• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development Season 5 episodes are "really close" - whole cast returning

Status
Not open for further replies.

plushyp

Season 4 is highly misunderstood. It is the only season to actually live up to the premise of the series showing how all the cast actually has "arrested development". Perfectly depicted by demonstrating how the Bluth's have gone from bad to worse in all the time that passed between the 3rd and 4th season.

And even more interesting is how Michael turns out to be no better than his family when shown in isolation from them. He was just lesser of the evils and a classic example of the apple not falling far from the tree.

All 4 seasons benefit greatly from re-watching them.

Rewatched S4 last year and its actually pretty good.

Haters need to give it a rewatch considering todays political climate.

Its about to reach some MGS2 levels of prediction

back to the news though

HOLY FUCK YES I CANT BELIEVE WE ARE GETTING ANOTHER SEASON OF ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT

GOAT show. TASTE THE FAMILY MICHAEL

medrew

I into watched four or so EPS when season 4 first came out.

Just got around to watching it all a couple of months ago and after having some lowered/reset expectations and it was fantastic

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
S4 was a bold experiment and I can forgive it's flaws considering they had to work around a hellish schedule for the main cast. I think the re-edited version could be really good if it ever sees the light of day.

The main priority of this season needs to be getting the full cast together more often, it was natural for the story for the family to be splintered during S4 but now they need to come together to solve the murder mystery.

GeeTeeCee

I into watched four or so EPS when season 4 first came out.

Just got around to watching it all a couple of months ago and after having some lowered/reset expectations and it was fantastic

This is similar to what I went through watching S4. Watched a few episodes and wasn't really feeling it, but after a while I burned through the second half and realised it was actually a pretty damn good season.

Hopefully they can get the cast interacting with each other a little more this time.

Slaythe

Season 4 is like LOST's season 5.

A lot of bullshit and underwhelming episodes upfront, that end up paying off and had phenomenal episodes near the end. But everybody bailed on it :/ .

But the question is ...

Should a guy in a 32$ pink pajamas.... should.... should he ?

There are standout characters in this though.

Some worked better than others as the center of focus.

Hell, some worked better than they do in the ensemble cast.

Its totally going to be about Buster being framed for killing Lucille 2, isn't it?

You're a crook, Captain Hook.

As an aside, the hyperbole about Season 4 is insanity. Yes, it's not as good as the others but some are speaking of it as though it's awful, irredeemable television. It had some great moments.

itxaka

Defeatist
As a newcomer to arrested development (just started it a month ago, finished last week) Im happy that they are doing more episodes, althougth watching all 4 seasons together, 4th season is the worst of it all.

Im not sure if its the format of having focused episodes on characters or that it doesnt really work that well when the family is not interacting with each other all the time, but its lacking something.

I also didnt like how they turned michael over. Sure, he has always be like the rest of his family, even if he didnt think so and thougth of himself as better that them, but at least it looked like he was trying to be better than them. On season 4 his drive to do this has dissapeared and he seems to work only in revenge to show his family how much better he is at life than them, but with whatever means necessary, like his pseudo-morals (or thin morals) of the first 3 seasons have dissapear completely. His treatment of george michael is also very weird.

Maybe that its the point of it, once he is not living with george michael, he doesnt need to be "good" and goes full bluth, but that didnt seem too interesting to me.

GOB is still fucking hilarious and Tobias as well.

Enco

The show is good when the characters interact with each other.

S4 destroyed that. Lets hope this solves it.

Can't fix the hatchet job on Michael.

I guess maybe I'll watch. But it's effectively dead to me now.

What do you mean the hatchet job?

Did they ever release that season 4 re-edit?

I would also like to know this. I've watched S4 twice and it's merely okay (whereas I love the other three and watch them every year or two), but I would definitely give it another shot if it more closely resembled the structure of the others.

jadedm17

Season 4 holds up better to a rewatch imho; Watch it again knowing whats going on, it was great then to me. Looking forward to s5.

C4Lukins

Let's hope they can get the actors in the same shot/ scene this go around. All of the obvious green screen and actors obviously not being together during most scenes was super distracting. No point in doing it unless they can do it right.

I finished rewatching all 4 seasons just a few weeks back and was surprised how garbage season 4 was. I'm sure I remember thinking they were ok, but maybe when I watched it at the time I hadn't just sat through the previous 3 seasons, but with them fresh in my mind... it was rough.

So can't really say I'm that up for a fifth season. See also: new Curb episodes.

Season 4 is highly misunderstood. It is the only season to actually live up to the premise of the series showing how all the cast actually has "arrested development". Perfectly depicted by demonstrating how the Bluth's have gone from bad to worse in all the time that passed between the 3rd and 4th season.

And even more interesting is how Michael turns out to be no better than his family when shown in isolation from them. He was just lesser of the evils and a classic example of the apple not falling far from the tree.

Slice it any way you want, it wasn't nearly as funny as the older stuff.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

I agree with you, but it just isn't as funny. By virtue of seeing them independently you see how several of them simply aren't that good in a solo setting. I still like season four though.

plushyp

Slice it any way you want, it wasn't nearly as funny as the older stuff.
Never said it was funnier. Talking about how it was pure Arrested Development. It made use of a lot of dark humour which was actually a bit depressing at times.

I agree with you, but it just isn't as funny. By virtue of seeing them independently you see how several of them simply aren't that good in a solo setting. I still like season four though.
Yeah, it's hard to digest scum protagonists without a grounded/nice protagonist to serve as their foil.

Season 4 is like LOST's season 5.

A lot of bullshit and underwhelming episodes upfront, that end up paying off and had phenomenal episodes near the end. But everybody bailed on it :/ .

But the question is ...

Should a guy in a 32$ pink pajamas.... should.... should he ?

There are standout characters in this though.

Some worked better than others as the center of focus.

Hell, some worked better than they do in the ensemble cast.

I rewatched it, and while I thought it was brilliant before if not up to AD standards, the rewatch put it up there.

Tobias' episodes alone.

Can't fix the hatchet job on Michael.

I've got news for you.

He was always a shitty person.

cftrooper

I really enjoyed S4 and its non-linear structure, I'll never understand the hate for it.

I think most people hated it just because of how different it was. Sure it wasn't as funny as the first three seasons but I thought it was clever and done pretty well. And even better watching a second time. Not to mention it still had a handfull of scenes that had me crying laughing. Like the entire Getaway episode for example with the forget-me-now cycle which I thought was genius.

Never said it was funnier. Talking about how it was pure Arrested Development. It made use of a lot of dark humour which was actually a bit depressing at times.

Yeah, it's hard to digest scum protagonists without a grounded/nice protagonist to serve as their foil.

Apart from maybe the first season, Michael was always kind of a selfish douche, he just saw himself as the reasonable, normal one. For all the things season 4 did wrong, I thought Michael's character felt like a natural progression.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
More Arrested Development is always welcome. It's a great show.

I enjoyed season 4 but would like to see more of a return to the ensemble nature of the first 3 seasons with this one, as much as possible anyway. The cast work so well together in those episodes and the jokes flow thick and fast. It'd be awesome if they all commit to one last big effort and finish the show in style.

Also, Michael was always a bit of a dick. If his character in season 4 upset you... The writers got you good. I know because they got me. I was gutted after the first couple of episodes.

plushyp

Apart from maybe the first season, Michael was always kind of a selfish douche, he just saw himself as the reasonable, normal one. For all the things season 4 did wrong, I thought Michael's character felt like a natural progression.
That's true... in the company of his family he was like a shining star haha. Without them, his real nature is all the more evident.

Rymuth

And other times it can be completely right. It is not a good single character show. None of them can really carry an episode without the group dynamic.
This. So much.

Michael works when he's the straight man for his family. Put him by himself and he's neither funny nor likeable.

SoulUnison

Banned

It's always been too late for Michael - he's a Bluth through and through.

George Michael is the one that still has a chance to be saved, which I thought Season 4 was specifically trying to point out with things like Michael realizing that the "father and son story" wasn't him and George Sr., but him and George Michael.

Donos

S4 is is definitvely better on rewatch. Not very easy the first time going through but now i really enjoy it. Also like always with AD, you notice new details and references while rewatching.

SoulUnison

Banned
Season 4 was great, better than season 3 even

I would actually almost agree with this if only because almost half of Season 3 is the Rita story line, and I find that whole thing way too depressing and slightly mean-spirited.
The scene where George Michael shows Michael the video of Rita trying to eat the plastic fruit makes me legit tear up a bit. It's not funny, really. It's just deeply sad with no chance of a happy ending.

I would actually almost agree with this if only because almost half of Season 3 is the Rita story line, and I find that whole thing way too depressing and slightly mean-spirited.
The scene where George Michael shows Michael the video of Rita trying to eat the plastic fruit makes me legit tear up a bit. It's not funny, really. It's just deeply sad with no chance of a happy ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7t52KkmOMA

kevin1025

Banned
Just shoot the thing over a whole year, if that's what you need to get everyone or even a couple of them in the same room. Shoot some A stories and B stories at whatever pace you can and do a Part I and Part II to the season like The Get Down or The Ranch, if Netflix wants to have some product out early.

There's certainly ways to do this rather than episodes centered around a single character, that really hurt the fourth season for me (apart from certain standout scenes and an episode or two that were super fun).

Yiazmat

Can't get hyped for this after season 4.

Season 4 was great, better than season 3 even
8HmaF2W.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom