• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ars: Early tests show bizarre issues with Nintendo Switch voice chat app

It's still 2 points too high.

100% agreed.

Nintendo only sees numbers - it was the same way with Federation Force & other flops.

If the reviews are low enough, the backlash is big enough, and people simply don't use it, they'll be forced to admit it's fucking stupid.

Because it is.

Watching those 1 star reviews add up like

200.gif

NimbusD

The Switch is an amazing console despite Nintendo having no clue how to do online play. I just use the other consoles and PC I own for my online fix.

I love the Switch but it's basically single player and local multiplayer only for me. I do play some Mario Kart 8 online, but I won't bother using the app for anything as it's a complete disaster.

Yeah, I mean, unfortunately that's what it's gotta be. Means I won't pick up splatoon because that's based around online multiplayer. And I won't be getting any other games where a large portion revolve around online multiplayer as well. And some people here will be like 'that's fine'. I don't understand how it's fine to basically have a large portion of your fanbase shun important games in your library because nintendo doesn't know how to support the basics for it. I probably won't get fifa either now that I think about it, it'll affect third parties too.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
just put the stats in the game

From what we can tell Splatnet 2 is just a simple web applet too, so it SHOULD be accessible anywhere. It's again just limited because they want to push this app.

Yes, this was my follow up point. Again a feature that is limited (compared not only to the general standard, but also with the previous game in the series) just to "sell" the app.

For me it's like adding micro-transactions in a game for things that were included in the previous iterations.

Yes, the app is free for now. But all this is just the preparation for the paid service. It's the free sample. Maybe it's good that it's not really tasty after all.

Yes, this was my follow up point. Again a feature that is limited (compared not only to the general standard, but also with the previous game in the series) just to "sell" the app.

For me it's like adding micro-transactions in a game for things that were included in the previous iterations.

Yes, the app is free for now. But all this is just the preparation for the paid service. It's the free sample. Maybe it's good that it's not really tasty after all.

Well to be fair, if you don't pay for the online sub then you'll have no use for the stat tracking aspect of Splatnet anyway. I think it gives you the ability to buy clothes over the app so you'd lose that ability, but it doesn't seem like you'd miss much.

I personally believe Splatoon 2 review score should be re-evaluated to consider the awful app as well.

I wonder if all the Ign, Gamespot, and Polygons of the world dropped their scores, it would spur Nintendo into giving us an update on their plan of action more quickly.

atmuh

the idea of having to pay to see advanced stats (which I understand in this case is kind of irrelevant since you're paying to play online to begin with) seems absurd. I hope they don't go that route with games that aren't primarily online

Just curious, whats an honest rating you would give it.

Me? 1-2 seems fair. Just from the fact I even have to use it for voice chat to begin with.

Right now, it needs to be rated a 1 to offset all the 5 ratings. That way the ratings drop faster. So Nintendo or DeNA can see it needs to be fixed.

No way this apps deserves a 5 rating.

I haven't used it like it's supposed to yet. After I do, and more than just one sitting, I'll try to remember to post my score, if I get around to ever reviewing it.

I personally believe Splatoon 2 review score should be re-evaluated to consider the awful app as well.

I wonder if all the Ign, Gamespot, and Polygons of the world dropped their scores, it would spur Nintendo into giving us an update on their plan of action more quickly.

To be fair, I know that at least IGN already gave a preliminary score based off of not using the chat app at all. Is the app experience bad enough that someone would rate the game lower than if it didn't have chat at all?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Well to be fair, if you don't pay for the online sub then you'll have no use for the stat tracking aspect of Splatnet anyway. I think it gives you the ability to buy clothes over the app so you'd lose that ability, but it doesn't seem like you'd miss much.

Of course the big hostage here is the online play itself, but Nintendo kind of wants to hide that behind other small hostages. Having to pay for online is annoying enough but luckily the price is low anyhow.

I understand that the idea is that they provide as many features as possible for the people who play, but in this case the added value is created by removing things that were "free" before and hiding them behind the paywall.

Synth

And that's fair. Just seems silly to me that so many people would vote for something they truly haven't used yet. But that's fine. This app is not the only thing to receive this (earned?) treatment.

Well, I don't think it's fair to make the assumption that the 1 star reviews are from people that haven't used the app. With many of the earlier 5 star reviews, we could reliable assume this to be the case, because they app itself wasn't even available to download at the time. Now, considering how many Switch consoles are out there, it's not all that unlikely that many of these reviews are coming from people that actually have tried the app.

I also don't think it's really a requirement for them to have tried using the app alongside Splatoon 2 in order to formulate an opinion. Many people will have no intentional of playing Splatoon 2 at any point ever, however they will still be expected to use this app in place of basic system-level communication. In this manner, these ratings are for more than just "an app" in the normal fashion, but for a part of the Switch system itself, and it fairs very poorly in this regards also. Being unable to simply chat friends for example to decide on what to play today, and then arrange to get everyone together into a lobby is something that really should not even be in contention in 2017. This is functionality that this app really needed to contain, but doesn't, and it'll likely affect the ratings of a great many people regardless of what game they wish to play.

FinalAres

Oh, please don't feel like I'm defending the shitstorm that is nintendo voice chat. I'm just not a firm believer that 1 star reviews and 5 star reviews are ever truly accurate for an app or games actual performance.
I get what you're saying, and I'm definitely someone who steers away from 1 star reviews as they're generally meaningless.

But really I feel like it's fair for this. It's fundamentally broken, it's the FF2 of apps. Its heart might be in the right place and there are 'neat' ideas, but just about everything about the implementation is just wrong. Not even bad, worse, it's wrong.

They're hearing the backlash. I'd be surprised if they aren't already working on these issues

Skronk

Banned

That would be pretty petty. One of the biggest games right now is PU's Battlegrounds which most people play using Discord because the in game chat is a racist trash fire and that hasn't impacted review scores or the amount of fun people are having.

Mivey

I think Nintendo has understood that chat culture in gaming is just toxic and tries to slowly get people off of it by giving them a really bothersome version at first, and making it gradually worse later. Essentially it's a gradual detox for chat addicts.

catbrush

The app cutting off chat when the screen is off or minimized is not acceptable. It seems like the app was rushed out for Splatoon 2, and it's the only game which utilizes it in 2017. I will be very surprised if this isn't fixed like the joycon connectivity, Zelda frame rate and HDMI switching bugs.

In theory, I am not against voice chat and invites being handled through the app, though. If the companion app was only an option, 99% of people would not use it. The app being required will make it easier to schedule matches with friends who are not currently playing.

They should only adjust their review scores if their initial review score depended on the later implementation of a capable voice chat function. If they assumed for their review that there was no voice chat, then there's nothing to downgrade because nobody will be using voice chat.

So the fun they had playing it when they reviewed it, just disappears because of this app?

flkraven

The app cutting off chat when the screen is off or minimized is not acceptable. It seems like the app was rushed out for Splatoon 2, and it's the only game which utilizes it in 2017.
Does that mean there won't be any voice chat in NBA 2K18, FIFA 18, etc? Or do you just mean first party?

In theory, I am not against voice chat and invites being handled through the app, though. If the companion app was only an option, 99% of people would not use it. The app being required will make it easier to schedule matches with friends who are not currently playing.

So you are okay with them forcing an objectively worse solution because it means everyone will be forced into it together? Scheduling play sessions with friends that aren't playing has been easy on every other platform (Xbox, PS, and PC) without needing a forced app as the only way to voice chat.

Hubble

Reviewers need to re-review this game. The app and online gaming is a fundamental experience in Splatoon 2. There are many things wrong in online gaming with friends in Splatoon 2 that it's ridiculous. Go watch that 15 minute video someone posted.

Reviewers need to re-review this game. The app and online gaming is a fundamental experience in Splatoon 2. There are many things wrong in online gaming with friends in Splatoon 2 that it's ridiculous. Go watch that 15 minute video someone posted.

The app is completely unnecessary in playing online with friends. This has all of the same online functionality as Splatoon 1 did, the only things the app can do are additions to that functionality like voice chat and inviting friends to private rooms.

The app being this terrible won't affect people's enjoyment of Splatoon 2 if they liked Splatoon 1. It's a shame that they didn't improve the built in functionality of course.

atmuh

The app is completely unnecessary in playing online with friends. This has all of the same online functionality as Splatoon 1 did, the only things the app can do are additions to that functionality like voice chat and inviting friends to private rooms.
right, you still can't play turf war with friends unless they join you in progress once you're in a game and you can't play on the same team reliably. my favorite thing about Splatoon 1

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Can't speak for all reviewers, but saw the comments from one in response to a very similar suggestion and they said, despite their grievances with the app, it doesn't stop Splatoon itself from being a good game.

The truth is, it's the Switch system as a whole to blame rather than Splatoon 2 itself. If anything, the Splatoon 2 functionality, Splatnet 2, is the only thing getting praise.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I wonder how third parties deal with this.

Will FIFA use this setup or will EA just build voice-chat into the game itself?

Fifa has build voice-chat, but curently there's no headset working for Switch itself as far as I know, so what would be the point for that on Switch?

As the Switch app is based on Nintendo Account while FIFA uses Origin accounts I really wonder if they will bother with the app at all.

Justified

That would be pretty petty. One of the biggest games right now is PU's Battlegrounds which most people play using Discord because the in game chat is a racist trash fire and that hasn't impacted review scores or the amount of fun people are having.

That has nothing to do with the service being provided or availability.

SplatNet 2 is dependant on this app for in-game voice chat, and forming a party

spock

If the app is as bad as it sounds I hope it gets MASSIVE amounts of single star ratings. I say this as a Nintendo fanboy, they need to rework their entire approach. This is some ass backward implementation that should be burned started completely over.

jts

...hate me...
Fifa has build voice-chat, but curently there's no headset working for Switch itself as far as I know, so what would be the point for that on Switch?

As the Switch app is based on Nintendo Account while FIFA uses Origin accounts I really wonder if they will bother with the app at all.

Hate FIFA's built-in voice chat for 1v1 Seasons. It's just randoms with their headsets, most of the times obnoxious as fuck dudes. Can't even mute them.

There have been Nintendo Switch branded headsets available since the Switch launched (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5PB7VV/?tag=neogaf0e-20) so I'm guessing it will be possible to use with games that allow it. Since the headphone jack supports mics.

catbrush

Does that mean there won't be any voice chat in NBA 2K18, FIFA 18, etc? Or do you just mean first party?
Sorry, I was only thinking of first party when I said that. I don't know about those games.

So you are okay with them forcing an objectively worse solution because it means everyone will be forced into it together? Scheduling play sessions with friends that aren't playing has been easy on every other platform (Xbox, PS, and PC) without needing a forced app as the only way to voice chat.
Regarding game invites, yes. I believe it will be less convenient for hardcore gamers, but more convenient for people with less free time and don't want to be at the console until their friends are ready to play. When I want to schedule a match with a friend on PS4 I need to coordinate using social media first, or pray that they are online and notice my invite. On Switch I assume people can join directly from a push notification on the phone.

Voice chat, I'm not sure. As it stands, voice chat through the console, at the very least as a choice, would be preferable. I assume there are a suite of sub-apps that are coming in the next 12 months that will make the switch online app make more sense as a whole, so it's difficult to make a definitive statement right now.

flkraven

Sorry, I was only thinking of first party when I said that. I don't know about those games.

Regarding game invites, yes. I believe it will be less convenient for hardcore gamers, but more convenient for people with less free time and don't want to be at the console until their friends are ready to play. When I want to schedule a match with a friend on PS4 I need to coordinate using social media first, or pray that they are online and notice my invite.

Voice chat, I'm not sure. As it stands, voice chat through the console, at the very least as a choice, would be preferable. I assume there are a suite of sub-apps that are coming in the next 12 months that will make the switch online app make more sense as a whole, so it's difficult to make a definitive statement right now.

Maybe that's a PS4 problem then. I know that I can message people on my Xbox friend's list using the Xbox app, and we can create private groups for our friends, schedule game times, create an LFG if we need more bodies, post group or private messages, etc. And this pipes from the app directly to a person on their console without them needing to also be in the app. And then we don't need the app if we want to voice chat.

The Nintendo option does not sound easier or more convenient for anyone, hardcore or not.

Regarding game invites, yes. I believe it will be less convenient for hardcore gamers, but more convenient for people with less free time and don't want to be at the console until their friends are ready to play. When I want to schedule a match with a friend on PS4 I need to coordinate using social media first, or pray that they are online and notice my invite. On Switch I assume people can join directly from a push notification on the phone.
everyone just uses discord for that though, which conveniently also has voice chat. If you just wanted to check if your friends are online and playing something, discord and steam do that for PC on mobile apps, and PSN does that for PS4.

Phu

Banned
This is what I suspect as well, especially when there's evidence showing that the Switch itself could handle it.

As if we needed evidence to show the Switch could handle voice chat in the first place. I'd bet my toaster over could handle voice chat if I jammed an audio port into it.

haimon

This is Trump level stupid.

The original idea was extremely idiotic and they managed to make it even stupider.

I wish and hope every and all games with online have the scores reduced and hope they flop in sales. Nintendo deserve to be called out for this idiocy.

Erm, you can send people messages on their phones using the PS Messaging app. It even sends push notifications just like regular texts. It sounds like you've never tried to set up a gaming session on the PS4 before. What is this Nintendo app doing that's better than that?

As for the future of the app, we can't speak to it. All we can do now is lament the horrible execution they've put out at this point.

PetrCobra

I thought they were going to make it work decently, so that everyone would just say "well this is bullshit, and why do I have to use my phone, but at least it works", but no. The fact that the voice chat cuts off once the phone turns off the display is in itself a sign that they didn't really think the whole thing through, much less give it the basic minimum amount of testing.

catbrush

Maybe that's a PS4 problem then. I know that I can message people on my Xbox friend's list using the Xbox app, and we can create private groups for our friends, schedule game times, create an LFG if we need more bodies, post group or private messages, etc. And this pipes from the app directly to a person on their console without them needing to also be in the app. And then we don't need the app if we want to voice chat.

The Nintendo option does not sound easier or more convenient for anyone, hardcore or not.
This sounds similar to the PS4 app, and very convenient when people are using the app. How widely adopted is the app though, if it's not required? Most people do not use it, so if they are offline they cannot be invited without coordinating through other means.

This sounds similar to the PS4 app, and very convenient when people are using the app. How widely adopted is the app though, if it's not required? Most people do not use it, so if they are offline they cannot be invited without coordinating through other means.
So your baseline state is assuming wider adoption of the Nintendo app over the PS app based on... what?

It's only required for voice chat, and the extra hurdles involved there don't give me confidence that people are going to be chomping at the bit to do that.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I thought they were going to make it work decently, so that everyone would just say "well this is bullshit, and why do I have to use my phone, but at least it works", but no. The fact that the voice chat cuts off once the phone turns off the display is in itself a sign that they didn't really think the whole thing through, much less give it the basic minimum amount of testing.

This limitation of needing screen on and full attention just makes no sense for the functionality. I just find it hard to believe they could not hire a competent app developer to do this another way.

It effectively requires you to change sleep/screen off settings for this app alone.

Think this has confirmed that nobody at Nintendo has any idea what the fuck they are doing when it comes to online stuff.

Didn't even realise that you could make it so an app stops when you pull down the notification panel. Suppose that says something.

NimbusD

It should at least reflect the fact that queuing up with friends isn't existent and the bit of ability you have to actually play with them is way overly complicated. Itself literally the reason Im doing a 180 on this game. Just not worth the hassle.

flkraven

But you don't need to use the app. Messages go to your console too. As do group messages, etc.

Do you mean that you want to make 100% sure that the person you are trying to communicate with has the app in their pocket so that they will schedule game sessions with you? If you have an Xbox (or a Playstation), and if you care about that, you have the app. If you don't, you don't. I don't understand how this changes with Nintendo's system, only that it's now worse.

Wiped89

This limitation of needing screen on and full attention just makes no sense for the functionality. I just find it hard to believe they could not hire a competent app developer to do this another way.

It effectively requires you to change sleep/screen off settings for this app alone.

WAIT, so not only does the app require the screen to be on at all times, but the app also doesn't override the phone settings and keep the screen on itself when in use? (like Netflix keeps the screen on when watching stuff). You have to keep tapping the screen to keep it awake and not shutting the app off?

That's not right, surely?

ayob

i cant believe that while developing this at nintendo the actual developers and higher ups all agreed that this was a good idea

Top Bottom