• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ars: Early tests show bizarre issues with Nintendo Switch voice chat app

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Am I the only one actually happy about this?

The more this phone app crashes and burns the better. The more negative press the better.

There is absolutely no reason this app can't work on the Switch itself. It's absolutely ridiculous, and Nintendo deserves every bit of negative press, rejection, and ridicule they can get for this.

I suspect the overwhelming frustration people feel comes from more or less exactly this happening over a decade and Nintendo still regressing to laughably archaic online infrastructure. The company projects a borderline insulting ignorance and apathy towards its customers, preferring to operate in its own unjustified ecosystem despite fairly compared to and criticized against its competitors.

After so many years the exhaustion of trying to communicate to Nintendo that higher standards are not suggested but expected just seems like an echochamber falling on deaf ears. For all the tiny accomplishments the Wii U made of its predecessor, here we have Nintendo's latest hardware re-introducing friend codes, convoluting voice chat, and requiring a poorly designed and feature stripped application just to function.

There's just no consistency and no reason to expect anything better.

Am I the only one actually happy about this?

The more this phone app crashes and burns the better. The more negative press the better.

There is absolutely no reason this app can't work on the Switch itself. It's absolutely ridiculous, and Nintendo deserves every bit of negative press, rejection, and ridicule they can get for this.

In what world could you possibly even think this?

That's why the console is still not region fr-.....oh, it's you again.

And look at how long it took. I'm sick of the praise Nintendo gets for finally giving into industry pressures after years of doing something completely different to everyone else, and even then, they're STILL pulling shit like that. Should we wait until 2030 for them to finally deliver a competent online service and try to claim they listened to fan feedback?

For years fans have been asking for competent online services and they've continuously managed to fuck it up or give us the online services but with some arbitrary Nintendo caveat. As EatChildren has alluded to, at some point they need to fix up and give people what is expected of them, rather than a bastardised version of what they think people want.

Speaks volumes that when Nintendo does something networking or hardware related, people immediately think "okay, that's cool, but what's the catch".

I suspect the overwhelming frustration people feel comes from more or less exactly this happening over a decade and Nintendo still regressing to laughably archaic online infrastructure. The company projects a borderline insulting ignorance and apathy towards its customers, preferring to operate in its own unjustified ecosystem despite fairly compared to and criticized against its competitors.

After so many years the exhaustion of trying to communicate to Nintendo that higher standards are not suggested but expected just seems like an echochamber falling on deaf ears. For all the tiny accomplishments the Wii U made of its predecessor, here we have Nintendo's latest hardware re-introducing friend codes, convoluting voice chat, and requiring a poorly designed and feature stripped application just to function.

There's just no consistency and no reason to expect anything better.

I think that's what baffles me the most. Nintendo is actually REGRESSING with online.
Friend code back, no join your friends button, no messaging. Everything through your phone... For a dated service.

Oh and... It's PAID. WTF.

foltzie1

I get that Nintendo places an extremely high bar on protecting children so if thats a factor in this decision why not include the functionality behind a paywall and require a $1-5 payment to unlock the way they did with the browser on the New 3DS.

If this is the work around because the Switch hardware is stretched thin, then I'm very confused because VOIP isn't exactly a high bandwidth/processing application.

kunonabi

Really disappointing, but not surprising considering Nintendos pedigree in online stuff.

I think we now need an update to this picture, since the smartphone also needs a Powerbank:
9TYrr9q.jpg

Oh My God.

I can't stop laughing at this.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I have no idea why this would happen or if it was reported but for some reason this app is affecting my Bluetooth Airpods. I'm not using voice chat just opening the app.

When I am listening to something and open the app the quality degrades and then eventually the audio starts going through the phone speakers. When I close the application and reconnect the headphones it goes back to normal.

Yeah this is quite pathetic. How much ressources would have been needed on the Switch to have these features run in the background? 1 gig of RAM? Less? Honest question.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
As soon as it launched...lol

Hadnt thought about that. Yea...they really didnt think this thru... I read this with the Hello Darkness My Old Friend tune

10/10 sarcasm cum laude if you actually knew the “The Sounds of Silence” title of the song by S&G and it was a hidden pun/very apt joke ;).

My friend at work defends this still as being a good idea... What a joke.

Actually i think it is a good idea too. Just that the execution at the moment is poor.

A lot of people on here seem to use the phone version of Discord, so the idea itself is pretty sound.

People are actually leaving it 5 star reviews on google play... like a lot of people?!

I couldn't believe it.... Are people really that bloody stupid nowadays?

I'd like Nintendo, the creators of this App, right here tonight. I want them brought from their happy executive slumber over there in Japan with all the other rich people and I want them brought right here, with a big ribbon on their heads, and I want to look them straight in the eye and I want to tell them what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey shit App this is! Hallelujah! Holy shit!

Synth

Actually i think it is a good idea too. Just that the execution at the moment is poor.

A lot of people on here seem to use the phone version of Discord, so the idea itself is pretty sound.

No. It'd be a good idea as an optional companion app, with the core functionality still existing on the console.

For every person using Discord on their phone along their console, their are far more people that don't and would likely rather not faff about with juggling the devices and splitting the audio streams.

They have no choice but to use the phone version of Discord because Ineptendo can't do it right on their own hardware. The idea is not sound.

eot

Banned
The adapter thing they're doing for the voice chat, is it basically a mixer that takes two 3.5 mm audio outputs and combines them into one?

That would be amazing, I've been looking for something like that for a long time :D

Mantrox

The adapter thing they're doing for the voice chat, is it basically a mixer that takes two 3.5 mm audio outputs and combines them into one?

That would be amazing, I've been looking for something like that for a long time :D

The dollar store says hello :D

Edit: oh my bad, it's less than a dollar, what was i thinking...
3_5mm-female-2-1.jpg

Mantrox

These are usually not reciprocal, they split one input into two outputs but they don't combine two inputs into one output.

I use these on a setup i have, but the difference probably lies on the fact that the two outputs are never on at the same time. I'm kinda confused on this one.
Egg on my face :O

These are usually not reciprocal, they split one input into two outputs but they don't combine two inputs into one output.

I use these on a setup i have, but the difference probably lies on the fact that the two outputs are never on at the same time. I'm kinda confused on this one.
Egg on my face :O

The Amazon Q&As for this one (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0081ZBNI4/?tag=neogaf0e-20) say that it can combine two inputs to one output. And someone in this thread also said this should be able to do it fine.

I'd encourage testing it first though, some people say it could damage your electronics.

I wonder if Reggie will read all the negative press and even sends these reactions to NCL, he has to right?

NCL themselves will see this. I don't want to have to count on Reggie for anything.

In fact, I'm willing to bet that NOA knew this was a horrible, horrible app which is why there were over a thousand 5 star reviews before the app could even be accessed (while it was under maintenance), and why there are like 6 different sections for feedback. But they couldn't do anything about it because NCL/DeNA had made up their mind about this.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Is anyone else having the issue of when you use headphones and open the app your audio automatically starts coming out of the phone speakers? I'm on Android.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I wonder if Reggie will read all the negative press and even sends these reactions to NCL, he has to right?

The best you should expect from Reggie, is a PR statement about why the way it works now is elegant and intuitive.

The dollar store says hello :D

Edit: oh my bad, it's less than a dollar, what was i thinking...
3_5mm-female-2-1.jpg

The Amazon Q&As for this one (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0081ZBNI4/?tag=neogaf0e-20) say that it can combine two inputs to one output. And someone in this thread also said this should be able to do it fine.

I'd encourage testing it first though, some people say it could damage your electronics

I'd really encourage not attempting to use one of these for that purpose at all. My understanding is that either of the two devices plugged into the splitter can attempt to drive the other, which can damage all of the equipment involved.

Crash331

I feel like nobody discussed the real issue.

I don't really care that the screen has to stay on and you can't switch apps. it sucks, but you can work around it.

What sucks even more is that, unless I am missing something, you can not play with friends and have matchmaking. if you start a Nintendo chat room, you have to invite all 7 people to play.

If you do the "Join a friend" thing, you can only join 1 other person, it's janky as fuck trying to join them, and you might be on different teams.

THAT seems like a clusterfuck and not the chat app.

I feel like nobody discussed the real issue.

I don't really care that the screen has to stay on and you can't switch apps. it sucks, but you can work around it.

What sucks even more is that, unless I am missing something, you can not play with friends and have matchmaking. if you start a Nintendo chat room, you have to invite all 7 people to play.

If you do the "Join a friend" thing, you can only join 1 other person, it's janky as fuck trying to join them, and you might be on different teams.

THAT seems like a clusterfuck and not the chat app.
In ranked you can team up with friends and always be on the same team, although I don't know if the voice chat works with that.

Man, I knew things were bad but I was still caught off guard by two things today that just blew my mind.

1) If you have the app open and you're in your car where you normally would connect to Bluetooth, it will activate the phone interface in your car. I was completely confused when this happened since we thought one of us accidentally made a phone call but we hadn't since it was just the app. Why the hell did they set it up in a way where the app is accessing phone functionality in your car?

2) If you ran the app, you cannot play music from other apps even if you've left the app to go do other things. I was super confused why I couldn't play music in my car until I realized I had to actively kill the Nintendo Online app that was in the background. It just completely takes over the audio path until your kill the app. I knew you couldn't do both at the same time, but I had no idea it was going to be that bad.

I didn't even discover both during the same drive. I discovered them on two different drives so the second one I didn't even consider was a factor because I had run into the problem with the app earlier. It's amazing how bad this thing is on so many levels.

Man, I knew things were bad but I was still caught off guard by two things today that just blew my mind.

1) If you have the app open and you're in your car where you normally would connect to Bluetooth, it will activate the phone interface in your car. I was completely confused when this happened since we thought one of us accidentally made a phone call but we hadn't since it was just the app. Why the hell did they set it up in a way where the app is accessing phone functionality in your car?

2) If you ran the app, you cannot play music from other apps even if you've left the app to go do other things. I was super confused why I couldn't play music in my car until I realized I had to actively kill the Nintendo Online app that was in the background. It just completely takes over the audio path until your kill the app. I knew you couldn't do both at the same time, but I had no idea it was going to be that bad.

I didn't even discover both during the same drive. I discovered them on two different drives so the second one I didn't even consider was a factor because I had run into the problem with the app earlier. It's amazing how bad this thing is on so many levels.

Woooow. Been watching videos about how bad the app is and hadn't heard anyone mention those. That's just incredible.

Crash331

In ranked you can team up with friends and always be on the same team, although I don't know if the voice chat works with that.

But don't you have to be level 10 to unlock ranked? That takes several hours. I've played 3 hours or so and I'm only level 6.

And then are league matches unlocked immediately or do you have to play ranked a while?

But don't you have to be level 10 to unlock ranked? That takes several hours. I've played 3 hours or so and I'm only level 6.

And then are league matches unlocked immediately or do you have to play ranked a while?
The highlights on league says you need to be rank B- to unlock it so yeah it takes a while. But I believe you can play normal ranked with a friend or 3 friends if you're both level 10. That's how it worked in the first game, just like how in turf war you could play with up to 7 friends in matchmaking, but not necessarily on the same team.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Nice. Nobody tested this app before release, I see.

Top Bottom