjointed. Never really felt cohesive.

Cipherr

S4 was so bad. You can't take an ensemble show like that and try to break it into single character eps. I have no fucking idea why they even bothered.

Season 1 and 2 were some of the funniest tv episodes I've ever seen, season 3 was pretty damn good and season 4 was a pain to get through. Hopefully the downward trajectory reverses course.

gun_haver

If I remember right, the three main problems with season 4 were

- All the worst episodes came up front, so a lot of people including me were very sceptical of it by like episode 3. It does get better in the later episodes, with 4 or 5 very good ones.
- All of the episodes, even the good ones, are too long and need editing down. The original seasons' fast pace was one of the reasons it worked - the jokes were made funnier by how they were constantly being tossed out and if a couple didn't work you hardly noticed.
- Probably the biggest one, the way the cast was rationed out into different episodes with only a few scenes of them interacting in a group and most episodes only featuring 2 or 3 cast members, if that.

So if they can sort all that out it'll probably be good.

Hazmat

If I remember right, the three main problems with season 4 were

- All the worst episodes came up front, so a lot of people including me were very sceptical of it by like episode 3. It does get better in the later episodes, with 4 or 5 very good ones.
- All of the episodes, even the good ones, are too long and need editing down. The original seasons' fast pace was one of the reasons it worked - the jokes were made funnier by how they were constantly being tossed out and if a couple didn't work you hardly noticed.
- Probably the biggest one, the way the cast was rationed out into different episodes with only a few scenes of them interacting in a group and most episodes only featuring 2 or 3 cast members, if that.

So if they can sort all that out it'll probably be good.

Agree on all points. The first half of season 4 is really heavy on Tobias, Lindsey, and George Sr who all got ho-hum plots. We basically don't see Buster until episode 14 (of 15).

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Season 4 was complete trash, not expecting anything different from this.

daninthemix

AD is my top 2 favorite TV show of all times, doesn't mean I can't admit season 4 was weak. Netflix needs to do two main things to fix next season:
1. Get the whole cast on the same schedule.
2. Keep the episodes at "network tv" length. I know Netflix doesn't have to abide by any length, but I've been trained to want AD at a certain length. S4 dragged a lot and can used tighter editing.

I agree with this - 21 minutes was perfect for an AD episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom